• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Guys, what's the verdict. Are all the games available, or only 100.
This is from their blogpost.

"Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time."
That to me reads that it's system level support where virtually all of the 100 games tested pass, and there fore the likely the same ratio of the entire library pass, while titles that don't might need to be patched on a case by case basis.

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what the truth around PS5 BC is, this is a marketing disaster from Sony.
They need to provide further clarification and provide it quickly.

Also, what exactly are the Criteria for the "Top 100 PS4 games?"
-_-

it says they tested the top100 games based on playtime. It doesn't say they had to do anything special.

I'm assuming most games will work. They just tested these 100 and it showed No issues. Some games might simply because of this being new hardware etc.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Console warring
Hah. Sub 100 PS4 games on PS5

OVER 100 360 games worked on XB1 when they launched their BC programn.

news.xbox.com

Introducing Your First 104 Xbox One Backward Compatible Games - Xbox Wire

At Xbox, we believe that gaming is universal and should be enjoyed by everyone, everywhere. Our philosophy since launching Xbox One two years ago has been to put gamers at the center of everything we do and create the best, most seamless gaming experience possible. We’re taking a major step...

Sony really pissing in the corn flakes with this news

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it's so confusing is exactly some of our points. This was a communication MESS

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
That definitely sounds like to me almost 100 of the most played PS4 titles will be playable at launch. Not that they just get boost enhancements, but are the only games playable too.

Yeah, it's very confusing. Cerny is definitely talking about boost mode in the talk but that blog post seems to contradict him.

I'm going to assume they'll correct it.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Guys, what's the verdict. Are all the games available, or only 100.
This is from their blogpost.

"Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time."
This confirms that at this time, PS5 is not fully BC with PS4. Of a sample of 100, almost all will be "playable".

WOOF.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
Wow, really terrible messaging, and disappointing BC isn't going to be straightforward. This will have a big impact on when I buy the system since I have so much more to play on PS4. And based on the past, there's no reason to be confident that Sony will make big improvements to BC over time either.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Anyhow I think some of you are overestimating how much of users' library are going to be affected. Most of current PS4 players won't even see a difference in their daily usage at launch if the 100 most played games (which should mean most GaaS games etc) are available at launch period.

Obviously, we will be noticing it much more as niche core/hardcore gamers but the available library should be expanding at a quick pace, depending on Sony making it a priority or not.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
This new title is fine, but Sony really needs to come out and clarify this further.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Well, my excitement for the PS5 has dropped considerably. Unless they have some great feature announcements they're planning to unveil at a later date, I think I'll put off my PS5 purchase until FF7R2 at the earliest.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I know there's some confusion with PS4 BC....but is it confirmed that PS3, PS2 & PS1 BC is off the table?

Cerny and others haven't said anything but judging from the pic shown by Cerny, unless things change, only PS4 and PS4 Pro game enhancements will be BC. This doesn't take into account if that 100 number means only 100 PS4 games at launch will be BC or soemthing else

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait so people were originally right now? That all ps4 games won't be there. The ps blog seems to say that.
I don't think they are, the truth is we just don't know but it seems like it will have ps4 compatibility and it sounded like there was a top 100 games were boosted and the rest were playable.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer's exact quote from the article he wrote makes it sound like all existing xbox one games, itd be really bad pr to say this and then it turns out not true, im pretty sure its all.
He never says all and they won't ever say that or 100% as that would open them up to a lawsuit if there was even 1 game that didn't.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Id be lying if i said i wasn't a little dissapointed. I think microsoft said that all existing xbox one and any 360 or og back compt games would run on the series x. Im confident that sony will improve this service and that more games will come over, but to start with the offerings are a bit meager in comparison to their competition

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs to pay some studio to do the Bloodborne enhancement. Lot of good will if they get this right.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since they've only talked about top played PS4 games, how low are the chances for stuff like Gravity Rush 2 to be BC?

Its really disappointing. Full BC with PS4 was a big selling point for me since I didn't own that console and even if the launch lineup isn't amazing I could've picked a lot of exclusives I didn't play yet.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Since they've only talked about top played PS4 games, how low are the chances for stuff like Gravity Rush 2 to be BC?

Its really disappointing. Full BC with PS4 was a big selling point for me since I didn't own that console and even if the launch lineup isn't amazing I could've picked a lot of exclusives I didn't play yet.
It's not that it won't be BC. They've simply tested the top 100 so far and a couple have had issues.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The single biggest thing I was hoping to learn was BC implementation and I can't say the little information we got about it was exciting. :/

I never should have convinced myself Sony was saving its legacy catalog for the PS5.

Specs look fine. But man. I don't know. I wanted this to be a "PLAYSTATION" in big letters that unified years of the brand in to a single new machine. If PS4 > PS5 was perfect that would be something but so far that's still unclear and confusing.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017

At launch, evidently very low. However, over the life cycle of PS5 products, I would guess that Sony games, even the less popular ones, should be amongst the most obvious ones to make the transition.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The whole "testing process" and "expanding BC" could be in the leadup to launch from now till then though. Nothing explictly states that is strictly post-launch though getting 4000 odd games ready for launch seems super unreasonable. MS spent the better part of this gen working on the BC stuff with a dedicated team so this ain't the kind of thing that you just muster out of thin air.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Countless times I have argued on this forum how bc is not a given with consoles because they are not like PC. And here we are now.
I hope they can improve on that, I'm not going to buy the system if not every PS4 game I own will run on Ps5.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
They said based on playtime.
But is that like total playtime overall? Average playtime per user?

If it's total playtime, games we know were tested with pretty much 100% certainty in no particular order
Fortnite
GTA V
COD (all of them)
Madden (all of them)
2K (all of them)
FIFA (all of them)
Red Dead Redemption 2
Destiny
Destiny 2
Minecraft
Apex Legends
Overwatch? (Would this be more PC centric?)
Battlefield (at least 1)
Rocket League

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
It doesn't matter what they've said, it won't be 100%. Not even the GBC was 100% BC with the GB.
Actually they have in fact said all xb1 games will play on x with the ONLY exception being kinect only games. So if you wanna count that vs the thousands of games instantly playable (some even getting enhanced with ray tracing etc) on XSX then sure lol

So your right xbox back compat for series x is 99.999999999999999% of xbox one

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had kinda made my peace with no PS1/PS2/PS3 BC, since the PS2-on-PS4 re-releases made it pretty clear Sony didn't have any interest in supporting older games in a way that they couldn't get a second purchase out of it.

However, I didn't foresee Sony being unable to commit to full PS4 backwards compatibility, and absolutely opens the door back open for Microsoft. Especially if it turns out that there's no general backwards compatibility, and only a selection of PS4 games work, which will pale in comparison to the Series X's "everything that runs on a Xbox One will work from day 1" commitment.