• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thoughts on the design?

• I like it

Votes: 3,174 48.9%
  • Meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Votes: 1,366 21.1%
  • Bad

Votes: 1,947 30.0%

• Total voters

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the presentation last night then had a quick look around Era before going to bed. I'm sure I saw images of it in black last night but I can't seem to find them now - are they out there or did I imagine it?

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I have slept on it and have stared at it a bit this morning I can now say I like it, the digital version only though, that bulging disc drive just disrupts the look in my opinion.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I think Sony just made a conscious decision to distance itself as much as possible from xbox understated image and show themselves as futuristic to make the competition look more of the same, older and uninteresting. It seems this all started with the PSVR that was also black and white with blue accents so I think at some point they saw they were going to be the only console manufacturers going into the VR market and they used the opportunity to set their whole brand apart from the competition.

I still think it's kind of very predictable/ generic looking futuristic aesthetic that is very reminiscent of other consumer electronics in the past.

But for me the real problem is how bad it looks horizontally. As an architect, the PS5 really seems designed as if it was a building and when placed horizontally it just looks wrong. The beautiful lines, curves, proportions suddenly all just fall apart and feel unnatural.

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018
Now that I have slept on it and have stared at it a bit this morning I can now say I like it, the digital version only though, that bulging disc drive just disrupts the look in my opinion.

I mean it's pretty clear which was the design decided on first, and then someone went "wait we need a disc drive"

edit: on the plus side, they definitely placed it in a way to likely make it very easy to remove/replace when the motor/laser/anything in that drive fails, looks like it might actually be under the white shell more than is an actual part of the inner chassis

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think the problem is in the front part, the black part, other than the LED it lacks detail, there's really nothing to it, it looks like a cheap black plastic covered with another cheap white plastic.

From the sides looks better but you're not gonna put the console like that if you're using disks.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
ps5-render-cropped.jpg

www.cnet.com

Sony's PS5 design is 'bold, daring and future facing," PlayStation CEO says

The PlayStation head, in an interview with CNET, discusses the new PS5 design, launch games like Spider-Man, and pre-orders.
Looks great from this angle. It also doesn't really look that big compared to the controller.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
I believe it's a kind of diffuser. Some era engineer come set me straight.

It's currently in style for sportscars to have large, showy diffusors.

0747c1cffef267c01559ce4b3754152a.jpg

It's effective at manipulating airflow and can make for a ...Lavish... design choice to attract attention. Lavish, stupid, brillant, routeresque. Lazy tho? Cmon.

The PS5 is really lazy. Look at how unincorporated the disc drive is.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
The XSX has one exhaust at the very top of its vertical design, which is as far as it can be from its intake due to being a vertical column. With PS5, it has its air exhaust (and maybe intakes as well) dotted around both the outer edges, so you want to expel air away from its central body and channel it away, and try to minimise hot air recirculating back in and being thermally inefficient. We also don't know of its internals and cooling layout.

And its not about the amount of silicone packed, but power consumption and heat dissipation (high clocks, fixed power) which we have not been told. And if you want to measure cooling efficiency, then you are going to need a whole bunch of metrics besides size, which we don't have. Like APU temps and delta from ambient temperatures, noise output, fan speeds and so on.

And as mentioned already, feel free to hate the design, You asked a question and I answered it. Take it or leave it and move on.

I'm making a logical assumption in the same way people were with the scale between it and the series X.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I always thought that my problem is this goes against Sony's design motif...but look at the Xperia Agent concept from 2016 which is Sony's idea for a robotic home hub...
xperia-ft.jpg
www.digitaltrends.com

Sony's Cute Little Concept Robot Could Control Your Home

Sony's globe-headed little concept 'bot, the Xperia Agent, wants to turn on your lights, tell you the news, and beam your video calls to your table.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I prefer the digital Version, but i dont want to rebuy all the PS4-games i have on Disc. In a perfect world, Sony implements a system to see if you own the physical Version and then let´s you download the game for free (i know thats not possible due to stuff like reselling the games afterwards and keeping the digital copy but well ^^)

Also, the general aesthetic shouldn´t come as a surprise if you look at the last "new" Playstation-related Hardware that Sony released:

PSVR_Title.jpg

The PSVR fits way better in the new PS5 Ecosystem visually than in the PS4 line.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Looks slick. At least they're taking a chance. Gotta have a weird one every now and again. PS2 was perfect, and then you have the Foreman grill, PS4 is perfect, and now you have the Sim City future skyscraper.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
I'll keep my opinion on the design until they show the slim model in 2-3 years cause that's the one I'm gonna get. I've never been a base model person.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I created a mockup turntable, as I said there, no proper side or back view so it's still guess work, but the front side was made according to the USB port + disc drive size comparison that someone created here.

I'm kinda liking it tbh :P

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the fins are there because they knew it would be a big bastard and people would shove it into a too small space, thus blocking the venting. This thing was already going to run hot as is.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giving us just another black rectangle would have been an easy out- glad they went for something more striking - that is unmistakably different.

And like the DualSense - all the naysayers will come around - fear is a natural reaction to change.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
[QUOTE="RogerL, post: 36648958]
Compare the width of the area not shown with the width of XBox - one big fan at top
The only thing you can fit on the back is one or two tiny fans, but suppose there are no fans... could that be reason enough for not showing it?
[/QUOTE]

That would be an engineering marvel. I don't see it. I'd love to be wrong, though!

We need more pictures. And a video of someone getting their hands on it. Tested, perhaps?

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
But for me the real problem is how bad it looks horizontally. As an architect, the PS5 really seems designed as if it was a building and when placed horizontally it just looks wrong. The beautiful lines, curves, proportions suddenly all just fall apart and feel unnatural.
Sony has this long tradition of designing consoles to look good with one posture and from one angle only.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
No you look at the disk drive. The way it's incorporated.

Just say it's ugly lol. Lazy Sony is back!
I did say it was ugly. In fact its so ugly I find it offensive that Sony feels its acceptable to have it in peoples homes to look at for the entire console generation.

Babadook

self-requsted ban
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It's one of my favorite designs in terms of shape, but the size is just too big (much like the XSX). For me, if it was as loud as my PS4 and the size of a PS4 it would be perfect but I can see why many people would prefer a larger system with quieter fans.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I was all over that digital edition, but today I remembered that I even have disc-based games in my backlog, so I will maybe get the edition with a disc-drive after all.

Anyway, are there some mock-ups with size comparisons to PS4 yet? Judging from the ratio of length to the disc tray the console is wider in length than the PS4. Don't know about higher. I just remembered the thread from like a week ago where someone leaked that PS5 will be way bigger than PS4.
Edit: Nvm, found one already on the last page. I need a bigger TV cabinet.

Last edited:

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I created a mockup turntable, as I said there, no proper side or back view so it's still guess work, but the front side was made according to the USB port + disc drive size comparison that someone created here.

I'm kinda liking it tbh :P

Oh wow it's that big! I don't know what I thought in my mind. Holy....

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I find it to be really ugly. In fact if it wasn't for a few exclusives and the likely inevitable support from devs making shmup games, I'd probably give it a pass.

But as it is, I'll be there for HZD and the Souls games.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the reason is that they haven't shown the back of the system yet. PSVR2 related maybe?

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I've been around for launches of consoles since the 1980's and I think when you get the console in your presence, it will come together nicely so all the hyperbole aside, it's a very elegant design and most who even drive by will probably eat their words when this thing is out. Premium comes to mind.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been around for launches of consoles since the 1980's and I think when you get the console in your presence, it will come together nicely so all the hyperbole aside, it's a very elegant design and most who even drive by will probably eat their words when this thing is out. Premium comes to mind.
I am kinda assuming the opposite? Like, if you enjoy this console design right now, you will probably be disappointed when getting this in your hands.Those thin white shells sandwiching the console will feel cheap if it's the same plastic Sony has been using for the PS4 this gen. And if the black part is the same kind of glossy plastic on the launch PS4, that would look cheap too.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
^^ Almost every console which I questioned looked much better in person. To each his own but I've been through this enough to know what is a sincere constructive critique and the other end of the spectrum.

That being said, there's nothing from that CG render that says anything but what the shape will be like. I am almost sure that the initial model will be the one with the least compromise similar to the preceding Sony consoles. And it seems like the guys and gals have learned a lot about efficiency and cooling from past mistakes.

Unmoses

Mar 22, 2018
At the end of the day, I'll have both like I've had every generation (and more than 2), but from a design standpoint this feels over-designed to me. I don't spend time looking at my consoles while I play them, and my gaming area isn't part of my house "presentation" as it's in the man cave, but damn this is pretty hard to swallow visually. Doesn't really matter but jesus

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^^ Almost every console which I questioned looked much better in person. To each his own but I've been through this enough to know what is a sincere constructive critique and the other end of the spectrum.

That being said, there's nothing from that CG render that says anything but what the shape will be like. I am almost sure that the initial model will be the one with the least compromise similar to the preceding Sony consoles. And it seems like the guys and gals have learned a lot about efficiency and cooling from past mistakes.
I honestly hope it does. I remember being very into the PS4 design when they unveiled it at E3, but I thought it felt very cheap when I picked one up on launch.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
the teardown of this thing should be interesting, what if the motherboard is between the two vents with 2 rows of fans on each side

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Love it as long as its silent. If its not silent I would have rather had a big ass box like the Series X.