• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
This thread has been a long time coming, but I haven't been able to properly articulate my thoughts about Platinum. However, thanks to some friends kicking me to get it together, I'm able to finally make it happen.

Over the past several years, on this board and others, there's always been a common desire for people to have Platinum be involved with whatever game is currently being discussed. And each and every time I see people do that, I always have to ask myself "...why?"

Their track record has been real bad, and games pretty consistently underperform. Yet somehow, Platinum always gets a free pass. Whenever myself or anyone else has tried to bring up their failures (and there's a lot), it's usually the same thing.

Korra? Doesn't count.
TMNT? Doesn't count.
Mad World? Doesn't count.
Anarchy Reigns? Passion project.

But people will happily bring up Bayonetta constantly, about as many times as Al Bundy brings up his four touchdowns in a single game. And while I have nothing against Bayonetta (1 or 2), it gets tiring and a little suspect that it's one of the few series that ever consistently gets brought up. They've pretty much cornered the market when it comes to heavy reliance on dodge/reaction mechanics in the games they work on, which admittedly is fun in those games but gets old quick. And if I can continue to be blunt here, it says volumes that Platinum's biggest success is a game that they barely had anything to do with (Nier Automata).

In the end, I'm not saying people shouldn't enjoy a game just because of what *I'm* saying. People play games that I think are bad all the time (games like Final Fantasy 4, Street Fighter 3rd Strike, Sonic 06, and other similar games). But I do think that the deification of Platinum is pretty unhealthy, and maybe it's time people start to look inward to see that not everything that glimmers is platinum.

godhand still sucks though

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty clear that there is two tiers of platinum output. But when people speak of platinum, they ignore tier 2 and focus on the amazing stuff they do put out. When platinum flexes, they really shine.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
IIRC Korra did alright, Mad World was a critical darling on Wii, and Anarchy Reigns was admittedly a bit of a cult classic. TMNT is like the only game you listed that both bombed and had a poor critical reception?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
First off, calling Mad World a failure hurts. I know it didn't light the charts up but it's still fun as hell.

Second, you never even mentioned Revengeance as a point in their favor.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The first Platinum game I played was MadWorld. It had great style and commentary. The gameplay was a chore.

Bayonetta's fantastic though.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Is that wrong? It just means people really loved the good ones that they tend to forget the flukes. But even their flukes are just forgettable games, not something that's a total crap.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scalebound would also not have counted, or maybe it would have been ruined by Bill gates or something

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I have no particular affection for Platinum but in what universe are Madworld and Anarchy Reigns bad games? Madworld didn't even sell poorly.

TMNT sucked, Korra's dishwater, Starfox is the only one I'd genuinely say isn't their fault because they were handed a crappy template and told to fill it in.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
Platinum is generally associated with more good games than bad hence the cult of personality. The legacy of Clover helps as well.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Platinum put out some of the best games to ever exist. So what they need to dump out a license game to keep the lights on.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Why do you have a beef with Platinum, professor?

So what if only four or five of their sixteen games are worth talking about? I will still cherish them, because Hideki Kamiya is really rude to people on Twitter in a funny way, which I've decided is okay because he's earned it.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
they have more good games then bad games in their catalog especially if you include the clover stuff.
their mercenary work doesnt count because you cant do much on a low budget and licensed games usually suck anyways since they are rushed garbage.

Razlo

Oct 31, 2017
Just jumpin in to say Mad World and Anarchy Reigns are good, and also that license game work is super hard, and it's incredible if any dev makes a good licensed game (I worked at a THQ studio for a while, and wowza what they had to accomplish to just get A GAME out, let alone raising a bar).

If a developer makes some of the best games in creation when given the time and money, it's perfectly natural for people to praise them. Chill out bro.

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only Platinum game I liked was TW101, their most original one. Scalebound looked absolutely awful and it kind of shows that their range in game development is very limited.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Mad World and Korra are good. Haven't played much Anarchy Reigns but people I know who have put time into it really like it.

TMNT is the only game you mentioned where there's actually some kind of consensus that it's bad.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Who says games like tmnt "don't count"? I think most people fans or not acknowledge they've put out good games and worse ones.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Madworld and Anarchy Reigns kick ass you nerd.

And Korra's rough, but there's things to like in there for a 15 dollar budget game.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Mad World and Anarchy Reigns were great. I haven't played Korra or TMNT but I think people generally blame the publisher (Activision) for those two.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you OP, Platinum is a B+ developer at best, they had so many chances to prove if they're capable of making an AAA game (90+) but failed. Maybe the team is still developing and learning along the way?

Real test is Bay3 and Babylon's Fall.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's not only Bayo, but MGR and Vanquish too. Wonderful 101 has lots of fans. Basically if Kamiya is involved too

Astral Chain looks phenomenal as well

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
I've played just over half of the games developed by PlatinumGames that have been released and only disliked one, being Star Fox Zero, which I'm also willing to forgive considering it would be a decent game if Nintendo did not absolutely force the way the GamePad was used, so they have a good track record for me.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I've found other people who liked Mad World!

Korra was obviously a paycheck game but it honestly wasn't as bad as a lot of other licensed paycheck games.

Commercially their games have been failing since Viewtiful Joe, God Hand, and Okami, before they were even Platinum.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they've made so many good games, that's why people like them. doesn't matter if they've put out 4 or 5 duds in between those great games. it's not like the bad games cancel out the good ones.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
prettymuch everything that platinum and clover ever made is something that i think looks cool and is fun for about 10 minutes but then i never want to play again

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't care for Platinum games but it's only 4 games you mentioned.

If it's only 4 that are considered bad by the General Fans, then that isn't a bad ratio at all.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't their 'failures' mostly all low-budget licensed efforts? My understanding of it is that when Platinum is given the opportunity to do their best work, they shine, and when pressed to release a product on a shoestring budget for Activision on a tight deadline, nobody's expectations were ever high to begin with.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you OP, Platinum is a B+ developer at best, they had so many chances to prove if they're capable of making an AAA game (90+) but failed. Maybe the team is still developing and learning along the way?

Real test is Bay3 and Babylon's Fall.
this is part of the problem i have with some people here regarding japanese devs. for whatever reason some think platinum and atlus are triple a devs and i dont understand.