• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I decided to follow my gunpla build with something different for a change of pace. Most of the non-gunpla kits I've done so far were rather cheap and simple, so I've been wanting to do something a bit more complex for a while now. I stumbled across Takom's M3 Grant CDL and it seemed like a good choice since it was super recent (the kit was first released in 2017), had plenty of pieces and seemed to be fairly complex to put together (though still far from some other kits I saw). It took a while, but this is what I have so far:
zmN4VO0.jpg

The quality of this kit is definitely a huge step up from anything I've done before. My only other tank kit was from the 70s, and the difference between the two is huge. The detail is just really impressive with all the rivets, tiny parts and the included photo-etched metal parts. There's also neat little things like different parts having a different texture and tiny details like the serial numbers on the suspension:
ZfHxZ1Xh.jpg

I apologize for the dust, though I guess it does give a nice size reference for how small this is. Even the plastic itself feels really high-quality.

I'm looking forward to painting this up.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I decided to follow my gunpla build with something different for a change of pace. Most of the non-gunpla kits I've done so far were rather cheap and simple, so I've been wanting to do something a bit more complex for a while now. I stumbled across Takom's M3 Grant CDL and it seemed like a good choice since it was super recent (the kit was first released in 2017), had plenty of pieces and seemed to be fairly complex to put together (though still far from some other kits I saw). It took a while, but this is what I have so far:
zmN4VO0.jpg

The quality of this kit is definitely a huge step up from anything I've done before. My only other tank kit was from the 70s, and the difference between the two is huge. The detail is just really impressive with all the rivets, tiny parts and the included photo-etched metal parts. There's also neat little things like different parts having a different texture and tiny details like the serial numbers on the suspension:
ZfHxZ1Xh.jpg

I apologize for the dust, though I guess it does give a nice size reference for how small this is. Even the plastic itself feels really high-quality.

I'm looking forward to painting this up.

This looks so much better than that old Tamiya tank I bought.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Still have details and detailing work to do, but after like five months or so of off-and-on building (mostly off for the last couple), my Unicorn is done.

D4P7djaUcAAdodb.jpg

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
pLJdD1V_d.jpg

Here's a WIP shot of my Black Tri Stars Origin Zaku High Mobility Type that I snapped last week. Haven't had as much time as I'd like to work on it with the semester coming to a close, but it's shaping up nicely I think.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Do you guys have any recommended kit to try painting? I was thinking of getting another HG RX-78-2, since it's among the cheapest and simplest.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys have any recommended kit to try painting? I was thinking of getting another HG RX-78-2, since it's among the cheapest and simplest.
Honestly, anything that you can get for cheap is a good bet to start painting with. I'd personally recommend something with a more mono-colored color scheme (A Zaku or a GM, for instance) because it's a bit easier to start with less colors than more.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I started work on an RG RX782. I'm panel lining and applying stickers as I go this time so I don't get overwhelmed at the end, as I often do.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a WIP shot of my Black Tri Stars Origin Zaku High Mobility Type that I snapped last week. Haven't had as much time as I'd like to work on it with the semester coming to a close, but it's shaping up nicely I think.

Having just about finished an out of box build on one of these this week, those colors look much better that what it's molded in.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Having just about finished an out of box build on one of these this week, those colors look much better that what it's molded in.
Aw thanks! I really wanted to go for a gloss black color rather than the dark blue that it's molded in. I thought it was weird that the Black Tri Stars Zaku wasn't, well, black lol

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RG Nu Gundam has now been officially a revealed!
dmJkH9i.jpg

I love the design so I guess I'll be getting this somewhere in the future.

Also, I noticed that the community spotlight sign-ups are open again, so unless anyone has any objections I'll sign this thread up.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
RG Nu is sexy af.

Oh hey I'm back!

I've been busy during my stay in the purgatory of the Soul Stone.

HGUC Unicorn Perfectibility:

HGUC Narrative C-Packs:

And my magnum opus...PG Unicorn Gundam:
Wow you've definitely been busier than me during the ban. Light up PG Unicorn is sexy as fuck. Definitely considering the leds for the one in my backlog. It's just that it is so expensive for just a power brick, some cables and a bunch of leds. The post was psycho-frame overload. XD

Meanwhile, the only thing I have available to post is just the HGUC MS-21C Dra-C (I'm posting a new build in a couple of days though).
Technically, it's a bit of a mix because the colours are Delaz Fleet ❤ but the beam Gatling only ever appears animated with the pink Sleeves variant but I like that weapon more than the regular machine-gun in place of the right arm.

D4G0TD5WsAAniu7.jpg

D4G0UHmWkAU5Jbs.jpg

D4G0VIyW0AA2j7R.jpg

D4G0WIIXkAAuIgK.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
So it's time for the next build. Not too far apart from to the last one thanks to being snapped.
HGBF GNW-100P Gundam Portent.

D5J-uPIW0AEDw9B.jpg

The kit being predominantly white, I wanted to try the four different backgrounds I have in my light-box.
White definitely lacks contrast and I probably should have used a slower shutter speed for it not to look as drab as it does.
Black is more dramatic than grey but for some reason I end up gravitating towards grey.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Cross post from the Gundam thread
Just have a chill day today so I'm finally starting my first master grade! While also finally working on finishing off ZZ(haven't had time to focus on a sub) just finished Puru vs Puru. Also got about 4 episodes of G Gundam left gonna be sad it's over but at least I'll have some awesome kits to order

Gotta say love how mg has the pilot and cockpit, it really gives the scale of things

HHHzoEp.jpg

BESj6nw.jpg

Currently taking a lunch break
Edit: just discovered the G Gundam's MG gimmick of instead of having scale standing pilots having action posed oversized display ones instead. The old Shadow Gundam was already on my list since it hasn't gotten a modern hg yet but the fact it has Hans Bruder and Raine makes it even more of a must get

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the whole Zoids HMM line is getting new stuff? That's good. Thought it was dead.
Yeah, happy to know that they continue the HMM line. They took a break last year, maybe trying to give some room for Tomy"s simpler Zoids Wild kits. Just took a look at the Twitter. They have also announced some old kits with new packaging / new version with decals. There is also another completely new kit:

Still waiting for HMM Death Saurer. I will pay big money for it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well finished my first Master Grade, definitely some fun and cool stuff even if I did start with a small one(I've got the 00 full saber mg next)Got Psycho Gundam and that left of my backlog. Oh and this took me 3 days and about 12-15 hours
rJkVzzj.jpg

40uNNnv.jpg

wpmjGzk.jpg

O2dI6PY.jpg

Only did the large four shoulder dry transfers for now, my hands were too shakey for the smaller ones.

Irony is now that I've done a master grade I can now recognize some suits I'd like to see in the master grade over the high grade. Transforming and multi part ones seem like obvious picks, so what's the best version of ZZ Gundam?

Also even though it's older the mg Shadow Gundam is on my list now, may even order it before I go on the hgfc lineup kick which is definitely my next group order having finished the show. Also nearing the end on ZZ so it's almost back to uc dubbed which is nice

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That would be the recently released (2108) Ver.Ka
There's an old (1999) ZZ Master Grade that will be both cheaper and more dated.
I make it a rule, I don't do pre 2001 kits. Almost picked up the ver.ka over the 00 Saber full burst but the store I was at was out. And also I meant all grades of Z Which is the best

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Edited my previous post but current best will obviously be Ver.Ka
ZZ does not currently have a PG or RG so it's no contest about Ver.Ka being the best available kit for the MS.
Yeah my point is after doing a MG I can recognize what mobile suits are worth the extra investment for a MG over hg. Especially multiform transforming suits like the ZZ. Smaller scale and detail don't do the trick

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Talking about MG ZZ 1.0, I'm mulling getting this for really cheap just to display it in G-Fortress mode. The idea being to eventually get the Ver.Ka to display in MS mode.
The question for anyone who has built the 1.0 is: yay or nay? As in: how solid is it in G-Fortress mode?

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to snapping some pics of my recent builds:

1556724529333-98512.png

1556724704099-51349.png

More on my insta.

Other than that, I'm practicing with the airbrush and seeking inspiration for my first custom paint job -- need to find a cheap kit to practice on and plan out a color scheme.

Nov 4, 2017
MnoXuq7.jpg

Master Gundam Pics
So for my Birthday I got a Master Gundam which I just finished. I painted the yellow on the wings and the access paint needs to be cleaned up. Any suggestions for that? It's my first time painting. Fuunsaiki was painted in areas and I panel lined it.

Do people panel line the dark blues and reds like those that are on the master gundam? If so what do they use, I have the standard paint pen set by creos and the grey panel lining marker that comes with it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
MnoXuq7.jpg

Master Gundam Pics
So for my Birthday I got a Master Gundam which I just finished. I painted the yellow on the wings and the access paint needs to be cleaned up. Any suggestions for that? It's my first time painting. Fuunsaiki was painted in areas and I panel lined it.

Do people panel line the dark blues and reds like those that are on the master gundam? If so what do they use, I have the standard paint pen set by creos and the grey panel lining marker that comes with it.
Looking good, he's on my to get list. Also random crazy fun fact: when riding the horse robot the pilot must also be riding the actual horse

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a general question for you guys, what tools should I look for to start with gunpla? I know I'll need snippers, a razor, some sandpaper, and maybe some tweezers. I'm not sure I wanna buy a cheap kit off Amazon considering they probably won't be decent quality, so I'll probably buy them piecemeal. Any recommendations on brands? This is what I'm looking at atm.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I painted the yellow on the wings and the access paint needs to be cleaned up. Any suggestions for that? It's my first time painting.
Using a wooden toothpick might be an option. Since you didn't use primer, it should be enough to get paint out of the plastic areas you use the toothpick on.

Grey is usually too weak on red. I recommend black for panel lines in anything that is darker than yellow (and even with some dark yellows I may even use black).
For dark blue, I will generally still panel line with black but the effect is really subtle and only visible at certain angles or light conditions. Up to you if it's worth the hassle for such a small difference.

Kind of a general question for you guys, what tools should I look for to start with gunpla? I know I'll need snippers, a razor, some sandpaper, and maybe some tweezers. I'm not sure I wanna buy a cheap kit off Amazon considering they probably won't be decent quality, so I'll probably buy them piecemeal. Any recommendations on brands? This is what I'm looking at atm.

I've been building plamo for eight years and I still use some non-descript eyebrow tweezers. Specific tweezers are probably recommendable for stuff like waterslide decals but normal ones should do the trick for just starting.
For the sanding sticks, although I don't use them, I hear it's easy and cheaper to make them yourself by buying sanding paper and gluing them to some sticks. Apparently they get worn rather fast depending on usage.
For the nippers, make sure they are for plastic. Nippers that can cut metal have edges that leave big nub marks. Nippers for plastic have flat edges that are effective at cutting close to the gate but are too fragile to cut metal.

Last edited:

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Using a wooden toothpick might be an option. Since you didn't use primer, it should be enough to get paint out of the plastic areas you use the toothpick on.

Grey is usually too weak on red. I recommend black for panel lines in anything that is darker than yellow (and even with some dark yellows I may even use black).
For dark blue, I will generally still panel line with black but the effect is really subtle and only visible at certain angles or light conditions. Up to you if it's worth the hassle for such a small difference.

I've been building plamo for eight years and I still use some non-descript eyebrow tweezers. Specific tweezers are probably recommendable for stuff like waterslide decals but normal ones should do the trick for just starting.
For the sanding sticks, although I don't use them, I hear it's easy and cheaper to make them yourself by buying sanding paper and gluing them to some sticks. Apparently they get worn rather fast depending on usage.
For the nippers, make sure they are for plastic. Nippers that can cut metal have edges that leave big nub marks. Nippers for plastic have flat edges that are effective at cutting close to the gate but are too fragile to cut metal.

Ah I see what you mean about the nippers. Some of them get expensive, huh?

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017

I started off with a cheap tool kit and the tweezers are the only part I still regularly use. I upgraded to an Olfa art knife and Valtcan nippers. Making your own sanding sticks is very simple and economical, although like xEik said, I do burn through a lot on any given kit. I'm sure I'm still ahead on cost compared to buying commercial sanding sticks/sponges.

A big pack of craft swabs (q-tips are ok but even a slightly nicer brand is worth it) and wooden toothpicks will come in really handy.

Last edited:

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
K0IY9Ag.jpg
Pretty happy with the RG Sazabi, matches the avatar nicely. The bright lighting for the picture makes the decals look pretty bad though.

Edit: Also kind of curious what everyone does with all of their little pilot figures. Stick them in a bag? Throw them away? Just leave them on the runner?

Last edited:

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Edit: Also kind of curious what everyone does with all of their little pilot figures. Stick them in a bag? Throw them away? Just leave them on the runner?
I ended up placing them near the feet of the kits, they look extremely tiny compared to them. I would like to try painting them, though I also like the uniform color they come in.
4AvlM87.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
No need to go all out and get some God Hands nippers. As long as they are for plastic you should be fine.
Pretty happy with the RG Sazabi, matches the avatar nicely. The bright lighting for the picture makes the decals look pretty bad though.

Marking stickers almost always look better in real life than in photos. The Sazabi looks good. Is it topcoated?
As for pilots I put them in one of the plastic bags that comes with the kit, with any other extra pieces like hands or weapons that are not on display and the bag is put inside the folded top of the box with the manual to try to make it take as little space as possible as shown here https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...d-everything-else.45906/page-33#post-13752931

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
Marking stickers almost always look better in real life than in photos. The Sazabi looks good. Is it topcoated?
As for pilots I put them in one of the plastic bags that comes with the kit, with any other extra pieces like hands or weapons that are not on display and the bag is put inside the folded top of the box with the manual to try to make it take as little space as possible as shown here https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...d-everything-else.45906/page-33#post-13752931
Just a matte top coat for the Sazabi, yes.

I like that storage solution, think I will do something similar thanks.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Is the RG Sinanju good? I noticed it at a local store and I feel like getting something. Maybe that and the Haro I saw there, which I'll use to do some more painting practice. I'd also like to try a topcoat for this hypothetical Sinanju, but I'd have to order that separately.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017

My pilot figures are all standing (or sitting) on my paint shelf waiting to be painted and displayed on/near their respective kit. Who knows when I'll actually get around to it, but it's a nice intention to hang onto. I've only painted one so far, the Zeon pilot that came with my RG Zaku. Pretty sure I've posted it in here before, but here's how it came out painted:

1556902077809-75647.png

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
Is the RG Sinanju good? I noticed it at a local store and I feel like getting something. Maybe that and the Haro I saw there, which I'll use to do some more painting practice. I'd also like to try a topcoat for this hypothetical Sinanju, but I'd have to order that separately.

Very pretty but also pron to fall apart. I don't know if it's because of the gloss coat that came with it but the stickers stayed on for about a week and then came off. Looks gorgeous though!

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Very pretty but also pron to fall apart. I don't know if it's because of the gloss coat that came with it but the stickers stayed on for about a week and then came off. Looks gorgeous though!
Sounds good enough (sorta). It did look very glossy in the pictures, which I don't like that much. The idea of trying a matte top coat sounds even more appealing now.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
8BkrEbw.jpg

My first Zaku. This is the HG Zaku II (Red Comet Ver). Still working on the weapons, and panel lining and stickers but I like this kit quite a bit. Took quite a while with the sanding and there are some parts where i just can't get rid of the discoloration even after removing the nub marks and sanding.🤷‍♂️

EquDe8S.jpg