• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
my shame is too great to actually buy and put together a frame arms girl kit, but i did like the anime

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I have believed for a long time that Japan's depravity is more or less the same as the rest of the world. It just happens that they are the only ones that are smart enough to monetise it through the sale of merchandise and assorted goods.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Read it as a joke. Not taking it seriously. :P I'd even say there has lately been an increase in the amount of anime taking a self-deprecating stance on pervy consumption like Amazing Stranger.

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
Been a while since I've posted any gunpla, here are some recent builds-

RG Strike Freedom, I wish I would have given the inner frame the gold treatment like I did the under armor, but I was afraid of gunking/locking up those small RG inner workings. Shame, because you can see the yellowish plastic more than I thought. I painted the blue and red metallic versions of the same shade, but it's hard to tell.

HG R-Jarja, it was fun, some of the armor was repainted and the horrible yellow was made gold. Shoulders are a bitch to pose.

png upload

HG Reginlaze Julia, I dig this suit but didn't like the color, made it blue and gold. Gold gold gold, I know haha.

upload

HG Kamiki Burning Gundam, hard to tell, but every color was repainted with a metallic, and the white was done in a pearlescent. Kinda disappointed with the white, but maybe next time. I'm really proud of the katana, which is chrome.

MG RX-78 3.0, hoooooo baby, this is one of my favorites. So glad I picked this up, wish I would have gotten it sooner. Perfect everything, from the way it looks to how it poses...the hands I love, though a little bigger, I've wanted 5 digit flexibility for a while now. Time to stock up haha.

And my current build, it's charming and fun! Fuck that twenty dollar led though, hahaha.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
AustinPowersILoveGold.jpg
Are you using a can or an airbrush? In my experience metallic colors are a bit of a pain in the ass with an airbrush because the needle clogs much faster than with regular paint.
The results of metallic paints are like nothing else, though.
If the LED is the regular one, I thought 2 of them were about $8 without shipping? Not that I consider that cheap either when the BOM cannot be higher than $1.

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
I use cans, in my mind I don't paint enough to have a full set up, but here lately...metallic paints really are gorgeous. It's not that usual button led you can slide in the torso, this one is long and weird shaped, but definitely not worth $20. There's so much space inside, this will be a good first attempt to put in my own leds. We'll see!

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations, everyone! You're our next community spotlight!

Is there a plastic model of a Digimon yet?
Well, there's Omnimon.

omegamon-model-kit-00.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since the spotlight thing just came up I should probably post what I've been working on recently.

First, I've made some nice progress on the M3 Grant CDL kit I mentioned a while ago. I haven't had much time to work on it, but the base coat and decals are done now:
6XThwd6h.jpg

And while the pictures don't really do a good job of showing it I think I actually managed to get some nice color variation using black basing for once. I wish I had a proper light-booth setup so that I could show it properly but for now, the best I can do is this:
wxD3Ccwh.jpg

It does show up nicely in real life though. Apart from some trouble with the decals, I feel like this build is going nicely so far. There's a small WIP album here: https://imgur.com/a/W7Dytd3, mostly showing the whole black-basing thing (no pictures of the build process itself though).

I also put together the HG Full Armor Gundam. I've always been a fan of just how over-the-top the design is (four shields!), so I just had to pick it up:
EjuHDjBh.jpg

It's a fun build, though it does rely a lot on stickers for color. It also has a lot of small things I'd like to try and fix before I go and paint it (mostly a lot of seam lines and the fact that the two weapons on top don't rotate) so it's probably going to be a while before I get to fully finish it. It looks cool as is though, so I'm not really in a hurry.

Yay on being on the community spotlight!
And yes, it seems there have been plastic models of Digimon since 2010 https://hlj.com/digimon-reboot-omegamon-ban965519
To anyone stumbling on this OT, building plastic models is easier and more fun than you may think (specially if you are into anime robots).
Seconding this. The OP probably makes it seem more intimidating than it really is - I tried to cram in as much as possible, which probably doesn't make for the best introduction. All it really takes to get going is some basic tools (plastic nippers, and maybe a hobby knife/an emery board for sanding but even those aren't 100% necessary) and there's a wide selection of kits out there that don't require gluing or painting. Even those that do have, for me, proven to be much more approachable than I thought they'd be. There's also a lot of really nice guides online. r/gunpla (anime robots) and r/modelmakers (tanks, planes, cars, and a bunch of other stuff) on reddit both have great beginner guides and large communities that are really welcoming to new people coming into the hobby.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Greetings and salutations new comers, I only started about a year ago and look at some of the cool stuff I've already done
YGteyYQ.jpg

hlq2ffL.jpg

Zp6bSj6.jpg

WDTQv5S.jpg

5CDOArn.jpg

QM9TIh4.jpg

Of course I'm not the best yet and I still need to work on panel lining while we have some amazing painters in here too. Also kits span all sorts of themes and styles, there's an awesome one piece Ship line, Star Wars space ships, power rangers megazorsa and even some of your favorite Dragonball characters. There's a big world of kit building out there, although Bandai tends to have some of the most beginner friendly, I can't reccomend the one piece ship line highly enough
Well, I had a blast building today(even if half the build was stickers, no mishaps this time got all of them on!) Here's the Going Merry from One Piece(Grand Ship Line series). Boy, I cannot stress enough the amount of detail this line has, if I was a painter these would give me a ton to do(and do come with paint color guides) but I'm not, so stickers go over some of those nice details(basically any details you see on the stickers are on the kit themselves, doors with handles, portholes, rivets, etc)
KRFZAt4.jpg

MNjGsTS.jpg

SnwJXW5.jpg

xPlpjup.jpg

And for point of reference here's Teach's ship from last time
nTYaYrE.jpg

5yRkgXq.jpg

Lots of fun, but several stickers took a few tries, used a mix of my big tweezers, and my finger to nudge it. I think I'll order Law's yellow submarine(with Ironclad influence next), but I need to whittle down my backlog a little first, especially since no build time next weekend, but the Zeong's next! Although I also saw there's a General Franky kit(one piece) and now that I'm far enough in the series that I've seen that in action i want it!(well and the Chopper with mech series looks cool too)
Edit: took a look into it, I want that General Franky down the road, difficulty looks somewhere between hg and rg (its 8 inches tall), has plenty stickers, and oh can fully transform into the 2 vehicles that compose it, has tons of accessories on top of looking awesome. Now the Chopper series I may jump on far sooner though, all the vehicles are based off various One Piece stuff, but the awesome part is they all combine into a mech based off Choppers monster form which is really cool(total cost of all 5 equal the cost of Franky's kit, but adding a 10 kit into a bigger order is happening sooner for me than dropping 50 straight up on a kit)

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'll post my Japan haul this weekend when I'm home again. Actually wont be the full haul since I've had one boxed shipped and it wont be arriving until next week

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Cross post from Gundam OT
All done with Master Gundam so took some fun pics with him and Fuunsaiki
uZdB7gP.jpg

uOn9JQW.jpg

gcBRhTX.jpg

And for fun some RX-78-02 on Fuunsaiki!

7xME6mb.jpg

twrojLM.jpg

And since I had everyone out
zlXCCjj.jpg

Fun build and I only have the master grade 00 fullburst [Q]ant left in my backlog... but I will be wanting the four other hgfc kits sooner rather than later

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i'm still struggling a huge amount with scuff marks after sanding gunplay, even using various grades up to 2000. what am i doing wrong? i know matte mr. hobby spray is meant to help hide it, but i had a terrible experience with one model so haven't used it since.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Honestly, I'm not a fan of sandpaper if I'm not going to paint a model (which in my case is almost all of them).
For unpainted kits, I prefer carefully cleaning nubs with an exacto-knife after removing the biggest part of them with the nipper instead of using sandpaper.
If you are painting, though, sanding will give you a smoother surface and the scuff marks should be hidden by the paint.

Last edited:

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I also try to avoid sandpaper most of the time. Using a nipper, exacto-knife, and then scratching my nail on the remains is usually enough to bring the bigger nubs down.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Oh wow, what a coincidence this is featured because I recently got into Gunpla through a friend. All I've built are the Haro balls and a Momokapool. Right now I'm slowly making my way through build doll Sarah. I haven't seen any of the shows; I've just picked whatever looks fun or cool (and easy enough for me to do).

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I've just picked whatever looks fun or cool
Well, that's always the spirit, even after dozens of builds: build something you like the looks of.
Watching the shows or playing the games the models are based on just reinforces one's predisposition to build the kit but just having fun and ending with a cool model to display is definitely the hook.
Oh and don't be afraid to step up to more complex models. Specially with gunpla, those require more patience but aren't much more difficult.

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Well, here's my gundam haul from my Japan trip. There are another 4 or 5 kits that I sent in a box that is stuck in customs atm.

t22YP69.jpg

tI5GhdW.jpg

07Cohrq.jpg

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, here's my gundam haul from my Japan trip. There are another 4 or 5 kits that I sent in a box that is stuck in customs atm.
That's a really nice haul. Reminds me that I might be taking a trip to Hong Kong later this year and I'll also likely end up buying a lot of stuff there.

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
That shirt and sweater (or is it hoodie?) look fantastic. Poor Tri-Stars.

I'm glad I fell in love with them before I saw the prices lol!
The Sinanju one wasn't bad, 6000 Yen. But the hoodie... 12000 yen -_-

Nice haul I'm jealous. I'm down to one kit in my backlog too :(

Thanks! Yeah, I'm set for the rest of the year at least.

That's a really nice haul. Reminds me that I might be taking a trip to Hong Kong later this year and I'll also likely end up buying a lot of stuff there.

I approve of hauls. And being HK you're probably going to get away much cheaper than I did :p

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hmm got a crazy idea for doing a custom kitbashed original Gundam variant design(well and a Gundam that never got a kit I'd love to kitbash/build but that's more difficult) any tips? Will definitely be doing some painting and parts modifying, haven't decided on a base kit yet though(have some ideas of course... including some that will require some specific parts)

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
Hmm got a crazy idea for doing a custom kitbashed original Gundam variant design(well and a Gundam that never got a kit I'd love to kitbash/build but that's more difficult) any tips? Will definitely be doing some painting and parts modifying, haven't decided on a base kit yet though(have some ideas of course... including some that will require some specific parts)
Depending on what you are planning, you might want to stock up on some more tools and materials, Scratch building can be relatively easy or difficult depending on what you have to work with.

1) Pla plate (Styrene sheets). The bread and butter of any scratch build / kitbash. It comes in various thicknesses and textures and can be used to make pretty much anything. Can be found for pretty cheap or even free from things laying around the house. (bread clips, for sale signs, the white plastic in apple packaging, etc)

2) Putty (Epoxy and tube putty) putty is pretty much essential, since you will need to to fill in gaps and seams. Also useful for filling in parts and sculpting more organic shapes.

3) Drill bits and Pin Vices. The most important size to get is a 3mm drill bit. 3mm is the universal peg size for most kits nowdays and having once can prove to be very useful in making modifications.

If I had a idea of what you were planning I can list more specific tips. Here is an old gallery of something I have been working on for the last few months.
https://imgur.com/a/NSG4R

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Depending on what you are planning, you might want to stock up on some more tools and materials, Scratch building can be relatively easy or difficult depending on what you have to work with.

1) Pla plate (Styrene sheets). The bread and butter of any scratch build / kitbash. It comes in various thicknesses and textures and can be used to make pretty much anything. Can be found for pretty cheap or even free from things laying around the house. (bread clips, for sale signs, the white plastic in apple packaging, etc)

2) Putty (Epoxy and tube putty) putty is pretty much essential, since you will need to to fill in gaps and seams. Also useful for filling in parts and sculpting more organic shapes.

3) Drill bits and Pin Vices. The most important size to get is a 3mm drill bit. 3mm is the universal peg size for most kits nowdays and having once can prove to be very useful in making modifications.

If I had a idea of what you were planning I can list more specific tips. Here is an old gallery of something I have been working on for the last few months.
https://imgur.com/a/NSG4R
Well I need to sketch out my original idea, but for my kitbash build of an existing design without a kit I was thinking of trying to make Zeus Gundam from G Gundam(minus horse and chariot of course). I mean this ridiculous and over the top fellow
latest

Last edited:

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I finally finished Metal Gear Rex.
As always, there's minimal paint to add texture, except for the minifigures, which are so tiny you almost don't notice how badly painted they are.
ulNAAhli_o.png
UbBMviiZ_o.png
tcYGJPhm_o.png

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Obligatory

Even if the painting it's minimal, with these Kotobukiya kits the difference is noticeable. The AGNI I built last year has this "same color" look that clearly shows the plasticy appearance because it is unpainted.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory

Even if the painting it's minimal, with these Kotobukiya kits the difference is noticeable. The AGNI I built last year has this "same color" look that clearly shows the plasticy appearance because it is unpainted.

Yeah, I'm mostly just trying to avoid that shiny lego brick plastic look. It works for some figures, I probably won't paint Buzz Lightyear at all, but for a Rex it doesn't seem appropriate.

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
First kit from the haul has been built.

Despite being an older kit I like it, the waist/ leg attachment is kinda garbage though.

ywOj5RY.jpg

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The Double X isn't actually old (2015). It's just that from an engineering point of view it wasn't top of the line when it released. In contrast, the RX-78-2 3.0 is older (2013) but the tech it employs is more modern.
Unless you are talking about the Mobile Suit itself but then even the granddaddy is a granddaddy.

Didn't think it was that new tbh. The tech is way older as you said, waist and hands feels like a early 2000's kit at best.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
Man, every once in a while I remember about Gunplas and feel the need to build one.
Then I'm faced with the reality of living in my country: you barely have options to choose from and the ones you have are so horrendously expensive that it becomes unfeasible to buy one just to mess around and get the hang of it.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Gunpla is not officially sold in my country and local importers are stupidly expensive. I live on a regimen of "Only buy gunpla from Japanese websites when they are deeply discounted to offset the shipping (and sometimes tax) costs."

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently in Hong Kong on vacation and have the opportunity to buy some gunpla for the first time in basically forever. It's been years since I've built any gunpla, so I'd have to buy new supplies and kinda work myself up to more complex kits. For reference, I've built an MG Unicorn Ver. Ka, MG Destiny, and MG Strike Noir. Now, the local store here has a pretty great selection, to the point where I'm spoiled for and paralyzed by choice. Could you guys give me some opinions on what I'm looking at for each grade below?

High grade: Moon Gundam (love the look, it's new and is regarded as surprisingly detailed for an HG)

Master Grade: debating between Hyaku Shiki 2.0 and the Nu Gundam Ver. Ka (which is on sale for ~55USD, which seems good?). I don't plan on painting anything though, so iono how good the Hyaku Shiki would look.

RG: this is where I'm struggling the most. I feel like a lot of the kits in this line are classic red/white/blue. The HG Moon mentioned above already fits at that slot for me though. I'm considering the Astray Red Frame and Tallgeese, but the Tallgeese is on display and it looks so...insubstantial, I guess? I haven't built a 1/144 kit in a long time, so maybe that's just how it looks. I'd love to build the Sinanju and Sazabi eventually, but only after I get more experience.

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I'm currently in Hong Kong on vacation and have the opportunity to buy some gunpla for the first time in basically forever. It's been years since I've built any gunpla, so I'd have to buy new supplies and kinda work myself up to more complex kits. For reference, I've built an MG Unicorn Ver. Ka, MG Destiny, and MG Strike Noir. Now, the local store here has a pretty great selection, to the point where I'm spoiled for and paralyzed by choice. Could you guys give me some opinions on what I'm looking at for each grade below?

High grade: Moon Gundam (love the look, it's new and is regarded as surprisingly detailed for an HG)

Master Grade: debating between Hyaku Shiki 2.0 and the Nu Gundam Ver. Ka (which is on sale for ~55USD, which seems good?). I don't plan on painting anything though, so iono how good the Hyaku Shiki would look.

RG: this is where I'm struggling the most. I feel like a lot of the kits in this line are classic red/white/blue. The HG Moon mentioned above already fits at that slot for me though. I'm considering the Astray Red Frame and Tallgeese, but the Tallgeese is on display and it looks so...insubstantial, I guess? I haven't built a 1/144 kit in a long time, so maybe that's just how it looks. I'd love to build the Sinanju and Sazabi eventually, but only after I get more experience.
My opinions, YMMV.
HG: The Moon Gundam kit is well regarded. I'd say go for it.
MG: Get the Nu unless you love gold. The Hyaku Shiki needs no paint for the gold parts. Those come pre-painted in a kind of matte gold (the 1.0 was shiny gold).
RG: The RG Tallgeese is bland because Tallgeese is a bland MS. Get the Astray Red Frame. It's more colorful than Tallgeese without using the typical Gundam color scheme and it has very good posability.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
If any of you is a Virtual-On fan and you don't mind buying pre-owned there's currently a couple of kits at AmiAmi with a very big discount (about 60% off).
One is a Myzr Delta and the other is a Kagekiyo Fire Type. If I didn't own those already, for that price I would have bought them.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I'm at a store and am about to purchase my first Gundam model in probably 15 or so years. I built some of the HG Wing and G models as a teen, and one MG Char's Zaku. Haven't built a model since though. I've been wanting to build one for a while though, after I saw a SlickDeals post a few months ago saying that Gamestops were clearancing out some of their kits and that the MG EW Epyon was one of them. The closest store to me sold theirs though and when I decided to buy one online I saw that most places were sold out.

A board game store in town has some kits though and I was looking through them a few days ago to see if there was anything that looked good that might also be fun to put together while I'm at work (I work nights, 8-hr shifts, that see me pretty much sitting around doing nothing the whole time). I've settled on a RG 00 Qan[T]. I feel like it's cheap enough to be a first kit (they've got it priced at $27.99) and I recently watched all of 00 at work with a coworker so I am familiar with the suit. They've got some other kits but most are of suits I don't like or they are too complex for me to start off with.

So I'm gonna pick up this kit and then order a tool kit from Amazon with nippers, hobby knife, jeweler's files, tweezers, a cutting mat, and other useful stuff. And I'll do some research tonight about what pens or makers to buy. I was watching a video of a guy talking about panel lining and one of the ones he used looked like it produced good results but he implied that you have to use a clear coat after or it will smudge while handling it, so I want to avoid that because I can't be spraying clear coat on stuff in my office at work. I also need to research the best ways to remove flash and sprue marks. When I was a teen I just used the hobby knife to trim them off but I'd usually cut too far in and get weird lines on the plastic as a result, or the plastic would get kind of white if I nipped too close. Sanding is one of the things I hate most in the world but maybe I'll give a really fine grit paper a chance.