• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Confirmation is great.. would like to see how 3rd parties use it.
I would like to see a new Battlefield at launch (Think 4, rather than 5) with 100 player CQ matches, with updated graphics and at 4K. I think thats very doable.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
That's actually good news for PC players too. We can finally hope for better usage of all cores in PC games.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I figured it would be that way. Now the important part. At what frequency will it run at and how are they going to cool this system.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So what does that mean, can i have for exemple, my full clothe physics (meaning not only the floating part but the part against the body folding) cause that will make everything look way better

Nov 8, 2017
As expected. The big question is clock speed. Current Ryzen Mobile processors have a base clock of 2.3GHz, but the core configuration maxes out at 4c/8t, so it's very possible the PS5 and Nextbox processors will land closer to 2GHz.

The PS4 Pro draws ~150w in intense games, the Xbox One X draws ~170 in intense games.

The 3700X desktop chips (probably a very close silicon match to what's shipping, varying mostly on clock speeds) draws about ~90w with PBO disabled, or 110W with it enabled.

The Navi 5700 draws ~170w when highly stressed.

It wouldn't be crazy to expect the CPUs to run around the ~2.8-3GHz mark, imo. It really depends on how of a power hog they're willing to ship the base consoles as, and how much they want to dedicate to the GPU + Storage requirements. I'm expecting an ultrafast Gen4+ SSD to suck up a few watts when stressed, for sure. That's still ~1+ GHz below where the desktop chips run at, but 2GHz seems low for CPU. I'm sort of expecting them to push closer to the 200w range.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Tech is in a much different space than it was in 2006, I could honestly see them trying to toe 600 honestly. I expect it'll fall around 500 though for its final cost.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess that guarantees the Xbox to have the same chip as well, wonder what the custom mods will be to each.

ps3ud0 8)

Oct 30, 2017
$500 seems like the most realistic price considering the hardware. I am excited that this seems to be a pretty significant leap from current gen.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The consoles are based off the desktop chip this time, as the mobile ryzen 3000 chips are still based off zen+ instead of zen 2.

Ah, right.

And the leaks so far have suggested 3.2GHz clock, which matches power consumption tests that were done with an underclocked ryzen 3700X.

That 3.2GHz figure is the boost clock, IIRC, which I don't think is going to be a factor in either console, especially since it refers to use cases where only one or two cores are engaged. The "Flute" leak suggests an all-core clock speed of 1.6GHz, but I'm sure AMD can go much higher -- just not all the way to 3.2GHz. Somewhere between 2.5GHz and 3GHz, I'd say.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
So it'll be equivalent to a Ryzen 7 3700X? If so, that's quite the jump in performance.
No, just because core counts are there doesn't mean that it'll be the same as a desktop processor. If they're going to keep that form factor and that price down, it's going to be much lower in clock speed. So the advertising might be great for core counts and whatever else, but it's going to be up to developers to properly multi-thread there games which is still a much larger issue than it should be on PC.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nice.The rumor suggested Sony will retail it for 499 while taking around 100$ loss themselves for first few months

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
A friend of mine just bought a Ryzen 7 3700X for his new PC today and he was excitedly telling me about it over lunch. Nice to see that PS5 will have a similar CPU.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
people talking about price, we have to keep in mind it's not gonna be 2019's prices... it's late 2020. Also not standard market prices. Sony's prob getting these in PS5 for about $150. I'm team $399.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
No, just because core counts are there doesn't mean that it'll be the same as a desktop processor. If they're going to keep that form factor and that price down, it's going to be much lower in clock speed. So the advertising might be great for core counts and whatever else, but it's going to be up to developers to properly multi-thread there games which is still a much larger issue than it should be on PC.
I figured it would be underclocked for thermal reasons, but I was mainly speaking in terms of the closest comparison we can make right now (hence the use of the word "equivalent").

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Early next year when the first mobile Zen2 CPUs release we will have an estimate on how powerful the CPU in the PS5 will be.

It will be much less powerful than any Ryzen 3000 desktop CPU

Oct 28, 2017
Another reason PS3 and earlier backwards compatability would be beneficial to PS5 is PS Now. It makes the library improve tenfold for people that cant or don't want to stream in an instant.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone ELI5? Exactly how much of a leap is this from the PS4?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I figured it would be underclocked for thermal reasons, but I was mainly speaking in terms of the closest comparison we can make right now (hence the use of the word "equivalent").
Closest consumer chip, sure. How Sony/Microsoft (presumably) pulled this off so quickly is impressive as the third gen Ryzen stuff came out really recently. I'd still expect about 60% of the performance of the 3700X (at base clock), realistically speaking.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Someone explain this in Shounen Power levels and preferably not with Dragonball since I never watched it

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another reason for people to accept the reality that major third parties are increasingly going to treat base consoles as an afterthought and not bother with switch ports at all. It's happening already.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The PS4 Pro draws ~150w in intense games, the Xbox One X draws ~170 in intense games.

The 3700X desktop chips (probably a very close silicon match to what's shipping, varying mostly on clock speeds) draws about ~90w with PBO disabled, or 110W with it enabled.

The Navi 5700 draws ~170w when highly stressed.

It wouldn't be crazy to expect the CPUs to run around the ~2.8-3GHz mark, imo. It really depends on how of a power hog they're willing to ship the base consoles as, and how much they want to dedicate to the GPU + Storage requirements. I'm expecting an ultrafast Gen4+ SSD to suck up a few watts when stressed, for sure. That's still ~1+ GHz below where the desktop chips run at, but 2GHz seems low for CPU. I'm sort of expecting them to push closer to the 200w range.

Yeah, I wasn't aware the Ryzen Mobile 3000 series is just a Zen+ refresh, as modiz kindly pointed out. I can certainly see the final clock speed of a Zen 2-based mobile APU landing somewhere between 2.5GHz and 3GHz.

Last edited:

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I actually dont know what any of this means, but I tried using my scouter and

giphy.gif