• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Built something fun a couple of days ago.

D5zcaw1UUAEI3aB.jpg

D5z1gjNU0AATxbm.jpg

D5z1hX7UwAY0vK4.jpg

D52tC8pUUAAd83W.jpg

Nov 3, 2017
So I'm building the Moderoid Strelitzia (it's ok. Not as good as Bandai or Koto, but it's serviceable), and the parts are all already matte.

How well do decals stick on matte surfaces? Can I get away with just applying decals and then top coating? Or should I apply a gloss coat first to help the decals stick?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
NG 1/100 EB-05s McGillis's Schwalbe Graze
I haven't built any of the 1/100 kits from the second season of IBO so I don't know if they improved them but the most annoying thing in these is the lack of stiffness of the inner frame making posing them a bit of a chore since everything gets out of its intended position too easily.
The kits still looks moderately good for what ultimately is a custom enemy grunt.

D6SKhk2W0AEmhfD.jpg

D6SKiqaWkAAuRyz.jpg

D6SKj3rWwAI43Z5.jpg

D6SKk_QWAAE90wZ.jpg

And bonus pic of the inner frame which is about 98% the same as the regular Graze. Why can't you be a little more stiff?

D6Sy8sYWkAE9brI.jpg

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
It's interesting that the inner frame is pretty much the same (as far as I recall at least) as the HG version of the Graze. Also, I really like that shade of blue.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
That's the reason why people consider the 1/100 lines of kits that aren't Master Grades "big High Grades".
Conversely, Real Grades are often seen as "small Master Grades" because their level of detail is generally very similar.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm trying to decide whether to order the hgfc Master Gundam with horse(which I can do through prime) or the old Master Grade Shadow Gundam(which would be a from Japan order), May just wait on the latter till I have money to pair it with something. Any thoughts on those kits?
For record my backlog is MG 00 Saber full blast and HGUC Psycho Gundam. May do the latter first because I'm getting close to be able to watch the show the formers from and I enjoy the kit more when I have back ground

Oct 25, 2017
Lord help me im thinking about buying and modifying
disney-cars-combat-ship-diecast-cars_1_3ba73c77959516472be3e980560219f2.jpg

For use as setpiece/scenery with my 1/100 models, idk yet but it looks like it could pass for 1/100(though probably the old GI Joe proportion thing)

Last edited:

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Hm trying to decide whether to order the hgfc Master Gundam with horse(which I can do through prime) or the old Master Grade Shadow Gundam(which would be a from Japan order), May just wait on the latter till I have money to pair it with something. Any thoughts on those kits?
For record my backlog is MG 00 Saber full blast and HGUC Psycho Gundam. May do the latter first because I'm getting close to be able to watch the show the formers from and I enjoy the kit more when I have back ground
I have built both of those and they are both really nice kits. Old MGs like that feel a bit weird since you have to deal with screws, but it's still nice.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Picked up my first Gunpla of this Japan trip. Wasn't planning on picking any up here in Kyoto, but came across a MG Hyaku-Shiki that I had on my list :)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I have built both of those and they are both really nice kits. Old MGs like that feel a bit weird since you have to deal with screws, but it's still nice.
Decided on Master Gundam for now. I want Shadow Gundam, but I wanted to buy time on the 00 saber and I'll have time for kit building over the next two weeks

Now whether to do Master or Psycho next

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm now to decide
yvemlkj_d.jpg

Definitely leaning Psycho, either way buying time for my mg 00 since I need to watch the story so I can enjoy the build more

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always forget Psycho got a HG. Need to get that one of these days.

Quick poll, I'm getting an MG from Barnes and Noble tomorrow (taking advantage of the 20% off for members) and I can't decide between these three:

Sinanju Stein Narrative Ver.
00 Qan[T] Full Saber
F91 Ver. 2.0

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Quick poll, I'm getting an MG from Barnes and Noble tomorrow (taking advantage of the 20% off for members) and I can't decide between these three:

00 Qan[T] Full Saber
F91 Ver. 2.0
I have the latter two but have only done the latter which built a week back. It's a solid build and you'll appreciate the detail but it's small, like only slightly bigger than hg rx78-02 small.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017

00 Qan[T] Full Saber
F91 Ver. 2.0
All have a similar caveat: you might already own a previous MG iteration so it could be difficult to justify buying the same MS again. Coincidentally, I do own the 3 early MG variants of those but none of the revisions.
Stein: You probably lose Ver.Ka markings (not entirely sure) but you win new weapons. Whether you like sleeves for it or not, is a personal thing.
Qan[T]: not anime canon I guess, I generally prefer animated suits if I have the alternative.
F91: At least, this is a general improvement on the old kit. In theory, the only thing you'd be missing is a Rafflesia display base.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only one I've built an earlier version of is the Qan[T].

I'm kinda leaning towards the F91, but I'll see tomorrow when I get there.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I think I start to get the appeal of FAG. The potential for remodeling is huge. Only if I have the skills and time for such work ;_;

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I can appreciate the engineering that goes into making Frame Arm Girls look as good as they do but I doubt I'd ever buy one because I'd be reluctant to have it displayed.
Even a Super Fumina, which is a step below in the perviness scale and I bought just because of very specific circumstances, is in limbo regarding its display status when I finally build it.
I do have a regular Frame Arms Gourai in the backlog, though.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I can appreciate the engineering that goes into making Frame Arm Girls look as good as they do but I doubt I'd ever buy one because I'd be reluctant to have it displayed.
Even a Super Fumina, which is a step below in the perviness scale and I bought just because of very specific circumstances, is in limbo regarding its display status when I finally build it.
I do have a regular Frame Arms Gourai in the backlog, though.
I can totally understand that. Still haven't got one because of the exact reason (probably due to the exposed panties) even though I enjoy the anime and not ashamed of looking at anime girls.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I also have three (unbuilt) variants of Virtual-On's Fei Yen that feature specific parts for panties but the whole appearance of the kit is robotic enough that it will probably get a pass, even with the maid motif.
The Gourai itself surprised me a little bit the other day while I was looking for pictures for the Frame Arms in that the exposed shimapan of the Frame Arms Girl is quite "in your face".

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I failed. Instead of any kits I got a bunch of manga and light novels.

I considered going with the 1/144 Millennium Falcon for a change of pace. But I think I'm just still "tired" after the PG Unicorn. I was looking at the kits and just not feeling an urge to build anything.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So I failed. Instead of any kits I got a bunch of manga and light novels.

I considered going with the 1/144 Millennium Falcon for a change of pace. But I think I'm just still "tired" after the PG Unicorn. I was looking at the kits and just not feeling an urge to build anything.
Obviously it's time to look at some of the change of pace kits from G Gundam

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I lied. Stopped at Hobby Lobby and ended up with the 1/144 X-Wing and Y-Wing set for cheap.

I did a quick and dirty build, and applied the stickers. They look nice for the price. But, how does one panel line these? With how much freaking detail they have I'd assume a panel wash? I can grab another set sometime and give that a try, if that's the best method.

2-BB09835-A00-F-4758-B0-C8-47-D5-D5-AC18-A2.png

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I have a couple of questions about painting.

This one is most likely pretty silly; can you mix acrylics like you would with poster paint (I think that's the right term)? That would make my buying of different colours a lot easier.

Secondly, with regards to small details or small miniatures/figures (like the pilots that come with the RGs), am I right in thinking that I would want to thin my paint less? Since I don't believe I'd be doing more than one coat either way. Also, if you have any suggestion on the subject, I'd appreciate it, as I'll probably try something out sooner rather than later.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Generally, yes, you can mix acrylic paints without problems. Gunpla manuals even have mix ratios using one of the Japanese brands the name of which I cannot remember (maybe Mr Color).

About thinning for small details, I don't really know. One thing I know is that for very small details I've seen people use a toothpick instead of a brush because it gave them greater control for stuff like small circles or lines.

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So first day in Osaka, going to Gundam Square tomorrow but took a peek into Mandarake and Edion and well....

Q5ZzsKL.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
How are you planning to get all this stuff back? Are you posting it to yourself back home?
Plamo doesn't weight much but the volume gets out of control fast when you start to accumulate a few kits.

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
How are you planning to get all this stuff back? Are you posting it to yourself back home?
Plamo doesn't weight much but the volume gets out of control fast when you start to accumulate a few kits.

I've already paid for a second suitcase for both me and my wife so we'll have 4 suitcases with 23kg limit. I've cut open the boxes and flattened around the runners so I estimate to be able to take 15-20 kits with me home

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Dang your really going all out. Have you been to the actual gunpla store "The Gundam Base" in Tokyo or just picking stuff up along the way?

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New build: High Grade GNR-101A GN Archer
This thread has been kind of slow if there's two builds of mine in the same page.
Anyways, this build was rather simple. A big chunk of the time spent on it was for painting the black areas in the red parts of the enormous backpack (although technically it's not a backpack because it's attached on the waist).
From a story point of view, this MS seems a bit of a downgrade for Soma Peries as it seems a bit like the GM equivalent in 00 to Celestial Being's Gundams. It doesn't help that Celestial Being isn't the kind of organization that would field grunt type mass-produced Mobile Suits.
As it keeps happening lately, I didn't bother transforming it. I may do it whenever I build an HG Arios for some fun gattai action.

D7bB5iZW0AAYXKg.jpg

D7bB6trXkAAderx.jpg

D7bCCZgXsAAC6vI.jpg

D7bCJxvWsAI9xHw.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh yeah forgot to crosspost this guy
And it is done!
1eGMLVQ.jpg

qi8gX6h.jpg

I'll take more pics tomorrow with other kits more posing and his other form. Had a great time building it although i will be storing it in armor mode!

Will probably build the Master Gundam and Fuunsaki next week. House sitting while family is out of time so it's the rare time I can use the dining room table for multiple days without causing stress.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
speaking of kotobukiya, my local hobbytown now carries Frame Arms and Hexagear! I bit on the FA Stylet last week, opened it up. man, these kits need painting way more than any Gundam kit does.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
speaking of kotobukiya, my local hobbytown now carries Frame Arms and Hexagear! I bit on the FA Stylet last week, opened it up. man, these kits need painting way more than any Gundam kit does.

It's actually a feature to make it easier to paint. After all the line is all about customization.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
New build: High Grade GNR-101A GN Archer
This thread has been kind of slow if there's two builds of mine in the same page.
Anyways, this build was rather simple. A big chunk of the time spent on it was for painting the black areas in the red parts of the enormous backpack (although technically it's not a backpack because it's attached on the waist).
From a story point of view, this MS seems a bit of a downgrade for Soma Peries as it seems a bit like the GM equivalent in 00 to Celestial Being's Gundams. It doesn't help that Celestial Being isn't the kind of organization that would field grunt type mass-produced Mobile Suits.
As it keeps happening lately, I didn't bother transforming it. I may do it whenever I build an HG Arios for some fun gattai action.

D7bB5iZW0AAYXKg.jpg

D7bB6trXkAAderx.jpg

D7bCCZgXsAAC6vI.jpg

D7bCJxvWsAI9xHw.jpg

I love GM-style suits, and this is really appealing to me.

I should watch 00
Edit: might as well post what I've been working on:

Last edited:
OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went to Kotobukiya Hobby Show After in Akihabara this morning. Took some pics (AND I WANT ALL OF THEM):

Two new Hexa Gears mech (the second one is a revision from a past kit with additional parts). As someone who love solid mecha rather than slim one, they are extremely tempting.

I'm really liking how that first Hexa Gear kit looks. I haven't really been paying much attention to the line but I really like the bulky look it has going for it.

The Border Break kit also looks quite nice.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Bandai's coloring are way above its competitors. It is what makes Gundam popular among all people across skill level and ages.
I'm really liking how that first Hexa Gear kit looks. I haven't really been paying much attention to the line but I really like the bulky look it has going for it.

The Border Break kit also looks quite nice.
Yes, I really its bulky look. Like most of the other Hexa Gear kit, it can transform into vehicle and has a cockpit for governor.
0bd3c0a9317fb7955ed43061ac64e4f172d0d81e-750x500.jpg

They has a blog page for this mech. Many pics inside.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I love GM-style suits, and this is really appealing to me.
I should watch 00
I love them as well, that's the reason I try to intersperse GM-style kits among all the builds of Gundams, Zakus and the like.

Edit: might as well post what I've been working on:

I would also be nervous if I were to try something new on a P-Bandai kit. XD
After all, getting a regular old HG GM to test some techniques is super cheap and the build is really fast.

This reminded that the other day looking at pictures of GMs on Twitter I found out there is such a thing as loving GMs too much.

Last edited: