• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like an underclocked 3700 then. I'm thinking $400 with a $500 sku with higher storage which would be a hell of a deal but the market seems pretty price sensitive above that.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll be retiring my 4-core, 4-thread 6600k in the near future then. Maybe the Zen 3 processors will be out by next-gen.
Sort of in the same boat, but I have a 6700k. Maybe late 2020 is when I upgrade. What video card are you using btw?

Still waiting for Sony to tell us something about this damn console, all this silence has me before concerned
We know a lot more about the PS5 now than we did for the PS4 at the same time before its launch.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I could see the Custom Ryzen 2 CPU's be at 35W. It would still be a powerful CPU and still a very, very big leap from the last gen CPU's

I think it's a mistake to launch it at $499. $399 is the sweet spot and with the slowing economy soon rearing it's ugly head

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I long to feel the excitement I once felt waiting for Socom 3 or Socom Combined Assault or Socom Confrontation to launch back years ago. Please Sony Gods. Fulfill your destiny. Give it to us.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's at least twice as powerful as my 3770k. Hm...

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It will be a custom APU made specifically for PS5. It will have the same amount of cores as some Zen2 desktop parts and the core architecture will be very similar to Zen2 obviously but it certainly won't be a same part as anything available in PC space. Not that it matters much but still.

What is the difference between Zen 2 and Ryzen?

Dumb question, I know.

Jul 26, 2018
From my rough tests: Ryzen 7 3700X CPU alone consumes about 63W under full load and worst-case scenario being 79W at 3.2 GHz under Prime95 stress test. Keep in mind though that this power consumption results may not be 100% representative of the CPU inside PS5, as it is highly likely that their CPUs will be heavily tuned/clocked lower to meet the console manufacturers' power consumption requirements and as such the max power consumption of the 8C/16T CPU inside consoles may not even be close to what I just found using the desktop counterpart.

Any idea, or guess, of what's the TDP of the PS4's Jaguar? Just to understand if ~60W is in range, or too much, for typical values. PS4's GPU seems to be 75W.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Aren't those CPUs going to be outdated again in like 2 years. Just like the ps4's.

Ps4's was outdated before release, it was inferior by far to anything they had on even laptops. Jaguar was like a ultra-moble class CPU.

Sounds like this time we may be getting something much closer to their flagship, and Ryzen has proven to be a very good CPU.

Oct 31, 2017
If this means that i can use ALL my ps4 games i currently have with possible upgrade of even ps pro level then its day one for me especially at 499 or lower!! Does everybody think this is the case.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Aren't those CPUs going to be outdated again in like 2 years. Just like the ps4's.

Hell no. Jaguar CPUs would have been Dog Shit had they existed in 2009.

Even first-gen Ryzen from Q1 2017 would still be an awesome console CPU (at 2.4 to 2.8 GHz) in late 2020, and we now know both PS5 and Scarlett are getting Desktop-class ZEN 2 CPUs with 8 physical cores and 16 threads via SMT, running at probably high-end laptop clock speeds. Looks like it'll be more or less right around 3.2 GHz.

Now we still need to know how much L3, L2 and L1 cache will be in the console CPUs.

I think the L3 is probably going to be, at most, half that of a Ryzen 3700x. Thus, 16 MB L3 instead of 32 MB.Again, at most. I would not be surprised to see just 8 MB L3 in console Zen 2 CPUs. Maybe necessary, to leave room for more than 44 GPU CUs.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

Dumb question, I know.
Ryzen is the name of AMD's mainstream / end user CPU products based on Zen microarchitecture.
Zen 2 is the name of the second generation of this microarchitecture.
So these are essentially different things - one is a product for one niche of the market and another is the tech which this product is built upon.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Sort of in the same boat, but I have a 6700k. Maybe late 2020 is when I upgrade. What video card are you using btw?

Just an AMD 480 4GB. It also needs a big upgrade, but I can hold off for the next round of cards.

Pretty much everything besides my case is going to be overhauled for next gen. It had a great run, but it's showing it's age more and more.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Zen 2 is the codename of the CPU architecture. And Ryzen is the actual name of the AMD's CPU lineup.

Zen is 1st gen Ryzen released in 2017
Zen+ is 2nd gen Ryzen released in 2018
Zen 2 is 3rd gen Ryzen released this year in July

I figured as much after I Google'd thought it was just short for Ryzen lol

thanks.

I'm impressed next gen will have a CPU architecture literally from this year.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Everyone who keeps bringing this up is only setting themselves up for disappointment. Especially in regards to the PS3.
What PS3 games are even out there that folks would want? I think it is just easier to want PS2, PS4 and PS5 games working on it. Most other stuff has gotten remasters or remakes.

At this point, Ni No Kuni is on ps4,.. I would say GTAIV, FFXIII, MGS games, and Socom are some of the last pieces of content that are truly missing. Not that I am speaking for everyone though.

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We know a lot more about the PS5 now than we did for the PS4 at the same time before its launch.

How much did we know? I recall that a few months before the PlayStation Meeting where the PS4 was introduced, there were some rumors regarding 4GB/8GB of GDDR5 which was quickly dismissed by many users of the old forum, because it was and I'm quoting: "impossible for a console to get 8GB of GDDR5 at a $399/$499 pricepoint".
Other than that, the DS4 was leaked even earlier I recall.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What does this mean in Dragonball Z power level terms?

If PS3 was imperfect Cell, and PS4 was Perfect Cell, this would be Cell X

Cell-x.jpg

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
What PS3 games are even out there that folks would want?
Lots of them.

Let me just pick one genre to illustrate - racing games.

Some racing games that aren't available on modern machines but are available on PS3 include:

Gran Turismo 5 and 6. GT Sport exists, of course, but GTs 5 and 6 represent the last single-player focused GT games released, and both have way more cars than GT Sport.
The Motorstorm games. There's nothing like them on PS4 and with Evolution having been closed they won't be on PS5 either.
Outrun Online Arcade. Licensing issues will most likely prevent this appearing as a new release on PS5.
Split/Second: Velocity. A somewhat niche racer (developer also shut down). Available on PS Now but would be better to have locally.
ModNation Racers/LBP Karting. They're not great racing games but they have unsurpassed track design tools. There's nothing else like these games on PS4.
FUEL - stupidly huge open world racing game. This isn't a particularly great game but again, there's nothing really like it.
Ridge Racer 7. At the moment it's the last traditional-style home console Ridge Racer game.
Daytona. Another classic arcade racer - a subgenre which is quite lacking on PS4.

The list could go on for a while - I've left off a lot of more obscure stuff and some games that I don't really know a lot about. This is just one genre and I suspect the list could be pretty easily doubled in size.

Most other stuff has gotten remasters or remakes.
This isn't true. I know it seemed like there were huge numbers of remasters - most especially near the beginning of this generation - but there was a huge number of PS3 releases. Only a fraction of them have gotten remasters.

Oct 30, 2017
How much did we know? I recall that a few months before the PlayStation Meeting where the PS4 was introduced, there were some rumors regarding 4GB/8GB of GDDR5 which was quickly dismissed by many users of the old forum, because it was and I'm quoting: "impossible for a console to get 8GB of GDDR5 at a $399/$499 pricepoint".
Other than that, the DS4 was leaked even earlier I recall.

We knew that Microsoft was going to have THE MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE and was going to destroy Sony.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Let's suppose we are heading Holiday 2020 and both consoles, PS5 and Xbox scarlett are very similar in power, specs, etc.

BUT one costs 499 and the other one 599. Without specifying which one costs more than the other, would you choose brand over the price?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of them.

Let me just pick one genre to illustrate - racing games.

Some racing games that aren't available on modern machines but are available on PS3 include:

Gran Turismo 5 and 6. GT Sport exists, of course, but GTs 5 and 6 represent the last single-player focused GT games released, and both have way more cars than GT Sport.
The Motorstorm games. There's nothing like them on PS4 and with Evolution having been closed they won't be on PS5 either.
Outrun Online Arcade. Licensing issues will most likely prevent this appearing as a new release on PS5.
Split/Second: Velocity. A somewhat niche racer (developer also shut down). Available on PS Now but would be better to have locally.
ModNation Racers/LBP Karting. They're not great racing games but they have unsurpassed track design tools. There's nothing else like these games on PS4.
FUEL - stupidly huge open world racing game. This isn't a particularly great game but again, there's nothing really like it.
Ridge Racer 7. At the moment it's the last traditional-style home console Ridge Racer game.
Daytona. Another classic arcade racer - a subgenre which is quite lacking on PS4.

The list could go on for a while - I've left off a lot of more obscure stuff and some games that I don't really know a lot about. This is just one genre and I suspect the list could be pretty easily doubled in size.

This isn't true. I know it seemed like there were huge numbers of remasters - most especially near the beginning of this generation - but there was a huge number of PS3 releases. Only a fraction of them have gotten remasters.
Just a small correction, Split Second is on Xbox One and PC though, you can play it in modern hardware.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Just a small correction, Split Second is on Xbox One and PC though, you can play it in modern hardware.
Indeed, and the same might be true for other games on the list. The question I'm answering isn't about games that can't be played on modern hardware though, it's about what PS3 games people might want to play again. Someone with a PS3 copy of Split/Second and a PS5 might be happy to be able to play on PS5 if that was possible, but might not be all that interested in the idea of buying a new Xbox machine and an Xbox copy of the game just to play it.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's suppose we are heading Holiday 2020 and both consoles, PS5 and Xbox scarlett are very similar in power, specs, etc.

BUT one costs 499 and the other one 599. Without specifying which one costs more than the other, would you choose brand over the price?
Well considering I can get Xbox exclusives on my PC, I'd just get the PS5.
Also, only if there are enough compelling games to get on PS5. If there isn't, I'll just wait.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question, I know.
Zen is the architecture.
Ryzen is a processor family based on that architecture (consumer platform) along with Threadripper (enthusiast/high-end desktop) and Epyc (servers).

No. They aren't going to be the fastest thing around, but this is significantly better than the PlayStation 4, relative to what it launched with.
The PS4's CPU was considered to be outdated and low-end even at launch. Many PC gamers have opted out of upgrading their CPU this entire generation because what they already had back then was so much faster than the PS4. You'll still get better performance than a PS4 Pro/XB1X with a mid-range Intel CPU from 2011.

The PS5 will have a modern architecture and is probably faster than anyone's PC which still has an older quad-core CPU in it.
Zen 3, which is speculated to have four threads per core rather than two, will likely be shipping by the time the PS5 is actually released (assuming it's Q3/Q4 2020) but that won't make it horribly outdated. The system is likely going to be $600 or less, so it was never going to be high-end.