• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
On the PES 2019 page it doesn't have the "Get" button, only the "Install on my device" button, which to me suggests that it's a timed demo.
That's because they probably clicked first on "Get" for PES, After clicking on get you will have a popup stating they will try to push an install, then the next page you land will replace "get" with the message you are talking about.
Anyway, it's still confusing.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
That's because they probably clicked first on "Get" for PES, After clicking on get you will have a popup stating they will try to push an install, then the next page you land will replace "get" with the message you are talking about.
Anyway, it's still confusing.
Yeah you're likely right about that. I went to the page on the MS store in my region and both are showing at full price. Same when I change the region to US or GB or whatever. So I don't know what to make of it.

Tbh, it would be surprising if they actually were free to own. What was the last game on Xbox that was such (not including games with gold of course)?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Black Ops 4 must have Bluehole really shook. I wouldn't be surprised if they slowly move their whole operation to a Free 2 Play model (after they've collected a hefty premium from the PS4 audience).

Oct 28, 2017
Need some kind of official confirmation if they are free to keep or limited. Don't want to bother downloading if they are only trials. The wording is so ambiguous.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
I doubt PES is free ...

But ...

This franchise is huge ... HUGE in Mexico. So ... if they want it as a surprise for the event, that would be awesome ... and sad at the same time because its impact was leaked :(

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
I doubt PES is free ...

But ...

This franchise is huge ... HUGE in Mexico. So ... if they want it as a surprise for the event, that would be awesome ... and sad at the same time because its impact was leaked :(
Playing PES on Xbox One is the worst way to play PES. If PES 2019 was released on the Xbox 360, it would be better to play it there because at least, you can install option files. The PS4, PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 are the only platforms where you can get PES option files and it makes a huge difference in the game. I'm not sure why microsoft doesn't allow option files on Xbox one.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yeah, PES is not worth it on Xbox sadly, the inability to use option files is bad.
If you don't feel like paying for a footy gane this year, it would be totally worth it if it's free, for a friendly match with official teams here and there. If you're hardcore into the game you probably already have it on other platforms.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you're likely right about that. I went to the page on the MS store in my region and both are showing at full price. Same when I change the region to US or GB or whatever. So I don't know what to make of it.

Tbh, it would be surprising if they actually were free to own. What was the last game on Xbox that was such (not including games with gold of course)?
MS has made errors that let Lococycle and Splinter Cell: Blacklist free for hours before they fixed it. Not sure if this is an error, but it appears to give you an owner's license rather than free trial.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still makes sense PUBG is losing a lot of ground recently, needs to be free to be dominant on a new plataform.
Its only free on Xbox because MS paid Bluehole a shitload of cash to do so so they can control marketing before PS version is announced.
PUBG doesn't need to be on PS+ on release and it will easily sell over 10 million on it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its only free on Xbox because MS paid Bluehole a shitload of cash to do so so they can control marketing before PS version is announced.
PUBG doesn't need to be on PS+ on release and it will easily sell over 10 million on it.
I think 10 million is very optimistic, but it will definitely sell well on PS4.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to see what type of ownership you have of a game? Like for example if i's tied to the Gold subscription or if it has an expiry date? Apart from the Gold section in My Games & Apps. Tried digging around a bit and I can't find anything. On Xbox.com it calls both PUBG and PES "Bundle" rather than "Game" when I look at My Games but I can't find any details anywhere.

Oct 28, 2017

This kind of take on Microsofts collaboration with Bluehole is quite disrespectful. The fact is that PUBG wouldnt have been in the state it is today on consoles if MS hadnt supported Blueholes development team the way they did.

When PUBG does appear on PS4, it is thus with a lot of help from Microsoft that people can play the game as good as it is now, on that console as well.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This kind of take on Microsofts collaboration with Bluehole is quite disrespectful. The fact is that PUBG wouldnt have been in the state it is today on consoles if MS hadnt supported Blueholes development team the way they did.

When PUBG does appear on PS4, it is thus with a lot of help from Microsoft that people can play the game as good as it is now, on that console as well.
... What does that have anything to do with MS paying for the Xbox version to go free so they can get ahead before the PS4 announcement?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
A year-old, $30 game is not going to sell 10 million copies on the PS4. It's ridiculous to think so.

I assume we don't have sales numbers on the X1 version to compare it to.

Oct 28, 2017
... What does that have anything to do with MS paying for the Xbox version to go free so they can get ahead before the PS4 announcement?

It is exactly the same argument that has been made against MS through the whole process: "Theyre throwing money at Bluehole".

Do you have any evidence in this case, that they are 'paying a shitload of cash' for the copies given out now?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This listing is weird

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/p/p...time/bnm7dm2n4mwl?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

2018-11-0709_04_11-gejpcwy.png

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is exactly the same argument that has been made against MS through the whole process: "Theyre throwing money at Bluehole".

Do you have any evidence in this case, that they are 'paying a shitload of cash' for the copies given out now?
If it's being given for free, yes, they are paying Bluehole a shitload of cash

Do you think Bluehole decided out of the blue be a charity and give out copies for 100% free undercutting themselves and their own PS4 version in the process?

Oct 28, 2017
If it's being given for free, yes, they are paying Bluehole a shitload of cash

Do you think Bluehole decided out of the blue be a charity and give out copies for 100% free undercutting themselves and their own PS4 version in the process?

I think there are equal shares of marketing opportunities in the limited time offer for both companies. And I dont think these copies will make that much of an impact on Blueholes budgets; its probably a low-cost affair compared to many other PR campaigns.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I think there are equal shares of marketing opportunities in the limited time offer for both companies. And I dont think these copies will make that much of an impact on Blueholes budgets; its probably a low-cost affair compared to many other PR campaigns.

I think it also helps that the game has other avenues in-game to monetize and make up the difference.

Hollywood Pescado

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Yeah, it didn't make much sense for PUBG to be free to keep when the physical version will be on sale on Black Friday at retail.

A free play is still good for people who were on the fence or always wanted to try it out.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Hold on ... did people in here actually think that Xbox PUBG was going to be given away for free, without gold?

Wow, they did.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow...so it's like a free weekend. Nice to try the game but nothing special.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
It's interesting that Bluehole would let them do this, basically tanks the value of the product right before the PS4 release - or at least damages sales on PS4 if they're planning to charge.
Wonder if there's a good chance they'll go Free to play soon, or like other's mentioned maybe some kind of promo with Playstation, such as PS Plus

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
It's interesting that Bluehole would let them do this, basically tanks the value of the product right before the PS4 release - or at least damages sales on PS4 if they're planning to charge.
Wonder if there's a good chance they'll go Free to play soon, or like other's mentioned maybe some kind of promo with Playstation, such as PS Plus
It's only playable for 4 days, it's not yours to keep.

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Something is definitely off with how they're running this, normally with free weekends the games just appear in your download list and you can visit the store to purchase it if you're enjoying it, in this case you needed to purchase the free download and there's no option to buy the game at full price afterwards. I think there's a good chance our access will be revoked once the weekend is over but for the time being I actually do think we own the game, which isn't the case with normal free weekends.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
Something is definitely off with how they're running this, normally with free weekends the games just appear in your download list and you can visit the store to purchase it if you're enjoying it, in this case you needed to purchase the free download and there's no option to buy the game at full price. I think there's a good chance our access will be revoked once the weekend is over but for the time being I actually do think we own the game, which isn't the case with normal free weekends.
That's hasn't been the case for me (a game appearing in my 'ready to install' list). Additionally, both games are in fact available to purchase at the moment, but there's also a bundle available called "play for a limited time" that grants temporary ownership of the games, that's all. That's the bundle that has been linked by the sites on the first page.

Muzzymate

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
That makes sense - I've never seen them give away a game for keeps that wasn't an error (excluding games with gold and the like). Have Sony or Nintendo done that? I know Steam and GOG have done it on occasion but I'm not aware of consoles doing it.

It's not out of the realm of possibility.

It was a glorious day back in December 2016 when Lost Odyssey was purposefully given away for free to anyone with an Xbox account to celebrate the one year anniversary of Xbox One backwards compatibility. I'm sure there have been other times, but this is the one that immediately comes to mind.

https://majornelson.com/2016/12/14/...digitally-lost-odyssey-free-for-limited-time/

Edit: Also Tekken Tag Tournament 2 free for Gold members (outside of Games with Gold) during E3 2016.

Edit 2: Oh, not free for keeps as part of X18? I'll have to delete them when I get home then.

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's hasn't been the case for me (a game appearing in my 'ready to install' list). Additionally, both games are in fact available to purchase at the moment, but there's also a bundle available called "play for a limited time" that grants temporary ownership of the games, that's all. That's the bundle that has been linked by the sites on the first page.

I'm saying once you've bought the free download, the other listing isn't available to purchase (other than as a gift) as the system thinks you outright own the game, which isn't normally the case.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

A free weekend does not "basically tank the value of a product".