• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for the rec Seductivpancakes . Decided to go with the Gundam MK II, since I keep hearing about how good the RG version is, and since the MK II is my second favourite UC Gundam after Unicorn

The store only had the Titans version which worked out well for me since I've already got the MG standard version of the MK II

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of building my first RG. Any recommendations for which kits to try? I've heard a bunch of them can be pretty findly

Aesthetic wise, I like One Year War Zeon suits, but I'm pretty happy to build anything
I've heard the HGUC the Origin Zaku is pretty much a better choice than the RG.

I would recommend the RG Char's Z'gok. It's a real nice kit and quite different from other kits.

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I were to paint a kit with acrylic, would I then need some kind of "coat" to cover it and panel line it?
If you're planning to use a panel line wash (something like Tamiya panel line accent color for example) than putting a gloss clear coat over the paint is a good idea for two reasons:
  1. The washes flow better over a gloss surface.
  2. Such washes are mostly enamel based (acrylic ones do exist, but aren't as common), and some enamel thinners can dissolve acrylic paint. An extra coat of paint theoretically gives you some extra protection. I've never had that happen to me though, so I can't say how big of a deal it is in practice.
An additional important note is that for an enamel wash, the clear coat needs to be acrylic (or lacquer, I think). With washes, you always need to do some clean-up using enamel thinner, and doing that over an enamel clear coat would also likely wipe the clear coat away.

I don't personally know how this applies to panel lining with a marker. I would imagine clean-up would be easier on a glossy surface so a gloss coat might help. I don't know how much it matters though.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
If you're planning to use a panel line wash (something like Tamiya panel line accent color for example) than putting a gloss clear coat over the paint is a good idea for two reasons:
  1. The washes flow better over a gloss surface.
  2. Such washes are mostly enamel based (acrylic ones do exist, but aren't as common), and some enamel thinners can dissolve acrylic paint. An extra coat of paint theoretically gives you some extra protection. I've never had that happen to me though, so I can't say how big of a deal it is in practice.
An additional important note is that for an enamel wash, the clear coat needs to be acrylic (or lacquer, I think). With washes, you always need to do some clean-up using enamel thinner, and doing that over an enamel clear coat would also likely wipe the clear coat away.

I don't personally know how this applies to panel lining with a marker. I would imagine clean-up would be easier on a glossy surface so a gloss coat might help. I don't know how much it matters though.
I'm using markers at the moment, but that's some useful information to keep in mind for the future, thanks!

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I use fine tip Gundam markers to panel line, and getting a nice smooth line is always more difficult over painted areas than on bare plastic. Keep your coats nice and thin. I don't know if a gloss coat is strictly necessary, but it won't hurt.

I've only been doing detail painting, so take my advice with whatever grain of salt that comes with.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I find it easiest to just make your own wash with water-based acrylics instead if you are doing it on bare plastic. If you are painting your kit with acrylics, then you'll need to topcoat it with a non-acrylic topcoat so that way your cleanup wont tear off the coat (as someone already mentioned)

Quinnzel

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
My second ever Gunpla kit came today, and even though I haven't watches Build Divers, I really like the design of the HG LEO NPD mobile suit.

vib64LL_d.jpg

Was pretty straight forward to build, but actually feels pretty flimsy and light. Right foot keeps disconnecting and the entire upper half feels barely connected to the lower half. Its fairly smaller and a bit of a disappointment compared to the Zaku II I built.

l5FfHIa_d.jpg

Aside that fact, I really enjoy its poseablity and its customization options (which is something I really wanna get into) and I might consider getting the Gundam Wing Leo HG if its a little more robust for my liking. In mean times, I'm still waiting on my HG Char Zaku arriving for my next build, and eyeing up some IBO kits.
Cta8kFh.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
eyeing up some IBO kits.
IBO kits, specially those with an inner frame, like say the Graze, have great engineering for an HG.
I can also recommend The Origin kits if you like Zakus even if they are more pricey than the older HGs.
I you ever want to go out of your comfort zone I can vouch for most Reconguista kits, they have very unique designs and the engineering is solid. However, the most Zaku-like thing in the line, the Space Jahannam, isn't particularly good.

Quinnzel

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
IBO kits, specially those with an inner frame, like say the Graze, have great engineering for an HG.
I can also recommend The Origin kits if you like Zakus even if they are more pricey than the older HGs.
I you ever want to go out of your comfort zone I can vouch for most Reconguista kits, they have very unique designs and the engineering is solid. However, the most Zaku-like thing in the line, the Space Jahannam, isn't particularly good.

Cheers for the advice! Was already looking at the Graze so that might be my purchase. Just looked at the origin zaku and it looks amazing (and worth the cash!) and ill check out the Reconguista. Been playing a ton of Gundam Breaker 3 to get a sense for what kits are out there, so wanting to start small, doing grunt units (like the jesta, graze etc) before ever touching anything mad like.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HGBF RGM-237C Powered GM Cardigan
I wish they made Fumina keep piloting regular MS. Having her relegated to SD was a waste. Even if it has a bunch of add-ons, as most of Build Fighters kits are wont to do, it still retains the utilitarian look that we love in GMs.
Apart from the usual panel lines, the only thing I painted was the grey in the middle of the backpack.

DziJLMiXQAEQdGt.jpg

DziJLMkWoAESlzH.jpg

DziJLMkXcAA8v69.jpg

DziJQFnWoAAh_Ez.jpg
panel lines look neat =)

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I ordered the RG Exia from Amazon.co.jp but it's not giving me an estimate delivery date (despite it being in stock). Hope it's just a bug and that it will still ship.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what I've been up to since the start of the year:

Still working on getting the "official" photos ready for each kit. Man, the Origin line is just nice. Strongly considering picking up one of the GM Cannon Space Assault Types...why that one is p-bandai and the interceptor was a normal release baffles me.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
You remind me I need to grab a good cutting mat when I go to the state capital next week. My current table has thick wood grain and several grooves and is on carpet. Will make my life a whole lot easier. Any suggestions?

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
TOIl6Ua.jpg

Snap built Blue Destiny Unit 3 yesterday. I was planning on painting it along with Unit 2, but I've decided to try my hand at one of those SD/HG kitbashes with Unit 2.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Say does anybody have a good suggestion for a cutting mat like the one in this pic?
I could really use o e
I use one by X-Acto, but any self-healing cutting mat should do. Just check Amazon for reviews, or check local craft/hobby stores. Buy whatever size fits your workspace best, but you probably want 12x18 at least, I'd think.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I've had a DIN A3 size self-healing mat from Olfa since forever and it has served me well.
My advice is to get the biggest size your work area will take without going overboard purely for comfort.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Xacto sounds good to me. I'll measure it to make sure but my table(which is also my diner table) is 4' x 4' unfolded I believe. And thanks for telling me self healing cutting mat that's what I was wondering

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I don't particularly like the look of the Crossbone, but the cloak makes it look great.

In other news, the RG Exia is indeed arriving soon. I haven't built anything in a while.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Poor Zaku II Kai. There's literally dozens of MG Zakus of the most obscure MSV shit you can imagine but it only gets a RE/100. Bernieeeeee!
I'm not too sure what Gundam Evolution Project implies in the context of Real Grade. It makes sense for HG in that they get more detail than they ever got and certain functional innovations but RG were already supposed to be at the Vanguard of gunpla innovation.

Not caring much about the Vigna Ghina but is the Vigna Ghina II they show on that Twitter account P-Bandai? I never liked most of the mobile suits from F91 or Crossbone that much, specially the antagonists'.

Last edited:

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm not too sure what Gundam Evolution Project implies in the context of Real Grade. It makes sense for HG in that they get more detail than they ever got and certain functional innovations but RG were already supposed to be at the Vanguard of gunpla innovation.
Ditto. No idea what GEP is and I thought RG would be the big boys of 1/144.

I don't particularly like the look of the Crossbone, but the cloak makes it look great.
Yeah I only like the cloak.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, this is only the second RG that's under the GEP line. The first was the Unicorn (which definitely was an evolution, being fully transformable in 1/144 scale).

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Looking at the GEP site it looks like an initiative to test new things they've never done before no matter the grade.
Technically, I'd say all PG and to some extent most RG and MG 2.0 or 3.0 kits already served the purpose before.
Not that I am complaining that Bandai has a project that drives innovation instead of outputting models in autopilot that aren't better than something from five years before. In any case, Bandai has always been fine at innovation except for when they turn to the "cheaper" kits. I don't believe there's a healthy market for the First Grade and similar segments.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty much what they are. And there's only 4 (now 5) GEP kits, each with a different Evolution Point

HGUC Zeta (Action)
RG Unicorn (Transformation)
PG Exia Lighting Edition (Lights Emitting)
HGAC Leo (Fine Build)
And now the RG Crossbone, whose evolution point is Extreme Detail.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I dream of a future where models come as pieces pre-cut from the tree using some laser technology that places each cut piece in a separate numbered segment of the plastic bag.
While I'm sure it would be really complex it has several advantages:
  • No time spent cleaning nubs
  • No more ugly nubs
  • Not including the tree saves transportation costs and box size even though these might be negligible
  • Lower barrier of entry for kids, no cutting tools needed for OOB builds
  • Easy to recycle plastic from the trees in accurate color since it's cut in the factory

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Say does anybody have a good suggestion for a cutting mat like the one in this pic?
I could really use o e

I used a cheap one I got from a craft store for a while and recently upgraded to a larger one. I don't think there's a way to go wrong as long as you're finding one that fits your workspace.

That's pretty much what they are. And there's only 4 (now 5) GEP kits, each with a different Evolution Point

HGUC Zeta (Action)
RG Unicorn (Transformation)
PG Exia Lighting Edition (Lights Emitting)
HGAC Leo (Fine Build)
And now the RG Crossbone, whose evolution point is Extreme Detail.

The news releases about GEP specifically call out action, build, and color as planned evolution points. We've seen action and build; I wonder what the GEP for color will look like.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Was doing an amazon order and realized I accidentally got credit rather than cas on a return so I gave into the hg revive Quebley as an impulse buy since it's an awesome suit... and the mg intimidates me XD hoping to start the f91 in a few weeks. Will look for a mat next time I run to town

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Bought the RG Sinanju for $26 shipped from the GameStop clearance sale (it's actually $17 now but in-store only lol). Haven't built any gunpla in absolutely forever. Don't have any of the supplies any more either, and I'm gearing up for a move soon and I won't be buying a bunch of supplies right now so the Sinanju won't be built for a while regardless. Once I move I'm gonna get some basic supplies and shake the rust off with the HG Revive RX-78-2 before I dive into the Sinanju.

This is a rambling, pointless post, so here's a photo of what I've built in the past:
bSQWeTD.jpg

God the Strike Noir is such an edgelord, I love it.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Finished the GBN-Guard Frame [HG] for my local gunpla stores build off competition.

yDeeDWDh.jpg

47182773051_50ec2e10bf_b.jpg

33307568258_637d503fea_b.jpg

47182772841_a52eaf8ca0_b.jpg

33307567538_6e69a760fb_b.jpg

47182772491_21b80a823d_b.jpg

Before damage and weathering
3vaupvVh.jpg

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just discovered a coworker does Gunpla(modding and competition level)
And discovered there are a handful of modern hg Future century... Shining, G and Master Gundam are now on my to order list

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I got a very late Christmas gift from family. Took me a week to get it finished. Jesus, this is my 4th RG Unicorn (after the original, Banshee Norn, and Bande Dessinee version). Bring on the Phenex, Bandai!

20190215-174814.jpg

20190224-203851.jpg

20190224-210226.jpg

I do like how you can attach the beam javelin to the gatling guns/shield ala the MG Ver. Ka. I prefer this to having to hold it.
20190224-210212.jpg

And in case anyone wondered, there's no sagging of the arms due to the weapons. I used to have the MG Ver. Ka and I can say with certainty that the RG blows it out of the water in every possible way.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Started making a Gustav Karl. I already started painting the grey parts silver... I got no actual plan for this thing so this will be interesting lol. Also grabbed some lime green paint. -shrug- might be ok lol. After getting home I had a better idea for a pearl white color but could not be bothered to go back to the store haha.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
The RG Exia arrived today, I can't wait to start working on it. I was wondering, is there a particular reason as to why the inner frame comes pre-built?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
The RG Exia arrived today, I can't wait to start working on it. I was wondering, is there a particular reason as to why the inner frame comes pre-built?
That's just the way the RG line is. I think they've been moving away from it to not fully pre built inner frames with more recent RGs like Unicorn and Sazabi.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Alright, round two of attempting to start model making. Order this scale of the UNSC Infinity. Hopefully this one actually arrives.

81FTTGtgh8L._SX466_.jpg

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Lol, that AE-86 model kit I ordered back in early January finally showed up. The seller shipped it without any tracking info and assumed it lost so refunded me already. Oh well.