• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You will be completely fine with 6c/12t on Intel CPU for next gen unless you are aiming at 100fps+ then it could become a bottleneck.

It will be enough for playing games at the same (or slightly better) framerate as the console versions.
Games that are 30 fps on console will probably not run at 60 fps though (some might, but not all).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I've 'scanned' this topic and didn't see it, if its been asked 50 times I apologize :) - What is the theoretical PC GPU/CPU combo that this is most likely to perform like. I wan't to see how badly my kids' PC's are gonna get thwacked in the next two years. (I built them both their own budget gaming g4560/1050ti/16GB Ram about 2.5 years ago - and they've been EXCELLENT performers)

Ryzen 5 8/16
NVIDIA 2070 (Maybe Super)
PCIE4 SSD

This is of course if you want to match performance at launch. Mid to late gen console will eclipse this performance profile.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Hey everyone, I have a question that occured to me today: will PS5 enable us to capture video from HDR games without altering the colour tones? Currently if you click the share button and capture video of a HDR game, it outputs it with very saturated colours as a result.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone, I have a question that occured to me today: will PS5 enable us to capture video from HDR games without altering the colour tones? Currently if you click the share button and capture video of a HDR game, it outputs it with very saturated colours as a result.
I also want PS5 DVR to support 60fps. We survived an entire generation of 30fps-only videos.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
I've 'scanned' this topic and didn't see it, if its been asked 50 times I apologize :) - What is the theoretical PC GPU/CPU combo that this is most likely to perform like. I wan't to see how badly my kids' PC's are gonna get thwacked in the next two years. (I built them both their own budget gaming g4560/1050ti/16GB Ram about 2.5 years ago - and they've been EXCELLENT performers)
CPU performance-wise PS5's 8C/16T might be more or less like Ryzen 5 3600 due to being clocked lower. Which means about ~3.5-4x more powerful than Pentium G4560.
GPU performance-wise PS5 might be more or less close to 5700XT with the ability to perform ray-tracing. This would also mean roughly close to ~3.5x more powerful than GTX 1050 Ti.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
As of now, we don't know. Perhaps they'll talk about it next year during the full reveal.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
AMD CPUs follow a multi-thread approach. Anyone with a little bit of hardware knowledge would have zero doubts that PS5's Zen 2 CPU would not feature multi-threading.
False. 3500X is a Zen 2 based CPU and does not have SMT enabled (6C/6T). So not all Zen 2 CPUs come with multithreading enabled.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be a 2020 console, $499 should be the logical price.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Ryzen 5 8/16 - thats not accurate as PS5 CPU will be underclocked, 6/12 Ryzen configurations will be enough for parity
NVIDIA 2070 (Maybe Super) - i dont think GPU will be as strong, but will see
PCIE4 SSD

This is of course if you want to match performance at launch. Mid to late gen console will eclipse this performance profile.
"Mid to late gen console will eclipse this performance profile." - this need to stop, it didnt happen last gen, it didnt happen this gen, it wont happen next gen with exception to games that will require raytracing hw, then you'll need a gpu with raytracing acceration to keep up.

--
It will be enough for playing games at the same (or slightly better) framerate as the console versions.
Games that are 30 fps on console will probably not run at 60 fps though (some might, but not all).
I think it will be enough for all games to be played in 60fps. Remember that consoles wont use all threads for games and will be underclocked as AMD CPU, which generally wins by having way overclocked CPU in comparison to Intel. Also on PC you have more control over games settings, so you can decrease some CPU intensive settings to achieve stable 60fps.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018

I hope so. Not impressed with the way it works on ps4 at all. I used to like saving clips of good gaming moments to 'hopefully' watch again years down the line.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
CPU performance-wise PS5's 8C/16T might be more or less like Ryzen 5 3600 due to being clocked lower. Which means about ~3.5-4x more powerful than Pentium G4560.
GPU performance-wise PS5 might be more or less close to 5700XT with the ability to perform ray-tracing. This would also mean roughly close to ~3.5x more powerful than GTX 1050 Ti.

Thats impressive sounding, especially since these 2 PC's run everything better than my PS4 does already.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
This is good or bad ? I know some of these words, but...
This is good. You want to allocate different jobs running on the CPU to different cores. Think of it like building a house not with one person who have to do all the jobs (electricity, painting, laying bricks, roofing, etc.) but with eight people. Now threads of a CPU – aren't really "physical" like a person – but are for organizing things; with 16 threads think of it like each of those eight people have two piles of resources they take from to build that house. Instead of one, relatively unorganized pile, e.g. for the painter who has his paint, his tools, his drawings in one single bucket and have to rummage around in, he has two buckets, so he can work more efficiently. In reality certain threads aren't tied to certain cores, but just for this image I made it so.

Especially for huge open world games or multiplayer games with lots of people and lots of server and client requests (resulting from many players on one servers) you want more cores and threads. You can have a strong GPU that does all the shading, shadowing, drawing effects extremely well, but you get only so many FPS if the CPU can't deliver on all those requests happening simultaneously; good example is Battlefield with so many things going on independently of your viewport: whether you look into the direction or not, if 20 players bombing and destroying a whole place, this has to happen on "your side" as well. If your CPU can't keep up the calculations and thus delivering the FPS, your GPU power doesn't matter.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
All I need to know is if it will let me play FFXIV. Then Day 1. All those extra sweet cores will let me walk through cities above 30fps!

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
yeah I can see 499 as the launch price. Think that will be their sweet spot. But I guess we will see.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
For people complaining about $499 price point - the retail price of 8C/16T Zen 2 is $349 on Amazon right now. That's just the CPU.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
They already leaked everything!!! 8core 16threads zen2 is huge... what kind of MEGATON they're gonna have for the reveal conference?

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
"Mid to late gen console will eclipse this performance profile." - this need to stop, it didnt happen last gen, it didnt happen this gen, it wont happen next gen with exception to games that will require raytracing hw, then you'll need a gpu with raytracing acceration to keep up.

I don't think that's true. I could be wrong, but is there a PC with the same RAM and VRAM as the XBOX 360 playing games like Bioshock and Assassin's Creed?

This gen is a bit of an anomaly because Jaguar CPUs werent even really a thing in discrete desktops. Is a game like RDR2 playable on 2013 console equivalent GPUs?

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's true. I could be wrong, but is there a PC with the same RAM and VRAM as the XBOX 360 playing games like Bioshock and Assassin's Creed?

This gen is a bit of an anomaly because Jaguar CPUs werent even really a thing in discrete desktops. Is a game like RDR2 playable on 2013 console equivalent GPUs?
There are performance tests of console like specs in modern games, look it up on yt. Same goes for last gen.
RDR2 is not even out yet on PC.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I just hope that my R5 2600 + 1070 can hold 1080p60 for next gen titles...

I'd say you are fine if you keep your settings at reasonable levels. While the console cpu has couple more cores, I'd expect it to be weaker overall. The gpu is in the same ballpark. I would not be surprised if it actually ends up being a bit faster than the 1070. And no RT. Funnily that might actually be an advantage, because RT will also slow consoles down and they can't disable it if the game uses it. You will need to upgrade in a year or two after the consoles are released though.

Last edited:

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I say $499 with some sort of item included, be it a year of ps plus or a year of psnow, or knack 3D who knows

AfterCoffee

Feb 18, 2019
I dont think people with 8700k in their machines have to worry one bit. It will probably push 100fps+ in next gen games if the gpu can keep up =)

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017

Not of the same generation of gpu as the one in PS4, but an R9 290x (from October 2013) is well above the published minimum required spec for RDR2. An HD 7850 (a close match for the PS4's GPU) likely will not be playable (maybe with minimum everything at the lowest resolution if a 2GB 7850 was being used)

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. After the success of Pro and XBX, a PS5 Pro is now 100% guaranteed. I'd say maybe with 3nm EUV node once it's widely available.
I wouldn't say it's 100%. Those models were just this gens Kinect/EyeToy/Wii Motion Plus, meant to extend the gen longer.

The launch PS5 will already support 8K, even if it's upscaled, so what buzz marketing terms can a PS5 Pro even add in 2023?

I don't think "it's even better 4K than the PS5 which was even better 4K than the PS4 Pro" is going to do wel marketing wise.

And PS4 Pro/1X have 4K as a marketing point and they still sell to 20% of buyers. For PS4, yeah that's maybe 3-5M per year, Xbox less.

I'd personally rather they focus on price and make a big 8K push in 2026+

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think it will be enough for all games to be played in 60fps. Remember that consoles wont use all threads for games and will be underclocked as AMD CPU, which generally wins by having way overclocked CPU in comparison to Intel. Also on PC you have more control over games settings, so you can decrease some CPU intensive settings to achieve stable 60fps.

Ryzen 3000 CPUs clock about the same as current Intel CPUs and are competetive in terms of IPC.

It won't clock as high in a console environment, but even with conservative assumptions you'll need a beefy CPU on PC to approach being about twice as fast (which is needed for doubled framerates):
Assume PS5's Zen 2 will clock at 3 GHz with 1 core/2 threads being entirely reserved for the OS. Then you will still need an 8 core / 16 threads CPU clocked at 5 GHz to be about twice as fast.
Unless of course you're willing to turn down settings below PS5 level.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I wouldn't say it's 100%. Those models were just this gens Kinect/EyeToy/Wii Motion Plus, meant to extend the gen longer.

The launch PS5 will already support 8K, even if it's upscaled, so what buzz marketing terms can a PS5 Pro even add in 2023?

I don't think "it's even better 4K than the PS5 which was even better 4K than the PS4 Pro" is going to do wel marketing wise.

And PS4 Pro/1X have 4K as a marketing point and they still sell to 20% of buyers. For PS4, yeah that's maybe 3-5M per year, Xbox less.

I'd personally rather they focus on price and make a big 8K push in 2026+

Would be amazing if it was "upgrade-able" for discrete parts, rather than buying a separate console. E.g. improved SSD drive (improved over the improvements already there)

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017
yep, $499 incoming. there is absolutely no way it will be sold cheaper, because even at $499, they will take a loss.

PS: I am fine with that BTW
I think it's a bad assumption to say they can't price it under $500. Even if your cost info is true, it wouldn't be the first time a console maker sells a system at a loss. And I would argue that Sony needs to be under $500 to repeat the success of the PS4.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

agreed. Pro/X1X rode the 4K wave. Unless 8K adoption gets a big boost, I don't see it happening. The average consumer probably won't care much for a Pro model that has more RT-cores or something like that. A console that pushes out 4K graphics for your 4K TV is a much more understandable proposition.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Thanks - was thinking about the same thing. How much more powerful would it be than the PS4 and PS4 pro respectively?