• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So for a super beginner - I can just pick up a pack of markers to add a little more detail? Not planning on pairing or anything fancy

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Started on the RG Crossbones today. Finished the Core Fighter. Pretty cool to start building a kit that doesn't start with the legs! Haha.

ENBQrW5U8AALy77.jpg:large

I just finished My RG Crossbones. Gonna order DL water slide decal now.
The forehead (Skull Emblen) part seems easy to fall off. Glue it probably a better choice.

qALuGsV.jpg

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So for a super beginner - I can just pick up a pack of markers to add a little more detail? Not planning on pairing or anything fancy
All you need to begin with is a gray and a black panel liner. Black for darker parts and gray for white/lighter parts.

Another beginner tip that doesn't improve the build but helps with clutter/limited space.
If you have a kit with runners that are basically dedicated to one part, build that first so you have less runners to handle.usually this is when a kit has a large or special weapon, a stand or prop or when a part is in a different colour then the rest of the kit.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
There are some "handgranades" with MG kits but they are usually ones with "fancier" design.
I'd recommend the MG 3.0 rx-78 or the Gundam mk2 is either aeug or titans colour

Picked up a Gundam mk2 AEUG I yodabashi camera. Penultimate day in Japan and we hoped yellow submarine in Chiba was open but unfortunately not. Luckily the basement in yodabashi had a decent selection. As well as those two suggestions I also liked the F-91 which works with a lighting kit too, but the mk2 just edged it. Hoping the box isn't too big to bring back - might need to buy an extra suitcase

Bought a couple of pens too - thin marker style tips. They had a lot of different types so I just guessed. They had fine liner but I could only see black, chisel tips and others

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have the F-91 v2 (either with or without the lighting kit)? Curious how you find it. I don't think I have space to bring back both so might order it when I get home, but I think I need it.

Three 6 Mafia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw a really awesome photo of an Isuzu Tamiya model on Instagram only to look it up and find out I'm not in HG/MG Gunpla anymore 😭

I'll stick with what I can afford for now but I'm definitely intrigued by car/truck models now

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Saw a really awesome photo of an Isuzu Tamiya model on Instagram only to look it up and find out I'm not in HG/MG Gunpla anymore 😭

I'll stick with what I can afford for now but I'm definitely intrigued by car/truck models now

'I had a fun phase of RC stuff including a nice land cruiser/rock crawler from a Tamika kit - custom speed controllers and steering etc. Was halfway though a lifeguard truck based on a Toyota Hilux when the phase passed - parts still in my shed probably.

C4447-FCD-C8-BE-4814-B50-B-AC6-E978048-B3.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A WIP on my MG Barbatos, I've got the Gundam Frame finished.

Honestly this frame is one of my favorite things about IBO Gundams.

20200101-232036.jpg

20200101-232049.jpg

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Wow that looks great! I can't wait for the RG version haha!

Speaking of RG, my Crossbones is coming together. The stickers are a mix of really good fits and terrible ugly abominations like the chest piece. Really need the waterslides for the chest piece to not look like an eyesore for this one!

ENR1aHuUwAAgRVk.jpg:orig

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that looks great! I can't wait for the RG version haha!

Speaking of RG, my Crossbones is coming together. The stickers are a mix of really good fits and terrible ugly abominations like the chest piece. Really need the waterslides for the chest piece to not look like an eyesore for this one!

ENR1aHuUwAAgRVk.jpg:orig
Fwiw, looks fine in this pic. But I know that feeling. My Kyshatriya has a few spots that I intend on touching up I've I get a good handle on painting.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I only buy kits that have water slide options available these days, stickers typically ruin a kit for me, especially if the stickers are placed on darker plastics like dark blue or black. Total eye sore. Tough to have a kit look like that after putting so much time into a clean build. I've been drooling over the RG Cross bone, but I need a break from MG/RG, and may pickup the RE/100 Zaku II FZ or the Full Mechanics Barbatos. Get the MG look but a simpler more relaxed build. My MG RX-78-2 Ver 3.0 beat me up, elbow assembly was atrocious, and sometimes I feel MG adds complexity just because lol.

Anyways, getting close to finishing up the RX-78, so many water slides.

zN2Vwcqh.jpg

xsz6lebh.jpg

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Finished the saber. Looks really awesome. I also totally need to get a new phone. It's a pain taking photos, and I managed to drop it again while it was charging and now the charge socket slot is really loose. RIP!

ENSfgZJUUAIezPy.jpg:orig

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
There are so many HG RX-78-2 variants (and I've never bought one because by the time I got into gunpla the RG already existed).
Truth be told, I own three MG HG RX-78-2 variants (four if we were to count the Musha) because it's hard to tell that one of the MG is the definitive version at the time of purchase (maybe the 3.0) because they all have looks that are different enough, not just tech advancements.

EDIT: BTW The Sum of Zero how much are you going to pay scalpers for the MG Perfectibility?

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Speaking of RG RX-78s, I wonder when we'll get a 2.0. With all the advancements in RG engineering, it seems about time for an update!

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I have no need for a 2.0 of the RG RX-78-2. I'd rather get other stuff like a Hyaku Shiki, GP02A, GP03S, RX-79[G], RX-93-v2...
There's so much stuff I'd like to get in wonderful 1/144 engineering before a retread on granddaddy.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Finished the MG RX-78-2 Version 3.0
Very good looking. Is it fully painted or only detailed plus top coat?
If I may be so bold, for white kits like Gundams, I suggest a grey background which will give you better contrast. Black is also an option even if it gives a different vibe. White backgrounds, I prefer for kits that don't feature the colour themselves like, say, a Zaku or similar.

Last edited:

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
First build of the year and decade.
MG Shin Musha Gundam.

zGJDzIb.jpg

It was a interesting build. The legs were very unique and nothing was undergated but they hid a lot of nub marks behind other parts. A lot of layered armor and details.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should be finished with Barbatos in a day or two. Here's an arm comparison that I thought people might find interesting.

20200102-154303.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
When was the last time a RG released just after a MG? Spoiler: never.
I have to guess you'll be waiting at least a couple of years while Bandai avoids cannibalisation of their latest investment without waiting too much to avoid IBO becoming a thing of the past.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The eventual RG Barbatos is the reason I haven't bought an HG of the MS while I have bought the Hyakuri and the Hyakuren because an HG is all those two will ever get.
Given that it's a matter of when instead of if, the only thing one needs is patience (and a backlog that is bigger than one's free time). :P

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Finished the saber. Looks really awesome. I also totally need to get a new phone. It's a pain taking photos, and I managed to drop it again while it was charging and now the charge socket slot is really loose. RIP!

ENSfgZJUUAIezPy.jpg:orig
Oooo there's a reason that kits on my to get list... although no buying for me right now. Need to put together my 2019 build list later

Should start a new kit in the next few weeks, gotta decide if I'm doing the Tallgeese III RG but it's been a bit so I think ill do a hg just undecided on which one

Unraveled

Dec 15, 2019
I wish Bandai would make an app/program to plan out custom paint schemes for painting kits. Would save me some headaches!

My MG Sinanju Stein Ver Ka is almost done. Have more decals to apply and also the backpack + weapons. Thought about posting a WIP but, eh...Will probably just wait until it's done unless anyone wants to see.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017

Don't talk to me or my son etc. etc.

I wish Bandai would make an app/program to plan out custom paint schemes for painting kits. Would save me some headaches!

My MG Sinanju Stein Ver Ka is almost done. Have more decals to apply and also the backpack + weapons. Thought about posting a WIP but, eh...Will probably just wait until it's done unless anyone wants to see.

For the one (1) custom paint job I've done, I found line art of the MS online and mocked up the color scheme in Paint. I probably wouldn't have been able to keep it straight otherwise.

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Superkamikazee looks gorgeous - can you share your photography setup and settings?

Thank you. Here's a photo of my light box when I was using it for my RG Sazabi build.
mVaw8U3h.jpg

Resulting photo.
Sazabi RG 6 by superkamikazee, on Flickr

Settings vary like aperture and shutter speed, depending on how much light my camera can capture and which color background, white or black. ISO usually between 100-200, but most importantly I've found a focal length of 70-100mm to look best photographing gunpla kits. Gives the kit a larger sense of scale, gets rid of that toy look. I use a Sony RX-100 mkII camera, I hope that helps.

Very good looking. Is it fully painted or only detailed plus top coat?
If I may be so bold, for white kits like Gundams, I suggest a grey background which will give you better contrast. Black is also an option even if it gives a different vibe. White backgrounds, I prefer for kits that don't feature the colour themselves like, say, a Zaku or similar.

Thank you. Just detail painted a few spots, gundam paint markers. Also did panel lining, water slides, and a matte top coat. Didn't even think of using my black background, huge fail on my part. Next time. Speaking of Zaku's, I might pick up the RE/100 Zaku II FZ. I need a more laid back build after the rx-78 v3.0 lol.

Last edited:

Unraveled

Dec 15, 2019
For the one (1) custom paint job I've done, I found line art of the MS online and mocked up the color scheme in Paint. I probably wouldn't have been able to keep it straight otherwise.

I've done something similar for a RG Zaku II, it wasn't ideal but it got me through some of the initial planning.
20200106_1839451qkil.jpg

Also it was my first real paint job so it's sloppy in places & it was a victim of topcoat making panel lines run.
Oh, and the picture somehow rotated on me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. Here's a photo of my light box when I was using it for my RG Sazabi build.
mVaw8U3h.jpg

Resulting photo.
Sazabi RG 6 by superkamikazee, on Flickr

Settings vary like aperture and shutter speed, depending on how much light my camera can capture and which color background, white or black. ISO usually between 100-200, but most importantly I've found a focal length of 70-100mm to look best photographing gunpla kits. Gives the kit a larger sense of scale, gets rid of that toy look. I use a Sony RX-100 mkII camera, I hope that helps.

thanks - so just a simple overhead light source? are the left/right white paper or translucent - I guess they're acting as reflectors so pure white paper?

One more - 70-100mm as 35mm effective? I'd be using a m4/3 so that'd be around 35-50mm.

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
thanks - so just a simple overhead light source? are the left/right white paper or translucent - I guess they're acting as reflectors so pure white paper?

One more - 70-100mm as 35mm effective? I'd be using a m4/3 so that'd be around 35-50mm.

The white paper is just to reflect more light, I also use a filtered LED lamp to light the front of the model kit if it needs more light. 70-100mm, I believe that's 35mm effective. At 70mm f/4.0 at 100mm f/4.9 (changes as you zoom).

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I don't watch Divers so I didn't know about this thing existing. Not really feeling it, though.

193E9F38-01ED-4954-ADF0-87FA654D5621.jpeg

duckroll I found your next purchase.

BD5EBA79-4D32-4AE0-8021-E3E2C5EE62DD.jpeg

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Went to my local gunpla store to grab the re/100 Zaku FZ and they were all out. So I impulse purchased the full mechanics barbatos. Not super hyped on it, but I wanted to try a re or full mechanics kit. I'll give it a go, and see how it looks. Right out the box I'm a little disappointed the claws on the hands are black not yellow as pictured on the box, kinda lame. On the plus side, the store ordered a Zaku for me and should be in next week.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my rx178 mk2. Need to play with photos as I'm using a single flash and it's quite harsh Even trying to put light sides to reflect some back. Need to try with led lights
EA15-F734-B65-B-4931-96-D8-2-DB10408160-F.jpg

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hi folks, looking for some suggestions. I'd like to get into Gunpla (actually built a kit about 15 years ago) and was looking to build a RX-78-02 (though I also really like the RX-178).
I especially like the Origin versions. I saw a new announcement of a HG RX-78-02 for march and was thinking about waiting for it.
I really really like how this kit looks. Right out of the Manga.

But there also seems to be a MG Origin RX-78? There are so many RX-78s that it's really hard to keep track.

What are your suggestions? Is the MG kit basically the same as this newly announced HG?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Hi folks, looking for some suggestions. I'd like to get into Gunpla (actually built a kit about 15 years ago) and was looking to build a RX-78-02 (though I also really like the RX-178).
I especially like the Origin versions. I saw a new announcement of a HG RX-78-02 for march and was thinking about waiting for it.

I really really like how this kit looks. Right out of the Manga.

But there also seems to be a MG Origin RX-78? There are so many RX-78s that it's really hard to keep track.

What are your suggestions? Is the MG kit basically the same as this newly announced HG?
If budget is not an issue, if I were you I'd get the MG Origin RX-78-02. Even if it's newer, the HG won't be as good as the MG.
Reasons for getting the HG would be:
  • It will be cheaper
  • It's 1/144 if you prefer a smaller kit than a 1/100
  • It features pieces for the second evolution of the MS that the Master Grade lacks (as far as I'm aware)
Regarding the RX-178, the MG 2.0 of the MK-II isn't recent but it's a solid kit that I definitely recommend. Alternatively, you have a Real Grade for an advanced kit in 1/144 or the more basic High Grade that has a new version called Revive. Don't get either the old 1.0 Master Grade or the old High Grade.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If budget is not an issue, if I were you I'd get the MG Origin RX-78-02. Even if it's newer, the HG won't be as good as the MG.
Reasons for getting the HG would be:
  • It will be cheaper
  • It's 1/144 if you prefer a smaller kit than a 1/100
  • It features pieces for the second evolution of the MS that the Master Grade lacks (as far as I'm aware)
Regarding the RX-178, the MG 2.0 of the MK-II isn't recent but it's a solid kit that I definitely recommend. Alternatively, you have a Real Grade for an advanced kit in 1/144 or the more basic High Grade that has a new version called Revive. Don't get either the old 1.0 Master Grade or the old High Grade.
Thanks, that really helps a lot! Haven't really thought much about what scale I'd prefer to be honest. But the MG sounds really tempting.
The only thing is, maybe I'll eventually want to add a Zaku as well. I've seen an Origin HG Zaku, but no MG. That would be a bit of a bummer.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Thanks, that really helps a lot! Haven't really thought much about what scale I'd prefer to be honest. But the MG sounds really tempting.
The only thing is, maybe I'll eventually want to add a Zaku as well. I've seen an Origin HG Zaku, but no MG. That would be a bit of a bummer.
Right now there are no MG Zakus from the Origin, neither released nor announced AFAIK despite there being a lot of different HG Zaku variants from the Origin.
If having a Zaku that follows the Origin designs in order to partner it with the RX-78-02 is a priority, then I'd get the upcoming HG.
HG will always give you more variety than MG and the number of Moblie Suits that have an MG but not an HG are relatively limited exceptions.
I mean, we are in 2020 and from the original 4 Gundams of 00 only the third has just been announced with the fourth still unconfirmed while the amount of HG00 releases is enormous. There are some other 00 Master Grades but for the longest time it was mostly Exias and 00 Raiser variants.