• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
It is actually incredible how Sony haven't immediately made a statement on this and are letting it run wild. I can understand that marketing might be understaffed right now but this unveil has been blunder after blunder in terms of messaging.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
This is somewhat related to bc, but has Sony even mentioned anything about their version of smart delivery? Some insider said they have their own but what has Sony said? Messaging has been unclear.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol while I'm sure most of the library will be playable how tone deaf is Sony right now. Maybe all the "arrogant Sony" trolling became a reality. Why they haven't thought to make a comment on the biggest story coming out of their conference. Are they not monitoring the news stories and comments coming out of this?

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Jim Ryan is failing as the new leader at PlayStation. His style of releasing snippets of info and going dark for months at a time is a shit strategy when your message is so garbled when you do say something.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
The person writing that article must have known that this was a false statement. Nobody is that dumb.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
See, we all pretty much know this isn't true but this is the kind of crap that this lack of communication has generated. Sony needs to speak up and offer correct details on policies and functionality.
This is almost as bad as MS TV TV TV and always connected moment from earlier.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Yall might laugh at the article but on PC the idea that we cant play a 7+ year old game because of hardware is pretty much unthinkable

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Do you honestly think that "The upcoming Playstation 5 will only play 2.5% of the Playstation 4's library" is true?

If so, then yeah, maybe I've overestimated the posters here on Resetera.

The PS Blog article contradicts what Cerny said, which is why this is happening.

There's a while thread dedicated to people arguing about the differences of what Cerny said and what the blog said. Clearly someone got the message wrong.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Almost all of the top 100 games they've tested will work. They've said this. It's right in the post you quoted.

They are also working on more games. But at launch they expect most of those 100 games to work.

No, it's that at this preliminary stage they wanted a sample group to test the backwards compatability. They chose the most popular games. Their test showed that only a few of the most popular games weren't backwards compatable.

It doesn't have anything to say about the amount of games they expect to be backwards compatable at launch. It only suggests that a small percentage (a few) of the total amount of games won't be backwards compatible.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Was poking around to see if Sony PR had given an update to anyone when I noticed this. That's at least 1 game confirmed.
www.resetera.com

Rainbow Six Siege Will Be "Backwards Compatible" on PS5/XBSX

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/14xqXHds0NTY2EzhED2NWo/rainbow-six-siege-creative-director-on-crossgen-play-and-major-operator-reworks We had previously been told there was going to be cross-generation play between the console generations for Siege, but I believe this is the first...

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I'm going to say something, at least thatwe can agree with, whatever your side is.

For now, in that little communication war, Microsoft always had the first move, and generally they create some positive bug with exciting ideas and facts.
Now Sony, they answer with ambiguous things. Not only it's not the first time there is a a grey area that triggers debates online (remember the hardware RT), but the worst is that Microsoft is not compared when they unleash infos, when Sony is immediately in the comparison and doubts...

What i'm saying is, they better upgrade their pr skill quickly.

More info

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Business Insider (by way of Yahoo):
"We recently took a look at the top 100 PlayStation 4 titles, as ranked by playtime, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PlayStation 5," the console's lead architect, Mark Cerny, said in a "deep dive" video Sony published on Wednesday.

The company committed to further expanding out compatibility "over time" in a separate blog post, but it will only support about 100 out of over 4,000 games at launch — or about 2.5%.
The PlayStation.Blog post in question:
Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.
Neither Cerny's presentation nor the blog post are saying "Only 100 PS4 titles will play on PS5 at launch."

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Jim Ryan is failing as the new leader at PlayStation. His style of releasing snippets of info and going dark for months at a time is a shit strategy when your message is so garbled when you do say something.

For real, it's absolutely baffling. Just do a normal presentation and state things clearly instead of this easily misinterpreted drip-feed.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The PS Blog article contradicts what Cerny said, which is why this is happening.

There's a while thread dedicated to people arguing about the differences of what Cerny said and what the blog said. Clearly someone got the message wrong.

Ok, How about you? Do you believe that "The upcoming Playstation 5 will only play 2.5% of the Playstation 4's library?"

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so are you guys saying PS5 actually does have full BC? I don't understand this quote now that everyone is saying everyone else interpreted it wrong.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Mindblowing how with all the confusion going around Sony still hasn't put out a statement yet. Sony's marketing department is a fucking disaster right now.

We'll get something tomorrow hopefully. Can't see the silence thing working for them for too long this time (though it's worked brilliantly 'til now). Hopefully they'll kill this stuff before the weekend.

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
Ok, here's what Cerny actually said:

"Running PS4 and PS4 Pro titles at boosted frequencies as also added complexity. The boost is truly massive this time around and some game code just can't handle it. Testing has to be done on a title by title basis. Results are excellent, though. We recently took a look at the top 100 Playstation 4 titles as ranked by playtime and we're expecting almost all of them to playable at launch on Playstation 5."

He's talking about PS4 games running on the PS5's boost mode, imho.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Wow thats really bad, yikes.

Cant believe sony fucked up on BC so badly. Its a big deal for many. Its sad (but expected) that ps5 wouldnt have BC with ps1/2/3, but not even full ps4 BC?? Oof wtf...

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017

Could I get a link to the contradiction?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
He literally said 100 at launch with more to come as testing goes on

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do you honestly think that "The upcoming Playstation 5 will only play 2.5% of the Playstation 4's library" is true?

If so, then yeah, maybe I've overestimated the posters here on Resetera.

I do believe the pr statements put out on the sony blog and from a high up employee at the company, yes.

It'll probably play more than a hundred, but not a significant number more. It certainly won't be anywhere near the full library. They can't even guarantee the top 100 titles are all going to be, direct quote "playable at launch on PlayStation 5".

If it was just playable in a boost mode or some other specific, they would have, you know, said so.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
giphy.gif

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Far as I know, PS5 doesn't have full BC unless I'm mistaken. That's how I've read literally every update on this. It's like less than 100 games tested, with more on the pipeline to be added. So basically I can't stick Ys VIII in my PS5 and it work.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope the "100 games" issue is a failure of marketing and it is fully BC with PS4. Right now I'm expecting the 100 games and that is a huge turn off.

If Sony comes out and clarifies this and says ALL PS4 games will be BC at launch, I will put the PS5 back on my radar for a launch purchase and not a few years down the line on Black Friday.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, How about you? Do you believe that "The upcoming Playstation 5 will only play 2.5% of the Playstation 4's library?"

Personally? I think it would be incredibly stupid on Sony's part if that was what ended up happening so I obviously think it's not the case.

Their messaging is absolute garbage and for average joe, what they're hearing right now because of that messaging is that the PS5 might not play all their PS4 games while the Series X would (with their Xbox games).