• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
This was another simple and straightforward SDCS build, but I did run into a funny issue while putting it together. The thin orange vertical piece that goes into the forehead fin thingy was a really loose fit. It doesn't snap in at all and would easily fall out at the slightest movement of the head. I had to use a little bit of blutack to just hold it in. Curious if it was a single defect in this particular kit I got, or if it's a problem with the mould.

ELgUm60VAAA7fQY.jpg

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I went and got it. This will probably be my last build of the year.

I'm hoping to start off 2020 with MG Barbatos, if it's not sold out everywhere. It's not often you get to build your first Gunpla of the decade.

20191213-141624.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This was another simple and straightforward SDCS build, but I did run into a funny issue while putting it together. The thin orange vertical piece that goes into the forehead fin thingy was a really loose fit. It doesn't snap in at all and would easily fall out at the slightest movement of the head. I had to use a little bit of blutack to just hold it in. Curious if it was a single defect in this particular kit I got, or if it's a problem with the mould.

ELgUm60VAAA7fQY.jpg
I want him! But I have no budget :(

thinking of making my rg Tallgeese 3 my last build of the year, first of that class would be a good finish

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
It's not often you get to build your first Gunpla of the decade.
But the next decade won't start for another year. :P It's not even astronomical winter right now in the northern hemisphere. ;)

Anyways, penultimate build of the year.

HGBD RGM-86RBM GM III Beam Master

The shield is not canon because it's the one from the GM III kit and it's supposed to be discarded but I liked it to much for me to not use it. Technically, I could have used the one from the HGUC powered GM since it also has a white rim and orange center without a yellow cross as it is featured in episode 1 of Gundam Build Divers but there's something unusual about a Federation shield with the cross in mostly white instead of red that appeals to me.

I realised after the I took the photos that the muzzle piece of the Changeling Rifle is slightly crooked (I probably bumped on it while posing the kit for the photo). It's already fixed but I'm feeling too lazy to take the photos again just for that.

ELwPUIhXYAAl2Tt

ELwPUuSWoAE6Dg_

ELwPVVCX0AEqkPd

ELwPV66X0AA660X

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw that thread, the guy was wrong lol.

Anyway, I see USA Gundam Store has a sale going. HG Barbatos Lupus Rex is dirt cheap so I ordered it, that'll be my last kit of the year after Shogun Megazord.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I went and got it. This will probably be my last build of the year.

I'm hoping to start off 2020 with MG Barbatos, if it's not sold out everywhere. It's not often you get to build your first Gunpla of the decade.

20191213-141624.jpg

Share pics! And I doubt you'll ever have to worry about that selling out. After all, Bandai always reissues their stuff.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone say Dreadnought?

s-l640.jpg

I'd love to do a battleship model kit, but I'm still intimidated because I know they take a lot of paint and some cement.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna make a separate post for this, here's the Super Minipla Muteki Shogun (or Shogun Megazord).

Maybe it's just a problem with mine but the head that's supposed to fit over Red Saruder Claw's head when combined doesn't lock in place like the instructions say. Other than that, had no real problems with this. It's not as nostalgic for me as, say, the Megazord or the Ninja Megazord, but I'm starting to appreciate this design quite a bit now.

And the Kakuranger OP theme is catchy as hell, btw.

Az0DHCx.jpg

VtZ60PO.jpg

c0HwoGs.jpg

Oh, and just like Ninja Megazord, it fits in Titanus. So here's Shogun Ultrazord

6aL9G28.jpg

A few more images: https://imgur.com/a/0V2uOzw

I wonder why they haven't done a Super Minipla of Dairen'oh/Thunder Megazord yet. That, Tigerzord, and Tor would get them a good bit of money (though I'd expect Tor to be P-Bandai like Titanus was).

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
My RG Unicorn is still in waterslide hell. I'm hoping to get it done by the end of 2019 and then work on a quick HG or 2 to get my groove back.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I finished my last build of the year, MG Heavy Arms EW. Was just at Ikea and picked up another Detolf, waiting for food before we see Star Wars.
Will build the Detolf and post pictures on Monday.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame there's no Ikea store anywhere near me. And online, they want to charge more than $200 in shipping for a $50 shelf..

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got my HiRM God Gundam. I'll probably start panel lining the runners today and then start building it tomorrow.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I have started building it but it's not complete yet.

Early impressions: I did not expect the inner frame to be pre-built. Every part is really glossy, and they've undergated a ton of parts. There's not really any prominent nub marks from what I can see yet. The rubber stickers on the feet are kind of neat, I hope they mean it gets a good grip for later.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I have started building it but it's not complete yet.

Early impressions: I did not expect the inner frame to be pre-built. Every part is really glossy, and they've undergated a ton of parts. There's not really any prominent nub marks from what I can see yet. The rubber stickers on the feet are kind of neat, I hope they mean it gets a good grip for later.

I'm mostly interested in knowing how you tackle panel lining. I'm too afraid to use my pen on it without using a top coat but I'm not sure if I have to use a glossy coat on an already glossy kit

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly interested in knowing how you tackle panel lining. I'm too afraid to use my pen on it without using a top coat but I'm not sure if I have to use a glossy coat on an already glossy kit
Oh yeah I panel lined the runners immediately with the Tamiya panel line accent wash. I also used the gundam marker panel line pen to touch up a few areas.

I don't experience any issues whatsoever by doing that. Sometimes the plastic can get slightly miscolored after using enamel thinner to remove some panel lines but I didn't experience any of that on this kit. The parts seem to be really high quality, or it's just the glossy part that helps.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here it is. Last build of the year (and the decade? o.o ), HG Barbatos Lupus Rex.

20191222-220742.jpg

20191222-222016.jpg

I went a little crazy on kits next year. But I shouldn't be surprised, when I moved out from my friends house and got my own apartment, I was able to get what I wanted and display what I wanted. A truly liberating feeling.

Final 2019 list (PG Unicorn was technically bought Christmas 2018 but I didn't build it until I moved. HG Perfectibility is the point on the list where I got my own place in mid-April):

HGCE Strike Freedom Gundam
HGUC Narrative Gundam A-Packs
RG Full Armor Unicorn Gundam
Figure-rise Standard Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Gogeta
HGUC Unicorn Gundam Perfectibility [Destroy Mode] [The Gundam Base Limited]
HGUC Narrative Gundam C-Packs
PG Unicorn Gundam
Figure-rise Standard Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Vegito
Star Wars 1/144 scale X-Wing Starfighter & Y-Wing Starfighter
Star Wars Vehicle Model TIE Advanced X1 & Fighter Set
Star Wars 1/2700000 Death Star II & 1/14500 Star Destroyer
HGUC RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type (REVIVE)
1/500 Space Battleship Yamato (2199)
HGCE Destiny Gundam
HGUC Unicorn Gundam [Luminous Crystal Body] [The Gundam Base Limited]
HiRM Wing Gundam EW
RG Crossbone Gundam X1
MG Gundam NT-1 [Ver. 2.0]
HG Char's Zaku II [Red Comet Ver.]
MG Zeta Gundam [Ver. 2.0]
30MM Alto [White]
RG Nu Gundam
RE/100 Zaku II FZ
RG Wing Gundam Zero EW & Drei Zwerg [Titanium Finish] [P-Bandai]
SDCS Gundam Ground Type
SDCS RX-78-2 Gundam
SDCS Unicorn Gundam [Destroy Mode]
HGCE Destiny Gundam [Heine Westenfluss Custom]
HGUC Silver Bullet Supressor
HGUC Blue Destiny Unit 3 "EXAM"
HGUC Penelope
Super Minipla Kakure Daishogun/Ninja Megazord & Tsubasamaru/White Ninja Falconzord
Super Minipla Muteki Shogun/Shogun Megazord
HG Gundam Barbatos Lupus Rex

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
But the next decade won't start for another year. :P It's not even astronomical winter right now in the northern hemisphere. ;)

Anyways, penultimate build of the year.

HGBD RGM-86RBM GM III Beam Master

The shield is not canon because it's the one from the GM III kit and it's supposed to be discarded but I liked it to much for me to not use it. Technically, I could have used the one from the HGUC powered GM since it also has a white rim and orange center without a yellow cross as it is featured in episode 1 of Gundam Build Divers but there's something unusual about a Federation shield with the cross in mostly white instead of red that appeals to me.

I realised after the I took the photos that the muzzle piece of the Changeling Rifle is slightly crooked (I probably bumped on it while posing the kit for the photo). It's already fixed but I'm feeling too lazy to take the photos again just for that.

ELwPUIhXYAAl2Tt

ELwPUuSWoAE6Dg_

ELwPVVCX0AEqkPd

ELwPV66X0AA660X
Looks great.

Aside from the panel lines, do you paint your kits cause they don't look shiny or do you use a gloss?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Built my second Detolf.
Pictures are not the best because a, I'm no photographer. B, glass :p

Gunpla Gallery
The Detolf: the Swedish product that binds hobbyists all over the world together. I'm about to build my third. :)
Looks great.

Aside from the panel lines, do you paint your kits cause they don't look shiny or do you use a gloss?
I generally don't paint my kits except certain details and I don't topcoat either. For the Beam Master the only things I painted are the dark grey parts at the top of the knees and the dark grey at the top of of the side-skirt armaments because all those were stickers with a relatively poor fit. Compare with the grey squares in the bottom front of the legs which are stickers but those could be applied without trouble.

The lack of plastic shininess is merely a product of lightning, not the finish on the model itself. I use a lightbox to take my photos which does a great job of diffusing light. If they were taken under your typical living-room lights you would see the plastic gloss.

Just take a look at the last two photos of this post from when I was experimenting on what worked best for the lightbox: same model but different lighting conditions results in a slightly different appearance.

Last edited:

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, yes ans no. Wing was my introduction to Gundam and I do have a lot of nostalgia for the suits. So when I went to Japan this year I decided to pick up the suits.
The anime itself is not top Gundam for me though :)

What would be strange is if you weren't introduced to Gundam with Wing (or Seed if you're younger).

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
What would be strange is if you weren't introduced to Gundam with Wing (or Seed if you're younger).
This is true for America but does it apply for Sweden? I was introduced to Gundam with the 1979 original in 2011. Gundam has never been on TV here and the only thing that has been broadcasted that references it heavily is Keroro which actually makes it rather weird because none of the viewers understand its obsession with Gundam and gunpla.

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This is true for America but does it apply for Sweden? I was introduced to Gundam with the 1979 original in 2011. Gundam has never been on TV here and the only thing that has been broadcasted that references it heavily is Keroro which actually makes it rather weird because none of the viewers understand its obsession with Gundam and gunpla.

A lot of the early to mid 90's is a blur to me tbh. There were so many shows, Dino Riders, Silver Fang, Cobra, Thundercats etc. I might have seen the OG Gundam first, but Wing is the one I remember. I've never seen Gundam dubbed though.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I live in Sweden as well. I never saw Gundam on TV either. One of my friends looked at Wing when she was young but I got properly introduced to the series by Gundam 00.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017

I'm not American and Wing is how I got introduced to it in the early 2000s. It's still possible to be introduced to it while watching regular anime but I was thinking of pre-modern internet era.

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I was definately not exposed to Gundam through tv. Sweden were very early internet adopters and I saw a lot of things through there that was not distributed here.

On another note, not sure what I will build as my first kit of 2020, Either the Musha or ZZ Ver. Ka.

Last edited:

Unraveled

Dec 15, 2019
Finally decided to register, used to post at the other place but, under a different name.
I've been building gundam kits for a little while & I just got the MG Sinanju Stein ver Ka as well as the HG Mazinkaiser. Going to custom paint the Sinanju a little bit.

Edit: Just got a Psycho Zaku for my bday to go with my Thunderbolt Gundam. Going to hit Ikea today to grab a detolf and hopefully some decent lighting for it.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I,don't really care about gundam but they do look cool - and I found a MG in a charity shop for a few quod and really enjoyed building it - the snap together approach and multi layered parts meaning no glue or need for painting was refreshing (I'm one of those that would build plastic plane kits with a 'glue fingerprint' on the cockpit.

so, I'm in Japan and feel like picking up maybe another MG and would like some advice what to grab. some of the prices seem ok (5-6,000 yen) but some are a lot more expensive but still 1/100 MG. don't want to buy a cheap but crap one, but nor do I want to spend a fortune. I like the more classic look over the fancier ones. I have a soft spot for Patlabor so the basic rx-78 (?) pushes my buttons I think

Rahvar

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I,don't really care about gundam but they do look cool - and I found a MG in a charity shop for a few quod and really enjoyed building it - the snap together approach and multi layered parts meaning no glue or need for painting was refreshing (I'm one of those that would build plastic plane kits with a 'glue fingerprint' on the cockpit.

so, I'm in Japan and feel like picking up maybe another MG and would like some advice what to grab. some of the prices seem ok (5-6,000 yen) but some are a lot more expensive but still 1/100 MG. don't want to buy a cheap but crap one, but nor do I want to spend a fortune. I like the more classic look over the fancier ones. I have a soft spot for Patlabor so the basic rx-78 (?) pushes my buttons I think

There are some "handgranades" with MG kits but they are usually ones with "fancier" design.
I'd recommend the MG 3.0 rx-78 or the Gundam mk2 is either aeug or titans colour

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Nice! Do these have any kind of articulation or are they fixed pose?
I have just started, so I can't answer in general. This one can rotate at the waist and both arms can also rotate around the shoulder. The most basic articulation you can get, pretty much. Also, rotating it too much will probably scrape some paint off (though it should remain hidden).

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Last build of the year:
Master Grade RMS-099 Rick Dias Quattro Bajeena Custom

I chose to use the parts that are the same as the navy blue variant belonging to Apolly and Roberto. Those seem to be the ones depicted in the anime when Quattro uses it as opposed to the mass-production variant.
My only complaint with this kit is that the dry-transfers were unusually difficult to apply. I've had less trouble with dry-transfers of preowned kits manufactured in the late 90s than this one that I bought new and was manufactured in 2013.
I've got to say that whoever designed Mobile Suits for Zeta really liked big feet. Be it The O, Rick Dias or even the Zeta itself (long rather than big) these robots aren't lacking in feet size.

EM-SIpdXkAAtKe3

EM-SJSXWwAEnLn4

EM-SJ1QW4AECWWi

EM-SKZtWwAAJu7Z

Now the list of completed kits of 2019. Technically, this could really be 23 item long because I don't feel like I did much more than assemble 3 or 4 pieces for the 1/400 MS which act as companions of the Alpha Azieru I built a long time ago or even the HCM Pro which comes mostly pre-built and only needs the assembly of a few pieces. Including them only for completeness. That the list also contains 4 LBX kits just cements that this year I didn't dedicate as much time to the typical HGs and MGs as I usually do.

1. HGBF GAT-X105B/FP Build Strike Gundam Full Package
  2. HGUC RGZ-91 Re-GZ
  3. HGBF MS-09R-35 Dom R35
  4. HGBF RGM-237C Powered GM Cardigan
  5. MG RX-93-v2 Hi-v Gundam
  6. LBX Odin M
  7. HG00 SVMS-01O Over Flag
  8. HGUC MS-21C Dra-C
  9. HGBF GNW-100P Gundam Portent
  10. NG 1/100 EB-05s McGillis's Schwalbe Graze
  11. HG00 GNR-101A GN Archer
  12. MG MS-07B Gouf
  13. HCM PRO GN-003 Gundam Kyrios
  14. LBX Trivhine
  15. RE/100 MSA-005K Guncannon Detector
  16. HGUC PMX-001 Palace Athene
  17. MG MSA-0011 S Gundam
  18. LBX Dot-Blastrizer
  19. MG RGM-89 Jegan
  20. 1/400 RGM-89 Jegan
  21. 1/400 RGZ-91 Re-GZ
  22. MG MSM-07S Z'Gok
  23. MG RX-78GP01 Gundam Zephyranthes
  24. LBX Val Diver
  25. HGBD RGM-86RBM GM III Beam Master
  26. MG RMS-099 Rick Dias Quattro Bageena Custom

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I painted the destroy mode v-fin on my RG Unicorn and I'm trying to decide whether or not to panel line it. Thoughts on panel lining over metallics?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I painted the destroy mode v-fin on my RG Unicorn and I'm trying to decide whether or not to panel line it. Thoughts on panel lining over metallics?
A cautious approach would be to topcoat it with gloss before panel lining. If you don't topcoat and whatever you use to panel line is as strong or stronger than what you used to paint the V-fin, it will affect the paint.
Just going from memory, I think the order of strength for paints was: lacquer > enamel > acrylics meaning that you could use acrylics over enamel without worrying but this is second information so I'm not entirely sure how accurate this is. Additionally, I have no idea what kind of paint is actually used on something like a Gundam Marker. If I recall correctly, your typical pre-made wash for panel lines is enamel, so using that on a V-fin painted with acrylics without a topcoat could potentially ruin it.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
A cautious approach would be to topcoat it with gloss before panel lining. If you don't topcoat and whatever you use to panel line is as strong or stronger than what you used to paint the V-fin, it will affect the paint.
Just going from memory, I think the order of strength for paints was: lacquer > enamel > acrylics meaning that you could use acrylics over enamel without worrying but this is second information so I'm not entirely sure how accurate this is. Additionally, I have no idea what kind of paint is actually used on something like a Gundam Marker. If I recall correctly, your typical pre-made wash for panel lines is enamel, so using that on a V-fin painted with acrylics without a topcoat could potentially ruin it.

The order is correct, and yeah going the opposite way will ruin the plastic.

As for what Gundam markers are made of, from a quick Google I couldn't find a clear answer. It's oil based, but what exactly I'm not sure.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The order is correct, and yeah going the opposite way will ruin the plastic.

As for what Gundam markers are made of, from a quick Google I couldn't find a clear answer. It's oil based, but what exactly I'm not sure.
I've seen some people class the ones that are for colouring as enamel (unsure if true) but the ones for panel lining tend to be a bit of a mystery. :P

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I already have a gloss coat on, the question is whether to line it with Tamiya wash or leave it be.

Aesthetically, I like the way the metallic sheen catches the highlights, but I think I'll probably go ahead and give lining a shot. Shouldn't be too hard to remove if it turns out I don't like it.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I already have a gloss coat on, the question is whether to line it with Tamiya wash or leave it be.
Then that's a matter of preference so it's up to you. The only thing I can offer is this look at the twin Ball set where I panel lined one without painting and painted the other in metallic colours without panel lining. Unfortunately, this does not tell you how metallic colours plus panel lines will look like.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Started on the RG Crossbones today. Finished the Core Fighter. Pretty cool to start building a kit that doesn't start with the legs! Haha.

ENBQrW5U8AALy77.jpg:large