• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you agree that Ps4 is a beast ?

• Yes

Votes: 870 69.7%
  • Don't read too much into the Ps4's sales

Votes: 256 20.5%
  • What took you so long?

Votes: 122 9.8%

• Total voters

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Took me long enough to get one (hello there bloodborne launch) but man what a fantastic console it is. Except for the fisher price china knock off build quality. Well deserved Sony.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
ThosePleasedBlackbuck-size_restricted.gif

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
My response was kinda a joke cause of that article that came out actually trying to argue this point, lol. I should've put a /s
My bad. It's really hard to tell the sarcasm these days, unfortunately, since such sentiments are earnestly suggested often

All console sales information that are obtained from financial earnings are sell-in numbers. All of them.

As it should be. Shareholders don't give two shits on whether or not people buy them from a store. They care whether or not the manufacturer got the money for it.

KnightOwl

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to PS4! Man looking at that chart, if Nintendo had the foresight to put out a Wii HD in that year 4 or 5 time frame, who knows what kind of numbers it could have actually done. What a crazy stall the Wii had in year 5.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yet some people are talking about how Sony is gonna "fail" with the ps5 and how it's stupid of them to bet on having exclusives and a strong software lineup....makes no damn sense to me.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Man seeing all these GIFs brings back memories. It's really been 6 years huh? The Banderas memes, people freaking out about calling the XB1 the Xbone, people ruining stores. Feels like so long ago. I hadn't even gone to college back then!

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That's hugely impressive given the "consoles are doomed" brigade just before this gen began.

That said, Nintendo and Microsoft made this task much easier for them between Wii U and XBO. Sony basically had no real direct competition for most of this generation.

I wonder what'll be the excuses next gen.

Fun times ahead.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The hell??? Where did you find those glorious gifs?
lol. did santa monica make that or is that a fan gif?
Holy SHIIIIIII

Hahahahhahahahahah
Gif of a lifetime award 🥇

This gif has been on era since the GOW OT. It's not mine but I do believe it was made by SSM (but don't quote me on that.) I just thought it was appropriate for the 100 million sold thread lol

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
A clear sign that traditional consoles are dying.

The future belongs to breath operated mobile streaming rental services you wear on your ankle. Embrace it.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Congrats to PS4! Man looking at that chart, if Nintendo had the foresight to put out a Wii HD in that year 4 or 5 time frame, who knows what kind of numbers it could have actually done. What a crazy stall the Wii had in year 5.

Wii really stalled bad. It could easily have had a couple of years of stronger sales left if Nintendo had given it more support.

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing success. Many congrats to everyone involved over at Sony. Fully deserved, it's a great console.

I remember predicting that PS4 would hit 100M a few months before launch but that was total so I was off. Dunno if it'll hit the PS2 high in the end but this is an incredible success and once again shows console gaming ain't going nowhere.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Crazy to think because the ps2 and wii felt much more ubiquitous Imo.
Nah it's found everywhere. In Netflix now and Hulu shows they use DS4. When gaming icons are used its shaped like a PS pad. And I think the hardcore gaming community is probably larger now so there's much more youtubers/forums/blogs on gaming than just your typical grandma knowing about the Wii. Those casual fans not only out their Wii's in the closet but now they are on mobile.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
For me, it is the best console that I ever had so I'm glad they are successful (especially since Xbox One and especially Switch are also selling well). With PS3, I was considering jumping to PC, now I'm happy with just PS4.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It's amazing how people get so emotionally invested in these figures. I thought we had left that behind on gaf. Just trying to have an honest discussion and not go gaga over headline figures.

You know you don't get paid by Sony for defending them?
Every single milestone thread is a bunch of people that use the shit being discussed happy the shit they use is popular lol. You been around since GAF so you know what it is...don't click on the thread guy and let ppl have fun.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
It still plays the exact same games. It's no different than any other mid-cycle revision.
It really isn't. It pushed people who got 4k TV's to sell off the standard ps4. Whereas with the PS3 Slim people bought it who hadn't bought a PS3 before or the old one stopped working. It didn't alter how you played PS3 games

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
this can be said about every successful console though. Sony has sold nearly 450 million home consoles since they entered the market. You don't have three 100 plus million consoles just entirely relying on competitors incompetence.
Obviously. And I didn't say that, just that it makes it easier when you don't have a direct competitor in sixth gear.

Just like Xbox 360 saw success on its own merits, and not simply just because PS3 was expensive at launch. But it helped.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It really isn't. It pushed people who got 4k TV's to sell off the standard ps4. Whereas with the PS3 Slim people bought it who hadn't bought a PS3 before or the old one stopped working. It didn't alter how you played PS3 games

There will always be enthusiasts who jump on new models despite the fact that their current model still works perfectly fine. This isn't a situation unique to the pro, it just happened to be a slightly more alluring revision.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I really think PS4 is their best console. Better than PS2 even. I fully expect it to surpass PS2.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The most popular console at the time at a point when gaming is more popular/mainstream than it has ever been beats sales record by small margin. Sounds about right. *Not downplaying that it's an achievement by any means*

Jan 17, 2019
The PS2 and Wii didn't have essentially next gen systems under the same name release half way through their lifespan. The PS4 has been and incredible system but its very tough to compare sale charts to previous consoles.

But in same time-frame PS4 cost a lot more, difference in price is bigger >150$ compared to Wii and PS2.

Yeah but the ps4 never really had the supply issues that the wii and PS2 had. You couldn't find either of those consoles readily avaliable the first two years of their lives!

PS4 surely had a supply issues globally in its first year. That's a hard cold fact. In my country ( launch was in Mar. 2014 ) supply issues with PS4 lasted till Holidays 2014.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
We had supply issues for a whole year of release but only in the case of the Pro. Slim was still regularly stocked.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The most popular console at the time at a point when gaming is more popular/mainstream than it has ever been beats sales record by small margin. Sounds about right. *Not downplaying that it's an achievement by any means*
*Not downplaying that it's an achievement by any means*
*goes on to downplay achievement*
If it's so easy why didn't the XOne or the WiiU do the same? Why isn't the Switch comfortably beating the PS4 instead of keeping up with it? gaming now is bigger than it was in 2013 so that's how it must work, right? If anything console gaming is shrinking... by A LOT.

What you just said makes no sense, and just appears like an attempt to downplay even if you didn't mean for it to be.