• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just realized that There's almost as many ps plus subscribers as their are Xbox ones sold. Isn't Xbox around 30-35 mill?

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Remember that the NPD coverage is from November 26 and not December 1 if you want to make some estimations about US sales.

Alebrije

Oct 27, 2017
So the 5% less than 2016 could mean PS4 it's on mature stage, like half the road. Guess PS5 will be around 2020.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So HW down/Software up at the same period YoY isn't a bad result especially when it's the best year ever. Firmly now believe it will get to that magic 100m mark in it's lifetime. Also that PS+ split just proves how much business sense it makes to charge for online in the console space.
It declined yoy, probally because Switch took gamers and game community by storm.

2018 will be a rough year for Sony.
Sales threads never disappoint!

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
100M is an easy target for next year. one X + Switch & only a 5% drop. No new hardware next year + massive property bundles (GoW, Spider-Man, RDR2). They'll probably make that 5% up.
If you're taking the entirety of 2017 into account, PS4 sales aren't down but rather up by around 15%.

Deleted member 26462

User requested account closure
Oct 30, 2017
You are right sir.
We know it sold very little in Japan, PS4 is very strong in Europe but I doubt it would sell more there, I would think equally.

I think i've made a mistake, because NPD counts from 25th of november (cybermonday week), probably those 3,6 millions are closer than we think.

Btw, 308K PS4 sold in Japan since nov 27th, let's do the math.

I'm curious about those europe numbers for PS4.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Units aren't all that important though. Sales volume is great and all but it's about the amount of profit you're making on those sales that matters.

People need to stop putting so much emphasis on the number of boxes sold.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Because It will be the first time PS4 has competition since lauch, with Xbox One X and mainly Switch.

Software for PS4 in 2018 seems to be ok, but we will have Pokémon and others heavy hitters out PlayStation 4.

Why not both? I mean the switch makes an awesome handheld. They've managed to surpass the Vita just hardware wise (and it's Nintendo and they have pretty consistantly done well with handhelds so I bet it will get the software. And it even looks like Nintendo will get some western third party support this time as well as japanese support as they already are doing very well in Japan from what I hear).

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I think i've made a mistake, because NPD counts from 25th of november (cybermonday week), probably those 3,6 millions are closer than we think.

Btw, 308K PS4 sold in Japan since nov 27th, let's do the math.

I'm curious about those europe numbers for PS4.
Do you know how Ps4 sold in the same timeframe in 2016 in japan?

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Why ? They have the biggest games and biggest third party marketing rights with the $199 ps4 coming.they will be more than fine
this year the Switch won't be supply constrained and its the first full year with the Xbone X. The latter won't matter much I don't think since 2 gens ago, Xbox's power didn't slow Ps2 down at all

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks to Wikipedia for the below - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4#Sales

upload_2018-1-9_1-0-29.png

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Units aren't all that important though. Sales volume is great and all but it's about the amount of profit you're making on those sales that matters.

People need to stop putting so much emphasis on the number of boxes sold.
PS+ Subs are really all that matter, them alone are probably absolutely eclipsing the money even peak PS2 was making.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I have a ever seen a console that keeps going up every year, and they still have that $199 under their belt.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Actually it sold more in December 2016 than in December 2017.

That's literally slowing down.
A 3M total increase for the year even though they were don't 300,000 for December, indicates a strong year round performance. The holidays aren't the only season in play for the PS4.