• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan has expressed regret over a dismissive quote he made about older PlayStation games in 2017.

In an interview with Time, Ryan discussed seeing versions of Gran Turismorunning side-by-side on PlayStation 4, PS3, PS2 and PSOne. "The PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?" he said at the time.

Speaking to in the latest Axios Gaming newsletter, the PlayStation boss claimed that he had not made his point well, which was to emphasise how far the racing series had come since its early days.

"The point I was trying to make — obviously not very well — was just how great the PS4 version looked and how far the series had evolved. I certainly wasn't trying to be disrespectful to our heritage," he told journalist Stephen Totilo.

"I guess my big learning from all of this is that when Kazunori Yamauchi unveils the next 'Gran Turismo' side by side with its history, that I will keep my mouth shut."

Sony has been criticised in the recent past for not actively supporting its back catalogue of games. The PlayStation 5 only supports PS4 games natively, with select PS3 and PS2 titles only running via its streaming service PSNow.

In comparison, Xbox Series X and S run games from all previous Xbox console generations.

Sony also came under fire earlier this year when it confirmed plans to shut the digital stores for PlayStation 3, PSP and PS Vita, essentially making hundreds of digital games impossible to obtain.

After a backlash from fans, Sony later u-turned on the plans to close the Vita and PS3 stores, stating that it had made "the wrong decision" (the PSP Store will still close on July 2).

In the Axios interview, Jim Ryan reportedly pointed to PS5 launch game Astro's Playroom, in which players collect classic PlayStation items, as proof it supports its past.

"What is important to recognize when considering this question about designing a new platform, is that time, engineering resource, and money are all finite, and that important trade-offs have to be made in terms of what's included, and what's not," Ryan said.

www.videogameschronicle.com

PlayStation’s Jim Ryan wants people to know he doesn’t hate old games | VGC

CEO discusses notorious quote in which he dismissed older PlayStation titles…

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
I don't care whether or not he hates them, I just want to be able to play them on current consoles.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what he thinks about them, I want to be able to actually play them.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah then why didn't he personally write the code to make the PS5 backwards compatible with PS1-4 and the Vita with computer learned upscaling and ray tracing

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, he said on the same interview that Sony/PlayStation like the approach of remaking an old game and then continue with the IP from that. He mentioned Ratchet 2016 as example.

Well, it's too bad they had an entire store across multiple systems for buying old games. Sony doesn't have the resources to re-make every old IP, and in fact, many are not their IPs.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
actions speak louder than words, and I still have digital PS3 games, that I

1) can't play on a PS5
2) almost had the plug pulled on said PS3 games

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
5cypyo.jpg

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty obvious that was the point he is trying to make at the time, but as usually with these things they tend to be over blown. Saying that, actions clearly show how much they care/vision with regard to older games.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad he pointed to their commitment to their legacy by talking about Astro's Playroom
Exclusive to Ps5

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
"I guess my big learning from all of this is that when Kazunori Yamauchi unveils the next 'Gran Turismo' side by side with its history, that I will keep my mouth shut."

I know it's going for a ha-ha moment, but clearly nothing was learned. Like, if the first thing you say is "why would anyone want to play that?", for such a forward-thinker trying to focus on the new and future, wouldn't you rather say something like "wow look how far we've come!" I mean, clearly the first one was great for the time, but it's dumb to just look at the past and think about how bad it was. Past tech and all, but were enjoyed by millions at the time and beyond, and that's where he seems lost.

"What is important to recognize when considering this question about designing a new platform, is that time, engineering resource, and money are all finite, and that important trade-offs have to be made in terms of what's included, and what's not," Ryan said.

I mean, to a point I get this, but it also sounds like a big company going "we're cheap". There's lots of things that COULD have feasibly been implemented if wanted, but if that's not where the $$ goes, some don't want to cater to extra groups.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody cares about the literal words.

They're just used in a playful way to illustrate shortcomings with how the company has supported it's legacy games/BC. It's a meme to make a point or to make a joke out of something people see as a blunder. It's Ryan's "We have a console for those people…" or "get a second job". And, like those, it'll follow him around for the rest of eternity.

It's just a meme. Fun to see him actually talk about it though! Good on Totilo bringing it up. It must be awkward but great to see him see the funny side of it.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Ryan: ah, So u persecute me just because I hate old games? Do Tell. (gamers get mad at me) Sorry. Im sorry. Im trying to remove it

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, he said on the same interview that Sony/PlayStation like the approach of remaking an old game and then continue with the IP from that. He mentioned Ratchet 2016 as example.
The new remake seems like a shallow Cliff Notes version of that series though, so I hate that approach. Let us play the whole collection. But they've already made it very clear it's going to be PS now or nothing as far as that goes.

thankfully the new game seems amazing, so I guess sometimes we need to be thankful that our legacy is continuing at all. RIP Sly Cooper.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Of my many thoughts on this I do think it is actually hysterical that forums, gaming sites, and social media picked up this quote so much that Jim probably has had moments where he goes "oh god damn it" every time he sees it come up.

Still actions speak louder then words Jimbo

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the mafioso killing you after saying "just business, nothing personal".

It sure makes you feel better.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Then find a way to preserve your legacy content; just postponing the closure of the PS3 & Vita store for a year or two ain't it.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
Let us
Play
The Games
If we own them
on disc
Give us that.
We built them
And continue to support them.
Throw us a CD laser bone for Clanks sake.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Thinking back on early next gen rumours and when a small part of me believed the PS5 would have PS1 and PS2 back compat. Foolish of me really.

It's very weird to think the Vita was the last well made Sony O/S.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that game that features a lot of PlayStation callbacks and history from a studio they just shut down.
Yeah, it's nice that someone who cars remembers but it would need some actual follow ups for it to matter for the future. They've got old IP's and if most of them are on life support by Sony barely not killing the old stores then the confidence isn't that high. Cameos only go so far in showing your love. Also fucking Ape Escape, at least make them more available with a collection or something, i'd even take a VR exclusive, just exist please.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I believe Jim was being real honest about that, this is just him trying to save face now