• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I wouldn't say it's 100%. Those models were just this gens Kinect/EyeToy/Wii Motion Plus, meant to extend the gen longer.

The launch PS5 will already support 8K, even if it's upscaled, so what buzz marketing terms can a PS5 Pro even add in 2023?

I don't think "it's even better 4K than the PS5 which was even better 4K than the PS4 Pro" is going to do wel marketing wise.

And PS4 Pro/1X have 4K as a marketing point and they still sell to 20% of buyers. For PS4, yeah that's maybe 3-5M per year, Xbox less.

I'd personally rather they focus on price and make a big 8K push in 2026+

I wouldn't say its 100% either, because who the hell knows if most things in the future is 100%. But I think there is a solid 90% chance.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Nope. Hard disagree. There's profit to be made with midgen upgrades.

We got mid gen upgrades because of 4K TVs - easy to ship more powerful consoles and use that power to simply pump the resolution, and demand for them to satisfy those with new TVs.

It isn't going to happen this gen - there will not be a large resolution jump the average person will be playing on. What's the point of the "pro" consoles then? How do developers make games for them without ballooning budgets with new assets?

And before anyone says "60fps" - that would require twice the CPU power and GPU power. We aren't seeing that in a mid gen refresh.

So you will have poor selling "pro" consoles (they were the massive minority this gen and that was with the 4K push) that developers have to spend loads of money supporting in their games by developing better assets to run on them.

Not going to happen. No need. Not profitable. Incredibly difficult and expensive for developers to support. Pointless.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Does anyone think its weird sony is touting things for ps5 that were already done elsewhere?

3D audio = DolbyAtmos/WindowsSonic 2016 XBO

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
We got mid gen upgrades because of 4K TVs - easy to ship more powerful consoles and use that power to simply pump the resolution, and demand for them to satisfy those with new TVs.

It isn't going to happen this gen - there will not be a large resolution jump the average person will be playing on. What's the point of the "pro" consoles then? How do developers make games for them without ballooning budgets with new assets?

And before anyone says "60fps" - that would require twice the CPU power and GPU power. We aren't seeing that in a mid gen refresh.

So you will have poor selling "pro" consoles (they were the massive minority this gen and that was with the 4K push) that developers have to spend loads of money supporting in their games by developing better assets to run on them.

Not going to happen. No need. Not profitable. Incredibly difficult and expensive for developers to support. Pointless.

You're not thinking creative enough to sell something. There's other things that can be sold. Better streaming support, 5G modem, better VR support. Also, I'm not totally with you there on the resolution stuff - I still think that they can try to sell that with a MidGen, the jury's not out on that one. I really think TV manufactures will push the 8k stuff and things will follow, etc etc.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Ryzen 3000 CPUs clock about the same as current Intel CPUs and are competetive in terms of IPC.

It won't clock as high in a console environment, but even with conservative assumptions you'll need a beefy CPU on PC to approach being about twice as fast (which is needed for doubled framerates):
Assume PS5's Zen 2 will clock at 3 GHz with 1 core/2 threads being entirely reserved for the OS. Then you will still need an 8 core / 16 threads CPU clocked at 5 GHz to be about twice as fast.
Unless of course you're willing to turn down settings below PS5 level.
You know thats really theoretical :) Games wont be using all cores to the fullest and main core performance will still be the biggest bottleneck in games performance, especially in terms of lower fps scenarios. We are late into the console cycle and games still do not utilize 7 cores properly and utilizing 14-16 will be harder :)
Additionally fully locked 30fps titles generally operates around 40fps most of the time, so to be near average 60 you do need twice the performance, so changing one CPU heavy setting could be enough to provide quite stable 60fps in most cases.
Also most games use GPU more than CPU in most scenarios, so in most cases you have a performance overhead on CPU.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Not of the same generation of gpu as the one in PS4, but an R9 290x (from October 2013) is well above the published minimum required spec for RDR2. An HD 7850 (a close match for the PS4's GPU) likely will not be playable (maybe with minimum everything at the lowest resolution if a 2GB 7850 was being used)

Yeah the R9 290x launched at $549 with 320GB/s bandwidth and 5.6 TF. That's definitely not what was in launch consoles.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
You're not thinking creative enough to sell something. There's other things that can be sold. Better streaming support, 5G modem, better VR support. Also, I'm not totally with you there on the resolution stuff - I still think that they can try to sell that with a MidGen, the jury's not out on that one. I really think TV manufactures will push the 8k stuff and things will follow, etc etc.

5G modem in a home console? Why? It failed on a portable! What possible point is there in having it on a home console?

"Better streaming support" - how, what do you even mean? What hardware are you suggesting that will provide "better" streaming support? If anything a streaming orientated console would be quite the opposite of "pro" and strip out the hardware since it doesn't need it.

They can't push 8K before most people have 4K screens. And at that point we're absolutely in diminishing returns category.

None of these things would sell a "pro" console. Even with the perfect storm allowing them this gen they still sold poorly.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
So? We're comparing performance numbers not the die package.
APUs have historically been significantly under clocked and knee capped in performance because of thermals and power efficiency not because it's not possible to have them perform similarly to desktop CPUs. That will not change with next-gen consoles. Only thing you can possibly extract by comparing similar silicon are features a certain die has [hardware accelerated ray tracing, infinity fabric, etc] not performance.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You know thats really theoretical :) Games wont be using all cores to the fullest and main core performance will still be the biggest bottleneck in games performance, especially in terms of lower fps scenarios. We are late into the console cycle and games still do not utilize 7 cores properly and utilizing 14-16 will be harder :)
Additionally fully locked 30fps titles generally operates around 40fps most of the time, so to be near average 60 you do need twice the performance, so changing one CPU heavy setting could be enough to provide quite stable 60fps in most cases.
Also most games use GPU more than CPU in most scenarios, so in most cases you have a performance overhead on CPU.

I agree that we'll have to see how it turns out in practice. Not all games will use the hardware like that so it won't be as bad in those cases.
When a game makes full use of the hardware's potential though I believe we will get a situation similar to what I described in my post.

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
Does anyone think its weird sony is touting things for ps5 that were already done elsewhere?

Not really. These are nice things to have if developers find good uses for them. The rumble in the Xbox triggers is not the same as the HD feedback found in the Switch and PS5 btw. I think the next Xbox contoller is going to feature similar HD feedback as well.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
5G modem in a home console? Why? It failed on a portable! What possible point is there in having it on a home console?

"Better streaming support" - how, what do you even mean? What hardware are you suggesting that will provide "better" streaming support? If anything a streaming orientated console would be quite the opposite of "pro" and strip out the hardware since it doesn't need it.

They can't push 8K before most people have 4K screens. And at that point we're absolutely in diminishing returns category.

None of these things would sell a "pro" console. Even with the perfect storm allowing them this gen they still sold poorly.

Couple years ago most people didn't have 4K screen but the PS4 Pro was released with checkered rendering... Three years from now who know what the field will look like...

Edit...not a definitive source but This article talks about adoption rates. A quick Google search about 8k adoption rates and studies will show you that it'll happen during the next gen cycle.

Last edited:

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

Because Sony showed next-gen implementations that are superior than the last-gen stuff?

The Dolby Atmos on Xbox is a proprietary audio codec for which devs need to pay royalties AND which also requires users to buy the $15 Dolby software. How many people do you think have this installed? Sony's 3D audio is free for devs to use and available on all PS5 consoles. This is a game changer. Turns out that Windows Sonic for Xbox / Windows is also free to use, albeit without ray-tracing support like Sony's 3D audio. Thanks to VeePs for the correction.

Regarding rumble: The reason why HD rumble wasn't widely adapted, is probably because the Switch mostly received (last-gen) ports from the major 3rd party devs, and they weren't interested in implementing this feature. And while this will be similar for BC titles on PS5, all new games will be specifically developed for PS5, so they will certainly use it.

His comment about "haptic feedback" is also a bit strange. First of all, the new Dual Shock controller uses different and better motor types compared to previous controllers. Second, it's not just rumble: They are offering different resistances for the triggers depending on what you are doing in-game. Which seems like a pretty cool idea, and I certainly think devs will be more interested in this new solution.

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018
Ryzen 5 8/16
NVIDIA 2070 (Maybe Super)
PCIE4 SSD

This is of course if you want to match performance at launch. Mid to late gen console will eclipse this performance profile.
CPU performance-wise PS5's 8C/16T might be more or less like Ryzen 5 3600 due to being clocked lower. Which means about ~3.5-4x more powerful than Pentium G4560.
GPU performance-wise PS5 might be more or less close to 5700XT with the ability to perform ray-tracing. This would also mean roughly close to ~3.5x more powerful than GTX 1050 Ti.

Let's just say, for the sake of being conservative, that we get something like a Ryzen 5 3600 with a 5700XT. That'd mean that you'll get 60fps 1080p for virtually most games, and you are still able to do 60fps at 4k for a well optimized game (like first party games, or third party studios that do care about optimization). At least considering the current state of game requirements.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I wouldn't say it's 100%. Those models were just this gens Kinect/EyeToy/Wii Motion Plus, meant to extend the gen longer.

The launch PS5 will already support 8K, even if it's upscaled, so what buzz marketing terms can a PS5 Pro even add in 2023?

I don't think "it's even better 4K than the PS5 which was even better 4K than the PS4 Pro" is going to do wel marketing wise.

And PS4 Pro/1X have 4K as a marketing point and they still sell to 20% of buyers. For PS4, yeah that's maybe 3-5M per year, Xbox less.

I'd personally rather they focus on price and make a big 8K push in 2026+

More advanced, comprehensive and fast RT hw
60-80 TF

The kind of benefits that the PS6 and Xbox 'Project Gemini' (Scarlett 's successor) will bring in when they launch in 2027 or 2028, is that they'll be capable of feats such as running a pretty close real-time rendition of the CGI used in Ready Player One, at HD 720p 30fps, and it will be amazing,——That will be MORE impressive than a PS5 quality game at 8K 120fps on PS6.
Or a Scarlett quality game at 8K 120fps on Project Gemini.

Oct 27, 2017
More advanced, comprehensive and fast RT hw
60-80 TF

The kind of benefits that the PS6 and Xbox 'Project Gemini' (Scarlett 's successor) will bring in when they launch in 2027 or 2028, is that they'll be capable of feats such as running a pretty close real-time rendition of the CGI used in Ready Player One, at HD 720p 30fps, and it will be amazing,——That will be MORE impressive than a PS5 quality game at 8K 120fps on PS6.
Or a Scarlett quality game at 8K 120fps on Project Gemini.
Are you saying PS5 Pro could be 60TFs?

60TFs is NOT happening 3 years after release in 2023. Idk if it will happen for PS6. More likely 2025-2028 imo.

at best I'd think PS5 Pro, in 2023, would be 15TFs, maybe 24-30GB RAM (1X was only a 50% ram increase)

For Ps6, and I'd love to be woefully wrong in 2026-27 (following two straight 7 year gens) i am hoping for 12-16 cores @3Ghz+, 25-30TFs, and 32-64GBs absolute max with a bit of wishful thinking.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
Thanks - was thinking about the same thing. How much more powerful would it be than the PS4 and PS4 pro respectively?
From base PS4 to PS5, I think it's approximately a 7x increase in power, GPU/CPU combined. From PS4 Pro to PS5, it should be around 4x increase more or less. We'll have to wait for the full specs. These are just rough guesses based on the Zen 2/Navi hardware that are currently available in the PC space.

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a good reason to consider a 3700x or 9900K as a minimum for new PC builds.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
From base PS4 to PS5, I think it's approximately a 7x increase in power, GPU/CPU combined. From PS4 Pro to PS5, it should be around 4x increase more or less. We'll have to wait for full specs. These are just rough guesses based on the Zen 2/Navi hardware that are currently available in the PC space.
Right, thanks for the input. Always loved this part of the next gen cycle and the speculations of it all.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Programmable and dynamic trigger resistance hasn't been done before.

The other haptics in the grips does indeed sound like HD Rumble, but it might be another evolution of that, we'll see.

The more interesting advance is the adaptive triggers though. That, in concert with improved rumble/haptics might be worth making a fuss about.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Not of the same generation of gpu as the one in PS4, but an R9 290x (from October 2013) is well above the published minimum required spec for RDR2. An HD 7850 (a close match for the PS4's GPU) likely will not be playable (maybe with minimum everything at the lowest resolution if a 2GB 7850 was being used)
7850 will play RDR2 i bet just fine, 7870 typically still beats PS4.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the adaptive triggers can increase resistance to the point where it can effectively change the travel distance of the triggers - i.e. stop the trigger travelling beyond certain points.

Beyond guns, you could use that for something like melee or sword combat - by stopping the travel based on distance to contact with the enemy, you could give a neat bit of physical feedback to the player on the spatial extent of their swings/punches/whatever, distance to the enemy. Misses could be communicated by a sudden loosening of the trigger resistance at the bottom of the travel curve (like a weapon 'falling' under gravity at the back end of a swing-and-a-miss).

For hitting things that break you could also increase resistance momentarily mid-way through the trigger's travel, then suddenly release it - a sense of coming into contact with something and then 'giving way' when you break through that target object.

Perhaps a similar kind of resistance curve to expressing contact when you kick a football...a relatively loose resistance followed by a sharp increase at the end of the curve when you hit the ball, and then another little release when it sails away...so you have that 'pop' of hitting something away. Maybe the player should do something else at that moment of contact to direct the ball or whatever - having that physical feedback would be very useful to enable subtler controls like that.

Resistance curves that are programmed to match real life pedals from cars in the next GT?

It's hard to be sure until a pad is in your hands, depending on how those triggers work exactly, there could be some very cool uses.

Last edited:

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
7850 will play RDR2 i bet just fine, 7870 typically still beats PS4.
All down to standards of playable I suppose. My 7870 XT was starting to chug at 1080p with medium/low settings in newer games before it gave up the ghost. Blackout in Black Ops 4 was on the verge of unplayable at minimum settings. 2 GB of VRAM is pretty low these days and the 1 GB cards would be real dogs.

Yeah the R9 290x launched at $549 with 320GB/s bandwidth and 5.6 TF. That's definitely not what was in launch consoles.
I'm sorry, I missed the "console equivalent" part at the end of your statement. Still, it supports the idea that a GPU that's available (albeit higher end) when the consoles come out should be enough the whole generation. The R9 280 is the minimum listed for RDR 2, and the 7950 it's based on was $330 new in 2013. A 7850 might be workable, but my bet is that it won't be a good time and there will be stuttering which I wouldn't want to put up with.

Last edited:

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
3D audio was in PSVR.
Binaural 3D audio actually... Binaural is a little different and processed from a stereo source. a lot of surround 3D is object based/simulated for headsets if they don't have enough drivers, and can be sent via encoders like Dolby Atmos or DTS:X for headphones. But PSVR specificially requires binaural processing via its small outbox unit as it would throw off your senses out when in PSVR if you used other methods. Audio needs to be accurate in relation to your actions and what your brain thinks it's seeing.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the adaptive triggers can increase resistance to the point where it can effectively change the travel distance of the triggers - i.e. stop the trigger travelling beyond certain points.

Beyond guns, you could use that for something like melee or sword combat - by stopping the travel based on distance to contact with the enemy, you could give a neat bit of physical feedback to the player on the spatial extent of their swings/punches/whatever, distance to the enemy. Misses could be communicated by a sudden loosening of the trigger resistance at the bottom of the travel curve (like a weapon 'falling' under gravity at the back end of a swing-and-a-miss).

For hitting things that break you could also increase resistance momentarily mid-way through the trigger's travel, then suddenly release it - a sense of coming into contact with something and then 'giving way' when you break through that target object.

Perhaps the opposite curve to expressing contact when you kick a football...a relatively loose resistance followed by a sharp increase at the end of the curve when you hit the ball.

Resistance curves that are programmed to match real life pedals from cars in the next GT?

It's hard to be sure until a pad is in your hands, depending on how those triggers work exactly, there could be some very cool uses.
I like the way you're thinking here.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL

Touting or just announcing features? When it was revealed that the OG XB1 would be a sporting a Blu-ray drive, were they "touting" about having a feature that PS3 has had since launch?

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

HD rumble is not a Nintendo invention.

XBO doesn't have haptic feedback. It's just rumble triggers. What was described about the PS5 controller sounds completely different.

Last edited:

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I mean PS3 had SACD support, X1S didn't... (neither did the PS4 to be fair the PS3 was a media beast machine and I don't expect the PS5 to have SACD/DVD-Audio support either, I have a separate for my CD needs) but the whole "who did it first" trending by journalism at the moment is pretty pathetic.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
All down to standards of playable I suppose. My 7870 XT was starting to chug at 1080p with medium/low settings in newer games before it gave up the ghost. Blackout in Black Ops 4 was on the verge of unplayable at minimum settings. 2 GB of VRAM is pretty low these days and the 1 GB cards would be real dogs.

I'm sorry, I missed the "console equivalent" part at the end of your statement. Still, it supports the idea that a GPU that's available (albeit higher end) when the consoles come out should be enough the whole generation. The R9 280 is the minimum listed for RDR 2, and the 7950 it's based on was $330 new in 2013. A 7850 might be workable, but my bet is that it won't be a good time and there will be stuttering which I wouldn't want to put up with.
Yeah some games are poorly optimised, Black Ops 3 was dreadful too, so it's always safe to buy a GPU that is a bit above Consoles, that's a fair argument to make.
If PS5 is like a 2070, then i would get a 2080 to be safe, or whatever Nvidia/AMD have next year.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
8core zen2 is a beast, even more if they target 30/60 FPS they can make some crazy complex stuff,