• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really should have gone for that RG Perfect Strike and Tallgeese III. But when I was about to order them, I thought about if I really wanted them, or if I just wanted them because of the scarcity. I decided I'd shop around and get some kits I really wanted, and I ended up getting the HGUC Penelope and the Blue Destiny Unit 3 (why is Unit 2 sold out everywhere?).

Though, I might at least get the Perfect Strike if I don't find any of the wave 2 Gundam Universe figures when I go to my local Gamestops.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I really should have gone for that RG Perfect Strike and Tallgeese III. But when I was about to order them, I thought about if I really wanted them, or if I just wanted them because of the scarcity. I decided I'd shop around and get some kits I really wanted, and I ended up getting the HGUC Penelope and the Blue Destiny Unit 3 (why is Unit 2 sold out everywhere?).

Though, I might at least get the Perfect Strike if I don't find any of the wave 2 Gundam Universe figures when I go to my local Gamestops.
I will build mine in your memory... some day.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Does anyone have their kits in an action/battle pose? I was thinking of displaying my RG Sazabi and my (not yet existent) RG Nu Gundam as if they were in battle, maybe even adding something like this for the funnels; they're available in blue as well, but I think this would look better. They're way more expensive than they should, as an aside.
figure-rise-jet-effect-clear-yellow.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That RG Eva looks cool... but I can't preorder anything right now :( (combo of tight budget and possible impending move)... plus I still need to watch the show... say was that Netlflix dub an ok option or should I seek out the older dub?

(also as I say this I am feeling tempted by the other 4 sdcs non-Gundam guys, well later this month after I build great Mazinger)

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That RG Eva looks cool... but I can't preorder anything right now :( (combo of tight budget and possible impending move)... plus I still need to watch the show... say was that Netlflix dub an ok option or should I seek out the older dub?

(also as I say this I am feeling tempted by the other 4 sdcs non-Gundam guys, well later this month after I build great Mazinger)

Older dub.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Decided to complete the trinity and order Sdcs Getter Robo(Shin Armageddon). But otherwise I'm solid backlog wise and won't be ordering anymore kits this year... cept maybe SDCS Gaogaigar... and Mazinger z/Mazinkaizer budget allowing.... maybe, I'll take a new backlog pic when Tallgeese gets here

also got it The Sum of Zero thanks for the input.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I impulse bought Silver Bullet Supressor at Barnes and Noble. Shame on me for being weak.

Once everything comes in I'll have joined the backlog gang.

HG Heine's Destiny (still not done with it)
HG Silver Bullet Supressor
HG Blue Destiny Unit 3
HG Penelope

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well look what got in today! I didn't even know the Tallgeese 3 had been shipped until it arrived
86ZeXdt.jpg

I think I did a fun pick for my first RG
and Backlog pic! I've got a nice healthy one now, should be set till March, which is good since I'm going to be tight on funds around the holidays. Also will be fun to take some pics of the Super Robot(wars) big Three in CrossSilhouette and sd forms(well a version... I do plan to get Mazinger Z and Masinkaiser down the road but when that shall be I don't know. Gaogaigar I'll probably bite on when he hits amazon at retail prices, which may not happen till January despite releasing this month)
YuE8quf.jpg

Building great Mazinger next, probably next weekend. Also nice to have some non Gundam kits for a change, but the water slides on the xwing intimidate me. I also have a buddy to thank for grabbing me the xwing, altron, and Phantom on B&N clearance for me last month. Normally I skip the Star Wars kits due to the licensing markup, same as the minipla Megazords(although I do want the in space ones....).
Always nice to have a backlog

Last edited:

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a nice spread, I'm interested in getting Shin Getter and Mazinkaiser SDCS too.

Done with MG Zaku Warrior Gunner (at least snap build and panel lining). If I don't find waterslides by next week I'll go ahead with sticker decals.
INat0zw.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That's a nice spread, I'm interested in getting Shin Getter and Mazinkaiser SDCS too.

Done with MG Zaku Warrior Gunner (at least snap build and panel lining). If I don't find waterslides by next week I'll go ahead with sticker decals.
INat0zw.jpg
Only downside with sdcs shin getter I can tell off the bat is a lot of those green parts on the arms and legs are stickers, and well lime green isn't a super common paint color(I don't have it in my Gundam markers). On the flip side as far as I can tell it's the only Getter Robo kit Bandai has done that isn't prebuilt or super ancient so that's a plus

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Can't think of better motivation to get moving on my backlog than that Eva Unit 1 RG

Really interested to see how big it's going to be.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Certainly took my time with this one. I blame G Generation Genesis.

20191103-131924.jpg

Guess I'll work on the Silver Bullet Suppressor next.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Try To Paint Barbatos Lupus Rex on Red Feet Part by using Tamiya Enamel Yellow [X-8]
End Up both feet broken because I use too much Tamiya Enamel Thinner to clean the colour.

I'm not sure but Its look like a yellow does not attach with Red? I don't have a problem with finger and tail.

I see this clip he paint white as surface before paint yellow follow.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
That will be epic! And huge! And waaaayyyy out of my price range

At 13,000 yen it's actually cheaper than the average PG, and with early bird discount it might even come at $100 or even slightly less.

mz01.jpg

Try To Paint Barbatos Lupus Rex on Red Feet Part by using Tamiya Enamel Yellow [X-8]
End Up both feet broken because I use too much Tamiya Enamel Thinner to clean the colour.

I'm not sure but Its look like a yellow does not attach with Red? I don't have a problem with finger and tail.

I see this clip he paint white as surface before paint yellow follow.

For many colored parts (especially red) it would be better to use a white/light grey primer first before painting.

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Mazinger Z might not be officially called a Perfect Grade but saying it's just a 1/60 scale model is disingenuous merely because based on the price one expects a certain level of detail and engineering proficiency.
Let's take some examples of 1/60 VS Perfect Grade:
  • Exia 4,500 VS 18,000
  • Strike 3,500 VS 14,000
  • Zeta 3,500 VS 20,000
  • Strike Freedom 9,500 (lighting edition) VS 25,000
There are other 1/60 scale gunpla (they vary between old and extremely old) but they don't have a PG to compare. Those tend to be around the 3,000-4,000 yen range. The lighting edition Strike Freedom is kind of an outlier because of its gimmick and if you compare the regular Exia PG to the PG that comes with the lighting included you go from 18,000 to 32,000.
I haven't looked into what the Mazinger Z includes, maybe it doesn't feature an inner frame and it is what people call a big HG. However those 1/60 I listed do fall into the big HG category so the extra price should be going somewhere. Even then, some people associate MGs with inner frames but the GP01 I'm working on doesn't have a full inner frame despite having some other gimmicks we associate with the grade.

TL;DR: for 13,000 one should expect the kind of quality you get with the relatively recent but simpler PG like Strike.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Penelope came in, jesus fuck the box is huge. My biggest HGUC box up until now was the Narrative A-Packs but this beats that out.

To borrow kids' slang these days, this is an ABSOLUTE UNIT.

2940-C0-DE-73-E2-44-CB-804-B-E15754-A8-FDD7.png

The manual behind it gives it away, I'm working on Blue Destiny Unit 3 first, then I'll tackle this chicken beast.

Schmeedtz

Nov 6, 2017
Mazinger Z might not be officially called a Perfect Grade but saying it's just a 1/60 scale model is disingenuous merely because based on the price one expects a certain level of detail and engineering proficiency.
Let's take some examples of 1/60 VS Perfect Grade:
  • Exia 4,500 VS 18,000
  • Strike 3,500 VS 14,000
  • Zeta 3,500 VS 20,000
  • Strike Freedom 9,500 (lighting edition) VS 25,000
There are other 1/60 scale gunpla (they vary between old and extremely old) but they don't have a PG to compare. Those tend to be around the 3,000-4,000 yen range. The lighting edition Strike Freedom is kind of an outlier because of its gimmick and if you compare the regular Exia PG to the PG that comes with the lighting included you go from 18,000 to 32,000.
I haven't looked into what the Mazinger Z includes, maybe it doesn't feature an inner frame and it is what people call a big HG. However those 1/60 I listed do fall into the big HG category so the extra price should be going somewhere. Even then, some people associate MGs with inner frames but the GP01 I'm working on doesn't have a full inner frame despite having some other gimmicks we associate with the grade.

TL;DR: for 13,000 one should expect the kind of quality you get with the relatively recent but simpler PG like Strike.
I agree, but I think the fact they didn't announce it as a PG is an indicator we shouldn't expect PG Strike like quality, even if they are within the same price range.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I'm expecting it to be more like a Mega Size kit than anything.
Not knowing the supposed size of Mazinger Z, would a 1/60 version be similarly sized to a 1/48 Gundam?
MegaSize is kind of expensive for the tech you get and the price is only justified by the size/amount of plastic.
Even then, 13,000 Yen for something like a MegaSize is kind of pushing it higher than the already very big Unicorn at 10,000

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Not knowing the supposed size of Mazinger Z, would a 1/60 version be similarly sized to a 1/48 Gundam?
MegaSize is kind of expensive for the tech you get and the price is only justified by the size/amount of plastic.
Even then, 13,000 Yen for something like a MegaSize is kind of pushing it higher than the already very big Unicorn at 10,000

The 1/60 kit is going to be 423mm tall I believe the info said so a few cm shorter than the Mega Size Unicorn which quickly measuring mine is about 460mm tall to the top of the v fin. There may be a licensing fee they have to pay for which may have increased the cost as well.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The 1/60 kit is going to be 423mm tall I believe the info said so a few cm shorter than the Mega Size Unicorn which quickly measuring mine is about 460mm tall to the top of the v fin. There may be a licensing fee they have to pay for which may have increased the cost as well.
I stand corrected, then. I went by the scale alone and I assumed it would be the size of a PG. I guess Mazinger Z is a taller robot than the typical 18-20 metres we are used to in Gundam.
Even as an owner of two MegaSize kits, this one looks like a hard sell unless it turns out to offer more than initially expected.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I stand corrected, then. I went by the scale alone and I assumed it would be the size of a PG. I guess Mazinger Z is a taller robot than the typical 18-20 metres we are used to in Gundam.
Even as an owner of two MegaSize kits, this one looks like a hard sell unless it turns out to offer more than initially expected.
Classic is about 18-20, but this the infinity version is 25 meters apparently at least from what I could find

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Dash Dash, Dun-Dun-Dunna
Just finished the Great Mazinger, fun little build, very glossy... I think I'm about due for new nippers
7RKlKIC.jpg

Wbd6igo.jpg
1514Rku.jpg

Painted the mouth vents and sword hilt but everything else is beyond me so I used the stickers. Definitely getting Mazinkaizer and Mazinger Z down the road, but I'm building Shin Getter next week. That Gaogaigar will also be mine when it gets down to retail price

I'm jealous of my parents right now, they are visiting Tokyo right now so they are visiting Diver city mall and sent me pics of my dad next to the Gunpla stair ad and the life size unicorn Gundam XD. Didn't put in a kit request because they have other stops to make and don't have the luggage room sadly

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Work will keep me from finishing the Fixed Flight unit for a few days, but I did finish Odysseus Gundam. This is a big boi.

And a size comparison with HGUC Blue Destiny Unit 3 and Silver Bullet Suppressor.

20191108-194708.jpg

20191108-194817.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Master Grade RX-78GP01 Zephyranthes

This kit is really old. No wonder people have wanted a 2.0 for a long time. In fact, the kit I built (which I bought preowned) is from August 1997 (all gunpla includes the date of manufacture in the numbered wheels in the runners). Somebody bough this kit 22 years ago when it was initially released and kept it until a couple of years ago when I bought it. The box even came with a pamphlet promoting the sale of CD-ROM that contained build tutorials with separate versions for Windows and McIntosh (pre OS X).

Only the legs have an inner frame but, at least, it has articulated hands and a fully transformable core fighter. However, all the yellow parts are stickers which is quite disappointing for a Master Grade. This thing may be interesting as a reminder of what gunpla used to offer 22 years ago but it is definitely not recommended. Get the RG instead unless you are a completionist or you absolutely need it in 1/100 scale and, even then, maybe waiting for a 2.0 is a better option. Although I'm saying this, the GP02, which I expect to be equally outdated, is already in the backlog. :P

EI9Z-8bWsAApuqz

EI9aAHjXYAUnAcs

EI9aBM7XkAAv5t5

EI9aCOBXsAIBdEP

EI9aEfSXYAAHBO5

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the RG Eva-01: is there any point to pre-ordering it rather than just waiting for it to show up on Amazon? Looks like sites like gundamplanet and usagundamstore have it for ~$45 and it'll cost $10ish for shipping. However, I've had pretty good luck buying Gundams from Amazon - I got my HGUC Revive RX-78-2 for $11 and my HGUC Zaku II Char for $20 with prime shipping. I see that even the Nu hotness (RG Nu) is available for ~$45 on Amazon with prime shipping, whereas it's about the same price + additional (and probably slower) shipping from the hobby sites.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Regarding the RG Eva-01: is there any point to pre-ordering it rather than just waiting for it to show up on Amazon? Looks like sites like gundamplanet and usagundamstore have it for ~$45 and it'll cost $10ish for shipping. However, I've had pretty good luck buying Gundams from Amazon - I got my HGUC Revive RX-78-2 for $11 and my HGUC Zaku II Char for $20 with prime shipping. I see that even the Nu hotness (RG Nu) is available for ~$45 on Amazon with prime shipping, whereas it's about the same price + additional (and probably slower) shipping from the hobby sites.
In the US Bluefin has been bringing over most sublines Bandai has been doing(licensing willing of course), so generally it'll be within 10% of Japanese prices(again barring a licensing bump, Zords and Star Wars got hit by this), so odds aren't bad at all

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
In the US Bluefin has been bringing over most sublines Bandai has been doing(licensing willing of course), so generally it'll be within 10% of Japanese prices(again barring a licensing bump, Zords and Star Wars got hit by this), so odds aren't bad at all

Probably none.
Just don't wait something like a year after release to get it because the probability of it eventually getting out of stock and having to wait for a reissue is slightly higher than regular gunpla.

Great, thanks. I guess I'll just be patient.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OH LAWD HE COMIN

20191111-124657.jpg

20191111-035758.jpg

20191111-131003.jpg

I love this. It's insane looking, gigantic, and ridiculous. I haven't transformed it to its flight mode yet, I have it standing up perfectly on top of my bookshelf and don't want to mess with reposing it yet. Maybe later.

And here's another size comparison, this time with HGUC BD Unit 3 and RG Sazabi.

20191111-131102.jpg

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
OH LAWD HE COMIN

20191111-124657.jpg

20191111-035758.jpg

20191111-131003.jpg

I love this. It's insane looking, gigantic, and ridiculous. I haven't transformed it to its flight mode yet, I have it standing up perfectly on top of my bookshelf and don't want to mess with reposing it yet. Maybe later.

And here's another size comparison, this time with HGUC BD Unit 3 and RG Sazabi.

20191111-131102.jpg

I still can't decide whether I want the kit or not. On one hand it looks great, on the other I think it is kind of chunky and not in a good way. And I'm more interested in the Odysseus itself than the whole kit😋

Also I just completed my first gunpla weathering yesterday. I feel like I could be a bit more careful with some of my brush strokes.

Basically I used spray can Tamiya Smoke to give the model a dirty coat.
Then I rub away a large portion of it with alcohol days later.
Used the burning toothpick method to get some damage onto the shield and right thigh.
Then I used dry brushed acrylic flat aluminium onto some of the parts before working with the Tamiya Weathering sets.
Finished with a flat topcoat.
wR43A0d.jpg

vnYB2u6.jpg

fzfmVGt.jpg

More pics here http://imgur.com/a/8X6O5mT

Didn't do anything to the rifle since I kind of misplaced it until moments before I took the pictures.

Last edited:

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Got back to my work-in-progress build after a couple of months hiatus.

GaqHVyH.jpg

Note, how did I shrink images?

Efit. Quoted then unquoted lol

Last edited:

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
No problem. Anyway I think Resetera does resize pictures to a certain extent? It is not like on Gaf where the images will not fit within the boundaries of the posting space
:) For me it never changes because I'm on mobile, I havn't browsed Era on a computer in over a year. But some people have complained about large images which I can assume is pc users

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
:) For me it never changes because I'm on mobile, I havn't browsed Era on a computer in over a year. But some people have complained about large images which I can assume is pc users

Actually I just saw on the CatEra OT that we shouldn't put pictures in quotes.

Don't actually put your pics in quote tags like you would on GAF: Era resizes images automatically without them. In fact if you quote tag them they become a bit unconfortable to see, as they're very small by default but when you click them they become full size, which can be huge.