• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
In my opinion Bandai prioritizes the domestic market more than anything else when deciding what gunpla to release next.
Granted, they won't ignore such a big market as the USA but if it had the capacity of meaningfully changing what releases and with how popular Wing is there I don't think the HG Leo would have taken so long to be released or the MG Nataku would not be P-Bandai.
This can obviously change now that gunpla is officially released in the States as long as the weight of its sales grows more important.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Does Bandai ever release information on the relative sizes of the different overseas markets compared to Japan? Would be really interesting to see how that stacks up over time.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Bandai releases financial statements as you can see here https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/en/ir/library/result.html and you can check the 2019 fiscal year numbers in one of the links https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/releases/index.cgi/file/view/9314?entry_id=6244
It's not detailed enough to get a clear picture of plastic model business per region but in general Japan's share of their business seems rather big. IPs like Gundam and Power Rangers (Super Sentai) seem to have almost half their market in Japan. Compare to sales from Dragon Ball where rest of the world is a much bigger chunk.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think I know what I'm going to get for my next kit, the MG 00 Qan[T] Full Saber. Anyone built it?

I know I'll need some extra stands to hold the swords up, but I have this pose in my head where it's dual wielding the GN Sword IV and the GN Buster Sword and it sounds like it'd be awesome. That and my old MG 00 Qan[T] is about 9 years old and a bit floppier than it used to be.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
If this came out a few years ago I'd probably have bought it.

KT11.jpg

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't built Gunpla since 2008. Even then I only stuck to the regular 1/100 models. I never painted them either. I'm coming up on 2 months of vacation and decided five off on the deep end and grabbed a Ex-S / S Gundam kit and really want to try and go all out and paint the kit. I was wondering what the best paint and customization guides for Gunpla is out there.

Hell I don't even know if I should just put the model together first and then disassemble it or just paint as I go. I don't know what paints I need or anything. Only thing I knew to pick up yesterday was nippers, sanding sticks, and hobby knife.

One thing I could use a quick answer on is how to remove the stress Mark's from the plastic? I'm using fine sand paper and it doesnt seem to work very well. I guess it should matter if I get the surface flush before I paint. But I just wanted to know for future builds that I don't paint.

Now I just need to figure out if I should build the S Gundam or the Ex-S.

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
One thing I could use a quick answer on is how to remove the stress Mark's from the plastic? I'm using fine sand paper and it doesnt seem to work very well. I guess it should matter if I get the surface flush before I paint. But I just wanted to know for future builds that I don't paint.
When cutting from the sprue with the nippers leave about a millimetre of plastic.
Then use the nippers to remove the nub but still leave about 0.1or 0.2 millimetres of plastic.
Then use a hobby knife to progressively shave the little bit of plastic you left in the previous step.
The hobby knife step can be substituted or complemented by using either sandpaper or a file with a fine grit.
If I'm not painting I prefer the hobby knife method because it leaves less micro-scratches (not important if painting).

gsab1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone ever painted a Rx78-3 color scheme before? There a couple version of the 78-2 coming out and was thinking about painting, and was wondering what people would recommend for paints.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Oh yes. Bring on Unit 2, Bandai!
Should have mentioned, the DX edition includes a positron rifle and attachments for Unit 01 to use it.
153_3753_o_1dvvvv0rt1dut156bd1ic31vhl23.jpg

Regular version is priced at about 4,950 Yen. DX is around 7,150 yen. Judging by how all-out they're going for these releases, I'd say a Unit 02 release is almost guaranteed. Just hoping for an MP EVA or some of the TV versions! :)

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, gonna wait on Qan[T] Full Saber...got my tax refund and gonna do a YOLO buy. Not telling until it gets in my hands :P

Just one hint: I'm opting for the non-LED version. Can always get the LEDs separate later.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
That would suggest the PG Exia but is that more YOLO than the Snow White Wing?

I've been building the 1/35 Vincent from Code Geass and I found it curious that, for a kit that is more or less comparable to an HG in the mid-lower quality range, it includes a pilot figure of Gilbert G.P. Guilford.
It makes sense because, one, molding a pilot in 1/35 is easier than 1/44 and, two, Code Geass fans seem more invested into its characters than its robots compared to Gundam.
The actual amusing part is that the pilot may be 1/35 but with a surprising attention to detail his legs are a bit too long comapred to the torso by faithfully replicating the usual Clamp proportions.

EQKN1UiU0AAELH-

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
In theory, almost all Master Grades include sitting pilots (often they'll also include an extra standing variant). Custom mobile suits (e.g. Char custom) do include specific characters but for most grunts you should get generic people. The problem is that most of them will be in a space suit so it's still rather specific; so to get someone in overalls the only MG alternative is probably ground type mobile suits.
I just checked the Ez-8 and the included figures are relatively generic even though someone in the know will notice that he is Shiro Amada.

The MG Mk-II has (in addition to Kamille) three crew men in space suits for the included base that mimics the Argama's deck.

Oct 25, 2017
In theory, almost all Master Grades include sitting pilots (often they'll also include an extra standing variant). Custom mobile suits (e.g. Char custom) do include specific characters but for most grunts you should get generic people. The problem is that most of them will be in a space suit so it's still rather specific; so to get someone in overalls the only MG alternative is probably ground type mobile suits.
I just checked the Ez-8 and the included figures are relatively generic even though someone in the know will notice that he is Shiro Amada.

The MG Mk-II has (in addition to Kamille) three crew men in space suits for the included base that mimics the Argama's deck.
Wait who comes with the EZ8? thought it was just a 1/20 shiro figure

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Wait who comes with the EZ8? thought it was just a 1/20 shiro figure
Oh, that 1/20 Shiro comes with the MG Ez-8 but what I meant is that the two 1/100 Shiro Amada figures that are included look generic enough that you could make him pass for another character.
In contrast, the figures that come with something like a Tallgeese or a HeavyArms give a very "specific character" vibe even if you don't know who Milliardo or Trowa are. Somewhat in the middle, Quattre and Wufei look relatively generic in 1/100 and they wear regular clothes, not pilot suits.
The 1/20 figures are a bit of a weird inclusion. Apart form Shiro for the Ez-8, I've seen Norris Packard for the Gouf Custom, South Burning for the GM Custom, Domon for Shining plus God, Master Asia for Master and Shinn plus Kira for Destiny Extreme Blast. There might be more. I've only built the Gouf and the GM and those 1/20s got tossed into the box with the extra parts.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm in the process of putting on waterslides on my ZZ Ver. Ka. But I've been having some issues with my elbow and there are a lot of waterslides... A. Whole. Lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that 1/20 Shiro comes with the MG Ez-8 but what I meant is that the two 1/100 Shiro Amada figures that are included look generic enough that you could make him pass for another character.
In contrast, the figures that come with something like a Tallgeese or a HeavyArms give a very "specific character" vibe even if you don't know who Milliardo or Trowa are. Somewhat in the middle, Quattre and Wufei look relatively generic in 1/100 and they wear regular clothes, not pilot suits.
The 1/20 figures are a bit of a weird inclusion. Apart form Shiro for the Ez-8, I've seen Norris Packard for the Gouf Custom, South Burning for the GM Custom, Domon for Shining plus God, Master Asia for Master and Shinn plus Kira for Destiny Extreme Blast. There might be more. I've only built the Gouf and the GM and those 1/20s got tossed into the box with the extra parts.
Oh I have a decent amount of the 1/20s
All the Gundam Wing pilots, Rain, Shiro, Cagalli Yulla Athha, Ple Two.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I'm one to talk. Just a couple of days ago there was an Astray Red Frame with a discount that I couldn't resist because I haven't bought a kit since October with the reasoning that the backlog is big enough as it is.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Haul from Wonder Festival today
Xw2dQ0p_d.jpg

Shimada Alice kit:

Finished checking the kit. It needs a lot of clean-up work, but it is part of the fun so I don't care. Currently I am building an old kit and expect to finish it by the end of March. Hopefully I can share more with you people soon.

Last edited:

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Koto had some nice stuff on display at WonFes.

Haul from Wonder Festival today
Xw2dQ0p_d.jpg

Shimada Alice kit:

Finished checking the kit. It needs a lot of clean-up work, but it is part of the fun so I don't care. Currently I am building an old kit and expect to finish it by the end of March. Hopefully I can share more with you people soon.

You're a brave man.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The waifus demand bravery, anything less will not do.

RPI-212A Vincent Commmander Model

Code Geass for a change of pace from Gundam. A somewhat unremarkable build, a few of the stickers used for certain shiny purple parts /lower legs, side-skirts and behind the head) are a pain in the ass to apply as they go on curved surfaces. Just a simple build to do between more complex gunpla models. The mechanism for the tires is kind of neat, I guess?

EQWiTIgXsAIIozF

EQWiTvCWoAAWgu-

EQWiURoXYAAmY65

EQWiU2wW4AAmpmS

Unraveled

Dec 15, 2019
Nice job! I never cared for the mecha in Geass but, that turned out good.

I wish Bandai had the rights for Gurren Lagann and the classic Macross valkyries too. Glad they have Mazinger and Eva now, they will be nice changes of pace between Gundam.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I am a bit disappointed that Hexa Gears took a backseat this time. Maybe they are planning something big. Good to see the continuation of Frame Arms as well as ZOIDS though. That Wild Tiger looks great. Megami Device and FA Girls also have some interesting designs, especially the former.

Haha, it is not about bravery or waifu. I just love building stuff and always want to try garage kits. I have a few garage kits now but never bother to finish them. I am determined to finish this one on hand though. It is fun.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A little warmup before my PG Exia shows up.

20200210-001620.jpg

20200210-003125.jpg

I really regret not ever getting this sooner. The whole Planets System gimmick translates so well to kit form. 100% getting the rest at some point.

But I wish they sold the Core Gundam separately. I want the kits to be show-accurate, so I'll have to rebuy Earthree a few times just for the Core to use with the Mercuone armor set, and the Veetwo and Marsfour.

Last edited:

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I am a bit disappointed that Hexa Gears took a backseat this time. Maybe they are planning something big. Good to see the continuation of Frame Arms as well as ZOIDS though. That Wild Tiger looks great. Megami Device and FA Girls also have some interesting designs, especially the former.

Like Freezy said in figure era sales are down so they're probably going all in on waifus for now. Still appreciate the few other stuff they're making, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Went in Hobby Lobby to get the stuff to make diorama water but saw they actually sold little sheets of "water", thats a nice little extra to have around.

Finally getting back around to finishing my Metal Gear Ray I halfway finished about 2 or 3 years ago.
Now if I can ever get back to my 1/200 Iowa.

Oct 25, 2017
Bandai releases financial statements as you can see here https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/en/ir/library/result.html and you can check the 2019 fiscal year numbers in one of the links https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/releases/index.cgi/file/view/9314?entry_id=6244
It's not detailed enough to get a clear picture of plastic model business per region but in general Japan's share of their business seems rather big. IPs like Gundam and Power Rangers (Super Sentai) seem to have almost half their market in Japan. Compare to sales from Dragon Ball where rest of the world is a much bigger chunk.
I miss the days in the US during Gundam Wing when you could just walk in Walmart, KB and Toysrus and buy loads of kits

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GundamPlanet is quick with their shipping, damn.

20200211-125854.jpg

Already did the chest frame, head frame, and GN Drive. Compared to the PG Unicorn I did last year, so far this is a breeze to build. Which makes sense, there's no transformation to deal with here.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my Shielder from Bandai. Very good quality and easy to build. Proportion and overall appearance looks amazing, too. Highly recommend.
Uonsg0h.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I picked up some of those Flames of War boats as it kinda hard to find anything like them in such a small scale.

The Metal Gear Ray model is pretty disappointing compared to Rex.
Rex hardly needed paint to look amazing, Ray they throw metallic painted images all over the instructions and such.
881805.jpeg

going to need to pick up some metallics I guess.

Last edited: