• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
A follow up video to his previous. New news new thread.

Series X works too. MVG only has access to a Series S, though. Hence the title.

Still in active development btw. So not as stable.

The previous thread is more like a reference thread at the moment if you're more curious about doing this with your Series S or X. Link below.

Link

It's amazing how quickly this is happening.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried PS2 yet but I've been going through my Sega Saturn collection and trying them out (something that I wasn't able to do on my Raspberry Pi) and it's been dreamy.

Having Sega Rally Championship a button press away on my Series X is great!

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Was just about to ask a dumb question about playing PS2 games from disc instead of ripping the ROMS before I realised it doesn't have a disc drive.

Is this the first console that you can use as an emulation machine without having to install custom firmware? Could you do this with the PS3 FAT before Sony removed the other OS support?

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
How is this working? This is nuts
It's an emulator loaded on the console through the developer options. I think anyone can do it, you just need to request developer access and that's free. Not really different from what happens on PC.

I bet it's going to run PS3 games very well too as soon as they port rpcs3.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Really? How does this work?
From what i can tell (watched the earlier video), there is this emulator platform on windows that is UWP (universal windows platform). So you can pay 20 bucks to unlock dev mode (one time fee) on your series xbox and just install it and it runs pretty damn well. I think in dev mode you cant then use the console normally but once you unlock it you can change back and forth between dev mode and normal as much as you want.

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
Would the One X be able to run PS2 games well? I don't like the publicity this is getting, could end up with emulator suppor getting yanked?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The emulation on the series consoles is pretty awesome. If playing older games was something I cared about series S would be a great buy; just to use as an emulation box to stick under your TV.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 is quite buggy on the retail version of Retroarch and it pretty regularly is full stop turning off my console and or hard crashing the app without warning

that said

It's super early and I can't wait to follow this progress

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Keep in mind there are some noteable bugs.

For me now games load taking up only the top 1/4 of the screen and have to adjust the resolution for each game to fix it. Also the quick menu doesn't work in full screen mode just pauses the game.

And there are freezes and crashes and my xbox series x does run a tad bit shittier, so I make sure to shut down the apps completely if I'm not using them.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
MVG mentions there's legal issues in regards to Retroarch Retail. Should that build be avoided?

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I can't believe even buggy Xbox is currently a better playstation console than ps5, I assume PS3 is out of the picture but would it be possible to emulate PS Vita games?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I can't believe even buggy Xbox is currently a better playstation console than ps5, I assume PS3 is out of the picture but would it be possible to emulate PS Vita games?

It's more than powerful enough to emulate PS3, Wii U and Switch. All it'd take is dev time to port and optimize pre-existing emulators.

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anybody play that?

qydXjtM.gif

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Explain to me like I'm 5 how something like this is legal or allowed to be discussed here? I always assumed emulation was just games downloaded off a website like people use to do with the Nintendo ds.

What is the difference between piracy and how you get these games the legit way so I too can do things the legit way.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Neat.

Hopefully they can iron out the bugs and improve the performance and MS doesn't nix retroarch on retail mode. I'm getting a Series X but ngl this is kinda motivating me to get a Series S for my 32" tv in my bedroom just for the emulation lol.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Explain to me like I'm 5 how something like this is legal or allowed to be discussed here? I always assumed emulation was just games downloaded off a website like people use to do with the Nintendo ds.

What is the difference between piracy and how you get these games the legit way so I too can do things the legit way.
The law allows you backup copies of games you already own.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017

Emulators aren't illegal, downloaded ROMs are. There's nothing to stop people using this to play their own back ups.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you run these guys at higher resolutions on S|X, or only original native resolutions?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The law allows you backup copies of games you already own.
Yeah but how do you prove you already own it. Like i said talk to me like I'm 5. Say i have some old ps2 games buried somewhere in a closet at my parents. How do I emulate them.

How does that work for a multi disc game like final fantasy 7? Not that I would need to for that one since you can get that anywhere.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Emulators are considered legal. You need to rip your own games though. Downloading someone else's game backups or bios files is considered piracy

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Amazing, will def get into this when I get an S (whenever they're back in stock)

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but how do you prove you already own it. Like i said talk to me like I'm 5. Say i have some old ps2 games buried somewhere in a closet at my parents. How do I emulate them.

How does that work for a multi disc game like final fantasy 7? Not that I would need to for that one since you can get that anywhere.
Prove to whom? If you have PS2 games rip them using a computer with a DVD drive.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
This is amazing. Pretty crazy Series S can run some of these so well. Seeing Metroid prime working is amazing too. Totally worth paying the small fee to get this going.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017

You need to 'rip' the physical games you own with a ROM program to create a compatible ROM file to use with an emulator. Im fairly certain downloading ROMs from a website is illegal even if you own the game.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And we're just in the early stages of Retroarch and PS2 core emulation on Series X|S

Exciting times ahead.