• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yea this kinda went unnoticed because it seemed to be obvious, but in the previous wired article only 8 cores were confirmed, not the number of threads.
Yesterday famitsu and then sony themselves confirmed 16 threads

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
CPU upgrade and SSD were the leaps consoles needed

Wonder what they will sell this for...

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Amazing news! So will this be based on a R7 style chip, maybe?

They don't make an 8 core R3 or 5 chip right?

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
yep, $499 incoming. there is absolutely no way it will be sold cheaper, because even at $499, they will take a loss.

PS: I am fine with that BTW

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It is, more directly, in the Japanese press release on the SIE website. No english version is currently available.

www.sie.com

次世代コンソールゲーム機 「プレイステーション 5」に名称決定 2020年年末商戦期に発売

ソニー・インタラクティブエンタテインメント(SIE)は、次世代コンソールゲーム機の名称を「プレイステーション 5」(PS5)に決定し、2020年の年末商戦期に発売することをお知らせいたします。

Machine translation:

Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) has announced that its next-generation console game console will be called "PlayStation 5" (PS5) and will be released at the end of the year 2020.

PS5 is equipped with a custom SSD capable of ultra-high-speed access and a custom chipset made by AMD, and the load time of the game will be a thing of the past, making it possible to realize a game experience as imagined by creators, dynamic and beautiful Become. In addition, the controller is equipped with haptic technology instead of the conventional vibration technology, and the L2 and R2 buttons are equipped with adaptive triggers that feel resistance, so that you can enjoy the overwhelming immersive gaming world. Become.

<Hardware overview>
● Console game console
-Custom SSD for ultra-high speed access

-AMD custom chip -CPU: x86-64-AMD Ryzen ™ "Zen2", 8 cores / 16 threads
• GPU: AMD Radeon ™ RDNA (Radeon DNA) -based graphics engine

・ 3D audio processing unit
・ Up to 8K resolution output for games
・ Designed for compatibility with PlayStation®4 titles
・ PlayStation®VR compatible
● Controller
-Equipped with haptic technology-
Adopting an adaptive trigger that makes L2 and R2 buttons feel resistance
● Physical media
・ Ultra HD Blu-ray
・ Capacity as a game disc is 100GB
SIE will create new experiences through PS5 and take entertainment to a higher level.

Oct 30, 2017
With this... yep, one version of PS5 for the entire generation is pretty well given now ( of course slim version mid gen but no pro ).

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I think this kind of dictates that Xbox do likewise, and PC owners will probably need 16-thread (or core) CPUs to maintain parity next gen.

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
the more I hear about the PS5, the more expensive it seems to be. are we gonna see a $599 launch price? =/

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the specs of the current CPU for reference?

Oct 28, 2017
All I care about it backwards compatability. PS4 is a given, but I want to see how far back it goes. I want full PS1, 2, 3 and 4 compatability.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So it'll be equivalent to a Ryzen 7 3700X? If so, that's quite the jump in performance.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
CPU upgrade and SSD were the leaps consoles needed

Wonder what they will sell this for...

Now that their first parties are reliable sellers and they have PS+/PS Now subscriptions I'd say they go back to the old model of taking a hit on every unit sold just to get them in the hands of customers.