• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Hey,

I am quite new to gunpla building. Working on a rg banshee norn right now but as these kits are difficult to get in germany and a business trip to shanghai coming up I want to ask if there are any general recommendations for gunpla kits or things to get from a gundam base store?

Right now I focus on RG kits as I like the small size and high detail (and absolutely hate the sticker size). But I am also open for other grades.

Apart from the banshee I have a sinanju and full armor unicorn that I plan to build next. But with the banshee close to being finished there is space for at least 1 or 2 more :)
Given what you are into, I'd say: get the RG Sazabi and RG Nu Gundam if the latter has already released by the time you go to Shanghai.
Or you could get the MG Ver.Ka of those two if you want to delve into 1/100.
Limited editions exclusive to the Gundam Base might also be a good idea because getting those by other means is exceedingly expensive.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm planning to order the RG Tallgeese Monday, if I get it on sale even better. Also considering putting in a mg Shadow Gundam order

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Bought RG Wing EW, RG Crossbones, SDCS Shin Getter, and SDCS Mazinkaiser over the weekend. Still have the Ultra Seven kit to do. Have the RG Tallgeese-III and RG Perfect Strike coming in Oct from P-Bandai. I think that should be enough to last me all of this year and beyond.

I'll worry about RG Nu Gundam in 2020, hopefully when they announce Hi-Nu lmao.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Never watch any UC Gundam so I don't have attachement to the mobile suit, Hi-nu didn't look as cool as Nu Gundam imo. I love that asymmetric look Nu Gundam have.

Now I'm reminded that I really want HG Moon Gundam

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Never watch any UC Gundam so I don't have attachement to the mobile suit,
In terms of attachment to Mobile Suits, not watching UC Gundam is feasible if all one builds are High Grade kits. However, for Master Grade I'd say that the ratio of non UC kits probably hovers at about 30% (I counted about 66 out of 211). And if we are talking grunts in MG form, it gets even worse. I'm pretty sure more than 90% MG grunts are UC with the occasional exception like the GN-X.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
i wonder why? /s

It's time to replace my (first, i have another HWS) HGUC nu Gundam.

It's glorious.

Gonna have to get an Action Base 5 for it though, I doubt it'll easily stand on its own with the funnels.
i didn't know that there is already an action base 5. ^^
i have a few action base 1 from my old mastergrade kits that i can use for it. (and action base 2 but i don't know if they can support the RG nu Gundam with funnels)

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder why? /s

It's time to replace my (first, i have another HWS) HGUC nu Gundam.

i didn't know that there is already an action base 5. ^^
i have a few action base 1 from my old mastergrade kits that i can use for it. (and action base 2 but i don't know if they can support the RG nu Gundam with funnels)
Action base 4 and 5 are fantastic. They are without screws, and support models better than 1 and 2. You can make more different types of poses as well.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I liked the RG of the Destiny, the HGCE just does so many things right for me without being overly "busy" or finicky to pose. It's almost as good as the old MG. The sword and beam cannon slot into the backpack very securely, the Wings of Light look fantastic, and it's posable without parts falling off at the slightest touch.

I only have a few knocks against it. One is the lack of one accessory: actual beam saber blades for the boomerangs. They double as both boomerangs and sabers, but only the beam parts for the boomerang mode are included. The other is that I think they should have included yellow parts for each extra hand, instead of making you take the yellow parts off one hand to put on the other. Those can and probably will get lost very easily.

I liked this kit so much I'm actually planning to double-dip and get the Heine version.

Also Ganyc, I'm using the Action Base 5 I told you about (albeit stolen from HGUC Moon Gundam, and Strike Freedom is on the one from 00 Sky [Higher Than Sky Phase])

20190715-120332.jpg

20190715-123535.jpg

20190715-125300.jpg

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Cracked open my RG Banshee "Premium Unicorn Mode Box" this weekend but did not get around to putting it together. Just took out the parts for the legs to be built. Going to try separating all the parts then building instead of fiddling around with runners the entire time.

The size and part count of this thing is intimidating since I've never done RG, but I've only heard good things about the Unicorn and Banshee RG so here we go!

Since my summer break starts at the end of this week, I wanted to get in at least 3-4 kits built. Already got RG Banshee, MG Altron (yes still not built!) and a SD Crossbone. Not sure what I want for the next kit. Either an obscure HG, or another MG.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Thanks for the heads up about the Action Bases. Gotta grab a few before I build more RGs haha. What's the difference between 4 and 5 btw?

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Action base 4 is intended for 1/100 scale kits, and AB 5 is intended for 1/144, although either could theoretically work for either scale depending on what you want to do with it.

FWIW, I love the AB 5 but still prefer AB 1 for my MGs

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Anyone interested with Bandai new 30 minute mission line? Watch a couple youtube video and it look kinda cool if you like grunt unit, it look sturdy, have great articulation for playing around and can use many weapon and accesories from gundam.

There's already some photo of painted/custom build stuff on instagram or pinterest that look pretty cool

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
A nice thing about action base 4 and 5 is that they use the same bases, so you can connect them without issues.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've had a couple broken gunpla because of accent line. I didn't notice at first, but when I come back to the gunpla after a month or so to change the pose, the shoulder joint broke and I had to glue the pieces to fix it :(

Not sure the proper way to use it. Do I simply need to topcoat it first? Or just don't use too much?

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
I've had a couple broken gunpla because of accent line. I didn't notice at first, but when I come back to the gunpla after a month or so to change the pose, the shoulder joint broke and I had to glue the pieces to fix it :(

Not sure the proper way to use it. Do I simply need to topcoat it first? Or just don't use too much?
Both ideally.

The panel liner and certain paints have solvents that can make plastic brittle. If you put too much the excess will pool and soak into the plastics. Also if you manage to get some in between a joint or 2 parts; it will take much longer for the panel liner to evaporate and will instead soak into the plastic.

The proper way is usually, (Primer > paints >) Gloss coat > Panel Liner > finish coat.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I just recently started using this. It was fine for two of my kits but a HG Rx78-2 that I was building started to have cracks. Even though I gloss top coated. I think I was using too much or it could be the enamel thinner. So be really careful I guess. I just finished an RG Unicorn and what I did was I used a Super Clear gloss top coat on all the pieces I was planning to panel line first, panel line, then assemble. On hindsight I should have done another layer of top coat before assembly. That would prevent my fingers from touching the panel lines too much. So far I just completed the model and it seems safe from cracking.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
not surprised at the accent line stuff. I once tried to strip paint off a piece that I fucked up by leaving it in a bag of lighter fluid but i let it sit too long and the plastic just crumbled.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Watching my in-laws house while they are away, but of course I had to bring a couple of kits to build while I am here haha.

Finished Sandrock and have now started on the RX-78 Ver 3.0.

Just panel lining and some stickers, nothing fancy.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I have been undecided for a while on both the RG Strike Freedom and the RG Wing Gundam; I kinda like them, but I feel like I only really care about the wings/backpack in both cases. I'll probably end up not getting either.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
My kid is wanting an RX78 with a core fighter that actually fits inside the torso of the suit. He's been interested in this for two years since his first kit the BB RX78 with core fighter. He's done 3+ HGs on his own and his birthday is coming up so I'm shopping for his request.
So not wanting to go too expensive I'm conisdering MG, MG1.5, MG2.0, VerKa, and RG. Whew. Durability is more important than badass looks at this point. Any thoughts?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
My kid is wanting an RX78 with a core fighter that actually fits inside the torso of the suit. He's been interested in this for two years since his first kit the BB RX78 with core fighter. He's done 3+ HGs on his own and his birthday is coming up so I'm shopping for his request.
So not wanting to go too expensive I'm conisdering MG, MG1.5, MG2.0, VerKa, and RG. Whew. Durability is more important than badass looks at this point. Any thoughts?
My friend had MG RX78 3.0 and it's great. RG is great too, but as early rg kit, it's kinda fragile and not for kids imo

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
While I haven't built the 1.0 or the 1.5, I have built the old 1.0 GM that it shares a lot of parts with. I would avoid those as a first MG as they will be disappointing compared to a modern HG. This doesn't preclude building them at a later date if found super cheap in order to understand how MG have evolved but this is a completely different matter than the one that occupies you right now.
The thing about the 2.0 is that it has the "anime" proportions and surface detail. Personally, I'm not in love with how it looks but the build is supposed to be solid from what I heard. Relatively modern (2008) but on the upper price range of what you listed.
The Ver.Ka I also know it indirectly by building the GM Kai which it also shares a lot with. It's not a particularly modern kit (2002) but it's fairly decent and it is quite affordable. The looks of the kit, once done, are rather attractive in my opinion.
The RG, I'd say avoid, seeing as durability is one of your prerequisites.
I guess your list omits the One Year War MGs because they don't seem to feature a core fighter that fits the torso. I like how it looks (more the animation color version than the game color version) and being from 2005 it's decent without being pricey but it does not fulfill the main premise of your question.
The 3.0 and The Origin are slightly more expensive than the 2.0 but not much more. If I had to choose looks and interesting build I'd go for the 3.0 if the price isn't outside of the range you had in mind. As for it being slightly too complex, I don't think there should be anything that cannot be tackled with a bit of patience and asking for your help if a roadblock arises.

TLDR: 3.0 if not outside the price range you had in mind. Otherwise, Ver.Ka for a cheap, older alternative. 2.0 is a middle ground if OK with its looks.
depending on how old the kid is
I love how in any other page of this thread this would be a typo. Age is a factor when building kits but is it much more complex than the RG?

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Do you guys think the RG Sazabi would be a good pick for trying out a matte topcoat? I'm pretty convinced that's the kit I'll get next either way.

Oct 27, 2017
I am torn between custom painting Deathscythe ver Ka to more closely match the tv version (i.e. painting the head to match the chest and shoulders) or just color matching the kit with a better palette (gold for yellow, mixing metallic blue with black for the blue-black etc) and keeping the white head.

Any opinions? Examples of your own?

And what are we using for photo uploads these days? Abload still supported?

Edit: Ah HA! Best of both worlds. I'm actually going to paint the back half of the head black and keep the front portion white. This way it keeps the original artist's vision from a front view but better distinguishes itself from Sandrock and gives it a reaper's hood-like concept which suits the erm suit. Now I'm excited!

Last edited:

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Buzz is done, looks great right out of the box. My one real complaint is the stickers used for the three front buttons, but the wing gimmick makes up for it.
KEn2JWx.png

If I wasn't so lazy I'd paint the purple on his fingertips.

Oct 27, 2017
This was fun. My first custom paint job on a kit. As mentioned above, my goal was to make this ver Ka better match the tv version of the original Deathscythe. So I made it black, trimmed it with gold and decided to make the head half black to give it the appearance of a reaper hood (and to distinguish it from Sandrock which I felt this version looked too much like). I also made the side skirts black on gold instead of the default white on white.

20190721_1853527zjs8.jpg

20190721_190230-1stjgd.jpg

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
This was fun. My first custom paint job on a kit. As mentioned above, my goal was to make this ver Ka better match the tv version of the original Deathscythe. So I made it black, trimmed it with gold and decided to make the head half black to give it the appearance of a reaper hood (and to distinguish it from Sandrock which I felt this version looked too much like). I also made the side skirts black on gold instead of the default white on white.

20190721_1853527zjs8.jpg

20190721_190230-1stjgd.jpg

Looks clean. Nice job.