• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense. Will probably be a 2019 release, and we won't see an Xbox Two until fall 2020.

Honestly, if any MS studio (first or second party) can make an awesome open world game, Playground is the one. Very excited, hope we get the Project Ego aging system we always wanted. I wanna carve my name in a tree sapling and still see it there 30 years later on the adult tree.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Outside of confirming it's not an Xbox Next exclusive, that's par for the course no? I'd assume all games MS is making would work from the 1X down. Sure Sony is doing the same with the Pro.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
From my understanding, this should mean the gap between X and S should widen, with Xbox One S games now looking slightly worse opposed to if the S was the base system.

Why would they look worse than the other way round.
It just means the type X versions will be better optimized and utilize more of the system as altering existing code up doesnt necessarily take advantage of new tech better.

The team knows what hardware they are working with either way.
Developing then porting down makes more sense because you get to achieve something closer to your vision then start downscaling till it works on type S.

How could you prove developing Down/up looks better than Up/down when you wont have any like for like way to test that?

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Is this even a thing?

Usually all games are developed in a PC environment and then at some point you optimize the fuck out of it so it runs perfectly on consoles. All that said, at some point Microsoft will have to say goodbye to the original Xbox One SKU and certain games will not run on X1 anymore. I don't know anything about what Playground is doing or Microsofts plans for that matter, so if journalists read this, please don't quote me on this, this is just my ignorant point of view, but I'd guess at some point we will see games that'll only run on Xbox One X and upcoming consoles and not on Xbox One anymore and if this game was just put into development and will only come out in, say, 3 years or so, we'd be talking 2021. By then the Xbox One would be 8 years old. Do we really expect games at that point to still run on Xbox One? By that point, I'm pretty sure we'll already either be talking about or have PS5s, Xbox Two's and maybe even new Nintendo Switch SKUs in our homes and even the current gen 'Pro' consoles will probably be pretty cheap to get. I could also see a future where you'll still be able to play new games on your original Xbox One SKU, but you'd have to stream them instead of playing em natively.

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this even a thing?

Usually all games are developed in a PC environment and then at some point you optimize the fuck out of it so it runs perfectly on consoles. All that said, at some point Microsoft will have to say goodbye to the original Xbox One SKU and certain games will not run on X1 anymore. I don't know anything about what Playground is doing or Microsofts plans for that matter, so if journalists read this, please don't quote me on this, this is just my ignorant point of view, but I'd guess at some point we will see games that'll only run on Xbox One X and upcoming consoles and not on Xbox One anymore and if this game was just put into development and will only come out in, say, 3 years or so, we'd be talking 2021. By then the Xbox One would be 8 years old. Do we really expect games at that point to still run on Xbox One? By that point, I'm pretty sure we'll already either be talking about or have PS5s, Xbox Two's and maybe even new Nintendo Switch SKUs in our homes and the current gen consoles will probably be pretty cheap to get. I could also see a future where you'll still be able to play new games on your original Xbox One SKU, but you'd have to stream them instead of playing em natively.

multiplatform games and console games were quite different until this gen. Still different i would believe considering pc ports of these game are just w10 apps ported over with some keyboard and graphics settings.Targeting a spesific hardware is much different than targeting all platforms possible one would assume

Legitmcfalls

Oct 25, 2017
Waterloo Ontario
Is this even a thing?

Usually all games are developed in a PC environment and then at some point you optimize the fuck out of it so it runs perfectly on consoles. All that said, at some point Microsoft will have to say goodbye to the original Xbox One SKU and certain games will not run on X1 anymore. I don't know anything about what Playground is doing or Microsofts plans for that matter, so if journalists read this, please don't quote me on this, this is just my ignorant point of view, but I'd guess at some point we will see games that'll only run on Xbox One X and upcoming consoles and not on Xbox One anymore and if this game was just put into development and will only come out in, say, 3 years or so, we'd be talking 2021. By then the Xbox One would be 8 years old. Do we really expect games at that point to still run on Xbox One? By that point, I'm pretty sure we'll already either be talking about or have PS5s, Xbox Two's and maybe even new Nintendo Switch SKUs in our homes and even the current gen 'Pro' consoles will probably be pretty cheap to get. I could also see a future where you'll still be able to play new games on your original Xbox One SKU, but you'd have to stream them instead of playing em natively.
Ori 3 confirmed Xbox one x exclusive ;)

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
To me it seems that Xbox One X is the lead platform for Forza Horizon 4, which will also obviously be playable on Xbox One, Xbox One S and PC. It's Playground Games' next game for the short-to-mid-term (base game this fall, probably DLC in 2019), while the new Fable game being 3-4 years out, won't be for the Xbox One family. Otherwise, if Fable is for Xbox One X it also has to be for Xbox One, and I don't think they'll compromise the game that far, unless Microsoft is willing to break off certain games for Xbox One X that don't run on the 2013 console.