• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In an interview with Daily Star Online, creative director Ralph Fulton confirmed that Xbox One X will be the "lead platform" for Playground's next project, which is heavily rumored to be a new game in the Fable series.

Reflecting on the studio's currently undisclosed project, Fulton said, "Ease of development in the Xbox One X's make up provides a really great development platform," Fulton said, "not just for that console but also the whole family of devices and even PC." He also asserted that focusing on the X as a development platform means all Xbox One family versions will see improvement.

"[Xbox consoles] have always been good consoles to work on" Fulton said, "but in terms of the power the Xbox One X has on your desk, it's a fantastic bit of kit for developers."

I also found this quote in the Digital Foundry interview with PlayGround Games:

We are obviously beginning development on a new unannounced title right now. And the development platform for that game is Xbox One X, which is great for us, and ultimately for the players in a number of ways. First of all, it's great to develop for, it's incredibly powerful, it has more memory than we've ever had. So it's a great piece of kit to be developing your game on. And the easier and faster you can develop, the more things you can get done.

They also say that this will help them with developing for Xbox One S;

I definitely think that during development, we see trickle down benefits to other platforms we develop for, such as the Xbox One, or even PC. And I think that comes from the standardized unified test tools we are working on."

I feel like this is significant for a number of reasons: the most important is that it seems like Playgrounds' game will be coming to Xbox One. I know many speculated that it may be an Xbox Two game or whatever, but it is now clear it is being made for the Xbox One spec. The other important takeaway here is that Microsoft's internal games are apparently now being made for the Xbox One X spec, and downported from there to the Xbox One S. I don't know what this means in the long run, but it is interesting to consider nonetheless.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Makes sense to working higher and then go down on 1st party titles. Winds you wanna entice people to buy a X and that's usually the best way to do so.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I feel like this could either mean they're genuinely treating the X as the main platform, or this is just the line Microsoft asks all of their studios to use when talking about developing across the two platforms.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's talking about their next racing game coming this fall. The writer of this article seems to be throwing in the assumption this he's commenting on Fable, but their next Horizon racing game is also unannounced.

Regarding this "lead platform" talk, I believe this is mostly marketing speak to hype up people about the X hardware. I mean they released a PC version of Horizon 3.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
If it's not releasing for another 3-4 years I would rather that they develop it from the ground-up for the next Xbox.

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Lesser hardware shouldnt stop block technological improvements after a year. i hope all upcoming games base new hardware both pro and this

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That's good to hear. Get the most out of the better hardware.

I hope Playground is also making One X the main focus for the next Horizon game, so it can potentially be 60fps

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad microsoft is letter their studios work on different types of games. Let that creativity shine

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
He said the same thing in the Digital Foundry interview video. Their next project is obviously Forza Horizon 4, though.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely okay with this. I'd rather see future games maximize the hardware so people can see earlier returns on their investment in the X (or PC if you're me). If they're just starting with serious development on it then by the time it drops it'll be preferable to be on the X anyway. People with the standard One still get their games and people with the X gets their titles optimized for the system. Plus I'd imagine the downporting or whatever would help keep more people employed

I think Fable4 will be a cross-gen game.

I think this is a good bet too

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
I think Fable4 will be a cross-gen game.
Wouldn't that contradict what they're saying about developing for the top-level and then trickling down? Like if they're developing for the X and it's cross-gen than there's a discrepancy there. Obviously they probably wouldn't be able to say Xbox Two is the lead platform anyway though so idk

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's talking about their next racing game coming this fall. The writer of this article seems to be throwing in the assumption this he's commenting on Fable, but their next Horizon racing game is also unannounced.

Regarding this "lead platform" talk, I believe this is mostly marketing speak to hype up people about the X hardware. I mean they released a PC version of Horizon 3.

releasing pc version doesnt mean it is lead platform. its just more aa more res and some lighthing effects pumped up.

Ä°f a game truly developed on base as xbx it would have truly amazing features

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Good.
I wish MS would have made a clean cut and just added a new CPU to the X and started a new gen. $500 for a console that should have been a step forward instead of a reply to thw PS4Pro

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it has severe fps drops and very low textures just to get the game running on the OG xbone it will be pretty disappointing.

Just don't fuck this up Xbox...

So you want them to gimp game to make playable on og xbox 1 instead of truly creating something pushes boundaries?

Like titanfall and tomb raider ports some one could make a down port for xb1 base which looks and kinda feels like og product

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
releasing pc version doesnt mean it is lead platform. its just more aa more res and some lighthing effects pumped up.

Ä°f a game truly developed on base as xbx it would have truly amazing features
I can't think of a reason making the X "lead platform" is going to change things in any notable way, but I think they like to make a point of saying that to promote the X.

They already used lots of high end PC features in Horizon 3. It's not like the X has all these capabilities a PC doesn't. They're actually very similar things.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, is it time for Horizon 4 already?

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of a reason making the X "lead platform" is going to change things in any notable way, but I think they like to make a point of saying that to promote the X.

They already used lots of high end PC features in Horizon 3. It's not like the X has all these capabilities a PC doesn't. They're actually very similar things.

Targeting xbx as minimum would let them go with game design. So many particles,interactive cities with many and fleshed npcs, good ai system with top of that npcs that remember things. A city feels like real fantasy. Yes most of things only depend if base is very high.game is 99 percent gonna be 30 fps anyway. Textures and 4K mean shit real things are things i posted

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
That... disappointing? In 3-4 years, rather have this a real NextBox game, not held back by old hardware.

Legitmcfalls

Oct 25, 2017
Waterloo Ontario
So you want them to gimp game to make playable on og xbox 1 instead of truly creating something pushes boundaries?

Like titanfall and tomb raider ports some one could make a down port for xb1 base which looks and kinda feels like og product
Horizon Zero Dawn looks and plays great on 2013 base ps4. The Xbox One has plenty of power not to make a gimped version for the base edition of fable 4.

The problem I have with the X being the lead console is that they won't put the money into the earlier systems and just downgrade graphics/framerate/draw distance rather then making the best looking and playing fable game they can on the og/s consoles and have the X be the enhanced/enthusiast version.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
If the new Fable is 3~4 years away, it'll be for the next generation Xbox, not Xbox One or Xbox One X.

That said, I'm sure Forza Horizon 4 will come out this Fall for Xbox One / Xbox One X at the same time.

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn looks and plays great on 2013 base ps4. The Xbox One has plenty of power not to make a gimped version for the base edition of fable 4.
Horizon is pretty much plays like ass creed game. Npcs are folders. While vistas are cool and shit it brings nothing to gaming as medium because too busy pushing those graphics. Fable 1 and 2 to an extent were truly revolutionary games. Ai, living city atmosphere , open missions. You cant do both on limited hardware.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
Horizon is pretty much plays like ass creed game. Npcs are folders. While vistas are cool and shit it brings nothing to gaming as medium because too busy pushing those graphics. Fable 1 and 2 to an extent were truly revolutionary games. Ai, living city atmosphere , open missions. You cant do both on limited hardware.
Did you play AC:O?

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point if you have to be able to do everything the same in both versions? Like how the bat mobile in Arkham Knight was said to use as much memory as last gen systems (500MB) on its own, thus making it impossible on last gen without huge changes.

It's just recommended PC specs and minimum Pc specs, essentially?

Legitmcfalls

Oct 25, 2017
Waterloo Ontario
While Fable 1 brought some fantasy sim elements from pc to console, I wouldnt consider fable 2 revolutionary. Besides Fable 4 needs to concentrate on being the best Fable game it can be and not worry about revolutionizing the RPG genre.