• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played PUBG in months after getting frustrated with how janky it is and the desync issues and all of that. A while after I stopped they announced their Fix PUBG initiative. Is it improved much at this point? I'm missing the BR experience, but I can't stand Fortnite and there aren't many other options that are similar to PUBG, aside from BO4 Blackout which isn't out yet.

Is it worth getting back into or is it still a hot mess?

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played PUBG in months after getting frustrated with how janky it is and the desync issues and all of that. A while after I stopped they announced their Fix PUBG initiative. Is it improved much at this point? I'm missing the BR experience, but I can't stand Fortnite and there aren't many other options that are similar to PUBG, aside from BO4 Blackout which isn't out yet.

Is it worth getting back into or is it still a hot mess?
Around when did you stop?

In terms of content and balance, PUBG is in a fairly good place, and Fix PUBG has been adding a bunch of very welcome QOL stuff. That said, major, night and day differences to performance and especially server stuff haven't materialized yet, with the performance stuff mostly focused on reducing hitching (which does seem to be lowering though it's not quite 100% there yet, the actual average FPS is in a fairly decent spot), and a bunch of really complicated stuff about server performance that basically boils down to "this should maybe reduce this problem early game" with people still getting hit by bad cases of individual desync every now and then, which may be an unavoidable problem until stronger ping/region lock is implemented.

edit: on another note, I looked at Reddit for the snow map stuff and apparently stuff like C4, that conquest mode that appeared on test briefly, and skyboxes for night mode were datamined as well.

Last edited:

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Around when did you stop?

In terms of content and balance, PUBG is in a fairly good place, and Fix PUBG has been adding a bunch of very welcome QOL stuff. That said, major, night and day differences to performance and especially server stuff haven't materialized yet, with the performance stuff mostly focused on reducing hitching (which does seem to be lowering though it's not quite 100% there yet, the actual average FPS is in a fairly decent spot), and a bunch of really complicated stuff about server performance that basically boils down to "this should maybe reduce this problem early game" with people still getting hit by bad cases of individual desync every now and then, which may be an unavoidable problem until stronger ping/region lock is implemented.

edit: on another note, I looked at Reddit for the snow map stuff and apparently stuff like C4, that conquest mode that appeared on test briefly, and skyboxes for night mode were datamined as well.

I don't remember for sure. There have been a lot of changes since I stopped. I think it was just before Sanhok was released, because I've never played on that map. However, it could have been a month or more before it was released. I'm mostly deterred by the janky engine stuff. The week before I quit I got second place three times in two days, when I should have had first place (had the jump on the last guy in all situations, full armor/health, emptied a magazine on the person to have them end up killing me). After that I just couldn't deal with it, especially after playing just about any other FPS that actually runs well. I love the idea of PUBG, but it's such a buggy mess that it's really hard for me to want to play it. I've been playing R6: Siege and some other games since then and their gun mechanics are on point. It really puts it into perspective how bad PUBG is (or was, depending on the current state). I don't want to come back if those issues aren't fixed.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
i feel so bad about this

uTV6UQc.jpg

I don't remember for sure. There have been a lot of changes since I stopped. I think it was just before Sanhok was released, because I've never played on that map. However, it could have been a month or more before it was released. I'm mostly deterred by the janky engine stuff. The week before I quit I got second place three times in two days, when I should have had first place (had the jump on the last guy in all situations, full armor/health, emptied a magazine on the person to have them end up killing me). After that I just couldn't deal with it, especially after playing just about any other FPS that actually runs well. I love the idea of PUBG, but it's such a buggy mess that it's really hard for me to want to play it. I've been playing R6: Siege and some other games since then and their gun mechanics are on point. It really puts it into perspective how bad PUBG is (or was, depending on the current state). I don't want to come back if those issues aren't fixed.

Well, it's a mixed bag. Stuff like those weird 1v1s have been reduced in some ways because they added limb penetration, so hands/arms don't magically soak up half of a spray's damage randomly, but at the same time there's still nasty desync cases. They're promising that they'll focus on optimization stuff the server side aspect, and looking at the roadmap that should be the second half of this, but it's hard to say until results are here.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
If I spawn in under the map one more goddamn time

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
If I spawn in under the map one more goddamn time
Training map? I had that happen on test server a few days ago.

A bunch of decent to eh games today, right after the patch I had a guy scream at me about desync for like 2 full minutes after I killed him, then some really bleh games today (including an actual case of desync where the other guy shot me at the top of the stairs when I had actually backed halfway down a second earlier, so he wasn't even on my screen when I got shot), then I got an actual win on Sanhok purely because of a crate giving me a L3 helmet to absorb a M24 shot, and an M249 to laser people. I nearly flubbed in the last 1v1 but just crouched and shot through the grass without being able to see him anymore.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
wtf is this, I just got a 7 day suspension for harassment? Is that even a thing? I was playing squads on SEA, and the other team was literally non-stop insulting/harassing and I said 1 thing to them after we wiped them.

ffs pubg reporting system needs to change.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
The new mission system is way better than the event pass. It's a lot easier to understand. I also got a free crate and a permanent bandana.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Random duo's can be so annoying. Keep getting matches with people who don't speak, and when I finally get someone who does (and they speak English!) it's like we are cursed to die within 30 seconds of the game.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Random duo's can be so annoying. Keep getting matches with people who don't speak, and when I finally get someone who does (and they speak English!) it's like we are cursed to die within 30 seconds of the game.
Yeah it's either duo/squad with friends or solo for me. Solo still feels surprisingly fun after playing with squad for a while since it can be a lot more greedily.

Had some of the buggiest matches yesterday. Almost everyone I shot just flew in some random direction (like up in the air) after dying. Desync is still bad as ever, sometimes even your spectating friend can see blood splashes but still you get zero hit points. But of course we got into another match straight after that experience lol

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017

We have lots of QOL fixes coming to the @PUBG Test Server soon, including an overhaul of our map selection system! Stay tuned for the full patch notes later this week.

DnU2I3gX4AAAC4N.jpg:large

Looks like proper map select is coming back, and ALL will be replaced by "Quick Join" which picks the shortest queue.

For reference: the reason some regions have been fucked or why even in high pop regions you can sometimes get a wonky 50 minute wait time, then unqueue and requeue and it'll work fine, is that the matchmaking system seems to just pick the first server/match it sees and throws you into it. On Test Server when nobody's playing, it's easy to see how this works: queueing ALL will just alternate between the Sanhok queue times and the Erangel/Miramar queue times, it's not picking the best queue. That's also why OCE and SA have gotten fucked since the map select first came out, it doubled the queues and spread them way thinner. The OCE community has tried to game the system by having 100 people in Discord all queue at once for FPP Solos, only for them all to end up in different queues/games.

EDIT: We're also getting a Chuseok (Korean harvest festival) event. For four weeks, if you place Top 15 5 times that week, you get that week's cosmetics:

Last edited:

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
I'm new to this, but $5 for a single piece of avatar clothing?! Not even an outfit?! That'd still be crazy to me.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Servers will go down at 5:30pst tonight. Bug Fixes and server maintenance.

He can't kill us...

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
i have no idea what was going on with this crashed(?) player but it scared the shit out of me

erangel_top10s.mp4:

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Update #22 is now on test servers

Strap on that level 3 helmet, cause the competition on the battlegrounds just got a little more fierce. Update 22 is bringing a long-awaited Ranking system to PUBG, allowing you to put everything you've learned to the test as you climb the ranks. More information on this new system is coming soon!

We're also squashing another collection of FIX PUBG bugs, adding a convenient new wheel menu to health and throwable inventories, adding a way for you to upgrade your duplicate or unwanted skins, and by very popular demand, bringing back map selection.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1688177728620125512

Oct 26, 2017
qa6c3iU.png

I can deal with long queue times. Just don't *lie* to me about it PUBG!

Squads says 17 seconds, and it takes about 2 minutes to give me a half full lobby that slowly trickles up. Can't get a Solo game at this hour to save my life despite the reasonable sounding estimate.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having the worst day of PUBG I've had in months today. Some of it is awkwardness with Sanhok being a shithole of getting third partied, some of it was just bad luck, but a lot of it was the servers just completely having a Chernobyl style meltdown tonight. I haven't had desync this bad in ages. I'm getting shot behind walls consistently match after match, spectating my killer and seeing that my 3-4 confirmed shots did 0-1 shots worth of damage in reality, and multiple occasions of being hit by someone peeking who only appeared on my screen a second after their bullet hit me. At one point I died because of the stupid tree LOD thing, where the LODs don't actually match up over range, so someone can theoretically be behind a one-way obstruction of leaves but still see you perfectly.

And the sound has just gotten weird. At some point someone was able to walk up behind me on a hard left flank when they sounded like they were shifting back and forth in front of me at a closed door, and the sound only shifted at the very last second. The rest of the time there was sound coming out of the right channel when they were completely to my back and the left.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having the worst day of PUBG I've had in months today. Some of it is awkwardness with Sanhok being a shithole of getting third partied.

I really struggle with how to approach Sanhok - I'm acutely aware that every time I fire a shot, I alert all my neighbors and I find myself not wanting to sit in one spot for too long, but that inevitably leads me into running into more trouble. You have to balance your positioning with your ability to take out threats around you.

Norgler

Nov 13, 2017
Anyone here playing this game in Thailand/SEA? looking for some people to play with.. playing with randoms is getting pretty awful.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having the worst day of PUBG I've had in months today. Some of it is awkwardness with Sanhok being a shithole of getting third partied, some of it was just bad luck, but a lot of it was the servers just completely having a Chernobyl style meltdown tonight.
It's been terrible for me tonight. I don't understand why there aren't west coast servers for this game. 100-150ms ping at all times, and packet loss on my upload spikes to between 5-30% at a disturbingly high rate. Some of these killcams I'm seeing are just absurd.

And somehow there are still plenty of China No. 1 players.

Last edited:

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Servers felt a lot better these last couple days, and I hit one of the sickest M24 moving headshots of my life at a guy hopping at like 20m away from me.

I also saw someone actually in one of those Erangel radio towers for the first time in like 500 hours, but all I had was an Uzi and a crossbow. They were standing still the whole time. I kept trying to crossbow aiming higher and higher until they weren't even on the screen but it's impossible to tell where it actually dropped.

Oct 26, 2017
Miramar is easily my best map. I think it's the god buildings and those big green barns. I always get looted up nice and quick. Or maybe I'm just good at running through desolate landscapes? I don't know, I didn't say it was my *favorite*, just that it suits me from a results perspective. It's too bad that some of the better points of interest, the military base, prison, and that town with the big bridge that goes towards prison are so out of the way and barely used.

I think they still need to look at how circles work. Sanhok has its own mechanics, and really maybe they should be different per map. Erangel seems fine for the most part, but could benefit from slower moving late circles, with shorter gaps, just like Sanhok. Miramar could use... something. Maybe that thing they had tried on Sanhok where it would show you the first circle before you even got in the plane. But I think they should think bigger... maybe not do circles on Miramar at all. Maybe go with a grid system. I think the game would be livelier if each map really had its own thing.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Miramar is easily my best map. I think it's the god buildings and those big green barns. I always get looted up nice and quick. Or maybe I'm just good at running through desolate landscapes? I don't know, I didn't say it was my *favorite*, just that it suits me from a results perspective. It's too bad that some of the better points of interest, the military base, prison, and that town with the big bridge that goes towards prison are so out of the way and barely used.

I think they still need to look at how circles work. Sanhok has its own mechanics, and really maybe they should be different per map. Erangel seems fine for the most part, but could benefit from slower moving late circles, with shorter gaps, just like Sanhok. Miramar could use... something. Maybe that thing they had tried on Sanhok where it would show you the first circle before you even got in the plane. But I think they should think bigger... maybe not do circles on Miramar at all. Maybe go with a grid system. I think the game would be livelier if each map really had its own thing.

The only pacing problems PUBG has is due to players hot dropping. Sanhok has less of a pacing problem because the map is smaller, which compensates for hot dropping. Miramar is disliked because of pacing and players feeling that there isn't enough cover. There's plenty of cover, however. It's a perception issue where some people simply don't feel safe unless there are walls, trees, or rocks.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Faceit for PUBG goes public tomorrow.

On the topic of maps, I think every map has its ups and downs. I've never hated any of them.

-Erangel is obviously the most familiar and feels "right," but it's also pretty lacking in other ways. It's maybe the worst looking map, there's a ton of just plain empty areas (and not even in a Miramar way; like there's the wheat fields, but also a bunch of places where it's just a rolling green field or hill with no cover, especially in the northern half), and I think the Erangel end circles are the most boring in the game: you find a rock or tree and stare at it, or you prone in grass. I was happy when they added that forest around Mansion, and recently when they revamped the northwest side of Sosnovka Island.

-Miramar obviously has the infamously boring mid-game; traversal can be a nightmare because it's so big but vehicles are so prone to flipping on the hills; and the way the circles tend to center means that they wasted all of the super interesting unique locations on the edges because nobody goes there (when was the last time you seriously went Prison, Ruins, Campo Militar, Lighthouse, or that excavated tunnel south of Leones? Miramar actually has the neatest unique locations, you just never see them). But I think the urban environments and super bumpy terrain give it by far the most interesting beginning fights and end circles in the game. End circles on Miramar tend to be super tense because there's usually very little hard cover, you just have to go on guess work and mind games to try and read where the other person is in a bunch of ridges.

-Sanhok is a super refreshing experience and can bring back the tension of playing PUBG for the first time, especially with weather. But it can feel super samey super fast if you play nothing but it. Getting looted up immediately is fun, but it can steal some of the tension or feeling of "leveling up" as you progress, or make bad luck on drop feel even worse because now the other player is more likely to have gotten something. If you don't get the circle early on, the shrink time is so fast that you need to loot up and run immediately or else you're going to be running the whole game. And like I said earlier, it's a third party nightmare once you get to the third circle, where any time you shoot you have to prepare yourself for at least 2 other people to shoot at you or steal your kill. It sure is a pretty map, though, and I actually do like the way the circles often have interesting mixes of water, land, hard cliffs, buildings, etc. Also, the military camps and Resort have this really fun, almost N64 shooter feeling of boxy level design that's endlessly enjoyable.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Right after I say you never see the Miramar tunnel, I get a Miramar tunnel finish. Okay it final ended right outside the tunnel, but it was fun for me being the only guy rotating in through one entrance and out the other while everyone else fought on the mountain above.

spuck

Oct 28, 2017
London

I think they still need to look at how circles work.

I similarly prefer Erangel, but I've had some very good results on Miramar. Two of my personal best performances were in the desert, and I've had numerous other wins as well. In fact, in recent memory it definitely feels that more of my wins have been on Mirmar than elsewhere.

1) Was in a squad game with my whole team dead and me going into a 1v3 scenario. No idea if the last 3 guys were on the same team (they were), but I got lucky with their poor positioning which allowed me to basically kill them off one-by-one. I had a disadvantage with the low ground, so if they came at me all at once there's no way I'd have won. But my reactions were on point and it was such an amazing feeling to win it in the clutchiest way possible.

2) Similar situation to the previous win, but in a duo. My teammate was dead and there were like 6 or 7 people left alive. I found myself in a dip (low ground again) with literally zero cover, so I was just constantly watching the top edges like a hawk. A few of the remaining guys killed each other. I wiped out one duo as they peaked the top of the dip to make it 3 left...all solos, but I didn't know that at the time. I moved around the edge of the circle; one of the last 2 remaining guys killed the other. 1v1. I spotted him in the distance and he took cover behind a tree. I decided to play the aggressor and approach him, exposing myself, but it worked out as I managed to outgun him when he peaked to win. (Normally I'd play it safe, but I was oozing a level of confidence and sort of decided to YOLO it!)

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
FaceIt is now live, and streamers are launching FaceIt comp leagues with prize pools, leaderboards, tournaments.

WackyJacky is starting a EU Solo FPP league called Survivor's League. It requires a sign-up fee, rewards include cash prizes:

Choco is starting an NA Duos FPP league (you don't have to duo with the same person, you can random) called North American Proving Grounds, it also has a sign-up fee, prizes are mice and GPUs: https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGR...taco_launches_north_american_proving_grounds/

Both of them are using modified rulesets closer to competitive settings (ie no redzone, circles shrink more but move slowly, loot boosted, lower player cap)