• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the HMM line pretty much dead now thought.

Anyways, the seal on my airbrush nozzle's seal broke 1/2 through this guys wings, and I don't really plan to replace it so I'm basically on an indefinite break from painting and he'll be half finished for a while, I'll probably snap build everything in my backlog in the meantime so I can clear some space and toss boxes/sprues.[[

223Trux.jpg

Finally completed Voltrex. As stated in the previous post, only wheels are painted in silver (tires are rubber) by airbrush and red portions are pre-painted out of the box. I have no lightbox so please allow me to show these crappy shots.

Zoatex mode (basically, beast mode). Height is around 19cm.
FUBVuHJ.jpg

Vehicle mode (More complex than I expected. Need to remove parts from the main body to complete the build). I do not have a Governor so the seat remains empty.
OLPjpZv.jpg

Went for a "hunting" position for cool shot
9SiuUNv.jpg

One big feature of Hexa Gears line is its hexagonal connections parts, allowing parts from different kits to be interchangeable. The sprues for these hexagonal parts are named ア and イ sprues. I guess these are standardized sprues for all HG kits. This particular kit gives two for each sprue and there are lots of parts left unused. If I get another HG kits down the road (and I totally will), these parts will come in handy for customization.
1X9OBr4.jpg

nPbFFWr.jpg

Overall I am very impressed with the kit. Everything fits right and parts allocations are great. I purposely went for a difficult position to test its balancing and maneuverability and the kit can handle it easily. Being one of the two earliest HG kits produced, this is very impressive. Highly recommend to all.

Nice, the hexagear kits look really cook, this up coming one looks especially beasty.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the HMM line pretty much dead now thought.

Anyways, the seal on my airbrush nozzle's seal broke 1/2 through this guys wings, and I don't really plan to replace it so I'm basically on an indefinite break from painting and he'll be half finished for a while, I'll probably snap build everything in my backlog in the meantime so I can clear some space and toss boxes/sprues.[[

223Trux.jpg

Nice, the hexagear kits look really cook, this up coming one looks especially beasty.
Nice work. I really like the color of the main body. Hopefully you can get a new airbrush soon.

The last HMM product was released in Nov 2017, and they still have some old Zoids remaining for HMM revisions if they want to continue the product line. But Kotobukiya seems to focus on developing own series now as some of them (eg. Megami Device) are big hits.

Yeah, Lord Impulse looks really cool. I am tempted to pick it up.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Kotobukiya seems willing to do some reissues if there is demand even if they don't do them often.
We've recently had them for Metal Gear and Zone of the Enders. They are both Konami/Kojima related but I don't know whether the fact is relevant or not.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame they never got around to the Koenig Wolf but hey ho, it's a better semi revival than I ever expected zoids to get so I'm fine with it.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was done with the Figure-rise kits after being introduced to Figuarts but I ended up getting SSGSS Gogeta on a whim. Glad I did, he's pretty awesome.

szGKkuh.jpg

FEd71Ve.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Finished off the Quebley today!
LNkKtz5.jpg

Need to do some better pics, but just was doing a quick one, so many fun details on this one. I have Monday and Tuesday off and it seems a storm may be moving in so it's finally time to do my first Master Grade: F91.... the special stickers or dry slides kinda worry me
Then I'll need to put in a order or two, I'll only have two kits left on the backlog

Also still having fun watching G Gundam, kinda sad the other 4 of the big 5 don't have kits :( Bolt, Rose, Dragon and Master Gundam are all pretty cool. Shadow and Mummy Gundam are also cool

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I blind bought this a few months ago and I finally arrived:

but i didn't realize I needed to actually paint it............never painted a model before so in the box it stays for now until i'm ready to try that out.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phenex Unicorn Mode and Heine's Destiny Gundam are coming in HG, and neither are P-Bandai. Shocking.

Silver Bullet Supressor and HRM Astray Noir are shown as well.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Is that liquid chrome on the thruster and exhaust pipes(?)? How was it to work with?

You are correct, molotow liquid chrome, 2mm marker. It flows great and is self leveling, but I cannot stress it enough, the chrome needs a long time to cure. Also, it cannot be touched, ever. Even after curing, I wore rubber gloves posing the kit just to be safe, also clear destroys the polished look. Thruster and pipe chroming was straight forward, but i had a tough time with the little pistons on the arms and legs since the pistons were cast into the arm piece vs being separate pieces like the pipes and thrusters. Long story short, my best results were when I chromed the pistons, let them cure, cleaned up excess, top coated the arm, and rechromed the pistons. This let me avoid reapplying the chrome super close to the non chrome parts, cheating a bit. I used a tooth pick to push the chrome into the tight areas that the marker tip couldn't fit in. I would pool some liquid chrome up on the part near the tight spot, and quickly work the liquid to tight spots before it began to setup.

Quinnzel

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Decided to step up and finally get my first RG today.
3P6KbhG.jpg

A week off next week so should be a fun build im hoping. Bought a couple of acrylic markers (plus a shiny liquid chrome one) and hoping to make use of them to do some panel lining on the small army of HG (and even the two FG Char Zaku II I picked up) I've amassed. Speaking of which:
Z7mpP12.jpg

I love the asymmetrical design on the Fenice, should be a nice afternoon build.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Posting the HG SVMS-01O Over Flag before a likely ban on Monday because of that Thanos thread.
Just as I was about to post this, I realised that the sticker in the lower part of the defense rod had partly unstuck but I cannot be bothered to take the photos again for such an unremarkable kit. (facepalm)
As it has happened to me before, with such an ugly flight mode I didn't even bother transforming it.
I tend to like grunt suits if they are an interesting build but this was exceedingly basic with very poor color separation for something that is predominantly black with a bit of white and grey.

D25nhzXX0AUyWfR.jpg

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think I'm gonna roll the dice on that Thanos thread. If I get snapped I'll have gotten my own place before it ends. I'll have some progress pics on the PG Unicorn by then.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Still one of the best looking things to come out of 00. Should have gotten the MG.
I hate skinny legs on mobile suits. At least, in this case, it's somewhat justified because if it has to fly, being lightweight is a plus.
It does have a NG 1/100 but I've never found it for a price low enough to tempt me.
So far, of what I've built, my favourite 00 MS is the white Astraea.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Finished the Gundam Mark 2 in the Titans (Best) Colors. I Put the build on hold halfway through to get a pair of God hand cutters, and those really make a difference.
lhjkMNGh.jpg

YzUo8n2h.jpg

UJBdf35h.jpg

lOBzKvUh.jpg

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yay, it came in.

Busy getting ready to move so it'll have to wait for a bit. Once I'm settled in it'll make a good warm up for the PG Unicorn.

H3PR2UY.jpg

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Finished the Gundam Mark 2 in the Titans (Best) Colors. I Put the build on hold halfway through to get a pair of God hand cutters, and those really make a difference.
lhjkMNGh.jpg

YzUo8n2h.jpg

UJBdf35h.jpg

lOBzKvUh.jpg

How was it working with the blue plastic and god hands? I have been considering a PG to build and the Mark 2 Titans, but was worried about working with that much blue lol.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Not built any robo buds in a while as I've been on a plane kick, so ordered a couple of RGs from the Banzai Hobby sale, the Justice and the Gundam MK-II.

First Gundam I'll have made since I got my airbrush too, so excited to do a properly painted build.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you without an airbrush, what's your topcoat of choice? I'm going on a spree now that the weather is cooperating with spray cans (5 kits covered so far this week), using Mr. Top Coat as well as Krylon's Matte Finish, and I'm digging the results from both, but my supply is running out.

Just trying to see if there's anything else I should be auditioning. Tamiya? Testor's is a no-go for my current process, as I'm panel lining with gundam markers and it has caused them to run.

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Tamiya ts-80(flat clear) is my go to jam, but it's a little pricey. Will be trying Valejo top coat on my next kit, cheapy test kit.

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those of you without an airbrush, what's your topcoat of choice? I'm going on a spree now that the weather is cooperating with spray cans (5 kits covered so far this week), using Mr. Top Coat as well as Krylon's Matte Finish, and I'm digging the results from both, but my supply is running out.

Just trying to see if there's anything else I should be auditioning. Tamiya? Testor's is a no-go for my current process, as I'm panel lining with gundam markers and it has caused them to run.
I've used a Revell spray can once before I got an airbrush. It seemed perfectly fine, though I don't really have anything to compare it too. It's acrylic, so I don't think it should mess up gundam markers.

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
Hello guys, I accidentaly bought 10 gundam SD because they are cheap and cute and they're great for training. I feel I'm making good progress and now I want to revisit some of my earlier builds so, my questions:

- Is it ok to top coat on top of everything else (gundam markers, decal already applied...)
- Should I try to dismantle them before coating? I feel like it's a bit risky

I guess my question is, when do you apply top coating? Can you do it after the fact.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Hello guys, I accidentaly bought 10 gundam SD because they are cheap and cute and they're great for training. I feel I'm making good progress and now I want to revisit some of my earlier builds so, my questions:

- Is it ok to top coat on top of everything else (gundam markers, decal already applied...)
- Should I try to dismantle them before coating? I feel like it's a bit risky

I guess my question is, when do you apply top coating? Can you do it after the fact.
I've been topcoating after decals. I think it's better that way. Dismantling is a mixed bag. I might make the legs, chest, arms, etc. and not put them into the complete model until I have put on decals and topcoated them. I wouldn't dismantle more than taking off a leg, arm, backpack etc. It's easier to topcoat when you don't have the full model to topcoat at once.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
It you want to get fancy with coats you can also do a gloss coat over your painting/lining etc first, then decals. Having the gloss surface makes the decals adhere a little better. Then stick a flat coat over that as your final layer.

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
For me a flat top coat transforms a kit into something special. My process for top coat is as follows, build all the parts for the kit, never attaching the assembled parts like legs, head, and arms to have a fully assembled model. I then apply panel lining, decals (stickers or water slides), damage or weathering, and then a light light skim coat of top coat, let that dry, then apply 2 more heavier coats to get full even coverage. If I'm doing detail paint work, I do that before top coat as well, usually as I'm assembling parts since some parts are best painted before to avoid masking and being as careful. Always remember the first coat should be pretty light if you've done panel lining with a gundam marker or similar, heavier coats can cause runs. The top coat also helps with making decals blend in better into the kit, depending on how much clear you put on. Finally, I don't like disassembling parts, too much risk in damaging or stressing pieces, for example the Sazabi RG was a nightmare to attach the shoulders, I would never want to do that twice, very fragile.

This is 3 coats of flat clear, on the left, no top coat on the right.

QhvVnMch.jpg

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
For me a flat top coat transforms a kit into something special. My process for top coat is as follows, build all the parts for the kit, never attaching the assembled parts like legs, head, and arms to have a fully assembled model. I then apply panel lining, decals (stickers or water slides), damage or weathering, and then a light light skim coat of top coat, let that dry, then apply 2 more heavier coats to get full even coverage. If I'm doing detail paint work, I do that before top coat as well, usually as I'm assembling parts since some parts are best painted before to avoid masking and being as careful. Always remember the first coat should be pretty light if you've done panel lining with a gundam marker or similar, heavier coats can cause runs. The top coat also helps with making decals blend in better into the kit, depending on how much clear you put on. Finally, I don't like disassembling parts, too much risk in damaging or stressing pieces, for example the Sazabi RG was a nightmare to attach the shoulders, I would never want to do that twice, very fragile.

This is 3 coats of flat clear, on the left, no top coat on the right.

QhvVnMch.jpg
Ahah, that's way out of my league. Here's what we are coming from (my first build):
B4kZ9fB.jpg

Here's the plan:
- fix the sloppy paint job
- remove the thin link between pieces, I don't know how you call that
- add more panel marker
- paint the hand and the gun
- coating!

let's see how much I can improve it.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
That is mecha sex.

PS. I really dislike the blue bandai logo. It has been a while and I still think it looks weird.