• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this painted at all or straight out of the box? I really like the look of this one versus the TV Bandai one. I might just get the Series Kotobukiya and the Bandai Movie kits. Guess I need to decide if I want to just get 01 or one of each EVA.
It's out of box with literally nothing done on it (it's one of those "I'll snapfit it now then paint in the future" kits that will forever be in the in-progress pile). It doesn't even have eye stickers. Though it has really good color separation and the only color correcting stickers are the green stripe on the horn and green stripes on the arm flaps. And then another sticker for the NERV logo on the shoulders.

Nov 6, 2017
It's out of box with literally nothing done on it (it's one of those "I'll snapfit it now then paint in the future" kits that will forever be in the in-progress pile). It doesn't even have eye stickers. Though it has really good color separation and the only color correcting stickers are the green stripe on the horn and green stripes on the arm flaps. And then another sticker for the NERV logo on the shoulders.

That looks pretty good. I'll probably pick this up soon. I need to build some EVAs.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished HG Mazinger Z (Infinity ver). Pretty fun build, only took about 3 hours! Looks fantastic as well. Only have a few complaints - the silver plastic they used doesnt't always cut well and when it doesnt you have a nice exposed dark mark left behind and the pilder was kind of annoying due to its size. All in all though a great kit.

Im not going to paint this sucker, but I do need to panel wash it and then coat it but i'll do that next weekend.

D-5cRrEXoAEvGUf.jpg

D-5dY1lWsAAZyk0.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
To the people with all those nub leftovers neatly grouped on the cutting mat: what I use is an empty yogurt glass to throw mine as they cut them.
It's sturdy enough that I don't have to worry what happens to it, specially the rim. Being transparent is a plus for when I accidentally drop something into it.
I'm not even sure if they sell yogurt on individual glass containers in the US.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
its less work to just sweep them into a corner. picking up every little nub with my fingers after i cut sounds like a lot of work!

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
its less work to just sweep them into a corner. picking up every little nub with my fingers after i cut sounds like a lot of work!
I cut over the glass. The idea is that the nubs almost always fall inside. I dislike rogue nubs on my mat because they have a tendency to end on stickers adhesive side when you less expect them.
In my case, a clean mat surface also gives me peace of mind, something not even MasterCard can buy.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I cut over the glass. The idea is that the nubs almost always fall inside. I dislike rogue nubs on my mat because they have a tendency to end on stickers adhesive side when you less expect them.
In my case, a clean mat surface also gives me peace of mind, something not even MasterCard can buy.

that makes sense. Me myself, i never do decals in the same sitting as assembly because I'm slow and lazy!

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
that makes sense. Me myself, i never do decals in the same sitting as assembly because I'm slow and lazy!
Some stickers, Gundam eyes being the prime example, are applied as you build, though. I'm not going to disassemble a Gundam head just because I couldn't be bothered to apply its eyes as I built the face.
Same thing for most reflective stickers that go behind clear parts like weapon sensors or 00 GN condensers.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I haven't shared anything in here for months, but I've been busy and posting updates on Twitter! I finished my RG Sazabi (took like 2 months because I was busy with other stuff too) and finished a quick SD Mazinger Z on Sunday. Fun!

D9vnb4AU8BE67Hz.jpg:orig

D9v_vFSU8AA_zId.jpg:orig

D-3cPcmUIAAeRky.jpg:orig

D-4NTniUEAE6Z_B.jpg:orig

I took a bunch of pics throughout the building process for both too: https://twitter.com/RollingPirahna/media

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I really need to come back finishing my RG Sazabi, I'm done with the main Sazabi but stopped when making all the weapon and accesories. are you going to top coat it? matte or gloss?

meanwhile, I'm doing small gunpla now and then like Phenex SDCS and SDSS kit
RC0py9E.jpg

3NP52Bw.jpg

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
good luck, but this seems like a database error of some sort since its 3 tiny sellers unrelated to model kits, and the exact same price of 11.13

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Those Rexes are up to 50 bucks now. Good luck to anyone that ordered, i hope you get them lol
LOL we shall see. I didn't even consider getting 1 in the first place so it can only be good surprise, no disappointment.

The fact that it's a 3rd party seller and free shipping to Singapore is also a red flag😂

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone have experiences with PG grades?

Got a long vacation coming and thinking this might be a nice project. But also... its expensive and got a few other kits to make haha.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017

Got a long vacation coming and thinking this might be a nice project. But also... its expensive and got a few other kits to make haha.
I built PG Exia. It's a really cool build but honestly I kinda wish I'd just gone with more MGs or something instead. PGs are not really for me, don't think I'll buy another.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've only finished the PG RX-178 MkII, and maybe the torso and feet of PG RX-0.

It's really fun if you have a lot of time because the build process is really involved. I haven't built it yet (though I have it in the backlog) but based on all the reviews and speed builds I've seen, you won't go wrong with the PG Strike. It's not as expensive (12000 yen) and it's probably one of the best Gunpla kits.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've been through 6 (Strike, Skygrasper, 00 Raiser, Strike Freedom, Wing Zero Custom, Unicorn). They are definitely time consuming but the end result is worth it.

I second Aries, if you're looking for a good starter PG the Strike is an excellent choice. I would also spring for the PG Skygrasper if you can, you'll get the Aile Striker and a display base for the Strike included.

I have some old pictures of my Strike from like 2007-2008. Here's the best one, for your consideration.

Q5ckyo3.jpg

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Strike always looks good. I thought there were a few more PG's than this but I might still bite on one. I tend to like more random kits though so none of them are screaming out to me in particular.

Thanks for the opinions on them though guys.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
With PG kits being rather expensive and the amount of different models relatively small, it is no surprise that the lineup is quite safe. As in: no one expects anything but the most mainstream MS to appear in the grade.
RG was a bit like that at first but thanks to the greater amount of releases, more unusual models have eventually appeared.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
PG also comes out so infrequently, much of the range is super old and kinda bad. I would avoid any PG that was before 2010 myself.

ESPECIALLY ZETA

DO NOT ZETA

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I picked up the PG Strike Freedom in Japan. Not planning to build it yet, but opening the box and looking at the amount of runners made me break out in sweat :p

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Unicorn addiction continues. Had a $40 coupon for ebay from something I sold, and it was gonna expire before the release of the MG Perfectibility so I used it on this HG and got it for only $11:

img_01.jpg

I've been wanting god mode Unicorn for a while now. It'll be a couple weeks before it arrives, I'll post some pics when I've finished it.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm I think I may finally put in an order for Shadow Gundam mg... but if I have to order it from Japan I'll likely pair it something but I'm not sure what yet

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Anyone know if the MG Gouf (One Year War 0079 ver) kit is any good? The only reviews I can find are for the Gouf 2.0
IIRC, the one year war Gouf is exactly the 1.0 Gouf but recolored to match the look of a videogame so I'd assume it's relatively bad.
It's not comparable to the RX-78-2 situation where the one year war MG is quite different from the 1.0 (or even the 1.5 which I think is mostly the 1.0 with a few new parts).

Iamcenok

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I have a problem.
I bought more kits.

I bought the RE/100 Vigna Ghina II, the MG buster gundam, the SD Silhouette Sisquiede, and the MG RX-78-2 Gundam the origin kit.

....whilst eyeing the MG RX-178 Gundam MK-II Ver 2.0 Titans, HG Gundam TR-6, MG Gundam Dynames.

Oh and I pre-ordered a P-bandai RG Tallgeese III kit.
#superbroke

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Guys, I have a problem.
I bought more kits.

I bought the RE/100 Vigna Ghina II, the MG buster gundam, the SD Silhouette Sisquiede, and the MG RX-78-2 Gundam the origin kit.

....whilst eyeing the MG RX-178 Gundam MK-II Ver 2.0 Titans, HG Gundam TR-6, MG Gundam Dynames.

Oh and I pre-ordered a P-bandai RG Tallgeese III kit.
#superbroke

Congrats. Now what is the problem? What to build first? 😂

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Built my first Gunpla in years - the Gundam The Origin version of HG Zaku II, Char/Red Comet. This is just a straight build, and I plan on top coating it later. I've never actually top coated any Gunpla before, so I don't know how it'll turn out.

HQXLmEFl.jpg

nWNrXNPl.jpg

bLqlh1il.jpg

Jwd4wX9l.jpg

okB6Trbl.jpg

(Excuse the messy kitchen, I'm in the process of kind of moving in)

I was super impressed by the amount of detail they packed into such a tiny package. It also made it kind of a pain in the ass to panel line that much detail. The clear stickers were thankfully relatively easy to place but do stand out against the darker colors. I also broke the big sniper rifle already - when I pulled it out to change weapons/hands, the tiny peg attaching it to the hand broke and I had to dig it out from the groove in the palm. Overall, I'm shocked at how good this kit was, and it was only $20 from Amazon with free one-day Prime shipping. It's ridiculous how much more accessible the hobby is nowadays. I remember going to Toys R Us as a kid and maaaybe catching sight of a questionable selection of Gundam Wing HGs.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I was super impressed by the amount of detail they packed into such a tiny package.
In general the HG kits for The Origin are really good. They were clearly designed for older fans who would appreciate extra details and a certain classic look to the mechs rather than the sleek overdesigned stuff some of the newer Gundam stuff for kids are. Check out of the prototype Guntank. It's one of my favorite HG kits!

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
In general the HG kits for The Origin are really good. They were clearly designed for older fans who would appreciate extra details and a certain classic look to the mechs rather than the sleek overdesigned stuff some of the newer Gundam stuff for kids are. Check out of the prototype Guntank. It's one of my favorite HG kits!

Ha, I actually probably fall into the latter category of liking overdesigned stuff (see my MG Strike Noir), though I think I've become more appreciative of simpler designs over time. I mostly got the Zaku because I've never built a Zeon suit, and wanted to work on something more simple before I eventually get a Sinanju or Sazabi. I looked at the prototype Guntank and whew that's a lot of panel lining. If I wanted to build another HG right now, I'd probably go for the Dom Test Type, but I'm in a weird position with my current moving situation where my stuff is delayed and shouldn't buy another Gunpla until my stuff (with all the kits seen here) arrives.

EDIT
Does anybody have advice on top coating? I have a bottle of Tamiya clear. I'm gonna buy the little skewers and alligator clips and stick them in some styrofoam or something, I guess? What's the easiest thing to screw up or what did you wish you knew before you did it?

Last edited:

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I also have the Origin Guntank and it rocks. Char Zaku is pretty good as well, i bought it just to get that giant Anti-Ship rifle.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
If you want giant weapons, the RE/100 Guncannon Detector comes with an extra weapon for a Desert type Nemo (as seen in Unicorn's Torrington base attack) which I'm not getting because it's P-Bandai and I already have the regular green Nemo from Zeta.
I think it's even longer than the one sported by MG Ground Gundam.

Kubinsky

Oct 29, 2017
Hey,

I am quite new to gunpla building. Working on a rg banshee norn right now but as these kits are difficult to get in germany and a business trip to shanghai coming up I want to ask if there are any general recommendations for gunpla kits or things to get from a gundam base store?

Right now I focus on RG kits as I like the small size and high detail (and absolutely hate the sticker size). But I am also open for other grades.

Apart from the banshee I have a sinanju and full armor unicorn that I plan to build next. But with the banshee close to being finished there is space for at least 1 or 2 more :)