• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As a reminder, Playground Games plans to grow to 400 employees. They will be a huge driving factor for Xbox moving forward.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gearing up hard for next gen Fable

I'm so excited this is happening

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a no brainer to expand, they are far and away Microsofts biggest asset in terms of game development. While all their other studios have stalled (some even receded), Playground have thrived.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy here we go

14548127.gif

giphy.gif

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While it's nice to see them diversifying, I really wish it wasn't Fable. Microsoft seem to be more in love with their own IPs than consumers are.

Fable is actually a massive franchise. All 3 mainline titles sold significantly more I think than many people realize. The franchise only declined because they didnt give consumers what they wanted, a true Fable 4 RPG. Instead they did weird Kinect spin offs and attempts at multiplayer titles.

A legit "Fable IV" RPG / reboot if handled well is going to be a multi million selling title

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I've said it previously, but this is gonna be such a top-notch studio going into next-gen and definitely one to keep in mind. Their open world design philosophy for the FH series has been pretty well done.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Fable is actually a massive franchise. All 3 mainline titles sold significantly more I think than many people realize. The franchise only declined because they didnt give consumers what they wanted, a true Fable 4 RPG. Instead they did weird Kinect spin offs and attempts at multiplayer titles.

A legit "Fable IV" RPG / reboot if handled well is going to be a multi million selling title
Yeah, i remember that Fable 3 (the worst of the trilogy) sold like 5 millions, that was really huge back in 2010
Also, people seems to forget what a reboot means.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017

Agreed. Fable has always been pretty big and still has a lot of potential. Combined with the talent at Playground it could be a great addition to the Xbox One (or next-gen) lineup...which Microsoft really needs.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Good. It's by far the best studio MS has. Can't wait to see what they cook up next to Horizon.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
new ip? these guys are routinely touted as wizards based on their work on the horizon series, and rightfully so. looking forward to whatever this studio puts out.

Oct 27, 2017

But by the time this new game releases, the last mainline Fable game will have been a decade ago. I'm not sure the brand will still have any cachet after than long (and some ill-advised spin-offs). Though it's Playground Games, and they've demonstrated they can make delicious chicken salad (The Forza Horizon series) from chicken shit (the idea of a more arcadey open-world Forza game for the years between major releases).

Its gonna be a reboot for sure. The name for sure still has some influence with people so makes sense to use it.
If its like the old Fable games? I doubt it.

A reboot that reinvents everything and just happens to use the name Fable would be a compromise I'm happy with.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I have a lot of negative feelings about the direction of Xbox in general.

This I think is one of those invariably good stories coming from Xbox though. I am wary of all the acquisitions spree they have gone on as I don't believe that quick buys lead to talent or producing strong games, but buying PG I definitely agree was the right move, they've gone on a different curve as far as maturing and delivering very fast.

FH is probably going to be the staple franchise for Xbox for a long time to come, just very popular and a technical showcase for the system too. I can't imagine Gears or even Forza proper meeting the same demand, maybe Halo with a very big splash though can be one and one with FH as the brand representatives.

I didn't know they were going to start for the new Fable series though, that's interesting. Hopefully they can start off with a solid title that's not too casual and not too hardcore so it can also add some variety into the WRPG landscape.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

343i are going backwards in terms of making Halo enjoyable to play. Turn10 are basically making the exact same game every other year. The coalition havent exactly set the world alight with their iterations of Gears. Undead labs made SoD2 worse than the original.

I just hope Ninja Theory and Compulsion games are given some extreme love.........

Then we have Playground Games, who make bigger and better games each and every time they launch a game.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
If they can somehow implement the seasons technology into Fable, could you imagine the seasons changing over the course of the game. A legitimate real time transitioning of the seasons as your progress on your journey. Most of the games have taken course over a long period of, the tech for Forza on the next generation would be even more insane!!!!

Nov 28, 2017
This could either be replacement talent for moving their Forza Horizon team vets to the Fable project, or direct hires for the Fable team if their studio heads want new people on board.

Also, given their portfolio (Forza Horizon - October 2012, Forza Horizon 2 - September 2014, Forza Horizon 3 - September 2016, Forza Horizon 4 - September 2018), there's a Forza Horizon 5 coming in September 2020 for Xbox One, or if MSFT releases a new console that year (and not 2021), for Project Scarlett (and B/C with the One X if they went by their statements earlier about "Forward Compatibility").

Fable could be a 2021 holiday title, assuming that slot isn't reserved for Coalition's Gears 6, as they follow a 2-year cycle too.

I really REALLY hope Playground's vision for Fable and Bowerstone is based on Molyneux's initial pitch (and MSFT approves it this time), Victorian Era london with trams/flying cars etc., characters like Jack The Ripper, Dr.Jekyll (Mr.Hyde) and of course, the good ol' british humor. This could very well end up being Xbox's Bloodborne, and far more sales as Fable is one of Xbox's poster IP's and the entry barrier for skill is not high.

Edit - Coalition's on a 3-year cycle, not 2. Got confused with the current year and Gears 5's launch.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This could either be replacement talent for moving their Forza Horizon team vets to the Fable project, or direct hires for the Fable team if their studio heads want new people on board.

Also, given their portfolio (Forza Horizon - October 2012, Forza Horizon 2 - September 2014, Forza Horizon 3 - September 2016, Forza Horizon 4 - September 2018), there's a Forza Horizon 5 coming in September 2020 for Xbox One, or if MSFT releases a new console that year (and not 2021), for Project Scarlett (and B/C with the One X if they went by their statements earlier about "Forward Compatibility").

Fable could be a 2021 holiday title, assuming that slot isn't reserved for Coalition's Gears 6, as they follow a 2-year cycle too.

I really REALLY hope Playground's vision for Fable and Bowerstone is based on Molyneux's initial pitch (and MSFT approves it this time), Victorian Era london with trams/flying cars etc., characters like Jack The Ripper, Dr.Jekyll (Mr.Hyde) and of course, the good ol' british humor. This could very well end up being Xbox's Bloodborne, and far more sales as Fable is one of Xbox's poster IP's and the entry barrier for skill is not high.

We are pretty sure FM8 is nothing getting a release next year. But a release in 2020 next to a new Xbox. Resulting Horizon also being pushed back.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

They'll need much more time than that, I would imagine.

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
343i are going backwards in terms of making Halo enjoyable to play. Turn10 are basically making the exact same game every other year. The coalition havent exactly set the world alight with their iterations of Gears. Undead labs made SoD2 worse than the original.

I just hope Ninja Theory and Compulsion games are given some extreme love.........

Then we have Playground Games, who make bigger and better games each and every time they launch a game.
Compulsion seem to be expanding thanks to Capcom Vancouver closing up, I can't wait to see their next game!

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
A stellar Fable and Halo game would solidify my purchase of the next gen Xbox or eGPU/Bootcamp set up.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
If they do Fable, I'm happy they're at least an English company to do so. Plus, they've been improving their open world stuff wildly and I'm guessing Fable will end up looking like the best open world RPG to date.

Oct 25, 2017