Plastic Scale Modelling |OT| Gunpla and Everything Else

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It has come! Shining fingeeeeerrrrrrr!!!!!

Cept looking at the kit it’s begging for panel lining at the least and maybe some further detailing on the boosters for charge mode...

Ok guys this is what I have for detailing:

Any good guides or advice on how i should do this? While still on the frame is recommended right?
Those are the thick gundam markers? As far as I know they are not used for panel lining. I use mine to cover surfaces that I have sanded nubs.

For panel lining I use either the thin-tippped ones or the liquid ones.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Those are the thick gundam markers? As far as I know they are not used for panel lining. I use mine to cover surfaces that I have sanded nubs.

For panel lining I use either the thin-tippped ones or the liquid ones.
The right one is for panel lining and is smaller I believe, the rest are for detailing i think. On the flip side there’s quite a few spots in this guy that need detailing

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The Catalan Republic
Not gonna lie, I'd already been thinking about getting it for two reasons. I've yet to build a RE/100 kit, and I've never built a Zaku before.
I was gonna add to my previous comment that your builds seem to have a higher percentage of Gundams than Zeon suits but I seem to recall either a Sazabi or a Sinanju.
I found interesting what Okawara says in the recent Gundam documentary, that Zakus are where he had creative freedom because all Tomino wanted from them was that they had a monoeye while for the Federation suits he was constrained by what the toy makers and the animation staff wanted.

The Sum of Zero

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AL, USA
You remember correctly. There's only 4 non-Gundam Gunpla kits I've built.

HG Grahams Union Flag Custom
RG Sinanju
HGAC Leo
RG Sazabi

I really should branch out into grunt suits.

Aries Zeigald

Oct 27, 2017
I was planning on taking a break after the Crossbone but my Barnes & Noble knows how to get me.

But after this, nothing for a few weeks until I can get the RG Nu.
Very nice. I've already picked one up as well but haven't gone around to building it as I'm still working on the MG Char Zaku II. One thing to watch out for is the very tight wrist, as I've read a lot that some have broken theirs just from twisting.

On-topic of Zeon/enemy suits, I myself have only bought the MG Char Zaku II 2.0 and the HG Origin Char Zaku II due to just having finished watching Gundam The Origin and being hyped as fuck. After the excitement died down and now actually building the MG Zaku, I'm left feeling kinda meh about Zeon suits. The only Zeon suits that I actually like are the Kampfer, Sinanju, Sazabi, Kshatrya, and Hyaku Shiki (if you count AEUG as kinda Zeon). I'm probably done buying any other Zeon suit and have no interest getting the likes of Marasai, Gelgoog, Gyan, etc.

I don't like Feddie grunt suits either, but the MG GM Command Colony Type has left me very impressed, and I'm still looking for the MG GM Sniper II. Jesta is awesome as well.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hmmm a brown bagged box with a Japanese shipping label, I wonder what it could be

Tada! It’s nice to have a backlog again

Kinda interesting to see how things have changed, the MG box is only slightly bigger...
I definitely think I want to use my Shining Gundam for my first panel lining practice but I still need advice and tips

Again this is what I have, only the right most one is for panel lining, the others are for detail painting like the Vulcans on the RX-78-2 HG that are just white.

I am wondering if I can get away for using the yellow paint marker for the charge mode leg boosters on the shining though

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The Catalan Republic
Again this is what I have, only the right most one is for panel lining, the others are for detail painting like the Vulcans on the RX-78-2 HG that are just white.
That panel lining pen has a soft tip. It's good for hard to reach places but if you go too hard on it by applying too much pressure you'll eventually destroy the tip.
The ink on that one IIRC is grey which is good for white plastic but it would be barely visible in anything darker like red and totally unnoticeable on blue where black ink is recommended.

The metallic on the left is nice for doing some detailing in stuff like hydraulic cylinders.

The Sum of Zero

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AL, USA
So, the Alex. I always hated the chobham armor, both in the show and on my old MSiA. But here it just works. Maybe it's the face mask they added, but I was seriously tempted to just leave it armored up.

The build was actually pretty easy. Felt like an older MG but that's fine, I found it fun and relaxing.

Tried not to do anything too crazy with the wrists because they're tight as hell. Wish I'd seen that warning before I build the arms. And there may be a few stress marks, my nippers need to be replaced.

Few more pics here: https://ibb.co/album/b9uQ1F

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So, the Alex. I always hated the chobham armor, both in the show and on my old MSiA. But here it just works. Maybe it's the face mask they added, but I was seriously tempted to just leave it armored up.

The build was actually pretty easy. Felt like an older MG but that's fine, I found it fun and relaxing.

Tried not to do anything too crazy with the wrists because they're tight as hell. Wish I'd seen that warning before I build the arms. And there may be a few stress marks, my nippers need to be replaced.

Few more pics here: https://ibb.co/album/b9uQ1F
There's something cute about that face that seems to work with the chunky armour lol.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Say xEik do you think I could use that gunmetallic Gundam marker to color the super mode pieces that are just grey and lack stickers on the Shining Gundam? Wouldn’t nessecarily be the perfect exact color but it’s what I have to work with. Any tips would be welcome

Also considering using the proper markers on my fuunsaiki since a lot of it’s red and yellow detail spots it’s lacking

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The Catalan Republic
I wouldn't expect a super shiny finish by using the gunmetallicence pen, specially on large flat surfaces.
The colour definitely looks metallic but the finish is more on the dull side.
Just try to use it on the spare plastic of the runners and let it dry to see for yourself what appearance you get with it.
There is one pen (not included in that set) that is specifically gold colour but I haven't tried it so I don’t know how it looks.
For Fuunsaiki, I'd say go for it. Pens are OK for small details. Alternatively, you can use a small brush, if you have one, to help you better distribute the paint applied by the pen.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
7 Years After Build My First RG Freedom (which it's broken now and I already order used for replacement)
Now, I build MY Second RG, RX 78 2. The Tiny Part is still a nightmare.