• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The XB1 and 360 had entirely different system architectures. Considering that, a ton of work went into getting 360 games to work on the XB1. The shift to x86 was supposed to make full BC a given, but I guess Sony is still having some issues.
I get that. They worked hard and made a good effort. Doesn't change that I can't play all my games. The Xbox One is not BC, it's compatible with select older games. It's not a replacement for an Xbox 360 for all users. It depends on their taste. I play a lot of non-mainstream titles myself.

I didn't mean to insult MS or downplay their efforts. I just think PlayStation gamers (big PS fan myself) should expect more than 25% of their PS4 games to be compatible with the PS5. It is a different situation now than it was with The One and 360. If the PS5 has a similar level of BC with PS4 as the Xbox One has with Xbox 360 games then that is borderline inexcusable to me.

Microsoft's efforts are not half-assed, the level of compatibility/end result/solution is.

Last edited:

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
lol no. PS5 native means PS5 games.... The PS4 "modes" are simply the logic.. Where do they even say "boost mode"... they say "boost in frequency"...

There's no boost mode.

Yes. The boost in frequency is exactly what I'm talking about. Those are PS4 games running at PS5 frequencies. Anyway I'm done with this thread, Cerney is the only one who's stated anything reliable here and I think he was pretty clear that he was talking about games supporting the additional performance of the system. We'll see who was right soon enough.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really need to released a detailed overview of the BC soon. This is confusing, if you take Cerny's words in the briefing you can easily interpret it as those top 100 just being a sample they tested and not the only ones at launch.

"Running PS4 and PS4 Pro titles at boosted frequencies has also added complexity. The boost is truly massive this time around and some game code just can't handle it. Testing has to be done on a title-by-title basis. Results are excellent, though. We recently took a look at the top 100 PlayStation 4 titles as ranked by play time and we're expecting all of them to be playable at launch on PlayStation 5. "

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They really need to released a detailed overview of the BC soon. This is confusing, if you take Cerny's words in the briefing you can easily interpret it as those top 100 just being a sample they tested and not the only ones at launch.
That quote isn't even accurate lol.. he said "almost all".. what are people doing?

Robert81

Nov 2, 2017
I was hoping the PlayStation vr games I bought would get a little graphics improvement on ps5. That's not going to happen. I doubt that any vr games are in the top 100.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
So do you think we will have to buy same game again on PS5 if it exists on both? That's something I think people will want answered asap with the upcoming releases that are likely on both platforms now that there is no full BC.

What xbox is doing pretty much means that there is one version of say cyberpunk on xbox and you just buy that it scales with console you play it. PS5 situation is not so clear. PS4 version might not boot on PS5 and if it does it works in legacy mode and there is probably a separate PS5 version. I think that means you have to buy it twice.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping the PlayStation vr games I bought would get a little graphics improvement on ps5. That's not going to happen. I doubt that any vr games are in the top 100.
You shouldn't rule anything out yet. Sony has confirmed that the PS5 is compatible with PS VR and they have not confirmed that the PS5 won't have full BC with all, or almost all, PS4 games in the end. We're at a point where this could turn out perfectly fine in the end or a complete shit show in terms of BC. We'll have to wait and see for now.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
www.yahoo.com

The upcoming Playstation 5 will only play 2.5% of the Playstation 4's library. Microsoft's new console will play the vast majority of your current Xbox library.

With the PlayStation 5, many of the games you purchased on the PlayStation 4 won't move forward, Sony announced on Wednesday.

• In a new, hour-long video detailing the console's internals, lead architect Mark Cerny revealed that — despite previous statements to the contrary — the PlayStation 5 will only play a limited selection of PlayStation 4 games: Just 2.5% of the PS4's library will work on PS5.
  • Sony says it "will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time."
  • Microsoft's next-gen console, the Xbox Series X, offers backwards compatibility going all the way back to the original Xbox.

More at the link.

Sony's PR should probably start saying something, preferably ASAP.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
That is pretty disgusting if true.

What so freaking hard about adding some backwards compatibility.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
This seems like just a misinterpretation of Cerny's quote. It's a fairly common one, to be honest

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
This is bullshit. They tested the top 100 games, and said that a few didn't work. They did not test the entire library. We have no idea how many it'll actually play.

At least that's how I had read it. Am I wrong?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Its March

The console doesnt even come out for a while, do people think Sony just tested 100 games and called it a day for now?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Cerny said they TESTED the top 100, and that the vast majority work. He did not say only those 100 will work.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Cerny say they tested 100 titles not that PS5 will play 100 titles?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
www.yahoo.com

The upcoming Playstation 5 will only play 2.5% of the Playstation 4's library. Microsoft's new console will play the vast majority of your current Xbox library.

With the PlayStation 5, many of the games you purchased on the PlayStation 4 won't move forward, Sony announced on Wednesday.

More at the link.

Sony's PR should probably start saying something, preferably ASAP.

What are they supposed to say? "Yeah our bad, we will revise our plan and have the other 3900 games supported at launch too". That's obviously not going to be possible.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
"We recently took a look at the top 100 PlayStation 4 titles, as ranked by playtime, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PlayStation 5," the console's lead architect, Mark Cerny, said in a "deep dive" video Sony published on Wednesday.

What were the three sentences he said before that? Oh, I'm sure it doesn't matter.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
i thought it was ~100 games that would run in boost mode and the rest would just run the same as on a PS4 Pro

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They took a pretty terrible approach with messaging backwards compatibility. If they weren't willing to commit to specifics, then they shouldn't have tried this bizarre "Well the Top 100 games are definitely working" approach that is open to wildly different interpretations.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is gonna have to issue a clarification one way or another. I'm impressed it hasn't already happened.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Perhaps the single biggest reason for me not buying the console at launch is this. As someone with thousands of dollars worth of PS4 titles in backlog, and as someone who let go of hundreds of dollars worth of PS3 titles as backlog because PS4 lacked PS3 BC, I refuse to buy a piece of HW that lacks the same dedication to BC as MS atm at launch.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
The Big Question has to be if it can play Bloodborne. That's literally it. That's the one game.

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely more than that. Sony needs to respond before it gets worse. Didn't they say almost all games would be available, with the majority being at launch?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Mindblowing how with all the confusion going around Sony still hasn't put out a statement yet. Sony's marketing department is a fucking disaster right now.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Platform Warring
Many, Sony Defense is in full force in this thread already.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
We already have an active, 41-page thread on this OP waiting on Sony to clarify things

www.resetera.com

PlayStation 4 Backwards Compatability for PS5 won't be 100% at launch, PS5 too fast for some titles, tweaks and testing on game-by-game basis

I get that. They worked hard and made a good effort. Doesn't change that I can't play all my games. The Xbox One is not BC, it's compatible with select older games. It's not a replacement for an Xbox 360 for all users. It depends on their taste. I play a lot of non-mainstream titles myself. I...

Honestly hope this article forces Sony to actually clear shit up. Them not saying anything after all of this would certainly be curious eh.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What a fucking shit article. Literally just took Cerny saying they tested the top 100 PS4 games and twisted it.

Sony really needs to come out and clarify that's going on with BC because they'r doing a terrible job. Or at least say if Bloodborne's working because that's all everybody cares about.