• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's anime. They clearly learned that anime sells, my dude.

I think the game loosks pretty good, but Im a little disappointed in the, let's say, over reliance on the thigh gap.

It is what it is though, the other policewoman has an outfit that makes sense at the very least.

It's only bad because it's ANIME, and people are afraid they'll get made fun of for playing it.

Well...let's see if this game has a weird creepy streak running through it first. Platinum has proven time and time again that they can roll around in ANIME(tm) and not spend all of it's time covering it's face in objectification and sexualization.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should be noted the guy who did Wingman and Zetman (both popular manga series in Japan, both in which recieved anime adaptations during their life) is responsible for the design works. So obviously it's going to look very anime.

Also, something to consider: Anime can look like just about anything, including very cartoonish designs and stuff. I remember One Piece used to be criticized because it was too cartoonish in design (plus they also, in earlier years, for the anime adaptation, used a lot of western sound effects).

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I think the game look pretty good, but I a little disappointed in the, let's say, over reliance, on the thigh gap.

It is what it is though, the other policewoman has an outfit that makes sense at the very least.

Well...let's see if this game has a weird creepy streak running through it first. Platinum has proven time and time again that they can roll around in ANIME(tm) and not spend all of it's time covering it's face in objectification and sexualization.

Yeah wish we could get away from the female characters exclusively having sexualised outfits. It's like they always design male characters to look cool and for female characters to look cute or sexy. That's dumb! Women can be cool too.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah wish we could get away from the female characters exclusively having sexualised outfits. It's like they always design male characters to look cool and for female characters to look cute or sexy. That's dumb! Women can be cool too.

Yeah, it certainly wouldn't have been my decision to give the main female protagonist in my video game about anime cops in a blade runner city booty shorts and thigh highs.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
one day this forum will learn that "it's anime" is not a sentence that makes any sense

Not sure if this is a response to my post but when I say "anime" in this context I just mean the art style is clearly anime-styled. There's a lot of varying anime art styles but they share enough similarities to be grouped together.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is a response to my post but when I say "anime" in this context I just mean the art style is clearly anime-styled. There's a lot of varying anime art styles but they share enough similarities to be grouped together.

it's not directed to you
but "anime-style" is not a thing that makes sense either

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
So are there different artstyles that get differentiated in anime? Is there any page where I could read up on this?
Like in any other medium, there are as many art styles as there are artists. Something like Akira Toriyama's art style seen in Dragonball or Dragon Quest is totally different from Naoko Takeuchi's art style in Sailor Moon, or Kentaro Miura's style seen in Betserk, to name a few iconic artists. All three have very little in common. That is why it is fairly easy to see when individuals have worked on certain anime, such as Obari's distinctive touch on any mecha show.

Like any other country, Japan's cultural output is just a collection of individual styles, not some standardized hivemind.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are there different artstyles that get differentiated in anime? Is there any page where I could read up on this?

Watch this short video:

Then this one:

And finally another short one:

Those three trailers show completely different artstyles, realisation, cuts, flow and movement. Yet all three are just what people call "anime". It shows that animation can cover a very wide range of visuals and it doesn't make sense to call an art direction "anime-like", because it's just too wide.

Those artstyles don't have labels as any anime show has his own interpretation and art style.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Sort of off topic and following the derailment...Isn't Anime, Japanese animation. Not a style or art movement per say. Other cultures appropriate it and call it anime or am I off base or misunderstanding it?

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Joseki TwinBahamut so I guess, to break it down into something I understand better: like with live action movies there are different tonal styles, genres etc much like a French and a British movie can both be a comedy but still differ vastly in HOW it is a comedy but also differences between the original manga authors (much like different directors) and then basically also different eras I guess that also had an influece on the art shown.
I hope I got this right lol. The thing for me is that Astrail Chain has a very cool visual style while on the other hand something like Tales of Vesperia is totally non-descript in my opinion, yet both have a certain aesthetic that makes me think of anime.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Watch this short video:

Then this one:

Those three trailers show completely different artstyles, realisation, cuts, flow and movement. Yet all three are just what people call "anime". It shows that animation can cover a very wide range of visuals and it doesn't make sense to call an art direction "anime-like", because it's just too wide.

Those artstyles don't have labels as any anime show has his own interpretation and art style.

All three art styles share traits that would label them "anime" though.
I don't know how it's hard to understand.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Watch this short video:

Then this one:

Ermm, I legit forgot Vinland saga got an anime by Wit Studio, holy shit that trailer and soundtrack is amazing lol.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Platinum has enough resources to simultaneously handle 3 Switch games on top of their other projects.

Unless it's a Wonderful 101 port, which requires less people to complete. At most a smaller scale eshop game.

I suppose it depends on what the resources from Scalebound, Granblue, and their mobile games, are currently working on.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Sort of off topic and following the derailment...Isn't Anime, Japanese animation. Not a style or art movement per say. Other cultures appropriate it and call it anime or am I off base or misunderstanding it?
Pretty much, yeah. Anime is just shorthand for "animated works produced by Japanese companies" outside of Japan. In Japan itself it just means any animated show. Disney movies are anime to the Japanese public.

Joseki TwinBahamut so I guess, to break it down into something I understand better: like with live action movies there are different tonal styles, genres etc much like a French and a British movie can both be a comedy but still differ vastly in HOW it is a comedy but also differences between the original manga authors (much like different directors) and then basically also different eras I guess that also had an influece on the art shown.
I hope I got this right lol. The thing for me is that Astrail Chain has a very cool visual style while on the other hand something like Tales of Vesperia is totally non-descript in my opinion, yet both have a certain aesthetic that makes me think of anime.
Neither Astral Chain nor Tales of Vesperia are an anime, though. They're Japanese vidrogames with stylized art. They'd only be an anime if they were an animated TV show or movie. They are certainly not any more or less "anime" than things like Mario, Sonic, or Metal Gear Solid.

Far too often, the word "anime" just gets thrown around as a lazy way to mean "Japanese pop art," and that is not at all a good thing. Far too often this leads it to effectively be a racist dog whistle, allowing people to talk about Japanese art styles in a really prejudiced way that would be far more explicitly racist if they substituted the word "Japanese" for "anime."

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much, yeah. Anime is just shorthand for "animated works produced by Japanese companies" outside of Japan. In Japan itself it just means any animated show. Disney movies are anime to the Japanese public.

Neither Astral Chain nor Tales of Vesperia are an anime, though. They're Japanese vidrogames with stylized art. They'd only be an anime if they were an animated TV show or movie. They are certainly not any more or less "anime" than things like Mario, Sonic, or Metal Gear Solid.

Far too often, the word "anime" just gets thrown around as a lazy way to mean "Japanese pop art," and that is not at all a good thing. Far too often this leads it to effectively be a racist dog whistle, allowing people to talk about Japanese art styles in a really prejudiced way that would be far more explicitly racist if they substituted the word "Japanese" for "anime."
So I catch that it's apropriate to just stop using the word anime for anything that is not in fact anime (so animated show or movie) and instead try to be more nuanced in describing the actual visual style of the game.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In recent years the "anime" style in games tend to sexualize every character, but not in a mature way, more like horny teens would imagine such things. Even bigger games like Xenoblade 2 or the latest 3DS Fire Emblem games had included such trash.

Astral chain seems to be free from such infantil nonsense, that's already a good sign for the quality of the game.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I hope GameXplain (or someone) does a detailed analysis of the footage. Some neat mechanics on display.

Looks like your stand fighter isn't always out, but when it appears your character's hair turns blue. Sometimes you're just fighting by yourself as the guy cop or girl cop, but for certain moves the stand appears and dishes out damages or links together attacks with the protag.

Also looks like the blue chain that you carry at all times is both a weapon and a way to capture criminals in the hub world or briefly restrain aliens in combat (the latter pulled off in tandem with your stand).

And it looks like your -other- signature weapon is a police baton that can transform into a sword, or even a bow in cooperation with your stand.

The bow can be used to sever ropes and drop platforms into place, so there appears to be some light puzzling and pathfinding in between fights — a palate cleanser, if you would.

Likewise, it seems like there might be a sort of detective vision or future sight (the bit where the stuff falls from the sky and the guy runs toward the screen), and also some sleuthing with a dog stand sniffing out clues.

And it looks like the dog stand can be used in combat to run around, Okami-style, and that there's also a sidestep maneuver while riding the dog (see the bit where he jumps away from the billboard thrown by the boss monster).

And some observation on the enemies: the white one at the start appears to have a growth on its one arm resembling a shield, while later they show an orange one that appears to warp quickly around the battlefield.

*takes deep breath*

There's probably more to unearth in there, but that's what I can recall off the top of my head.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the two game are that connected, it seems an entirely different story but very likely we may see some cool reference/easter egg.
There's no reason for them to have a connection at all. And Nier is a Square Enix IP. If there's any reference it'll be a winking nod and not anything that suggests Astral Chain is set in the Nier universe.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the two game are that connected, it seems an entirely different story but very likely we may see some cool reference/easter egg.
I would say it's incredibly unlikely, if not completely unlikely. Not only in Nier an SE IP, but it's a Yoko Taro series. What you're saying is like expecting Star Fox references in Granblue Fantasy because Platinum developed Star Fox Zero

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I would say it's incredibly unlikely, if not completely unlikely. Not only in Nier an SE IP, but it's a Yoko Taro series. What you're saying is like expecting Star Fox references in Granblue Fantasy because Platinum developed Star Fox Zero

No i'm talking something small like the Zelda easter egg in A Way Out, something you don't necessarily have to own the IP to do it.