• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
4EqJklO.jpg

My HG Turn A, needs a little touching up and to be panel lined but I'm pleased at how it's coming along.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
need a little advice. do you need to apply black gloss coat before applying Tamiya Acrylic X-12 Gold Leaf? there are a couple guide I read that mention that it's important to have smooth black gloss coat first before applying gold paint to get that shiny metalic look. I'm trying to paint SDCS Phenex. just wonder if that will make the gold look darker, or do I just add enough layer of gold paint until it look bright?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
need a little advice. do you need to apply black gloss coat before applying Tamiya Acrylic X-12 Gold Leaf? there are a couple guide I read that mention that it's important to have smooth black gloss coat first before applying gold paint to get that shiny metalic look. I'm trying to paint SDCS Phenex. just wonder if that will make the gold look darker, or do I just add enough layer of gold paint until it look bright?

Using a little jar for brush/air brush or just gonna spray can it?

Currently using silver leaf in a spray can and its quite shiny/metallic for me. (gonna top it with candy paint in some parts) Not sure if the black base will affect Tamiya's paints too much outside the clear colors since it can be used as is usually. It most likely will make it look slightly darker/balance it out visually depending how many layers you use. Not sure since I'm using Silver as my base before topping with Candy Green at the moment.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Using a little jar for brush/air brush or just gonna spray can it?

Currently using silver leaf in a spray can and its quite shiny/metallic for me. (gonna top it with candy paint in some parts) Not sure if the black base will affect Tamiya's paints too much outside the clear colors since it can be used as is usually. It most likely will make it look slightly darker/balance it out visually depending how many layers you use. Not sure since I'm using Silver as my base before topping with Candy Green at the moment.
I have airbrush. Hmm, maybe I haven't shake the spray paint long enough. As I mention, it's an old can. I haven't made any gunpla for awhile.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I have airbrush. Hmm, maybe I haven't shake the spray paint long enough. As I mention, it's an old can. I haven't made any gunpla for awhile.

I'd base it with black gloss then, like williamsan. I'd imagine you'd get an effect like his Turn-A

edit: heres a pic from when I used tamiya's gold leaf, from the little jar not a rattle can. The darker gold is the gold leaf, the lighter is tamiya rattle can metallic gold.
DbBlltkU8AEMF1w.jpg

DeDcOlZVwAAp-G1.jpg

I did not base it in black which I regret a bit, smudged a bit in a few spots, and its brush painted since the areas I used it were smaller so its pretty thick in comparison.

Last edited:

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
I'd base it with black gloss then, like williamsan. I'd imagine you'd get an effect like his Turn-A

edit: heres a pic from when I used tamiya's gold leaf, from the little jar not a rattle can. The darker gold is the gold leaf, the lighter is tamiya rattle can metallic gold.
DbBlltkU8AEMF1w.jpg

DeDcOlZVwAAp-G1.jpg

I did not base it in black which I regret a bit, smudged a bit in a few spots, and its brush painted since the areas I used it were smaller so its pretty thick in comparison.

I was wondering what the metallic gold looked like, I almost got that instead of the normal gold but balked at the price ($21...whoo boy). That's the look I was going for though, the next gilded HG Mobile Suit I paint will have it for sure.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok I've been encouraged by a buddy who does gunpla too to try real grade, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'm still heavy uc at the moment till I start some non uc shows so something non uc and perhaps something with an unusual design would be fun. But if we go more standard does the Turn A have a good one?

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I've been encouraged by a buddy who does gunpla too to try real grade, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'm still heavy uc at the moment till I start some non uc shows so something non uc and perhaps something with an unusual design would be fun. But if we go more standard does the Turn A have a good one?
Turn A doesn't have any RG sets.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Ha well figured I'd ask since I kinda like it's spin on the standard Gundam look since I randomly saw it.

Ok then, any good non universal century suggestions for a RG? Preferably something unique looking
Tallgeese, Exia, Astray Red Frame, Astray Gold Frame Amatsu Mina are a couple non-UC RGs I quite enjoy. Of these the Amatsu Mina would be the most unique looking, of course.

rg-mbf-p01-re2-gundam-astray-gold-frame-amatsu-mina-12.jpg

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if you're looking for a RG of an unusual/unique non-UC design, the Gold Frame Amatsu Mina is the one for you.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Update on Voltrex (Hexa Gear). 50% done. The remaining portions are lower body, two legs and tail. Only the wheel is painted in silver by airbrush. Parts in red are pre-painted.
9J2udkJ.jpg

Last edited:

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Work in Progress for SDCS Phenex so far. my airbrushing is a bit sloppy and I think I'll have to paint some parts again. can I add topcoat on the final result? will it dull the metallic look. should I use gloss or semi gloss for top coat?
straight build
qC8wO1J.jpg

painted with Mr Hobby Acrysion N9 Gold
LYt3enU.jpg

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Update on Voltrex (Hexa Gear). 50% done. The remaining portions are lower body, two legs and tail. Only the wheel is painted in silver by airbrush. Parts in red are pre-painted.
9J2udkJ.jpg

Hey, you're actually working on it! Other than the wheel you painting nothing? Because the gray/black on the body almost looks painted.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Finished the RG Exia, so here's a group shot (still waiting on the summer sun to come back so that I can take some decently lit photos):
xAi9zUv.jpg

I'm a bit conflicted on the RG pilots. I'm kinda interested in trying to paint them (once I get some colours), though at the same time I do like their full-colour look.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
You'll all have to forgive the image spam again because, in the same way that the Efreet Custom is my favourite monoeye-type Zeon mobile suit, Hi-v is my favourite Gundam-type EFSF mobile suit.
The complexity and other real life matters meant that this build took far too long. So much that my gunpla photography backlog (kits I have finished but I haven't had the time to takes photos of) is completely empty.
Just building the 6 fin funnels was more work than a simple HG. As a result, I'm slightly burnt out and I've decided that my next builds will be extremely simple affairs.

D0qVggcWkAQYPS1.jpg

D0qVhz_WoAAHp04.jpg

D0qVjKAWwAILzF6.jpg

D0qVkZIX4AUjK4T.jpg

Bonus comparison pic with the HG I built years ago. Only 2 of the 6 fin funnels are articulated in the HG. The other 4 are fixed in the closed pose but it's hardly noticeable when they are attached.

D0qVmKqX0AAklI_.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Thanks. Hi-v has such a sexy design that I'm planning to leave it in the most prominent area of the shelf for a long time even though I usually rotate the kit there with my latest build.
I prefer this version of the Hi-v to the one in the novel (more or less the Ver.Ka one) because it looks slimmer (Ver.Ka I find slightly too bulky) and the fin funnels look perkier (the ones in Ver.Ka I find a bit droopy).

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Finished the Gustav Karl. Easy to make and quite beefy. The torso connector to the legs is way too lose though meaning it has to be picked up from the legs, which isn't too much a problem. Cloudy day so its hard to get a good picture. It came out pretty well imo, Silver Leaf, Candy Green, Gold accents. The red is default to the kit but I think it looks good. Glossed this one since I wanted it to look shiny. Maybe needs/needed a few marking decals but I'm happy with its look IRL.

D0s8jP_VAAAEi4U.jpg

D0s8lVkU0AAmTiV.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Good job. I always enjoy custom colour schemes even though I'm too much of a coward to try them myself.
For some reason, with those colours if someone told me it's from 00 I'd believe them.
I didn't even realise while watching Unicorn that the Gustav Karl had that shoulder shield.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Anyone have recommendations for where to get Mr. Color paints. This Aoshima kit has 9 colors listed and I didn't think to order them ahead of time. Stopped at a hobby store and grabbed a basic black and gold Citadel, but I don't think they will do the trick

edit: or are there other paint brands recommended?

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Good job. I always enjoy custom colour schemes even though I'm too much of a coward to try them myself.
For some reason, with those colours if someone told me it's from 00 I'd believe them.
I didn't even realise while watching Unicorn that the Gustav Karl had that shoulder shield.

Haha yeah, hopefully I can get better pictures soon, it came out better than the pics show. Might just be one of those things that looks best in person/with a not crap camera.

And the shield I did not notice before either, given how quick they Karl's are taken out in their appearance its not a very noticeable piece of its loadout.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
With Spring Break around the corner I can't wait to dig into this bad boy:

l5hJ5pZ_d.jpg

Going to finally try my hand at water slides too, so hopefully that goes well!

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I loved Gundam as a kid and built a couple cheap 1/144 models back in the day. Well last year on a whim I bought a 1/100 Gundam 2.0 and I haven't been able to stop. So I figure it's time to show them off. Nothing too fancy, just some panel lining, minimal paint and some decals. I'm happy with them though.
0CjXnqt.jpg

zeMpVVh.jpg
UMSqafH.jpg

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Lookin' good. I have a feeling I'm going to start moving toward buying more MGs once I get the initial impulse to collect a ton of kits out of my system.

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, After the Zaku I'll probably slow way down but man it's been a lot of fun. Now I gotta catch up on the UC timeline. I hear Unicorn is ok.

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
So I loved Gundam as a kid and built a couple cheap 1/144 models back in the day. Well last year on a whim I bought a 1/100 Gundam 2.0 and I haven't been able to stop. So I figure it's time to show them off. Nothing too fancy, just some panel lining, minimal paint and some decals. I'm happy with them though.
0CjXnqt.jpg

zeMpVVh.jpg
UMSqafH.jpg

They look so clean! I just finished a 3.0 RX-78 and I have to say I like it better than the 2.0, which I nearly got instead. I'm such a whore for part separation

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Paying the gaijin tax but it's on its way.

The RG is but a distant dream, because I'm not spending $600 on the blu-ray box for it (and I can't find it for sale alone online yet). So the HG will have to do.

p.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I hate the concept of limited editions of what are, essentially, mass production goods: that is plastic models.
It's hard for me to see it as anything other than artificial scarcity to drive margins up, specially nowadays when the systems exist for online pre-orders to avoid the risk of over-production and worldwide distribution is easier than ever.

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally done with my custom build:

This was definitely a lot more work than I expected, especially compared to other models I've built. I had a lot of problems with this one:
  • The painting itself took much more effort than I though it would. While the kit itself is small it has a lot of surface area and a lot of places that are quite hard to reach.
  • The movable parts are problematic. I thought adding paint would stiffen the joints and make it easier to pose, but somehow the exact opposite has happened. Posing this is a real pain now since most of the joints are really loose now.
  • Bandai plastic definitely becomes brittle when exposed to enamel paint/thinners. I though this wouldn't be a problem since I only applied enamel paint/thinners over several layers of acrylic paint, but I guess some of the enamel washes/filters seeped under the spaces between parts because three of the parts cracked. Nothing major thankfully, but definitely annoying.
  • There were a lot of times where I had to take the kit apart to paint it and then had to put it back together because I wanted to see how it all looks together.
I'm quite satisfied with the end result though. Compared to my previous builds, I fee like this is the best one yet. The weathering definitely came together better than in my past attempts, and I'm much more satisfied with how the overall painting looks. I especially like how the legs look:

There's some more pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/HKAACEO.
And a build log with some descriptions of how I did things here: https://imgur.com/a/u6iNfLE.

I have some more gunpla in my stash, but I think my next build will be something more straightforward.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The painting itself took much more effort than I though it would. While the kit itself is small it has a lot of surface area and a lot of places that are quite hard to reach.
Welcome to humanoid kits where reaching everything is a nightmare if you paint things once assembled. I guess that's why some folks paint certain pieces prior to assembly.
Compared to a robot, painting the hard to reach parts in something like a boat or a submarine is easy peasy.
The ReZEL looks excellent and, as I suspected I would, I like the contrast the shiny visor provides.

Last edited:
OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ReZEL looks excellent and, as I suspected I would, I like the contrast the shiny visor provides.
Thanks. I wanted to add some more shiny parts to the shoulders, but I just couldn't make it look good. My plan of transparent yellow over metallic paint didn't work at all.