• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't played in two weeks, but the servers did actually feel pretty good today. I had a win today with some really clean headshot sprays and a crossbow headshot through windows.

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The way the game has gotten a negative reputation this year sucks.

All the big streamers are playing COD. No real good PUBG content to watch

The tournaments have vanished.

People are overstating the issues (yes there are many but it's leaps and bounds the best BR game still) and there's a false narrative that it's unplayable.

PUBG is still just as amazing, if not moreso, than it was this time last year when it was the hottest thing in gaming.

I still love playing it but I'm sad it's in the shadows a bit now.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/2486445930579204546

Dev Letter: FIX PUBG Campaign
November 16 - Valor
c61d76cfdcbf9af117687dbcfab531270f927fa1.png

A message from Taeseok Jang, Head of Development/Director of Production

Hello everyone,

Since the start of the FIX PUBG campaign, the dev team at PUBG has prioritized tasks around improving core performance of the game while fixing longstanding bugs. To accomplish these tasks within our allotted time frame, all available dev resources were assigned to the campaign. However, due to several new stability issues that arose apart from FIX PUBG, we wanted to hold off on completing the campaign these last few weeks while we worked on resolving those issues. We understand that timely communication with you is important and will always look for ways we can improve. I apologize to the players on behalf of the Dev team for the postponement until now, but while we're a little late from the posted FIX PUBG schedule, we still feel it's important to share the results of this campaign.

The Goal of FIX PUBG

At the start of the campaign, the most important elements we had in mind are as listed below. We have worked on increasing the quality of PUBG based on largely these four topics. We will go over the state of each category as well as what we still plan to improve upon.

• Provide the best gameplay experience possible through client and server performance optimization
  • Ensure fair gameplay with more efficient anti-cheat solutions using all available means
  • Smarter and faster matchmaking through improved matchmaking logic
  • Fix bugs that degrade the experience while applying long-requested QOL improvements

Client Performance

During this campaign, one of our key goals was optimization, with the main focus on delivering a smooth and seamless gaming experience, especially in certain gameplay situations that could greatly affect your chances of winning/losing (such as early battles after parachute landings, close combat in the last Blue zone, etc.). While the overall game-wide optimizations, such as increasing normal frames, were minimal, the performance optimization for specific situations as mentioned above was quite impactful. We have analyzed the effects of our performance improvements on frame rate by using level benchmark profiling, and as the chart shows, FPS has increased in November's build when compared to July.

96fc301a6b68ab52dea05df9dd5d9a46632f624a.png

Level Benchmark Profiling

To explain a little more in detail, we have optimized level streaming and decreased the burden that comes with level loading while moving. Compared to before, the average time to load 1 level has dropped significantly from 14.4 seconds to 5.6 seconds. Our work on optimizing "Physics Creation" is still ongoing and we plan to apply those fixes after running a final test around the end of December.

By optimizing game effects, we have reduced the load caused when multiple effects are activated at the same time. We have also begun optimizing frame rate drop issues on specific effects such as smoke. Environmental effects, vehicle destruction effects, hit effects and smoke effects have been improved and we are planning to add improvements on weapon related logic and effects as well.

Regarding character related optimization, we have seen unfortunate side effects caused by movement optimization, such as footstep sound bugs and desync. Of course, we place player experience as the top priority even if that means we lose out on a part of optimization. This does not mean we have given up on character movement optimization, though. We are preparing general optimization work and once it has gone through proper stability testing, we will apply it once again.

Server Performance

In a Dev Letter[www.pubg.com] last August, we talked about server performance. As of Update #19, we have improved the early game server performance, which had the lowest performance of each match, and increased the average FPS by more than 20%, which we are happy to have maintained on similar levels.

Below you see the graph for NA's average server FPS after Update #19.

cda66dd9c2983c7c1d9db981374110f669f99a97.jpg

NA's average server FPS after Update #19

Our current goal is to maintain a server tick-rate of 30 from the start to finish of the match. As the server tick-rate increases, the actual ping time is reduced and instances of desync are also mitigated. Since it is still a hot topic in the community, we plan to continue to focus heavily on this goal.

I'd also like to explain the desync issues that occurred during the FIX PUBG campaign a little more in-depth. When the issue arose, we analyzed server logs as well as the many videos you shared with us. The strangest among the reported instances were the desync issues that occurred even with low ping. After having traced the source of this issue, we discovered that there was a bug in one of the character movement optimizations that were implemented to increase client performance. As many of you noticed, this bug has been fixed as of the November 7 patch, which has been reported to greatly reduce instances of desync for many players.

Desync can still occur and has a greater chance of happening when ping is high or there is a high variance in ping between players. This makes proper matchmaking all the more important, which I will go into in the next section. Having so many variables can sometimes make issues difficult and hard to anticipate, but we will continue our efforts to ease server related problems wherever we can to reach our 30 server frames per second goal while ensuring smooth and precise gameplay.

Matchmaking

Below, I've outlined our current goals for Matchmaking.
  • Provide a stable gaming environment by matching players with similar Ping.
  • Provide a fair gaming environment by matching users with a similar skill level (in relation to MMR, not Rank).
  • Set-up for players using the same language to be placed on the same team.
  • Ensure large-scale play with 100 players to maximize the fun of the Battle Royale experience.
  • Minimize wait times as best as possible while fulfilling the above requirements.

As you can see, the matchmaking in PUBG is somewhat complex, and requires quite a few variables to work how we want it to. Making a change to improve one aspect can very often lead to new problems somewhere else.

We consider the matchmaking issues that occurred after Patch #22 to be in similar nature. As outlined in our Dev Letter[www.pubg.com] from last October, this problem has been largely solved, but that patch alone is not enough to find the right balance in matchmaking.

Here are the steps we're considering to improve this.
  • Provide better matchmaking queue information for all map/mode options
    • Let players select the best choice based on their personal judgment in regions/time zones where the matching pool is insufficient.
    • Ensure that maps & modes are running smoothly.

fbdcba0ffa0c41a3c9b535380c9a68702e3a295e.png

Matchmaking screen when playing in a good ping environment

f7d3f8db83ce9afacaa5b939832265befa076a45.png

Matchmaking screen when playing in a bad ping environment
*The above images are examples. Actual UI will likely be different.

We are considering a matchmaking UI overhaul so players can more easily recognize the estimated wait time for matchmaking and the current ping. With an improved matchmaking UI based on personal preferences, players will be able to play in their desired environment and game mode/map, even if matching takes a little longer. In the end, we want to provide useful information for players to judge the situation and make the choice between wait time and optimal performance themselves if the matchmaking pool doesn't allow for both.

Of course, these improvements do not mean simply changing only the UI, but also need to be accompanied by technical aspects for support such as a function that can measure the average ping value as accurately as possible. Until we are able to provide you with the best matchmaking method, we will focus on aspects of the system we can help now.

Anti-cheat

Our fight with unauthorized programs can only be compared to a never-ending battle. Such a fight can be exhausting but we have already made great strides, banning over 2 million accounts during the FIX PUBG campaign alone. We will continue to improve system analyses and monitoring, policy, and new anti-cheat solutions, while at the same time exploring external solutions such as police investigations and legal action. While breakthroughs and improvements aren't ever fast enough to eradicate all cheating, our mission remains the same; to never back off in the fight against unauthorized programs.

We are constantly banning unauthorized programs by analyzing and utilizing data from various logs. In addition, we are developing our own anti-cheat solution to prevent the use of unauthorized programs. We expect to have something to share on this in the near future.

For some organizations, bans and countermeasures aren't enough to dissuade the production of these programs. In some regions, we have been able to work with local law enforcement to arrest the groups involved in the production and sale of unauthorized programs and we will continue to aid authorities in any way we can. We are also finishing preparations for hardware bans to permanently remove stubborn players who refuse to play fair. These bans will begin soon and will target players who continue to cheat on new accounts.

There is much more I can go into on this topic, but there are other things to discuss related to the FIX PUBG campaign. We will speak more on the subject of anti-cheat in a separate Dev Letter.

Bug Fixing / QOL Improvements

We began the FIX PUBG campaign with 100 bugs and QOL improvements to tackle and everything in this category has been completed. I don't say this to ask for praise, rather we are disappointed that this list was 100 items in the first place.

From a developer's perspective, bugs are elements that occur continuously at any time, but we understand that anything that affects your gameplay takes away from the fun you have with our game. We have put more of an emphasis on the QA process for our builds and are planning to secure even more resources for a smoother QA process.

We are always grateful for the players who take time to submit bug reports with us. In order to process these kinds of bug reports more efficiently, we are preparing a new system that enables players to submit and track the progress of bugs through a new website. We are now in the final stages and our goal is to release this before the end of the year, after running all necessary stability/functionality tests.

Console

The direction of Xbox and PlayStation development will parallel with PC, continuing to focus on providing our console players a more refined game service to give the best experience. We'll update any other detailed information regarding future plan of PUBG on console as well.

Closing Words

Throughout our game's journey, our main goal was to provide you new content quickly, while supplementing Battle Royale gameplay. We acknowledge that in this process, we have overlooked issues that matter to you and we have reflected a lot on our mistakes. Something like this requires not only considerable effort, but extra care to ensure that bugs remain fixed and do not impact anything else.

Therefore, when designing the 2019 PUBG roadmap, we've changed our direction from this last year. Build stability and quality are now our most important value, and upon that base we will build new Battle Royale gameplay and new content. At first, this is likely to slow down our build cadence, but as these processes become more proficient, we hope to provide new content as fast as before, while maintaining our new stability and quality-first goal. While we cannot say how long this will take, we promise you that we will give our best efforts to reach this stage as quickly as possible.

Three months have passed since the announcement of the FIX PUBG. We know there are many things to improve upon, but we do have a sense that we more accurately feel what you, the players want and need. While this is the end of the FIX PUBG campaign, we will go forward in our development, improve our processes, and redouble our efforts with the lessons learned.

As always, thank you for your continued support and passion for our game.

-Taeseok Jang, Head of Development/Director of Production

Nothing particularly standout, just a recap of stuff.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I've reached the point where I find myself enjoying watching people play the game more than actually playing it myself. Also has to do with not having regular people to play with.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone here know how the hell ChocoTaco has such superhuman hearing? He can usually hear someone pop painkillers when they are like 4 houses over and determine the exact room as well. If I turn my volume up that loud, the gunfire and vehicles will literally explode my eardrums.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
When you're as good as a guy like choco its always a mix of things. A marriage of game skill and game awareness.

Oct 26, 2017
New map is up on test. Squads only though. Really not feeling the randoms and I'm not exactly shroud so 1 v squads are a little rough.

Map seems great, just wish they'd let me play some solos on it already.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They should change the color of buildings on the map, it works with the green and everything on erangel and sanhok, but the snow and beige or whatever you call it doesn't mesh well when you're trying to find stuff on the map.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I've been hating how there's squads/solo squads only on Vikendi, until I wiped two squads today (including shooting two guys off a snowmobile at once).

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the new season pass, which will go live on the 19th:

Added Survivor Pass: Vikendi
  • The duration of the pass is 10 weeks.
  • Players have the opportunity to complete missions and receive rewards throughout the duration of the pass.
  • Two types of passes are available:
    • Survivor Pass: Vikendi - Provides missions and rewards to unlock for all players, as they level-up the pass.
    • Premium Pass - Provides special missions and exclusive rewards to players who've purchased the premium pass, as they level-up the pass.
  • The Premium Pass will be available on the test server for testing and will be purchasable on the live servers Dec 19, 2018 for $9.99 (price may vary slightly depending on your region).
    • Some missions cannot be completed while on the test server, due to limited game mode selection.
  • Each level you can claim rewards from Survivor Pass: Vikendi in the Rewards tab and also claim Coupons by clicking on the 'Drop In Supply' button.
    • Coupons can be used to unlock exclusive rewards, read on for more details.
  • You can view your current mission lists in the 'Missions' tab and can also check the mission lists in-game by clicking 'P' prior to jumping out of the plane.
  • There are 5 mission types available to complete:
    • Daily Missions: 3 missions will be provided every day. You swap out up to 1 mission per day.
    • Weekly Missions: 10 missions will be available every week, and you can view the missions for specific weeks.
      • Premium Pass holders can complete up to 10 missions per week and all players with Survivor Pass: Vikendi can complete up to 4 missions.
    • Beginner Missions: Easy missions which are provided for beginner players.
    • Premium Missions: All players can complete these missions, but only players who have the Premium Pass can claim rewards after completion.
    • Challenge Missions: Theses are special missions provided for players who've completed all their weekly missions in a specific week. It contains more challenging and advanced missions.
      • All players can complete Challenge Missions, but only players who have the Premium Pass can claim rewards after completion.
f863b73f8c02ea614b8be248b45b1302f1693112.png

Added 'Coupon' system in Survivor Pass: Vikendi
  • You can claim Coupons (Blue, Yellow and White) each level, which you can then use to unlock exclusive items in the Coupon Shop.
The existing Survival Rewards system will be integrated with Survivor Pass: Vikendi on December 19th.
  • We have integrated the existing Survival Rewards system into Survivor Pass: Vikendi in order to reflect feedback from the players regarding temporary items and duplicate rewards.
  • Existing Survival Rewards system will be closed on December 19, 2018 and all existing supply missions will end.
    • Make sure to click 'Claim' and 'Drop In Supply' to redeem rewards as they before the system is closed.

• A banner in lobby will display remaining time for the Survival Rewards system.
0e0a0b18d36fd271e1973fd01f679a2d5c3e2b30.png

Here's all of the pass rewards:

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
I may have found a player with nuttier aim than even Shroud.

https://m.twitch.tv/kaymind

I cannot believe how good this guy is. Every time I watch him he routinely drops 15+ kills. He's got a better K/D and win ratio than all the other big streamers, including Shroud and Choco, and that's without all the stream sniper fluff.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
what do you think about the new map?
it looks pretty nice but i find it really boring. i don't meet anyone for ages and then normally im getting shot from campers somwhere.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
it looks pretty nice but i find it really boring. i don't meet anyone for ages and then normally im getting shot from campers somwhere.

I like the map but agree that it can be boring. The problem is the speed of the circles imo. They are so slow and don't push the action enough. The weapon spawn distribution is sort of weird too because there are so many SMGs, so few DMR/snipers, a wrong mix of attachments, and a plethora of level 3 gear. You get a map that feels much different than the others. I think with some circle and loot changes the map will be fantastic though.

I really hope they revamp Erangel in 2019 -- fill it with buildings and geometry like Vikendi and up the loot.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Overall. Love it. Hope they tweak some things like mentioned above.

I hope they stop with new maps for a little. Real erangel with stuff they learned about the other 3 maps. Work on bugs and optimization, etc.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I like the map but agree that it can be boring. The problem is the speed of the circles imo. They are so slow and don't push the action enough. The weapon spawn distribution is sort of weird too because there are so many SMGs, so few DMR/snipers, a wrong mix of attachments, and a plethora of level 3 gear. You get a map that feels much different than the others. I think with some circle and loot changes the map will be fantastic though.

I really hope they revamp Erangel in 2019 -- fill it with buildings and geometry like Vikendi and up the loot.

adding more of everything isn't a solution - miramar made that very clear - i'd like them to re-do the map, but don't try to make it crazy complex, just give it a much needed polishing.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Overhauling Erangel should be the next thing, we don't need any more maps for a long time after Vikendi. They made some smart moves in the past but never really capitalized on them (adding the big forest around Mansion, adding Kameshki, revamping the terrain on northwest side of mili island).

TBH, in retrospect we should have had the following maps:

-Erangel
-Miramar 4x4 as the original plan was (with the same basic layout, just shrunk down with the filler compounds cut out)
-Vikendi as it is

Obviously it wouldn't have happened like that, because the lessons from Miramar lead to Sanhok, and the lessons from both lead to Vikendi, but it's nice ot dream.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm down for an Erangel overhaul. It has the obvious legacy of being low budget from before PUBG blowing up. The basic layout is fantastic. The towns could be a lot better, Vikendi-style. The farmland can get rid of the weird asian irrigation stuff that doesn't fit in at all. As iconic as Erangel is, I can't imagine anyone getting too upset if they rebuilt it.

Overall circle timings need work. Including Vikendi sadly. I think really only Sanhok has really well dialed in circle settings for what it is.

And Miramar needs something to make people want to play it... I don't know. Up the playercount (hold netcode, hold!)? Try that concept again where the first circle shows before the drop? Add helicopters?

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I think Miramar was a victim of bad first impressions, and people being so excited about something new that the feedback didn't initially capture the actual problems with it.

-The lack of compounds when it first came out was bad, but that's mostly been fixed
-Cities were way too busy (again, partially fixed)
-The weird double edged sword of vehicle usage and the position of unique locations: vehicles are necessary with how big it is, but they're also so prone to flipping or getting yourself killed. This made people not want to drop near the more unique locations on the edges, which were placed there to encourage less central hotdrops. This is still mostly a problem
-The lack of hard cover outside cities is a big jarring change from the "run to a tree or rock" playstyle on Erangel that contributed to the "if you get spotted in the open you're dead" reputation, but the actual terrain itself has so many dips and bumps of defilade that it actually makes up for it in a lot of situations. End circles on Miramar tend to be way more interesting because of this, but a lot of players just assumed they were screwed, even there are a lot of straight up flat empty fields on Erangel that are way more deadly to run through.

Then there was a kind of bad feedback loop that ended up hurting it.

-People would hotdrop in the center to avoid boredom, esp because streamers did that to please their audience
-Half the players in the match would die on hotdrop
-The midgame would become extremely boring because everyone was dead in a huge map
-People would skip Miramar to avoid this
-People skipping Miramar would mean more open Miramar queues, which meant people felt like Miramar was constantly being forced on them even after Bluehole made it 50/50 chance
-People who stayed playing Miramar would try to avoid the boredom of Miramar by hotdropping

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
i wasnt aware they changed some stuff on miramar. i just stopped playing it completely after June/July.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017

Making of Vikendi video came out early.

You can see night mode, a blizzard mode (it basically looks like fog with more snowfall than usual), a close up of the Bizon with a holo sight on it at 5:02, and they mention another variant of the snowmobile (a single track/sled "bike" version) is coming.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017

Making of Vikendi video came out early.

You can see night mode, a blizzard mode (it basically looks like fog with more snowfall than usual), a close up of the Bizon with a holo sight on it at 5:02, and they mention another variant of the snowmobile (a single track/sled "bike" version) is coming.

PUBG in trailers always looks so much better than it actually is in reality.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Vikendi is a bit strange, like already said. I find so many sniper attachments but never any snipers. So many SMGs, rarely any assault rifles. Vehicles? Forget about it.

And i realized yet again that playing with randoms really, really sucks. I usually have a buddy or two to party up with on Xbox, but on PC I have nobody. It makes it tough.

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
First game post-update on Vikendi is a chicken dinner with 7 kills (Solo FPP).

Off to a wonderful start.

meepfx

Dec 20, 2017
Played this game a lot in early 2018 and I kinda burned out on it since I didn't enjoy Sanhok when it released, but I've been playing Vikendi on the test server and I feel like the game's got me hooked again. 4th map released and the OT is still going on 2 maps with a 3rd in development, might be time for some updates...

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, if anyone didn't play Test Server and wasn't aware, there's an annoying bug that made it to live: the game actually starts in windowed fullscreen no matter your settings. Either press alt+Enter twice once the lobby's loaded in, or open the options menu, select fullscreen windowed, apply (nothing should visibly happen), then select fullscreen, apply (the screen should blink for a second).

Windowed fullscreen usually has a noticeable negative framerate impact, so if you haven't done this and it feels choppier than normal, try it out.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I have an issue. My mouse starts drifting to the left and I have to alt tab like 5 times to get it back to normal.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
i just flubbed what could have been a really fun miramar solo win because the mutant is the fucking worst gun and bounces like shit

LuckyLactose

Mar 28, 2018
Ran into one of the most blatant cheaters I've seen in a long time today while playing a squad game. Alt-tab to check their stats while spectating -- 15ish K/D average in duos being among the highlights.
Attempt to alt-tab back to report --> my game client crashes, so I can't report them.
Since I crashed, there is no valid replay to report them from, either.

:(

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, does the Beryl suck or I just suck?
It's pretty bad, especially without attachments. And it bounces so much that ironsights feel like you're just hitting yourself in the face rather than being able to see anything.

I just had a really fucking weird round on Erangel. I slow chute down to a compound where someone else lands about 10 seconds before me, they seemingly don't see me, but all that's in my building is shotguns. I decide to be a little shit and just wait for them to come to me. They do, and I shotgun them three times at point blank, huge blood spurts each time, and they survive, vaulting out of the building as I hit them twice again as they run away. The weirdest thing is, they seemingly didn't have a gun???? There were guns in the compound, they just didn't have any out, and this struck me as so impossible that it's why I didn't chase them. I go into another compound that's partially looted, and find a guy who's straight up summer-2017-pubg prone in a bathtub on the second floor, possibly AFK??? They didn't move at all. The rest of the round isn't very exciting, but then I get to the top 10, it's the hill face northeast of Roz, and I'm swimming under the left bridge because there's a good spot to get into the next zone and ambush a guy I shot at earlier. I nearly have a heart attack when I see someone swimming next to me, heading to a better spot to climb up. My own spot is, apparently, 0.001 degrees too steep to climb up, so I swim back over to the other guy's spot, where he clearly saw me, right? Like he was looking directly at me while boosting up. Then he walks right past me up the cliff as if I don't exist. I wonder what the hell is happening and then decide "well okay, I'll just climb up that spot and shoot them in the back," at which point for absolutely no reason they immediately turn around, look over the rocks, and shoot me in the water.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I've touched some PUBG. I've got a new PC now so I'm thinking of shifting to playing more of this now that I can run it perfectly and have burned out on Fortnite. I really missed the more grounded nature of the pacing and combat here. Now to fiddle with my settings until I find something I like for visibility's sake. AA is the one that gets me most, I don't really want to set to low which seems to be FXAA, but every higher setting seems like a TAA solution of some kind, and the motion blur that comes from that is something I have a hard time tolerating.

Oh, if anyone didn't play Test Server and wasn't aware, there's an annoying bug that made it to live: the game actually starts in windowed fullscreen no matter your settings. Either press alt+Enter twice once the lobby's loaded in, or open the options menu, select fullscreen windowed, apply (nothing should visibly happen), then select fullscreen, apply (the screen should blink for a second).

Windowed fullscreen usually has a noticeable negative framerate impact, so if you haven't done this and it feels choppier than normal, try it out.
It seems the brightness resets to 50 on every boot and between matches too, though looking it up they're aware of it.