• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I like how the RG Tallgeese turned out. But I also need to finish the Action Base I have so I can pose it with thrusters and all. Looks way too plain at the moment.

Dx7i5yPUcAAGIFG.jpg:orig

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
If people find themselves wanting to take a photo in a somewhat dynamic pose but they have no action base available, shooting while kneeling on one knee is a feasible stable alternative.

Nov 3, 2017
Hey guys, any opinions on using coloured pencils for shading? I'm building some Figure Rise Dragon Ball kits and I won't be able to weather the clothing folds with the paints I generally use. Thinking of trying some shading with coloured pencils instead, but I'm not sure how well they'll hold to the model

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Hey guys, any opinions on using coloured pencils for shading? I'm building some Figure Rise Dragon Ball kits and I won't be able to weather the clothing folds with the paints I generally use. Thinking of trying some shading with coloured pencils instead, but I'm not sure how well they'll hold to the model

I think if you top coat afterwards it's should be fine.

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend a brush size for weathering? The brush I have is a little too big, what do most people use, brush size number? If that's a thing lol.
I'm not really an expert in weathering, but for most detail work, sizes like 000 (aka 3/0), 5/0, or even 20/0 are commonly used (with more zeroes indicating a smaller size). The smallest I have is a 3/0 and I often feel like that's too big so I'd recommend something smaller. I can't really think of a situation where a brush would be too small for painting/weathering details.
The first thing that comes to mind is this video that shows off one way of shading with pencils (though admittedly on something completely different):

So it looks possible, but getting an effect that isn't way too strong might be problematic.

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'm not really an expert in weathering, but for most detail work, sizes like 000 (aka 3/0), 5/0, or even 20/0 are commonly used (with more zeroes indicating a smaller size). The smallest I have is a 3/0 and I often feel like that's too big so I'd recommend something smaller. I can't really think of a situation where a brush would be too small for painting/weathering details.

The first thing that comes to mind is this video that shows off one way of shading with pencils (though admittedly on something completely different):

So it looks possible, but getting an effect that isn't way too strong might be problematic.

Thanks for the info.

Regarding shading, I've seen videos of people using the Tamiya Weathering kits, I think it's kit B with the soot color, to add contrast/shading. I use those kits for weathering and it's easy enough to blend, lighten, even remove if you're not happy with the intensity.

Picked this up on my lunch break, and the baby version to work on with my kid.
7Pq0MeUh.jpg

Will try to resist damaging this kit, maybe take a shot at some shading.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, these Metal Gear figures are even smaller than I thought. I don't have a steady enough hand for this.
L1qFQfe.png

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'm going to give it a go and do some detailing with metallic Sharpies. Saw a video on YouTube and the results looked decent enough.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I have one build finished and waiting for pictures and another one nearly finished, but my workspace is in a cold part of the house and this weather has made it really hard to find motivation.

How many of you guys paint your gunpla? I tried one time with a HGUC zaku 2. I never finished. Didn't use air brush.

I do at least a little bit of detail painting on most of my builds now, but if I can work out a way to do the proper ventilation, I'd like to get an airbrush. If nothing else, it would at least allow me to topcoat during the cold and/or humid parts of the year.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
Ah, I still have that same pile of Gunpla, untouched. Winters here preclude opening the windows to vent my hobby room <cries>.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
HGBF MS-09R-35 Dom R35
Not much to comment on this. There's almost too much blue only broken by the occasional white and grey but it's a Ramba Ral (or rather Mr. Ral) unit so what are you gonna do?
For an HG, the eye mechanism is exceptionally nice. Instead of your typical round pink sticker on a black surface that imposes a fixed position, you get a movable piece (where you place the sticker) behind a clear part so you can reposition it whenever you want.
Last, I've said it before but I'm a strong proponent of trimming the little flags in the HG antennae and this kit illustrates it nicely. Without the flags the antenna looks sharp and pointy (as it should).

DyeVxeoWkAAx2lp.jpg

DyeVyrLWsAM-kpy.jpg

DyeVz37XQAENcC5.jpg

DyeV1EOWoAAyjsL.jpg

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After some light chipping and a lot of decals, I feel like I'm almost done now. All that's left is some weathering, some decals on the guns and detail painting for the shiny parts. I'm happy with how this is turning out:

The paint-job has turned out better than my previous builds, with shading that's actually visible even in low light. It's still quite sloppy in a lot of places, but that only really shows in close-up photos like these.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dengeki Hobby got a sample kit of the MG Dynames and showed off a gimmick we haven't seen yet.

mg-gundam-dynames-dengeki%2B%252813%2529.jpg

mg-gundam-dynames-dengeki%2B%252812%2529.jpg

Last edited:

MrDoctor

Oct 26, 2017
USA
trying to get into gunpla more seriously and i'm having a major problem with stress marks. don't know if my knife isn't sharp enough or it's the blade, but most of the time i can't cut the plastic without using the nippers

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
After some light chipping and a lot of decals, I feel like I'm almost done now. All that's left is some weathering, some decals on the guns and detail painting for the shiny parts. I'm happy with how this is turning out:

The paint-job has turned out better than my previous builds, with shading that's actually visible even in low light. It's still quite sloppy in a lot of places, but that only really shows in close-up photos like these.

That's some really solid work.

trying to get into gunpla more seriously and i'm having a major problem with stress marks. don't know if my knife isn't sharp enough or it's the blade, but most of the time i can't cut the plastic without using the nippers

What nippers are you using? Are you removing the part with the sprues from the runner before removing the sprues?

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit, that looks awesome!

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Typically use nippers twice. First, to cut from the runner cutting away from the piece to avoid stress marks. Second, close to the part to remove that little extra plastic.
To finish you can then use a hobby knife or sandpaper.
You are at step one in that photo. Don't skip step two trying to use a hobby knife in that state.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Probably a matter of opinion but for step two I tend to leave less than half a millimetre. Just enough that using a hobby knife works on it comfortably. I'm certainly not using the nippers to try to cut absolutely as close as possible to the surface since this is likely to leave stress marks.
The key is that the hobby knife works better but only as long as it is shaving thin layers of plastic. Using a hobby knife on a big nub risks breaking it instead of shaving it.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Can you 3D print model kits?

I googled it and while I get some results, most of the stuff I see is not very high quality. They look kind of waxy. Maybe I'm not searching properly.

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
Can you 3D print model kits?

I googled it and while I get some results, most of the stuff I see is not very high quality. They look kind of waxy. Maybe I'm not searching properly.
You can 3d print parts for gunpla, but they will need a lot of work to smooth out and finish it if you are using a normal 3D printer. If you are using a UV resin printer, they come out much cleaner. However, it is an entirely different skill set when working with resin.

Here is an example conversion kit for MG Tallgeese. (uses a commercial printer)
https://www.shapeways.com/product/NDUPNRCAS/head-shoulders-and-knees-2-0?optionId=64110172

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone was waiting on the Armed Armor BS/VN for the RG Banshee, here you go. But it's a P-Bandai weapon set.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Going to build a kit this weekend may be a small one though. Been dealing with guests for almost two weeks straight now

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
If anything, I found it weird that the RG Full Armor Unicorn wasn't P-Bandai as it has been happening with other units like Strike Rouge or Astray Blue Frame that have regular Master Grades but don't seem to justify a regular release in RG form.

The schadenfreude provided by Riddhe haters when Bandai prioritizes his Banshee for the PG and RG to Marida's Banshee (that was prioritized for the MG) is an entirely different matter.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
This caught my eye.

64.jpg

They're milking the hell out of that Mazikaiser mold.

I am pretty indifferent towards Frame Arms Girls, but I dig Megami Devices. Much interesting designs overall.

This is from the MSG line though, so it is not necessary to use on FAG. It is compatible with Hexa Gears, usual Frame Arms and other stuff.

Nice.