• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Probably both.

We know they hired a lot of people with experience in multiplayer games, Simon Larouche (director of Rainbow Siege Six) is heading a new team, the studio has gone from 250 people to +400, and they wouldn't do that just to release another Horizon....so something is in the works for sure, mb another Killzone, maybe a new IP, but surely mp related

Or the PS5 gives them the power to create some kind of huge Horizon Zero Dawn battle royale multiplayer mode with robot dino's that you can ride etc.

I'm not seeing them make a fully fledged Killzone game again.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be surprised if they had another Killzone title for launch as it wasn't a huge critical success and I imagine they'd want games that don't carry the weight of a mediocre previous entry as their launch titles. Same goes for Knack!

I think the price will be £399.99 in the UK. Anything over £400 is a much tougher sell to people and they're likely going to have much stronger competition from Microsoft this time around.

The world doesn'r revolve around the UK mate, so if it's $499 it will be 499€ and hence between £450-£499.

And that goes for both the PS5 and the next-Xbox, so not advantadge in prioce for any of them

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I7? those configurations in laptops are like $1700! I'm looking at. Surface right now.

sure this this is gonna costs $500??! I'm guessing it might be $600

Don't forget Intel tax lol. They've had a problem with high prices for a while now. Instead look at the Ryzen 3700x. It's a much more reasonable $350ish depending. And that's a very similar CPU to what we'll be getting. It is an excellent CPU, not quite as good for gaming as an i7 although, like, barely.

Although of course in consoles, the boxes will need to run them a lot cooler, which means lower clock speeds, which means the CPU doesn't quite have to be as good. Heck I believe it would mean they'd have an easier time with yields since even if a piece of silicon can't run at the rated speed for a sold desktop CPU at 3.6 or whatever it is GHz, it wouldn't matter because they'd only need like, idk lets say 2.4GHz. I'm talking a bit out of thin air here but you get the general picture. We won't get literal top end CPUs in terms of performance per se, but we will get the same architecture, basically the same CPUs in general, just a bit slower in order to fit in a console. Should result in something a bit cheaper for Sony and Microsoft.

Also, bulk pricing. If Microsoft and Sony can get AMD bulk product for something they kind of basically already make, and don't even require a ton of R&D on, you bet they're going to get a MUCH better price for them.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
Probably both.

We know they hired a lot of people with experience in multiplayer games, Simon Larouche (director of Rainbow Siege Six) is heading a new team, the studio has gone from 250 people to +400, and they wouldn't do that just to release another Horizon....so something is in the works for sure, mb another Killzone, maybe a new IP, but surely mp related

With Ben McCaw (Lead Writer on Horizon) becoming their second Narrative Director in May with Jonh Gonzalez, i will not be surprise if the game of Simon Larouche is not just a multiplayer game.

Oct 27, 2017
potentially. The console CPUs are likely to run slower and have less cache, so some brute force on pc can be applied. And maybe '8 cores' is really '6 for games' (hope not)

an 8/16 core cpu would be a safe bet but you may be fine

worth looking at GpU and SSD too
Thank you. I just upgraded my GPU to a 2070 Super so I'm fairly comfortable with that, and I have my OS on an SSD already. My only area of concern was my RAM which, though I have 32 Gb, is like DDR4 2666.

I've had this CPU for about 1.5 years now, so I don't want to be running PS5 or Scarlett games at like 30 fps or anything. May need to keep my eyes on an upgrade as news comes out. Thanks again.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Or the PS5 gives them the power to create some kind of huge Horizon Zero Dawn battle royale multiplayer mode with robot dino's that you can ride etc.

I'm not seeing them make a fully fledged Killzone game again.

You don't double your workforce for just a mode though, because you'll have double the expenses and a mode wouldn't pay for that.

I see bot an Horizon on the one hand, and a MP title on the other, that could last for years, GAAS etc.

I could see them going TLOU2 route and releasing a Factions like game, i.e a multiplayer game based in the world of Horizon like you say, riding dinos etc...but let's be honest here, even if possible that's not very probable.

A new Killzone or a new, more mainstream IP, with guns etc, is the most probable outcome. Maybe the new SOCOM that has been rumored

With Ben McCaw (Lead Writer on Horizon) becoming their second Narrative Director in May with Jonh Gonzalez, i will not be surprise if the game of Simon Larouche is not just a multiplayer game.

That would be even better

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. I just upgraded my GPU to a 2070 Super so I'm fairly comfortable with that, and I have my OS on an SSD already. My only area of concern was my RAM which, though I have 32 Gb, is like DDR4 2666.

I've had this CPU for about 1.5 years now, so I don't want to be running PS5 or Scarlett games at like 30 fps or anything. May need to keep my eyes on an upgrade as news comes out. Thanks again.

It's really going to even depend. Honestly your RAM is probably fine for now, especially with that size. I would not upgrade until DDR5 is even a standard anyway. Your CPU is very high clocked and probably perfectly fine for a while, same with your 2070. You are probably good for a few more years before you'd do any upgrades.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could see the results of the surveys Sony assuredly conducted to gauge feedback with hypothetical price points for PS5

Oct 25, 2017
Counter-Strike would be sick at launch. I still have fond memories of playing the 360 version on console and I think that was the last time it was on console.

zephiross

Mar 27, 2018
Might be a bit Oot, but now that we know PS5 is a 8 core 16 threads console, what would be the better upgrade from a 7700k between a 3700x/3800X and a 9700K ? ( 16 Gigs of 3000Mhz DDR4 and RTX 2070 to play at 1440p ultrawide and 4K )

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
PS4 launch titles were underwhelming. Would be better if they (and MS for that matter) could muster up a killer app, something like a Mario 64 or a Halo CE.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You don't double your workforce for just a mode though, because you'll have double the expenses and a mode wouldn't pay for that.

I see bot an Horizon on the one hand, and a MP title on the other, that could last for years, GAAS etc.

I could see them going TLOU2 route and releasing a Factions like game, i.e a multiplayer game based in the world of Horizon like you say, riding dinos etc...but let's be honest here, even if possible that's not very probable.

A new Killzone or a new, more mainstream IP, with guns etc, is the most probable outcome. Maybe the new SOCOM that has been rumored

I thought guerilla is on record saying they want to release game sooner. Which is why they're adding a lot more people on their team. So instead of 200 people making 1 game in 5 year, its be 400 people making a game in 2 or 3 years.

I think I read that somewhere

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Don't worry about numbers or anything: an important part is getting a proper treatment next gen, and that's really good news.

Long story short, the CPU is the main "brain" of the computer. It handles AI, game logic, some physics, etc. It is what ensures the game world runs. The GPU (graphics card) just draws it all and puts it on screen, although the lines can sometimes be blurred from a layman's perspective. But still, the CPU is very important, and a low end CPU will bottleneck a system. Unfortunately, this generations of consoles were just really unbalanced with shitty CPUs. Heck, a really bad CPU can even bottleneck your storage system even if you get an SSD, because it isn't even fast enough to process the information coming from the SSD. It'd have to be really bad to do that, but I mean, that's where we're at.

Okay so

Think about a netbook, like, a shitty super thin laptop, in like, 2011. Imagine two years later you use THAT CPU in your next gen console. Imagine that hardware still being in use clear into 2020. That's what we run our games on. Would you try to use a shitty netbook from 2011 for gaming? Lol. Giving it a good graphics card can only do so much.

Whereas this time we will getting high end deskstop CPUs you'd find in a high end gaming PC that is high end the same year that it comes out, 2020, or at very least 2019.

That's a massive difference in approach, surely you can see.

Also consider, games like Destiny 2 have to run at 30 fps on console, but they can run on laptops with low end CPUs from just a few years ago at 60 fps if you drop the settings a bit. That's how shitty the CPUs are. When they can't handle all the instructions thrown at them the system is bottlenecked, and it's better for them to just run it at a solid 30 instead.

With such a CPU power leap, this is almost like a 1.5 or even 2 times generation increased compared to what will be happening with the graphics card, which with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X has been pretty decent mid end for a while now. Finally having both of these components up to modern high end standards means a properly balanced system, which will be much more efficient and should even be a little bit easier to handle. This is exactly what we want and hope for.

Then you add an SSD instead of a shitty laptop 5400 rpm hard drive which had been standard long before 2013, and well, let's just say this is going to be a very exciting upgrade indeed.

This made it much more understandable for sure even if I can't understand the numbers part. I would need visuals to get what we should expect high end fidelity games to look like I suppose.

That said, would the leap in tech for the upcoming systems put them at or near the level of the highest gaming PC's, or will they still be way behind?

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 launch titles were underwhelming. Would be better if they (and MS for that matter) could muster up a killer app, something like a Mario 64 or a Halo CE.

Horizon 2 sounds like it would lend itself well to show off all the controller features and visually I'm sure it would be stunning, so this is my number 1 hope for a PS5 launch title.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This made it much more understandable for sure even if I can't understand the numbers part. I would need visuals to get what we should expect high end fidelity games to look like I suppose.

That said, would the leap in tech for the upcoming systems put them at or near the level of the highest gaming PC's, or will they still be way behind?

They will be I would say just a bit under high end.

The exciting thing? We don't know what games will look like. But with the news of ray-tracing, finally good CPUs for more AI on screen and better physics and 60 fps much more often, SSDs for less hidden loading areas and weird forced slow sections, and better GPUs for full 4K more often, it's seriously exciting.

Like there is so much that is opening up for devs here. Tweets I see have a very very positive vibe from developers talking about this, and something that gets a developer excited, gets me excited.

At VERY least, a better CPU means a game that was 30 fps, could be 60 fps, with the very same graphics card -- this is easily provable, as the Xbox One X has the equivalent of an RX 480, a midrange GPU, and a modern PC with that GPU and a midrange CPU can run Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 3, Sunset Overdrive, Monster Hunter World, etc. at 60 fps.

But of course you know developers won't just stop there. We'll definitely get 30 fps games yet again that push a lot more dynamic physics and more AI units in a single instance (an AI unit is like, an enemy, a buddy, etc.), more effects going off at once, etc.

I wish I had better resources to kind of look into all sorts of things that CPUs handle, but basically anything that CPUs handle, the bar has been raised dramatically.

Games will look better as they always do, but more importantly they will be able to do more too.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
They will be I would say just a bit under high end.

The exciting thing? We don't know what games will look like. But with the news of ray-tracing, finally good CPUs for more AI on screen and better physics and 60 fps much more often, SSDs for less hidden loading areas and weird forced slow sections, and better GPUs for full 4K more often, it's seriously exciting.

Like there is so much that is opening up for devs here. Tweets I see have a very very positive vibe from developers talking about this, and something that gets a developer excited, gets me excited.

At VERY least, a better CPU means a game that was 30 fps, could be 60 fps, with the very same graphics card -- this is easily provable, as the Xbox One X has the equivalent of an RX 480, a midrange GPU, and a modern PC with that GPU and a midrange CPU can run Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 3, Sunset Overdrive, Monster Hunter World, etc. at 60 fps.

But of course you know developers won't just stop there. We'll definitely get 30 fps games yet again that push a lot more dynamic physics and more AI units in a single instance (an AI unit is like, an enemy, a buddy, etc.), more effects going off at once, etc.

I wish I had better resources to kind of look into all sorts of things that CPUs handle, but basically anything that CPUs handle, the bar has been raised dramatically.

Games will look better as they always do, but more importantly they will be able to do more too.

Yeah, you made me understand it well enough. I'm really excited for the future. Thank you for the help. ^_^

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

I thought guerilla is on record saying they want to release game sooner. Which is why they're adding a lot more people on their team. So instead of 200 people making 1 game in 5 year, its be 400 people making a game in 2 or 3 years.

I think I read that somewhere

But Simon is a Game Director, so i'm positive he's directing a game that is not Horizon 2.

Also, they made HZD in basically 3 years, as they released Killzone in november 2013, the first KZ DLC in April 2014, and Horizon in February 2017.

So I'm sure if they wanted they could release HZD2 at launch, which would be 3 years and 9 months after the release of HZD.

They could go the other route though, release first Simon game, which would be MF, Gaas etc, and that could be supported during all next gen, and HZD2 a bit later in the gen, when the installed base is a bit bigger...same model they did this gen.

It would make most sense economically, but selfishly speaking I hope they release HZD2 first because I don't play MP games that much

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Np. I'm excited lol.

You explained it very well. i just wish I wasn't so cynical and could really share in the excitement for the next generation. At the moment, I am feeling a mix of reservation, skepticism and somewhat dubious at whatever claims are going to be made of "game changing designs."

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
yep, $499 incoming. there is absolutely no way it will be sold cheaper, because even at $499, they will take a loss.

PS: I am fine with that BTW
yup totally fine with it too, i rather have a resonably powerful machine with a good design and a (i hope) good cooling solution(please sony put in a vapor chamber pretty please). Rather that resonably powerful machine inside a cheap plastic case and sounds like a small hair dryer when playing graphically intensive games like GoW.

Oct 25, 2017
A game like Control is the perfect example of the difference there will be between the CPU in PS4 and PS5. The PS4 CPU just can't handle heavy action scenes in that game at all. The frames drop and slow down a lot. I imagine the PS5 would be able to run it at 60fps easily along with graphical enhancements.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
You explained it very well. i just wish I wasn't so cynical and could really share in the excitement for the next generation. At the moment, I am feeling a mix of reservation, skepticism and somewhat dubious at whatever claims are going to be made of "game changing designs."

It's a perfectly good idea to temper expectations. Expect many of the first games we see to simply be very similar to what we have now, but with a number of things gone that we won't even realize until we go back to a current gen game and go...oh eeewwwww.

I mean just the difference in loading times is going to be a big one. Like even that I can get on board with as even current gen consoles are limited by SATA II even when you use an SSD.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

But Simon is a Game Director, so i'm positive he's directing a game that is not Horizon 2.

Also, they made HZD in basically 3 years, as they released Killzone in november 2013, the first KZ DLC in April 2014, and Horizon in February 2017.

So I'm sure if they wanted they could release HZD2 at launch, which would be 3 years and 9 months after the release of HZD.

They could go the other route though, release first Simon game, which would be MF, Gaas etc, and that could be supported during all next gen, and HZD2 a bit later in the gen, when the installed base is a bit bigger...same model they did this gen.

It would make most sense economically, but selfishly speaking I hope they release HZD2 first because I don't play MP games that much

Lol, no. Horizon took about 7 years to make. Check your facts please.

The idea was proposed in 2010 and about 30 people started actually working on it in 2011, while the rest of the team worked on Shadowfall. This group got bigger and bigger along the years until full production. The game got leaked in 2014 and was fully revealed in 2015.

It's pretty much impossible to build a game like HZD from the ground up in 3 years as a developer being new to the open world/RPG lite genre.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
It's a perfectly good idea to temper expectations. Expect many of the first games we see to simply be very similar to what we have now, but with a number of things gone that we won't even realize until we go back to a current gen game and go...oh eeewwwww.

I mean just the difference in loading times is going to be a big one. Like even that I can get on board with as even current gen consoles are limited by SATA II even when you use an SSD.

I definitely agree with you. It is startling to say that I'm starting to become disenchanted with video games, since it has been the longest hobby of my short life. Going from blowing into a cartridge on the SNES on a giant Panasonic television, to getting an original PS1, being blown away and shocked at seeing Shenmue on the Dreamcast in 1999 and Onimusha for the first time on the PS2, to the Xbox 360, PS3, the twilight of the PS4 and the upcoming PS5. We have been promised A LOT over the last few decades, and I can't happen but laugh at how much I expected from consoles and games. Not to suggest that I haven't been impressed, but the wonders of my imagination were far greater than anything I actually received in a game. Just hearing more about graphical prowess in future consoles without anything compelling about basic game design is disappointing. Especially since we have continually see the popularity of open-world games as a genre.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely agree with you. It is startling to say that I'm starting to become disenchanted with video games, since it has been the longest hobby of my short life. Going from blowing into a cartridge on the SNES on a giant Panasonic television, to getting an original PS1, being blown away and shocked at seeing Shenmue on the Dreamcast in 1999 and Onimusha for the first time on the PS2, to the Xbox 360, PS3, the twilight of the PS4 and the upcoming PS5. We have been promised A LOT over the last few decades, and I can't happen but laugh at how much I expected from consoles and games. Not to suggest that I haven't been impressed, but the wonders of my imagination were far greater than anything I actually received in a game. Just hearing more about graphical prowess in future consoles without anything compelling about basic game design is disappointing. Especially since we have continually see the popularity of open-world games as a genre.

Hey man, I feel you. My expectations for many games have dropped kind of just in general. It's just how it goes, but sometimes you'll find that perfect game that just sparks it for you. Last game to REALLY do that for me was probably idk Dark Souls or Bloodborne. But another will come along.

Right now I'm super excited for Elden Ring, and even that will probably not be what I'm hoping for, and idk, that's okay. I've just tried to set back and enjoy the ride and see where games take me.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Dont belive it, this isnt going to affect anything for games. Its all marketing spin and ignorance. PC's have had stronger CPU's and they havent affected game design at all

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dont belive it, this isnt going to affect anything for games. Its all marketing spin and ignorance. PC's have had stronger CPU's and they havent affected game design at all
Yes, because you have to code for the lowest common denominator.....

They can't target 8 cores, 16 threads with Ray Tracing if pcs still have dual and quad core cpus with low end gpus and Xbox One/PS4 have mobile CPUs and low to mid range GPUs.

Oct 25, 2017
Games aren't designed for PCs....

What is in the PS5/Scar will be the baseline for all game design going forward (well, until cross gen releases stop) -- Good CPU, SSD, RT, etc.... So yes, there will be an impact on games and their design.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
This argument always comes up and it never makes sense. On PC, the majority of players aren't rocking the latest and greatest hardware. Games have to be built with the intention that most of the market will be able to play them. It doesn't make sense to build a game that only the top enthusiast PCs could run because you won't make enough money.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yes, because you have to code for the lowest common denominator.....

They can't target 8 cores, 16 threads with Ray Tracing if pcs still have dual and quad core cpus with low end gpus and Xbox One/PS4 have mobile CPUs and low to mid range GPUs.

This argument always comes up and it never makes sense. On PC, the majority of players aren't rocking the latest and greatest hardware. Games have to be built with the intention that most of the market will be able to play them. It doesn't make sense to build a game that only the top enthusiast PCs could run because you won't make enough money.

Dont feel fooled by the marketing spin! I have been educated by very smart people in the SSD thread let me tell you, and they have been telling me that obvious technological advancements becoming standardized by console bringing extreme jumps in game design is just clever fake marketing by Sony and these very smart people i've heard this from surely know much better about game design than game designers, let me tell you, believe me.

Oct 25, 2017
Dont feel fooled by the marketing spin! I have been educated by very smart people in the SSD thread let me tell you, and they have been telling me that obvious technological advancements becoming standardized by console bringing extreme jumps in game design is just clever fake marketing by Sony and these very smart people i've heard this from surely know much better about game design than game designers, let me tell you, believe me.
Ah, I got ya lol.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe you've done this.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Hey man, I feel you. My expectations for many games have dropped kind of just in general. It's just how it goes, but sometimes you'll find that perfect game that just sparks it for you. Last game to REALLY do that for me was probably idk Dark Souls or Bloodborne. But another will come along.

Right now I'm super excited for Elden Ring, and even that will probably not be what I'm hoping for, and idk, that's okay. I've just tried to set back and enjoy the ride and see where games take me.

Funny you mention FromSoftware, since all my friends love their games. I absolutely loathe their games, and I'm more of a hack n slash person (Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, etc). I've been getting back into traditional RPGs and older shooters since I build my own gaming rig. I'm also in the middle to reconcile my career vs school path, so it has eaten a lot of my enthusiasm for games. Either that or the depression.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I think this kind of dictates that Xbox do likewise, and PC owners will probably need 16-thread (or core) CPUs to maintain parity next gen.

How so? All you have to do is query the hardware and separate your pipeline jobs based on the number of threads. It's been this way for years and years. 3rd party games will still run faster on PCs.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks for the estimate. I have an original RTX 2080 with an i7-8700K, so my CPU is the only thing I might have to consider getting a change soon.
You're probably fine. The PS5 might have 16 threads, but it will likely have relatively low clocks. They gotta cool it and a GPU inside a small form-factor and keep power-draw down.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I think this kind of dictates that Xbox do likewise, and PC owners will probably need 16-thread (or core) CPUs to maintain parity next gen.

Don't think it's true for many reasons:
- 8 threads on Jaguar didn't dicate 8 threads on PC.
- IPC is still king. Which means a lower clocked Ryzen 7 3700x might lose to a higher clocked Ryzen 5 3600x.
- It's possible not all 16 threads will be available for games. If PS4 and Xbox One are anything to go by, 6 cores were available at launch for games.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017

I could see a standalone multiplayer game in the Horizon universe in the same vein as Monster Hunter. They were playing around with co op for the first Horizon but eventually had to scrap it due to technical limitations but with PS5 that obviously wouldn't be an issue any more.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Don't think it's true for many reasons:
- 8 threads on Jaguar didn't dicate 8 threads on PC.
- IPC is still king. Which means a lower clocked Ryzen 7 3700x might lose to a higher clocked Ryzen 5 3600x.
- It's possible not all 16 threads will be available for games. If PS4 and Xbox One are anything to go by, 6 cores were available at launch for games.

Running faster than console CPU will not be difficult. Like ou said IPC is important but this time IPC is much better on AMD CPU. It will be much more difficult to run 30 fps next-generation games at 60 fps. I suppose 12 cores will be useful for this when two years afte console release games will begin to push the CPU.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Running faster than console CPU will not be difficult. Like ou said IPC is important but this ime IPC is much better on AMD CPU. It will be much more difficult to run 30 fps next-generation games at 60 fps. I suppose 12 cores will be useful for this when two years afer release games will begin to push the CPU.

But the clock might be lower. Also, on 30fps games more difficult to run at 60fps: It'll all come down on what's the reason the game runs at 30fps. If it's a complete CPU bottleneck, yeah, you're right. Will it be though ? And on top of that: How much cores will be available for games ? At what clockspeed ?

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think this makes much sense, to be honest. Killzone got four major chances to be successful (I'm assuming nobody expected Liberation or Mercenary to rack up major sales) and although it never really failed, it also never took off. Unless I'm missing some major Killzone sales milestone announcement, It looks like Horizon exceeded the sales of any Killzone game on its first go. It's clearly a more appealing series and it'd be mystifying for them to make a fifth major Killzone (and seventh game in the series) ahead of a second Horizon game.
I think Killzone franchise has been put to rest as well in particular with the shut down of Guerrilla Cambridge. They were a competent enough studio to make a home console Killzone but never got the chance. Killzone is a series that just isn't going to show success no matter how much they try pushing it that it seems like a waste of resources and time better spent on Horizon or new I.P. From what I've read, they're increasing staff to help accelerate development. I'm expecting Horizon with an ambitious online component.

For the discussion of the CPU, don't quite understand the tech but is there anything to suggest an estimation what kind of frequency it will be clocked at. Reading some comments in this thread and wondering why some think it might be a mobile CPU version rather than the desktop. From what I've read a 3700x at base frequency doesn't really use much power given it's performance.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, no. Horizon took about 7 years to make. Check your facts please.

The idea was proposed in 2010 and about 30 people started actually working on it in 2011, while the rest of the team worked on Shadowfall. This group got bigger and bigger along the years until full production. The game got leaked in 2014 and was fully revealed in 2015.

It's pretty much impossible to build a game like HZD from the ground up in 3 years as a developer being new to the open world/RPG lite genre.

Yes, but that was as an answer to someone that said that they released one game every 5 years, and that was the reason the were increasing the number of employees, so please check what are your answering to first, please.

They released Horizon 3 years after their previous game (not 5), and the next game will release also 3,5 after the previous game at the earliest, with double the employees, so clearly they didn't double the number of employees to decrease the time between games in half, like the other poster was implying

In short, my point is that they do have 2 teams, working in 2 games, and Simon Larouche is directing one of them, and not one big team with double the employees, making just one game

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I think Killzone franchise has been put to rest as well in particular with the shut down of Guerrilla Cambridge. They were a competent enough studio to make a home console Killzone but never got the chance. Killzone is a series that just isn't going to show success no matter how much they try pushing it that it seems like a waste of resources and time better spent on Horizon or new I.P. From what I've read, they're increasing staff to help accelerate development. I'm expecting Horizon with an ambitious online component.

For the discussion of the CPU, don't quite understand the tech but is there anything to suggest an estimation what kind of frequency it will be clocked at. Reading some comments in this thread and wondering why some think it might be a mobile CPU version rather than the desktop. From what I've read a 3700x at base frequency doesn't really use much power given it's performance.
Keep online features away from my singleplayer games please. Horizon was perfect as it is.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
for all my UK friends hoping it's not more than £450, I have bad news for you.. post Brexit it will be closer to £600, plus 3 goats, 4 chickens and your firstborn!..

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
But the clock might be lower. Also, on 30fps games more difficult to run at 60fps: It'll all come down on what's the reason the game runs at 30fps. If it's a complete CPU bottleneck, yeah, you're right. Will it be though ? And on top of that: How much cores will be available for games ? At what clockspeed ?

Probably 6 or 7 cores and it looks like 3,2 Ghz. On consoles game they push the CPU and the GPU, this is not a PC.

I think two to three years after release of console we will see game pushing the CPU harder.