• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you agree that Ps4 is a beast ?

• Yes

Votes: 870 69.7%
  • Don't read too much into the Ps4's sales

Votes: 256 20.5%
  • What took you so long?

Votes: 122 9.8%

• Total voters

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
It's actually my least favourite of the four PlayStations... but props to Sony. Phenomenal achievement. The amount of money they make via PSN is insane too.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
The PS2 and Wii didn't have essentially next gen systems under the same name release half way through their lifespan. The PS4 has been and incredible system but its very tough to compare sale charts to previous consoles.

Nah thats damage controlling.
Those systems that came out mid gen, came out at a higher price than what the original was selling for at the time. Plus the mid gen refresh was for a niche market in 4k. thats not going to sway numbers like that, considering 95% of the systems being sold are the regular PS4. no way you can damage control 100 million being sold

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
I struggle to think of an exclusive line up more impactful to me as of late.

PS3 rivals it for me.

What a fucking console.

Sony did was MS should have... made a successor to the 360 and... added killer exclusives.
To me PS3 was better but it could be because i dont have the time to play as many games as i used to, Idk but i put thousands of hours into Warhawk, Motorstorm trilogy specially Pacifit Rift, Resistance trilogy, the superb Killzone 2 multiplayer mode, Fat Princess, ModNation Racers, LBP and of course the single player games Like God of War, Uncharted series, inFAMOUS series, Ratchet and Clank games, A Crack in Time still remains in my top 10 favorite games of all time! , MGS4 and so on... Ps4 i enjoyed way less games but i havent really had the time to play as many though. Horizon amazing, The Last Guardian amazing, Uncharted 4 amazing, God of War EPIC!, DriveClub really good and i still play Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer whenever i feel like playing for a bit.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This includes pro sales?

I don't know that I have strong feelings about the PS4 but it's certainly better for the time than the PS2 was for its time.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Where and when are these shot..lmao

I think most of them are from Europe and MediaMarkt in particular, Germany, France etc.

Made a thread on GAF back in the day with lots of GIFs.

84ce86a89037163f2.gif

Last edited:

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
They're still doomed though, their success means nothing when they'll have to survive against the mighty Stadia. RIP Sony, your age is done, might have well sign up for bankruptcy.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a really good console imo. Not my favorite ever, but I wouldn't bat an eye if someone enjoyed it as much as PS2 or SNES.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I hope Sony continues to lead the pack. Outside of rockstar they are the only company left willing to offer high production value single player games with an actual narrative. These games also only ship when they are actually finished. Hopefully this doesnt change for ps5

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there's anything wrong with that title. It's very difficult to project success (and it's magnitude) accurately so far into the future based on just day 1 sales. X1 also had a big launch.
Except the speed at which they sold was a good indication of high demand, which wasn't the case with the XB1. There were some Day One XB1 units that were sitting on store shelves for a month or two after launch.

Anyway, a very cool achievement. 2013 was such a wacky time. Wii U flopping, Microsoft shitting the bed, so many people declaring consoles dead (including some Nintendo fanboys who were desperately making excuses for the Wii U flopping) and then there was the PS4, which got everything right.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Legit insane that it beat the red hot Wii to that milestone

then you realize it was the console of choice when Fortnite and GTAV ruled the world and it starts to make more sense

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
??? It's 25% cheaper than it was at launch (with double the storage), and it goes on sale for 199-249 USD regularly.
It only did the 199 price point for Black Friday week for the last two holidays and sold through the limited shipments before the week was even over. It has been 249 a few times through the year but never consistent.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Except the speed at which they sold was a good indication of high demand, which wasn't the case with the XB1. There were some Day One XB1 units that were sitting on store shelves for a month or two after launch.

Anyway, a very cool achievement. 2013 was such a wacky time. Wii U flopping, Microsoft shitting the bed, so many people declaring consoles dead (including some Nintendo fanboys who were desperately making excuses for the Wii U flopping) and then there was the PS4, which got everything right.
I'm talking about determining the magnitude of long term of success after 24 hours. Not a month or two later. I definitely wouldn't have bet money on PS4 being the fastest console to reach 100m units sold 24 hours after its launch or even it being the market leader consistently for 6 years.

X1 had a smaller launch day than the PS4 but it wasn't terrible or indicative of the extent of the poor performance (in terms of units sold) they've had this gen.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
None of this matters. Streaming will crush everything. Cause the entire world has uncapped and reliable internet and if it doesn't "who would want to live there." /s

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I love this. This means more games that I like will get made in the future. Cheers to everyone! 🍷

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's very impressive. Especially considering the kind of talk that was going around at the beginning of the gen.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I'm talking about determining the magnitude of long term of success after 24 hours. Not a month or two later. I definitely wouldn't have bet money on PS4 being the fastest console to reach 100m units sold 24 hours after its launch or even it being the market leader consistently for 6 years.
It was the biggest console launch in history. No-one would've predicted it'd be the fastest console to reach 100m but long term success? That was pretty obvious on day one.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope both PS, XBox and Nintendo are firing on all cylinders next gen. the fact that 2/3 have been doing so well this gen has been fab.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
First of all BACK OFF Jim Ryan!

I wasn't downplaying other than stating a fact that I'm sure the majority of people on this board who have a Pro (which I am one), probably had a standard ps4 before them. Its just a point that needs to kept in mind when discussing this.
Same could be said about Slim models too. Lots of people who had a fat PS2 got a slim.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved

Amazing library - one of the best ever.
Also nice specs, at least on pro.

If only Sony could produce a console that is also well built next gen. The pro model must have the worst cooling system in any console ever.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thia is amazing news but let's not forget that recent article.

The current Sony strategy won't work for next generation.

Lolz

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
That's hugely impressive given the "consoles are doomed" brigade just before this gen began.

That said, Nintendo and Microsoft made this task much easier for them between Wii U and XBO. Sony basically had no real direct competition for most of this generation.

As opposites to the PS2, which to compete versus those behemoths of selling machines - the original Xbox and the GameCube...

The fact that the xbone is just under half that number and the switch an amazing seller as well makes this even more impressive. The PS2 had it easy In Comparison.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
The PS4 always felt like a statement of dedication to gaming fans during a time when everyone else seemed to be prioritising the wider market. Wonderful news that it's been such a success and I feel far more confident in the future of the type of single player games I enjoy because of it.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It was the biggest console launch in history. No-one would've predicted it'd be the fastest console to reach 100m but long term success? That was pretty obvious on day one.
Maybe I'm just more risk averse with my money and predictions than most. To use the X1 launch as an example again, I think it had a better launch than the 360 but its market performance has been much weaker. It would have been incorrect to predict that X1 would outsell the 360 based on that.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I will be surprised if it doesn't surpass the PS2.
It won't. I expect the PS4 sales to drop off a cliff after the PS5 comes out unless Sony can do the unthinkable and release a sub $100 PS4. The PS2 sold an insane amount over its lifetime thanks in part to it being exceptionally cheap later in its lifespan. I don't think we'll ever see a PS4 that cheap.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Threadwhining and Antagonizing Other Users
It's amazing how people get so emotionally invested in these figures. I thought we had left that behind on gaf. Just trying to have an honest discussion and not go gaga over headline figures.

You know you don't get paid by Sony for defending them?

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when console gaming was over because the WiiU flopped hardcore. That sure was a time.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
As opposites to the PS2, which to compete versus those behemoths of selling machines - the original Xbox and the GameCube...

The fact that the xbone is just under half that number and the switch an amazing seller as well makes this even more impressive. The PS2 had it easy In Comparison.
To be fair Sony has always had it relatively easy with the sole exception of last generation which saw more consoles sold than any other thanks to all three home consoles seeing success (and that doesn't even factor in PSP/DS sales on top).

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
That is fundamentally different as the innards were the same. The Pro is a different machine.
Sure it's different but it still contributed to a lot of people buying more than one console. Which really doesn't matter much because usually when people get a newer version they sell the old one or it goes to a family member in their house so it still ends up in a new client's possession.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Smh first reply is not "PS4 is a Beast", we have been building it up for years now.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
To be fair, often times American gaming journalists in general seem completely disconnected from reality when it comes to writing articles about the PS. You're already seeing it happening with the PS5.

I used to think it was because Sony was a "Japanese Company", while Microsoft was very accessible to Bay Area writers. But the Playstation division of Sony became much more Americanized during the PS3 era. Lots of gaming writers got jobs at Sony and so on. Yet the weird disconnect remains.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
To each their own and everything but I can't imagine playing games and never having owned a Sony console, unless you are strictly PC obviously.

Skipped the Playstation for a Nintendo 64, Skipped the Playstation 2 for a Dreamcast and later a GBA, and when I ran out of games to play I moved to PC until the Wii released, and then it's more or less been Nintendo consoles since.

But this isn't the thread for my personal console history. :P

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The PS2 and Wii didn't have essentially next gen systems under the same name release half way through their lifespan. The PS4 has been and incredible system but its very tough to compare sale charts to previous consoles.
The Wii was that for the Game Cube though.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
That's hugely impressive given the "consoles are doomed" brigade just before this gen began.

That said, Nintendo and Microsoft made this task much easier for them between Wii U and XBO. Sony basically had no real direct competition for most of this generation.

this can be said about every successful console though. Sony has sold nearly 450 million home consoles since they entered the market. You don't have three 100 plus million consoles just entirely relying on competitors incompetence.