• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
There are, indeed, Apharmd kits from Hasegawa. I don't know if there are old Kotobukiya ones.
Three of them (I have another one not pictured here) are in the backlog but I haven't built any Virtual On kit yet. :S

DpYctG0WkAEN4Ev

Oooo good to know, I had no idea Hasagawa made them. Will have to look for one while shopping or amazon it. There doesn't seem to be much info on these weirdly.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Oooo good to know, I had no idea Hasagawa made them. Will have to look for one while shopping or amazon it. There doesn't seem to be much info on these weirdly.
The Hasegawa kits are mostly regular and limited editions of the following Virtuaroids from Force and Marz:
  • Temjin
  • Fei-Yen
  • Apharmd
  • Myzr
  • Guarayakha
  • Kagekiyo
The limited editions usually represent player 2, 3 or 4 colours with different weapons than the regular one.
The one in the image you posted looks like it's available as the Apharmd T type F.
Be warned, none of the Apharmd kits have camo pants out of the box. The Fei-Yen kits come with huge waterslide sheets for the maid stripes and the Temjin as well for all the detail colours but Apharmd comes with very few waterslides.

The Virtuaroid designs from previous games are used in the older Kotobukiya kits e.g. Raiden.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So, I finished the MG Ver.Ka ZZ and the MG Phenex.

Quick review of the two.

ZZ is fantastic in every way really, unless you don't like chunky suits. And then there is the matter of the waterslides.... I gave up after about 30 or so applied and a couple breaking on me.

Whenever I do another waterslide monster I'll probably apply them during the building process.

8VR4D3l.jpg

The MG Phenex is a stunning looking kit, but is held up by the fact that it's based on an older kit.

There is absolutely zero undergating so you will get lots of, and large, nubmarks. Thankfully a golden Gundam Marker covers them up decently, otherwise it looks like someone splashed white paint on the kit.
I did not bother with the waterslides on this kit because they seemed unnecessary in Destroy Mode.

The waist is rather floppy because of the transformation so it's difficult to pose.

i7ldykD.jpg

7g0sH3O.jpg

Now I've started on a 1/1700 scale Argama with zero experience in painting kits. I'll mostly see it as a fun learning experience :)

And to be honest, I looked into my PG Strike Freedom box and started breaking into cold sweat :p

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
PG is limited by its nature, very few shops outside of Japan carry them
Is this really the case? My local hobby shop has one or two way on the top shelf, and they only carry like 5 MGs. I assumed stores that do Gunpla usually carried at least one.
Also, I've only heard good things about the MG Turn A. (It also just seems like a design that wouldn't do well at a smaller scale)

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Is this really the case? My local hobby shop has one or two way on the top shelf, and they only carry like 5 MGs. I assumed stores that do Gunpla usually carried at least one.
Also, I've only heard good things about the MG Turn A. (It also just seems like a design that wouldn't do well at a smaller scale)
MG Turn A is great for sure.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I just meant like Barnes and noble doesn't carry them

also good to know on the turn a. Still need to watch that

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
About done with Kotobukiya's MMX & I've noticed some parts are very tight/not wanting to fit completely together. Is that just how they're suppose to be or am I doing something wrong? I'm 3 hours in & ensuring I'm following the directions. Like, the buster pieces aren't staying "shut" & there's a little gap still showing because the two don't want to be any closer.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
About done with Kotobukiya's MMX & I've noticed some parts are very tight/not wanting to fit completely together. Is that just how they're suppose to be or am I doing something wrong? I'm 3 hours in & ensuring I'm following the directions. Like, the buster pieces aren't staying "shut" & there's a little gap still showing because the two don't want to be any closer.
I don't know if this is common for your kit, but generally I've experienced that older Kotobukiya kits and other kits not made by Bandai may have some worse fitting parts.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is common for your kit, but generally I've experienced that older Kotobukiya kits and other kits not made by Bandai may have some worse fitting parts.
Based on their site, it came out last September, so it's fairly new. I tried filing some of the holes to make them bigger, which sorta worked, but for like the shoulder pads, it's hard to do because of how small the holes/pegs are. Plus I think it's more the issue of the holes not being deep enough to fit the entire peg.

I keep fearing if I try applying too much pressure, something's gonna break despite the fact it probably won't.

Edit: FIVE HOURS LATER & it's done. Yeah, I'm....not all that pleased with how fragile the complete figure is & some of the pieces having some gaps due to not fully fitting together. I barely wanna pose it due to fear of breaking a limb off & having to put it back together via unassembing part of it. It still looks cool, but I don't know if I wanna go for the Max Armor version if I'm gonna struggle with getting some pieces together & fear of breaking something that's a pain to fix. But I guess as my 2nd model kit, it could partly be me.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Always reminds me of how awesome Bandai kits tend to be. They really got their process down for the most part.

Was/need to finish my Banshee and Altron, but man, I randomly thought about the Silver Bullet Suppressor today... I want it... and wanna paint it grey, metalic, and purple.... why do I always get ideas for custom colors when I'm ready to finish a kit I've had for 9 months.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to go for either MG Qan[T] Full Saber or MG Dynames next. Whenever I can get the fire going again. PG Exia took a lot out of me.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I'm looking to go for either MG Qan[T] Full Saber or MG Dynames next. Whenever I can get the fire going again. PG Exia took a lot out of me.
While I haven't built a PG yet, I somehow know the feeling. Big builds like the MG The O or MG Hi-Nu left me without the will to tackle anything of that caliber anytime soon. It's then that I try to build something like an SD which is the lowest commitment one may make in gunpla.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks. Looking at grabbing a new airbrush to replace my NEO, either the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS or the Harder and Steenbeck Evolution CR Plus.

Anyone use either of these and have any thoughts on the choice?

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks. Looking at grabbing a new airbrush to replace my NEO, either the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS or the Harder and Steenbeck Evolution CR Plus.

Anyone use either of these and have any thoughts on the choice?
I have an H&S Evolution and I think it's great. It's the only airbrush I own though, so I don't have anything else to compare it with. It feels like a quality brush, it sprays nicely and it's very easy to take apart and clean (the nozzle just falls out by itself, unlike the screw-in design of the NEO). The nozzle and needle are also the exact same as in the more high-end Infinity, so they should be pretty great I guess. I'd recommend getting the 0.4mm model for general use. I got the 2in1 model (comes with a 0.2 and a 0.4mm needle/nozzle) and the 0.4mm one is much easier to work with.

From everything I hear online, the Eclipse should be great as well. Don's airbrush tips has comprehensive reviews for both if you want a more in-depth review:
sites.google.com

Don's Airbrush Tips - Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Solo Review

6/2012 I got an e-mail from Anke Matthiessen, the Director of the North American Division of Harder & Steenbeck. She said she had seen my site and wondered if I would like to review an Evolution airbrush. Heck Yeah!! I wasted no time sending her my address. A few days later it was in my
sites.google.com

Don's Airbrush Tips - Iwata Eclipse HP-CS Review

6/2012 The Iwata Eclipse is a super popular airbrush with both modelers and artists, and the HP-CS is probably the most popular version. Thanks to Gary Glass, the president of Anest Iwata-Medea, I have a sample for review.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
I have an H&S Evolution and I think it's great. It's the only airbrush I own though, so I don't have anything else to compare it with. It feels like a quality brush, it sprays nicely and it's very easy to take apart and clean (the nozzle just falls out by itself, unlike the screw-in design of the NEO). The nozzle and needle are also the exact same as in the more high-end Infinity, so they should be pretty great I guess. I'd recommend getting the 0.4mm model for general use. I got the 2in1 model (comes with a 0.2 and a 0.4mm needle/nozzle) and the 0.4mm one is much easier to work with.

From everything I hear online, the Eclipse should be great as well. Don's airbrush tips has comprehensive reviews for both if you want a more in-depth review:
sites.google.com

Don's Airbrush Tips - Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Solo Review

6/2012 I got an e-mail from Anke Matthiessen, the Director of the North American Division of Harder & Steenbeck. She said she had seen my site and wondered if I would like to review an Evolution airbrush. Heck Yeah!! I wasted no time sending her my address. A few days later it was in my
sites.google.com

Don's Airbrush Tips - Iwata Eclipse HP-CS Review

6/2012 The Iwata Eclipse is a super popular airbrush with both modelers and artists, and the HP-CS is probably the most popular version. Thanks to Gary Glass, the president of Anest Iwata-Medea, I have a sample for review.
Thanks dude! Went with the Evo CR Plus 2 in 1, 2 and 4mm nozzles. Probably switch out to the 4mm once it arrives, but useful to have the smaller nozzle for detail work on larger kits.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
In the right conditions the kit looks kinda cool.
kyPEYxT.png
Some of you may remember my earlier attempts to make this old kit look decent; besides the wings that I painted myself, quite poorly I might add, most of everything else that's not white is just stickers.

Since I have been having some success with painting miniatures, I thought I could go back and improve it somewhat.
This is how everything looked before (notice the unsuccessful attempt on the wings):
NBURpxc.jpg

And here's the final result, after today's work:
B5U0xfq.jpg

It might not look significantly different at a glance. Besides the wings, all the stickers are now in the trash (where they belong, I guess), and every coloured part is painted instead.

Here's the kit back in its rightful place, perched on top of a shelf:
2OxaFMx.jpg

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
The new RG Eva Unit-01 is up on Amazon. Both DX & regular versions. I'd get the DX but, have no plan to display it on the transport, so regular it is.

RG Eva DX
RG Eva

Pre-ordered the regular version. $52 shipped with Prime is about what it comes out to with shipping from other sites. Kind of crazy that I can just pre-order the latest and greatest gunpla model on Amazon for basically MSRP + shipping.

Unraveled

Dec 15, 2019
Pre-ordered the regular version. $52 shipped with Prime is about what it comes out to with shipping from other sites. Kind of crazy that I can just pre-order the latest and greatest gunpla model on Amazon for basically MSRP + shipping.

Yep, plus with amazon there's always the chance that the price will drop before the release date. I'm hoping the 1/60 Mazinger shows up at some point...

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new RG Eva Unit-01 is up on Amazon. Both DX & regular versions. I'd get the DX but, have no plan to display it on the transport, so regular it is.

RG Eva DX
RG Eva

Late on this but thanks for the heads up. Got the DX version pre-ordered.

Doesn't the DX also come with an AT Field effect part? I see it mentioned but no images of it.

Last edited:

Unraveled

Dec 15, 2019
Late on this but thanks for the heads up. Got the DX version pre-ordered.

Doesn't the DX also come with an AT Field effect part? I see it mentioned but no images of it.

Anytime, I know I like it when people post links to items I'm interested in...so I figured I'd do the same.

I've seen that in the description but, have yet to find any pics of it. You may just have to wait until the DX gets released and others post pictures of the AT Field accessory. It might be similar to the one that was included in an older HG kit.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
When does the HG Marchosias release? Some websites list it for March and others for April but none of them have a specific date.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Been wanting the new IBO kit too, im not sold on its design or look but its oddly appealing.

Also I should make a Zaku at some point. Is there a recommended one? Been thinking the Origins version.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm thinking with my tax return it's time to add something to my backlog. Question is hg Mazinger Z Shin with God Scrander for that classic look or Infinity as a more modern kit. Anyone have both and want to chime in? Also have to decide on the turn a

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just realized I never posted this guy who I finished a few weeks back(the altron).
4H3nQAE.jpg

QkLAv54.jpg

ZPpKSqz.jpg

Did some panel lining but that it's. Mine is getting pretty thrashed I need to order some more soon(would like to get a set of 3 of different shades. Not at the point to do anything fancy).

Have time so I think I'll break something out of the backlog in the next day or two. Have to decide between Hg Burning Gundam, hg love Phantom, Poes Boosted xwing fighter, RG Tallgeese III(my first rg) or MG00 Qan[T] full saber.

Did decently on my tax return so it's time to add some stuff to the backlog. SDCS GaoGaiGar and Hg Death army grunt are definitely on my list. Still deciding on MG Turn A Gundam but I definitely want to add another mg to my backlog
Leaning towards HG Shin Mazinger Z over infinity... although I wish I had the painting skills to do something really cool although I suppose a kit that has 3 primary colors wouldn't be too bad but I'd need advice... I wonder if I could get away with using this old paint kit of mine, I think I actually have the right colors
h1Y9zsc.jpg

I got it for a dungeon crawler but discovered I wasn't up to painting tiny minis. I even have a can of primer if need be... well it might not be a type that'd work for this. Anyone have a good guide?(well and I suppose I'd prefer not to use the spray paint primer). But Shin Mazinger Z has a simple enough design I might be able to pull it off. Thoughts?
Edit: although obviously I'd order a proper matte finish to use, don't want to screw that up... although what'd be really cool is to find a guide on how to do a wash to make it look cel shaded

Last edited:

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Haven't posted here for a while.

Here is my latest completed kit.
imgur.com

Dynames

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

U58qa3Z.jpg

muaKY8U.jpg
OzRUz4A.jpg
Very nice! It's definitely on my to-buy list.

I've actually started on my PG Strike Freedom and it sure is BIG. I just finished the lower body and it's the size of a MG. Obviously I knew that would be the case, 1/60 vs 1/100 but it's one thing to know and another to see it in person. I work every day until Monday now so probably wont have that much progress until then.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Same for me with the Dynames, but really waiting for that Kyrios!

Decided my next kit will be the 08th MS Team Ground Type Gundam. I make a lot of grunts and weird kits some want something a bit more mainline I guess haha. I also tried looking at my RG Banshee that is still unfinished after like a year. It's not been a hard kit to make but its just exhausting to look at haha. I'll finish it someday but I keep adding other kits on top of it instead.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well did my refund backlog order, got HG death army, SdCS Gaogaigar, MG Turn A and Hg Shin Mazinger with God Scrander on the way. Seriously considering painting the last one but still need advice if the paint kit I have that I mentioned in a previous post would work
Just realized I never posted this guy who I finished a few weeks back(the altron).
4H3nQAE.jpg

QkLAv54.jpg

ZPpKSqz.jpg

Did some panel lining but that it's. Mine is getting pretty thrashed I need to order some more soon(would like to get a set of 3 of different shades. Not at the point to do anything fancy).

Have time so I think I'll break something out of the backlog in the next day or two. Have to decide between Hg Burning Gundam, hg love Phantom, Poes Boosted xwing fighter, RG Tallgeese III(my first rg) or MG00 Qan[T] full saber.

Did decently on my tax return so it's time to add some stuff to the backlog. SDCS GaoGaiGar and Hg Death army grunt are definitely on my list. Still deciding on MG Turn A Gundam but I definitely want to add another mg to my backlog
Leaning towards HG Shin Mazinger Z over infinity... although I wish I had the painting skills to do something really cool although I suppose a kit that has 3 primary colors wouldn't be too bad but I'd need advice... I wonder if I could get away with using this old paint kit of mine, I think I actually have the right colors
h1Y9zsc.jpg

I got it for a dungeon crawler but discovered I wasn't up to painting tiny minis. I even have a can of primer if need be... well it might not be a type that'd work for this. Anyone have a good guide?(well and I suppose I'd prefer not to use the spray paint primer). But Shin Mazinger Z has a simple enough design I might be able to pull it off. Thoughts?
Edit: although obviously I'd order a proper matte finish to use, don't want to screw that up... although what'd be really cool is to find a guide on how to do a wash to make it look cel shaded

Also that's it for purchases for now although both Nobel Gundam and figurerise Haro are on my to get list

Also will take pics of my backlog when it all gets in. May build something before then tho

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Very nice! It's definitely on my to-buy list.

I've actually started on my PG Strike Freedom and it sure is BIG. I just finished the lower body and it's the size of a MG. Obviously I knew that would be the case, 1/60 vs 1/100 but it's one thing to know and another to see it in person. I work every day until Monday now so probably wont have that much progress until then.

Yeah it's a great kit😋 First time dealing with holographic parts so that was interestin.

I might end up getting the PG Strike Freedom as my first PG eventually so it'll be good to hear more about it.

Unraveled

Dec 15, 2019
Well did my refund backlog order, got HG death army, SdCS Gaogaigar, MG Turn A and Hg Shin Mazinger with God Scrander on the way. Seriously considering painting the last one but still need advice if the paint kit I have that I mentioned in a previous post would work

Also that's it for purchases for now although both Nobel Gundam and figurerise Haro are on my to get list

Also will take pics of my backlog when it all gets in. May build something before then tho

I'm terrible with brush painting so, I can't offer any advice regarding that. Using spray paint is really easy though and you shouldn't let it intimidate you. If you feel up to it and have the money, I'd start there and more often than not you'll achieve better results for larger areas on kits. Brushes are generally better for much smaller areas requiring more attention to detail and not the shotgun approach of rattle cans. Masking tape can help in some regard with that, though either way will probably require a lot of patience to do justice to what you want to accomplish.

All you need is some fine primer (I use Tamiya brand) and colors of your choice. Tamiya have a decent range of colors too. For colors I want that Tamiya doesn't make, I actually use Duplicolor Color Match paint meant for cars :p. Practice on plastic spoons if you don't want to start cold on a kit.

The Mazinkaiser I posted is 100% spray painted and the red and blue are Duplicolor paints. Silver, Gold, Metallic Black and Smoke paints are Tamiya. That's all I've got! Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They went with the usual RG-style box, but man the Eva looks good on it.

49646609142_51df340d90_o.jpg

49646326906_a9d5099271_o.jpg

Also finally found a product image of the AT Field that comes with the DX set

hs25Ogi.jpg

Last edited:

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
98xNV8m.png

I was really into Gundam for a bit, but I think now I'm going to order some Hexa Gear kits. This little guy is small and simple but very cool looking imo. I just ordered the Bandit Wheel and I'll be pretty pleased if I can get him looking near this cool.

lkJjdHM.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
98xNV8m.png

I was really into Gundam for a bit, but I think now I'm going to order some Hexa Gear kits. This little guy is small and simple but very cool looking imo. I just ordered the Bandit Wheel and I'll be pretty pleased if I can get him looking near this cool.

lkJjdHM.jpg
Ah darn it keep meaning to check out this line but I already put in my current backlog order before remembering and the higher price point(I mainly do HG) is making me wait again. Problem is to make Things really interesting is you need a governed then two of the bigger kits if you really want to mash things together, and I don't have a ton of income right now

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What Brush should I use for Small Detail?
I use a cheap 3/0 brush for tiny details and a 5/0 one for really tiny details.

Those work well enough. The only problem is that they can only carry a small amount of paint. With acrylics, this means the paint dries on the brush pretty quickly. I've seen some people recommend getting a larger high-quality brush that can still be shaped into a really fine point as an alternative but the paint drying thing never bothered me much.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any idea how one might go about doing panel lines that are this thin and clean on such small figures? My gundam marker would leave big, fat lines and would stain the soft plastic if I wipe it away. See the legs on the white figure:

7bKoNHL.jpg

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a pin wash. Essentially you use highly diluted paint/ink, dab a bit on panel lines and recessed details and let the capillary action of the line draw it along. Usually done over a gloss coat as it flows nicely and lets you clean the excess easily.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Does anyone have any idea how one might go about doing panel lines that are this thin and clean on such small figures? My gundam marker would leave big, fat lines and would stain the soft plastic if I wipe it away. See the legs on the white figure:

7bKoNHL.jpg
Go over the intended panel line with your hobby knife.
Use the type of Gundam marker called "pour type" that has a big hard tip but contains runny ink similar to a wash. They come in different colours like black or grey.
Clean excess ink and see how the lines drawn with the hobby knife are still marked.
Try it on the runner for practice to get a good result.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Trying to weather/battle damage for the first time on an Ez-8 I grabbed since the Ground Type I wanted was sold out. It's pretty uneven so far but I'm having fun with it. I usually like the idea of my kits having the "fresh off the factory floor" look but we'll see how this turns out.