• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Quote from Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter

Seems pretty damming to me, and my experience has been even worse

Don't know if you are doing it on purpose but you got called out about a claim of 2-3 minute texture loading and have done nothing since but try and squirm out of the claim. It's the norm for people to get called out on bullshit posts, maybe in the future dial down the hyperbole and nonsense claims.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Keep the discussion on topic, and stay civil in discussion. Direct insults towards other users are not allowed in here.

Deleted member 11501

Permanently banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Don't know if you are doing it on purpose but you got called out about a claim of 2-3 minute texture loading and have done nothing since but try and squirm out of the claim. It's the norm for people to get called out on bullshit posts, maybe in the future dial down the hyperbole and nonsense claims.

There's nothing I need to prove apart from that fact I refunded it because it ran like trash and at a stupid low frame rate and and by the time textures has popped in I'm screwed at best 2 to 3 mins. I don't need to prove anything thing , MS gave me my own refund no questions asked because even they know it's aweful

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing I need to prove apart from that fact I refunded it because it ran like trash and at a stupid low frame rate and and by the time textures has popped in I'm screwed at best 2 to 3 mins. I don't need to prove anything thing , MS gave me my own refund no questions asked because even they know it's aweful

The only facts are that you got a refund and that you make ridiculous claims and expect people to just believe them because you say so. Good luck with that.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If I ran into 3 minutes of unloaded assets I'd definitely record it, because I'd be so (a) pissed or (b) amused at the absurdity of it. That's not me saying it didn't happen, and that WOULD suck combined with extended single-digit performance, but from my own experience and literally any of the hundreds of streams of the game running right now, that's not what other players are seeing. That's why some are taken aback.

Really stop being so salty , your prime game is running like trash, accept it or deny it, but there no point to dog pile because someone has had a shit experience in your perfect game

Is this a reference I'm not getting?

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

MS gives refunds for any game under the criteria of a) less than two hours of play b) within two weeks of purchase. I feel like sometimes the two hour thing is a little loose, just like Steam.

I gotta say though, I'll take your word for it since that's all we have at this point but the 2-3 minute thing sounds like some freak of nature happenings when at most we can see the long end of it being 5-10 seconds for most people for textures, probably about the same for geometry/building LOD's (which again, I've only seen once in 25+ hours of play).

Given that it sounds absurd compared to what everyone else has been seeing I don't think you should be shocked that some people confront the claim with disbelief.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11501

Permanently banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
The only facts are that you got a refund and that you make ridiculous claims and expect people to just believe them because you say so. Good luck with that.

Really stop being so salty , your prime game is running like trash, accept it or deny it, but there no point to dog pile because someone has had a shit experience in your perfect game

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
If I ran into 3 minutes of unloaded assets I'd definitely record it, because I'd be so (a) pissed or (b) amused at the absurdity of it. That's not me saying it didn't happen, and that WOULD suck combined with extended single-digit performance, but from my own experience and literally any of the hundreds of streams of the game running right now, that's not what other players are seeing. That's why some are taken aback.

Yeah, I don't see that claim being supportable whatsoever. The game runs poorly enough in plenty of areas that there's literally no need to resort to over-exaggeration and hyperbole.

Back on topic, had the unluckiest of late circles and got stranded on a hillside. Welp.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to pop in and say I bought the game three days ago and I love it. I don't think the game runs anywhere near as badly as I've heard people suggest. For example, a couple of podcasts I listen to have both said they don't recommend playing it on any of the Xbox consoles and I think they're crazy. I have the X and while the game has some issues with rubber-banding at the start of matches as well as some network issues here and there, I've been playing the living hell out of it and having an awesome time. I also have several friends who also bought it and they are a mix of X and S owners and each of them are as into it as I am. Three of them have powerful PCs and were all playing PUBG earlier this year and they keep telling me how crazy it is to see people act like it runs so great on PC compared to Xbox. I don't know firsthand as I don't really game on PC, but my friends play everything, everywhere and I believe them.

I think its a great game and while it needs some work to get it on the level of polish as something like Gears 4, I expect continued improvements as has been promised via PU and Xbox messaging. Even if that never happens, I am really happy with it and having a wonderful time. I encourage people on the fence to jump in and check it out. If you've been looking for something to scratch that SOCOM/Ghost Recon itch that has gone unattended for so so long, this is what you've been waiting for!

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Any tips for beginners? I feel lost.

Wear headphones

Don't chase other players down.

Avoid buildings that have the doors open.

Don't run across open fields unless you have to.

Patience can win you games.

Always consider actions that will give away your position such as firing your weapon, driving a vehicle, running through buildings and breaking windows.

First aid and bandages fill up your health to the level. Redbull and painkillers fill up the rest, so if you're hurt use both.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
So the consensus is that this is definitely a game to play on One X? Is there hope for One S players? I'm stilllll on the fence of buying a XBONE S just for this game lol. I want it so bad!! But I'll try to be patient and see how it improves in there. Maybe I can wait for a decent One X deal somewhere.

I play on the S and it's perfectly acceptable for me....have had very few issues since launch.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
So I've noticed something: There seem to be two different versions of the flyover/drop-off section. In one, you're able to fully swing the camera in front of the plane, in the other, you're limited to maybe a 3/4 view away from the nose. I think (?) the loading and performance on the version with full camera control is better, and continues through that match. That may be random and I'm just associating it, but the divergent camera behavior is a real thing.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have two friends on OG Xbone and they both say it is totally playable and they've been in and out of squads with me these last couple of days. If you are on the fence about it, go for it! Don't let PC snobs trick you into missing out on a really good time!

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely playable, even on the OG bone.

That being said, it sure doesn't save idiot user error:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/NH Apache/video/41024971

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/NH Apache/video/41025020

But when it clicks, it sure feels rewarding:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/NH Apache/video/41025027

And then right after you thought you did something good:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/NH Apache/video/41025087

Dat crossbow kill, holy fuck.

I couldn't kill a bloke standing 10 ft in front of me with that thing, he just stood there taunting me too, lol.

Qwik says the dvr has completely different resources and doesn't effect game play.

It was definitely placebo.

What actually happened is the servers improved.

If the same people had switched it off early this morning when it was laggy they would've said they didn't feel a difference.

.hacked

Dec 10, 2017
Got my 1st Chicken Dinner! I am one of the chosen now...

EDhDjMq.jpg

Last edited:

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Any tips for beginners? I feel lost.
Learn to spray (if you can, with a pad)

Duh tip. Use 3rd person to your advantage:

Parachute like a pro. All of this should still be valid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpFk3p_2Wk

Don't go prone all the time, especially not in open environments. Even if you think you're barely visible in all the grass, you'll still be a sitting duck since grass doesn't render from a certain distance. Go prone where you really need to. For instance in the last circles in a grassy environment without cover or where you're physically protected, like in a ditch or so.

Smokes don't always render the same for everyone either, i.e. you might think you're hidden in the smoke, but to your opponent you may not be. Just something to keep in mind, smokes can still be useful.

A level 3 helmet, even with a sliver of remaining durability, will save you from an instant head shot death, except for when you're not fully healed or if you're being shot with an AWM.

If you want to loot undisturbed, jump straight into a car & drive away from the first circle and flight path into a hot looting area. If you must, loot even after the first blue wall hits. It doesn't hurt as much, you have a car, you (hopefully have plenty of meds)

Always shop at Lidl (not Aldi)

SuperSplit

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

I turned off DVR and after the first 2 minutes in on the ground seems to run pretty decent. No doubt its been rushed for the holiday period, sure it will improve fast in the coming weeks, fingers crossed anyway.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished 9th after a terrifying game. I joined duo and was on my own from the start, immediately being chased into a house by a team. All I had was a smoke grenade and dropped it in a room.

One guy got in my face and I was stood on some furniture and we engaged in fisticuffs. I punched him to death, surviving with about an 8th of my health. I thought the game was over, knowing he had a partner somewhere...

The entire building quickly filled with smoke. I was giggling nervously as I couldn't see shit. Then I made out a figure crawling on the floor! I quickly punched him in the head and he died. He didn't know what hit him! I surveyed the carnage as the smoke cleared and couldn't stop laughing, still on next to no health.

I knew I had to make a move to try and get a gun. I legged it across a field for what seemed like forever, knowing for sure that a simple tap would kill me. I made my way to a small collection of buildings in a complex and saw someone stood in the open looking down his rifle over yonder.

I crept behind him, stopping only to pick up some boots and a helmet. Punched him in the back of the head and he was down. Must have been low himself. Had had the rifle and various healing things so I grabbed everything and ran to the next building.

I hid in the attic, healed and sat in wait. I got lucky with the circle closing in on me. Now I had the gun I felt like I had something to lose and was way more cautious. I chickened out and camped in the roof, only exchanging shots with one person as he cane up the stairs, then he did a runner.

My luck ran out with the circle and with chaos erupting around me I froze, running to the circle only when it was too late, as the blue swallowed me.

My heart.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Just finished second after a slow start. Dropped in to the mansion and got some good guns - Mini4 with 8x scope, AKM, pistol with silencer. Check the map...holy fuck there's a reason nobody is here, the circle is ALL THE WAY SW. Like half the circle is in the water.

Start running and wind up following a guy. He hasn't seen me and I'm not planning to shoot him, there's no point. Along the way though, a car comes by and the guy jumps out to shoot at the person I'm following...NEVER STOP FOR PEDESTRIANS. If he keeps going, we're both dead from the zone. He gets cocky and tries to get a kill, winds up with me shooting him dead and stealing his car. I even stopped by the person I was following and honked a couple times to see if he wanted a ride...he shot at me.

Ended up in the zone. Decided to get a boat and go get a crate that dropped. Was late to it, three other boats in the water just circling and switching out seats to shoot at each other. I head to shore, but when a boat stops in front of me to shoot at someone else I say fuck it and ram him. Again...mind your own business people...I wind up with my boat highcentered on his. He dies, but I'm stuck now. I swim for shore, ducking under every time a boat comes near and then slows down, wind up losing some health but I'm ok.

All but one boat leaves as the circle narrows. I swim into the circle and find his boat abandoned. I know he's in the rocks because there's no way to get up top. Have to hope the final circle includes at least part of the little cove we're in. I set up shop in the rocks, and it narrows in - and I'm in luck. The other guy is forced my way by the zone and I shoot him, but can't loot the body because it falls too far into the blue. I move into the second last circle with something like 10 people alive.

There's a ton of shooting and driving sounds from up top, and eventually it's down to 2...me and someone up top. Most of the final circle is in at the base of the cliffs, so I stick close to them hoping he'll try to jump down. He fires a grenade down, but it's nowhere near me...but doesn't follow it. He just sits up top. I start scanning around, moving farther away and wind up seeing him as he sees me...but he had the high ground, Anakin!

There's such an adrenaline rush when the game gets to the end that anything less than a win is so deflating :(

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
So the consensus is that this is definitely a game to play on One X? Is there hope for One S players? I'm stilllll on the fence of buying a XBONE S just for this game lol. I want it so bad!! But I'll try to be patient and see how it improves in there. Maybe I can wait for a decent One X deal somewhere.
It is perfectly playable on my S. The first 10 seconds once you land the textures may still be loading but once that is done the game is fine and most importantly very FUN.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
I just hope they can frequeantly update the game. I have had crashes on the Og Xbox and on the X, also the aiming feels junky (on pc it was junky on the beggining but better now, at leat for me) and those random frame drops...

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I'm playing on the OG and it's a bit rough, but playable. There's a lot of Twitch/Mixer/Youtube streams so definitely check those out before buying!

As for buying a S or X for this game, I would say check out some of the deals floating around.

Microsoft does have a deal today for a Xbox One S and a free game with 3 months of XBL and Game Pass: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...id=en_us_homepage_hero_1_Day12XboxOneS_171216

Just know what your getting into with PUBG. A few people have been disappointed by it. Expect rough gameplay, frame rate drops, crashes, mediocre graphics, etc. But underneath all that is a fun, tense video game. You could always wait a few months and see if game performance improves as well!

ibu

Oct 28, 2017
It is perfectly playable on my S. The first 10 seconds once you land the textures may still be loading but once that is done the game is fine and most importantly very FUN.

I concur with this. Initially it's quite janky... but it's definitey playable. Infact once you land it's actually not too bad. Actually smoother than I thought it would be.

For the record my experience is on a One S with the game on an external HDD.