• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WIP PG Exia. Got the frame done. Should have the armor and weapons done next week.

BJJfBHx.jpg

kvwmPQM.jpg

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, got my Astro City model kit like 5 days before the earliest date predicted by Amazon. Might get a little bit of it done tonight, then work on it more on Sunday. Instructions seem easy enough & only 5 pages long. Maybe time myself to see how long it takes.

Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice, I may take some pictures of the progress. Really hope this clicks with me & I can move on to some bigger and/or complex stuff.

Edit: oops, I meant to only the chair & about 75 minutes later, after a few tries with being perfect with the stickers, I made the cabinet. I gotta admit, that was kinda fun. I'll get another model around the $50 mark & try for something like the Mega Man X figurine.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience with the 1/100 or 1/144 diorama building sets?
I see people talk about getting them like $5-$10 a building but then also find a single building for $30-$45.

Unraveled

Dec 15, 2019
Finished the HG Mazinkaiser. Painted everything but, kept the same color scheme as a straight OOB build. Now hopefully these pictures aren't huge & take forever to load:
mitDgEd.jpg
bNcmg7J.jpg

pGK3Pao.jpg

Size Comparison: MG Sinanju Stein vs HG Mazinkaiser
r6c6bjc.jpg

Last edited:

Unraveled

Dec 15, 2019
Me too, until they announced the 1/60 Mazinger Z version. I'll get that one instead of the HG 😋 The Mazinkaiser was a rather easy build, it just took forever because I decided last minute to paint it all instead of just the gold bits.

Next kit will be the MG Psycho Zaku, which will just be a straight assembly. There's enough decals for that thing that any extra work would be masochistic!

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
The HG Mazinger is in the backlog. The 1/60 is probably too much for me. I should tackle the Mechanic Collection that is in the backlog as well before I build the HG since it's a much simpler affair.
The Mazinkaiser looks really good and suitably imposing.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question. Anyone have experience with Hobby Link Japan? Despite the $10 shipping & no tracking, it seems they're a better deal compared to Amazon for some of the kits I've been eyeing.

Also, I guess to ensure I don't get confused, what's a good way to know when a kit will require cement glue and/or painting, aside from sites mentioning it like Gundam Planet? Most of what I'm looking at is Kotobukiya, which don't seem to need it aside from adding some small details.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I've used Hobby Link Japan many times and I've never had any problem other than their shopping cart buckling under the pressure of last Black Friday sale start when lots of people were using it simultaneously.
Most of my parcels from them have been untracked and they were always fine.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Me too, until they announced the 1/60 Mazinger Z version. I'll get that one instead of the HG 😋 The Mazinkaiser was a rather easy build, it just took forever because I decided last minute to paint it all instead of just the gold bits.

Next kit will be the MG Psycho Zaku, which will just be a straight assembly. There's enough decals for that thing that any extra work would be masochistic!
I mean I don't have the budget for pg, but the real question is which hg should I go for the 2001 classic Mazinger Z, 2009 Shin Mazinger Z with God Scrander or infinity

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I've used Hobby Link Japan many times and I've never had any problem other than their shopping cart buckling under the pressure of last Black Friday sale start when lots of people were using it simultaneously.
Most of my parcels from them have been untracked and they were always fine.
Cool, glad to know they're reliable. I saw they were mentioned in the OP but just wanted to make sure. On top of having the most that I want next to Amazon (though I can build up gift cards to help make it cheaper), helps I can wishlist stuff so I don't gotta keep all these Chrome tabs open on my phone.

Just as I think about getting the Charge Shot version of MMX, I see a Max Armor version just came out AND Zero is coming out in June.

Unraveled

Dec 15, 2019
I mean I don't have the budget for pg, but the real question is which hg should I go for the 2001 classic Mazinger Z, 2009 Shin Mazinger Z with God Scrander or infinity

Well, I don't think the 1/60 Mazinger is a PG. At least it's not being advertised as such. Assuming Bluefin releases it here, I'm hoping it's $125 - $150
...which wouldn't be bad.

For the kit(s) you're considering, me personally, I'd go for the Shin Mazinger if you're after the more classic look. I mean, come on, it turns into a fist! The infinity if you want a more recent mold with probably better engineering.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It does what now?

I've never seen Mazinger but that sounds cool as hell.
Yeah it's his finisher from Shin Mazinger Z if I remember right(still need to watch it), it's partly because of his new jet pack God Scrander. Then it's also from a show where he's fighting his universe's version of the Greek Gods(who were the inspiration for Mazinger Z in the first place. Mycanae and the myth of Talos, that's been part of the mythos since day 1)

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely plan to watch Mazinger, then. Sounds interesting. What do you guys recommend as a starting point? The OG or Shin?

Gunpla related, got the main body of PG Exia finished. Still gotta do the rest of the weapons but here's some pics.

xLUQac2.jpg

LupTJf6.jpg

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Looks really good. I love how sharp modern PG look in general.
Now, the question is: do you have the display space for it? 😲 Big kits can be problematic to fit in the regular shelf.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'll definitely plan to watch Mazinger, then. Sounds interesting. What do you guys recommend as a starting point? The OG or Shin?

Gunpla related, got the main body of PG Exia finished. Still gotta do the rest of the weapons but here's some pics.

xLUQac2.jpg

LupTJf6.jpg
Well first off it goes Mazinger Z -> Great Mazinger -> Shin Mazinger(continuation of sorts)/Mazinkaizer(what if that takes place during great, the mech was actually created for super robot wars then got an ova to officially add it to Mazinger Z universe)

problem with classic Mazinger Z is you have an old sub, the lost(and incomplete) but accurate (and awesome)Hawaiian dub that I believe was done by the actual Japanese voice cast.... or the localization Transdor Z(not recommended).
not sure of the status of great Mazinger.
Honestly your best option is to read up on Mazinger Z/great so you know the origin and the core team then well shin is modern and basically kicks off its own story arc and the opening is the final battle of the original stories. The dub isn't bad

also for fun here's the opening of the original show from the Toei hawaii dub(it's why robot spirits has an English version, pretty sure they did the Z theme back in the day too)

TLDR; read up on Koji and friends then probably just jump into shin. I'd say read the manga but it never got officially localized

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks really good. I love how sharp modern PG look in general.
Now, the question is: do you have the display space for it? 😲 Big kits can be problematic to fit in the regular shelf.

Yeah I've got one of those turning dvd storage towers in my living room that my PG Unicorn has been sitting on (same thing I keep my Gundam blurays in). Exia will go there go there, Unicorn will get shuffled to on top of the bookcase where my Criterion Collection Godzilla Showa set is, and that will get moved down a few shelves in the same bookcase.

EDIT: Finished at last. Am I the only one who thought the GN Sword was a bitch to equip? Maybe it was just me.

dTWx49i.jpg

nQ1TX4v.jpg

E62xMwC.jpg

Leaving it in that last pose.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Wow never bothered to wash my 1/100 humans because I figured it wasn't worth it at such a small thing until I saw this video

Playing around and testing some on my Gundam crew
P2qgRGY.jpg

and yeah, glad I saw that video.
With that and my new 0000 brushes definitely looking forward to making new ones and touching up old ones
just need to keep practicing

Last edited:

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
After something like an year, I decided to try the matte finish (on a random Haro I had around); if I saw some "droplets" on the model, what did I do wrong? Did I not shake the can enough? Was I too close? Did I just spray too much so it accumulated on top?
The final effect seems to be very nice, though it feels weird to the touch.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'll have to be more careful next time! I have also read that it might have been because I sprayed it from too close. Still, the end result is fine as far as I can tell. Now I only have to decide on which kits to actually topcoat (probably none of the ones I have finished already).

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
Headed to Japan if this coronavirus stuff doesn't get in the way (fingers crossed!) in May. Looking to pick up some of the harder to find P-Bandai or Gundam Base Limited / Ichiban Kuji items. Where would you suggest looking for them, outside of Mandarake and Surugaya?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Headed to Japan if this coronavirus stuff doesn't get in the way (fingers crossed!) in May. Looking to pick up some of the harder to find P-Bandai or Gundam Base Limited / Ichiban Kuji items. Where would you suggest looking for them, outside of Mandarake and Surugaya?
When I was in Japan I had a lot of luck finding rare stuff at a gunpla store a couple of floors up at the OIOI Annex in Shinjuku. They also have a really good assortment of kits in general.
Google coordinates are: https://goo.gl/maps/GvqXfQ8UfRWZgGNAA

They had a bunch of P-Bandai stuff. I even managed to find HWS addon for Nu Gundam ver ka which otherwise was super difficult to find.
Also there was a store in Nakano Broadway with a lot of P-Bandai kits. I can't remember the name but if you're inside Nakano Broadway it's not difficult to find this shop. Just scour all the floors, there are like 3 floors with stores.

As a bonus, if you like Jojo there's the Jojo bar just outside Nakano Broadway.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the dp, I just wanted to share the RG pilots I finally decided to paint! Here they are:
8jtMJBW.jpg

Nice work! I have some primed pilot figures sitting around waiting for me to find the motivation to paint.

Yeah I've got one of those turning dvd storage towers in my living room that my PG Unicorn has been sitting on (same thing I keep my Gundam blurays in). Exia will go there go there, Unicorn will get shuffled to on top of the bookcase where my Criterion Collection Godzilla Showa set is, and that will get moved down a few shelves in the same bookcase.

EDIT: Finished at last. Am I the only one who thought the GN Sword was a bitch to equip? Maybe it was just me.

dTWx49i.jpg

nQ1TX4v.jpg

E62xMwC.jpg

Leaving it in that last pose.

Is this a straight OOB build? It looks so good.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Depending how long you are there/what you're looking for you can buy directly from P-Bandai and have it delivered to the hotel or near by convenience store. It's hard to recommend a single place but many, MANY shops in places like Akihabara have just a mountain of random goods including gundam kits. It's worth poking your head in and looking if you see a store has kits if your hunting particular ones. A random airsoft gunshop also had a MG Heavy Arms EW on sale so you never know lol.

Did I not shake the can enough? Was I too close? Did I just spray too much so it accumulated on top?

All three maybe haha. Like xEik said, its meant for several light coats until you get the look you want. Most likely though you were too close and did too much in one go. A light spray, wait 15~30 minutes depending how well it dried and do more til its even.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Nice work! I have some primed pilot figures sitting around waiting for me to find the motivation to paint.
It's a pretty fun activity, it would be even better if the details were more noticeable. I was quite surprised as to how easy it was to paint them without having primed them.
All three maybe haha. Like xEik said, its meant for several light coats until you get the look you want. Most likely though you were too close and did too much in one go. A light spray, wait 15~30 minutes depending how well it dried and do more til its even.
Yeah, I knew about doing multiple light coats, I just needed some experience to see how light it should have been. I know what to do for next time, at least!

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I knew about doing multiple light coats, I just needed some experience to see how light it should have been. I know what to do for next time, at least!

Should also mention you can of course dab/wipe up excess if you catch it fast enough. Top coat is pretty fast acting even with the 30ish minute recommended drying time, but if you spray too much a cotton swab/tissue dab works wonders. I almost always end up having to do this thanks to some weirdly big or longer than I thought parts while rotating and spraying lol.

Anywho.

Been wanting to try one of these Virtual On model kits, anyone made one? Particularly looking for Apharmd if one exists.
latest

I've seen Raiden in a few shops as well that I want. And a lot of that weird samurai themed one that no one wants apperently haha.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Should also mention you can of course dab/wipe up excess if you catch it fast enough. Top coat is pretty fast acting even with the 30ish minute recommended drying time, but if you spray too much a cotton swab/tissue dab works wonders. I almost always end up having to do this thanks to some weirdly big or longer than I thought parts while rotating and spraying lol.

Anywho.

Been wanting to try one of these Virtual On model kits, anyone made one? Particularly looking for Apharmd if one exists.
latest

I've seen Raiden in a few shops as well that I want. And a lot of that weird samurai themed one that no one wants apperently haha.
There are, indeed, Apharmd kits from Hasegawa. I don't know if there are old Kotobukiya ones.
Three of them (I have another one not pictured here) are in the backlog but I haven't built any Virtual On kit yet. :S

DpYctG0WkAEN4Ev

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I just received the HGUC Narrative Gundam A Equipment (the one with four boosters and large grappling cannons) and, oh boy, this box is huge. As big as a lot of Master Grades and bigger than the smallest MGs. I don't think I would have gotten it if I hadn't been grouping a bunch of large kits and this happened to be available at a nice price.

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
ah so a fancier/more expensive version?
Yeah Grade refers to detail and scale. High grade is generally the smallest and simplest of standard scales(usually 1/144. SD can be smaller but it doesn't use traditional scale), RG is generally 1/144 but then has the detail level of master grade, Master grade is higher detail(including the actual internal skeleton of the suit) at 1/100 scale. Perfect grade is the largest scale at 1/60(I think, could be misremembering). There can be bigger and smaller but they aren't in fixed scales

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Yeah Grade refers to detail and scale. High grade is generally the smallest and simplest of standard scales(usually 1/144. SD can be smaller but it doesn't use traditional scale), RG is generally 1/144 but then has the detail level of master grade, Master grade is higher detail(including the actual internal skeleton of the suit) at 1/100 scale. Perfect grade is the largest scale at 1/60(I think, could be misremembering). There can be bigger and smaller but they aren't in fixed scales
oh that's fascinating, thank you!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
oh that's fascinating, thank you!
Oh and HG also has the highest number of available suits with MG being second variety wise. RG is a newer line and PG is limited by its nature, very few shops outside of Japan carry them
And yeah the pricing scale should be obvious here. Non Gundam lines can be a touch more complicated

Edit: say btw guys I've been wondering which is better the hg or mg turn a gundam?

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
BB Senshi RX-75-4 Guntank

I find myself only ever building SD kits of mobile suits I've already built in regular proportions.

ERXkB6cXkAAtATk

ERXkDC2X0AAMU01

And now, "Don't talk to me or my son ever again" pictures.

ERXkEcTWsAA6X15

ERXkFBnXsAA2ii8