• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
I really like how it's done in Gears of War. Such a simple design, the cog wheel's appears on screen and how much of it is visible tells you how much damage you've taken. Thing of it as a circle the game drawing a circle, when it finishes drawing it completely you've taken 100% damage, but if you don't then the circle starts to gradually gets "undrawn". On top of this you get animations that tell you direction you are getting hit from (player character will duck and also register the hit to give a feedback), intense heartbeat when close to death and also you'll have blood and sparks to show you the direction.

It really is such a good design choice. If you're going to put stuff on screen that communicates how much in trouble you are, might as well put it smack dab in the middle, where nobody will miss it. At the same time make it so small that it does not obscure the screen to the point where it makes the game hard to read. Side effect is that because you're constantly looking at it, with time you get the feel of how much health you have left at any point, whether to push or hide behind cover, what type of weapon is hitting you right now, etc.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
What, this is distracting or something?
downloadfilerlu7f.jpg
It's like they knew it was shit so they blurred it and lowered the opacity to help it but didn't decide to come up with something else.

Jiffster

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I experienced this most recently with Uncharted Lost Legacy. Here you have one of the most visually impressive games to play through and the way ND decides to indicate your near death is darkening the screen and taking all the vibrant colors around you and making it a grayscale image where you can barely see anything. I am so confounded by it

Ehilst I take your point, I hafta say I applaud them for what I feel is a very clear indicator of how badly I'm doing in a fight without blasting me with annoying beeps, klaxons or heartbeats (looking at you, shadow of war!).

All in all I find the uncharted method pretty informative. I don't like my lush colour palette being taken away from me just as much as I don't like being shot or beaten to death. There's an effective symbiosis there that I'm cool with.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my least favorite thing is the incessant BEEP BEEP

BEEP BEEP

BEEP BEEP

BEEP BEEP

of your low health in Zelda games. Like yes, yes, I get it. Shut up.

I'd say you don't get it, if you think you should just be able to ignore life threatening injuries. :P It beeps because Link is on death's door and it's a problem that needs to be rectified immediately. Link is in extreme pain with unaddressed medical problems!

BushidoBro

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein 2 definitely has that opposite problem that the OP mentioned, it's driving me nuts. If it were a slower paced game (or when killing most enemies via stealth) the current system would be ok. But when all hell breaks loose it's just so fast paced it's tough to keep track of enemies, where bullets are coming from, and how much health I have left. I usually just keel over before I can get my bearings. This is at the second to highest difficulty mind you, maybe this isn't so much a problem at lower difficulties.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
latest

"Hero, your health is low. Do you have any potions or food?"

Etc(Era)

kaf

Technical Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This stuff is done because 9 times out of 10, during play testing, people keep saying things:

-they die too fast
-they thought they had way more health (and there's no way they could have been taken out with one shot from a pistol)
-they don't have a good idea what their health or status is because the gameplay and HUD are focused on the edges where people aren't necessarily paying attention

The solution is to affect the entire screen and audio to make it obvious once you've hit a lower health threshold. It's a delicate balancing act which it needs to be relayed at the right time and not be obstructive while still being obvious to people.

Wiggles

Oct 28, 2017
Low health screen effects and things like suppression in Battlefield are some of my most hated game design decisions. In some games your visibility becomes seriously hampered, making it hard to zero in on just who is shooting you, or where to go to find cover. In other words: "can't see shit". In some way it feels like you are being punished for playing poorly. Sometimes it's easier just to concede the death and restart from checkpoint/respawn.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Someone should do a mechanic where the more damage you take, the more the screen turns upside down, then, at your last 10% until you die, it's completely upside down.

You'll never be caught unaware again!

faerith

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've only played one game were the screen changed when on low health and imo it's like an extra hard/troll-mode: hey, I see you are in a bit of trouble there! How about me making it harder for you to see stuff? Will that help?
Anyone have any examples of games that alter the music when you're close to death? Continuing to play the same melody, but switching instruments, changing the tempo, etc. Like how many 3D Zelda games have a battle theme that fades in as you near enemies, add instruments as you draw your sword, add more as one of you lands the first strike, etc., but based on whether you or your enemy is getting put on the ropes? I love this kind of stuff.
Trails in the Sky changes its music depending on how bad/good you are doing and I'm pretty sure there was another JRPG that did this.

Tagyhag: lol, what a beautiful idea.

Rivuz

Oct 27, 2017
It's the main reason why i never play the Uncharted games on highest difficulties.
Those games are so good looking, i can't stand spending most of my time in black and white screen.

Sparse

Oct 27, 2017
This stuff is done because 9 times out of 10, during play testing, people keep saying things:

-they die too fast
-they thought they had way more health (and there's no way they could have been taken out with one shot from a pistol)
-they don't have a good idea what their health or status is because the gameplay and HUD are focused on the edges where people aren't necessarily paying attention

The solution is to affect the entire screen and audio to make it obvious once you've hit a lower health threshold. It's a delicate balancing act which it needs to be relayed at the right time and not be obstructive while still being obvious to people.

Basically.

I like the idea of everything fading except the enemies in the immediate area. If it's an FPS couple it with a toggleable slowdown recovery shot (if it's that kind of game) and you're onto a winner.

Call of Duty's strawberry jam damage screen was always funny.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Ehilst I take your point, I hafta say I applaud them for what I feel is a very clear indicator of how badly I'm doing in a fight without blasting me with annoying beeps, klaxons or heartbeats (looking at you, shadow of war!).

All in all I find the uncharted method pretty informative. I don't like my lush colour palette being taken away from me just as much as I don't like being shot or beaten to death. There's an effective symbiosis there that I'm cool with.

Yeah that would be great if you aren't playing on the harder difficulties where just one or two shots immediately puts you in danger of needing a tourniquet

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm partial to this style of health indicator from Quake 3:

As for damage indicators, I think the ones in Half-Life / CS work great, they're not distracting and they're directional.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Infamous is so bad with this. You are forced into this sluggish slow motion and the screen becomes blurry.
Who thought that was a good idea? Jesus Christ.

Dead Space handled it brilliantly.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is the WORST with this. The beeping in Zelda, the crying baby in Yoshi's Island... Ugh.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally think it can increase immersion if used correctly. Also never thought of the "Beep, Beep" as that annoying, especially as you rarely got that low.
Using low health to induce some kind of urgency is a good design element if used correctly of course. Maybe add a movement options that is only available once you reach the state where your vision is impaired and urgency sets in, for example a slight jump or whatever may suit the character.

I agree with other posters that developers should experiment more with the UI/HUD.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are you talking about? Your entire vision getting blurry and grayscale as you're getting hurt, optionally with red jello, is just like real life.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
my least favorite thing is the incessant BEEP BEEP

BEEP BEEP

BEEP BEEP

BEEP BEEP

of your low health in Zelda games. Like yes, yes, I get it. Shut up.

First time I played Zelda ALTTP was the GBA port, and that god damn low health beep while playing in headphones nearly caused me psychological damage. There is no point to a constant beep if there is nothing you can do about it. It just annoys the crap out of you and pisses you off the longer it goes on.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the way Battlefield 4 has the player person do a distinct, extra heavy grunt if you take significant damage. It's the "oh crap, get to cover" sound.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Either go with something visible on the character, like Dead Space's rig, or a change in animation, like RE characters holding their ribs/dragging their weapon, just do that without hindering movement/vision.

Darth Vapor

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Star
Just another tragedy of the overuse of the regenerating health mechanic.

Either way, just give us a health bar or HP and leave the red filter or tunnel vision out.

Tool Of God

Oct 28, 2017
We learned recently from the twitter developer dump about some of the ways we are tricked into feeling or thinking a certain thing in games. Health bars would ruin some of those tricks. I'm usually not bothered by the visual overlays. in MP, everyone has them, so it's "fair".