• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sony needs to answer this question: Will PS5 Legacy mode run any game that runs on PS4 natively, without needing patches?

Boost mode not being 100% is expected and fine.

Currently no-one here knows for sure.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So we really going with only 100 games being BC? I blame Sony for not being clear but that is the worst interpretation of what was said and posted possible.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The fact that so many are confused on this shows how terrible the messaging was today and leading with a 'technical deep dive' isn't the best strat.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Guys, what's the verdict. Are all the games available, or only 100.
This is from their blogpost.

"Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time."

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Not being able to play my most of my PS4 games on PS5 would make me switch consoles.

As a huge PS fan.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if we have the lead system architect saying one thing and a blog post saying another, I'd the side of the architect. That's just me.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
As someone who was half-expecting them to backpedal on the BC, I'm glad that they at least confirmed almost every top 100 game running. Could be better though.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
I mean, the fact that the Sony's communication is so confusing probably means that only 100 games are expected to be compatible at lauch.

Aug 26, 2018
Without a patch it will probably be like on Pro. If there is a variable framerate or resolution it will have a fixed higher framerate and resolution. If a game is locked 30fps and fixed 1080p/1440p etc. it will need a patch to get to 60fps and 4K.

So biggest changes will be resolution/framerate. Got it, thanks. Already exciting.

What about other things like Anisotropic filtering, level of detail etc. Definitely some improvements there as well, guessing?

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
Cerny and the blog used the word "playable" instead of "boosted". Seems pretty clear to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a take.

most of not all games will work just fine. But there may be a few cases where some games just aren't compatible without a patch.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017

"Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time."
That definitely sounds like to me almost 100 of the most played PS4 titles will be playable at launch. Not that they just get boost enhancements, but are the only games playable too.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
" PlayStation 4 Backwards Compatability for PS5 won't be 100% at launch, PS5 too fast for some titles, tweaks and testing on game-by-game basis "

This was the original title lol, is this not true? Some PS4 games won't work at launch but BC coverage will get updated over time. This is the exact impression I got from what Cerny said on stream but ppl told me I was wrong lol.
Your original title was right. You should get it changed back, to avoid confusion.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Regardless of what the truth around PS5 BC is, this is a marketing disaster from Sony.
They need to provide further clarification and provide it quickly.

Also, what exactly are the Criteria for the "Top 100 PS4 games?"
-_-

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
" PlayStation 4 Backwards Compatability for PS5 won't be 100% at launch, PS5 too fast for some titles, tweaks and testing on game-by-game basis "

This was the original title lol, is this not true? Some PS4 games won't work at launch but BC coverage will get updated over time. This is the exact impression I got from what Cerny said on stream but ppl told me I was wrong lol.

My apologies then, I thought I read a headline along the lines of "only 100 titles BC at launch" but that must have been from comments made in the numerous threads. 👍🏻

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
what a disappointment. Not even full PS4 back compat.
and people were hoping for full playstation catalogue, lol.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
What a fucking mess... "legacy this" "boost that".. the "Top 100... mostly work"...

What terrible messaging.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Here's a take.

most of not all games will work just fine. But there may be a few cases where some games just aren't compatible without a patch.

Sony won't be allowing you to launch games that have not been tested beforehand, it would allow for (sometimes critically) sub-par experiences which shouldn't be tolerated in a console-like controlled environment. It's quite the same situation as 360 BC on Xbox One.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Owned all the PS consoles and never used BC on them even when I used to game for hours a day in pre-adult life. But sucks for the people that wanted that feature.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what the truth around PS5 is, this is marketing disaster from Sony.
They need to provide further clarification and provide it quickly.

Also, what exactly are the Criteria for the "Top 100 PS4 games."
This is not a marketing disaster. anyone saying it is fooling themselves.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

This is still confusing as hell

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I honestly thought Sony would knock BC out of the park to give their fan base no reason to consider switching during the transition period...

This is amateur hour compared to what ms is doing

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No, not even XB1 titles will be 100%. Like the PS5 it'll probably be 99%.
Phil Spencer's exact quote from the article he wrote makes it sound like all existing xbox one games, itd be really bad pr to say this and then it turns out not true, im pretty sure its all.

Four generations of gaming
: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you.