• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 27686

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If it's otherwise equivelant but just running at a lower and more stable clock then we're still in for an absolutely insane jump in CPU performance. I'm kind of worried this'll be based on the mobile Zen 2 though like the PS4/Xbox One were built on the mobile AMD chips of the time.

Indeed, Zen 2 is good and a 8 core CPU even if it runs at 3Ghz, can do a lot more than current gen consoles. I believe it won't bottleneck the GPU, at least not at the same level of the current gen. Zen 2 mobile it's still far away and I believe it won't be based on those, but Zen mobile ain't that bad either.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
this, and the ssd, is going to be the biggest upgrade.

I'm so excited dude. Not just for the improvements to playstation but what this will mean for everyone on every platform.

We were stuck with slow, cheap laptop hard drives and netbook CPUs that were already outdated in 2013 clear now into 2020. Now we're getting the contemporary high end for the CPU and SSDs as the baseline, which is going to affect every game made from now on. This is so exciting.

Imagine the graphical prowess of Sony's first party games now running at 60 fps and without limitations to allow for loading that have now become so common place and obvious (although, commendations to devs for so far hiding them as well as possible).

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Sony's latest PS5 details: the Digital Foundry analysis

"There's welcome confirmation of hardware-accelerated ray tracing features in the PS5 graphics core, along with an example from EA chief studio officer Laura Miele of how the technique may be deployed - specifically in calculating more realistic ambient occlusion and ray-traced shadows. We've seen these features in some of the Nvidia RTX-supported titles on PC and as a first step into real-time hardware ray tracing, it may not match up to what we're seeing in PC games like Control, but as with any console, expect to see developers get more from the technology as the generation progresses. In the meantime, a look at Nixxes' RTX implementation for Shadow of the Tomb Raider may give some idea of the kind of effect Miele is referring to."

"In truth, the shift to solid-state storage is hugely important, not just in terms of access times and loading speeds but because it brings mass storage - and a colossus increase in data - much closer to the CPU and GPU than we've ever seen before. In its Scarlett trailer, Microsoft even refers to their SSD as 'virtual RAM' - and the implications here in leveraging the processor in ways we've never seen before becomes a little clearer. More detail and more variety resulting in richer and more compelling worlds. The sky's the limit."

16x9_2133x1200_highres_sony_playstation_5_drawings.png

"There are some further takeaways from the Wired article that I enjoyed - specifically, the confirmation that the bizarre Brazilian patent for a new console-like (if rather extraordinarily shaped) design is indeed a PlayStation 5 development kit. Sony's designs for development hardware always make a statement, but rarely reflect the look of final consoles. However, with that said, doubling down on cooling does seem to be a key aspect of the dev kit design - more so than anything we've seen before."

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
True but this is basically a luxury, gotta wait or save up if you really want it day. Or as one wise sage once told us "get a second job"

Waiting would be fine if they actually dropped the damn price, the PS4 still cost 300€ where I'm from. It actually better to just take the hit and buy it day 1.

Lol that sage got burn real bad that generation.

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably going to hurt some feelings, but if you can't afford $499 then you can't afford $399 either.

Aren't those CPUs going to be outdated again in like 2 years. Just like the ps4's.

Absolutely not. They won't be the latest tech, but current gen console CPUs were straight garbage when they released. It's no comparison at all.

Not going to happen, but... 499$ and removing the mandatory PS+ need for online/ multiplayer would be perfect.

PS+ is how they will be able justify subsidizing this hardware even at $499 so yeah it's not happening.

Last edited:

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
This is probably going to hurt some feelings, but if you can't afford $499 then you can't afford $399 either.

This isn't necessarily true. $399 is realistically $500 with tax and a game. If I said I can't afford $499 I mean I can't afford $600. Let's be honest when PS3 was $599 that's at a minimum $40 in tax depending on the county/state. Plus a $60 game? You're at $700.

I agree with the sentiment. Imo if you have to question whether or not you can afford it....don't even bother going to the store for it, you can't. Wasteful debt is unnecessary debt.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Zen is the architecture.
Ryzen is a processor family based on that architecture (consumer platform) along with Threadripper (enthusiast/high-end desktop) and Epyc (servers).

No. They aren't going to be the fastest thing around, but this is significantly better than the PlayStation 4, relative to what it launched with.
The PS4's CPU was considered to be outdated and low-end even at launch. Many PC gamers have opted out of upgrading their CPU this entire generation because what they already had back then was so much faster than the PS4. You'll still get better performance than a PS4 Pro/XB1X with a mid-range Intel CPU from 2011.

The PS5 will have a modern architecture and is probably faster than anyone's PC which still has an older quad-core CPU in it.
Zen 3, which is speculated to have four threads per core rather than two, will likely be shipping by the time the PS5 is actually released (assuming it's Q3/Q4 2020) but that won't make it horribly outdated. The system is likely going to be $600 or less, so it was never going to be high-end.

Zen 3 is only two threads per core but unified L3 cache between CCX.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Indeed, Zen 2 is good and a 8 core CPU even if it runs at 3Ghz, can do a lot more than current gen consoles. I believe it won't bottleneck the GPU, at least not at the same level of the current gen. Zen 2 mobile it's still far away and I believe it won't be based on those, but Zen mobile ain't that bad either.
The bottleneck will probably be from ray tracing if devs decide to use it, it really just destroys the GPU, AMD's hybrid solution that PS5 is likely going to use will be interesting to see though, perhaps better than Nvidia's current solution, who knows.
Still though, a Naughty dog game with ray traced GI lighting built from the ground up, makes me care about 60fps a lot less.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
I just built my pc 6 months ago with a 9700k(OCed to 4.7) and 2080ti.

I ain't worried.

I will most likely purchase a Ps5 though afew months after release.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
What is this obsession for $399.00 for the PS5? Do you want a weak ass console? Shit.

I'll buy whatever the price is as long as the games are there to justify it, this isn't about that. 399 isn't about what I want, it's about what I expect.

We'll buy a powerful and expensive console because we're enthusiasts, but enthusiasts only get you so far. A $500 console in this day and age just isn't going to penetrate the mass market and with the PS4's success at $399 twice in the gen I just don't see them throwing away the sales millions of consoles to please a tiny percentage of the hardcore (who would still buy at $399 anyway).

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Likely a day 1 purchase for me what we'll see. Launch pricing could swing because of the China fuckery and state of the global economy a year from now.

When I bought a PS4, I was work a full time job so $399 for a system that would provide 1000 hours of entertainment was a no brainer.

I'd be fine with $499, but very interested in what Sony & Microsoft do here. I think that Microsoft is more willing to take the hardware loss to get people into the whole services ecosystem. Ultimately though it will come down to the combination of pricing and exclusives.

I think the BC aspect of this + a UHD makes a major go from my end.

I really hope there's a strong competitive set of TVs to coincide with this launch. I want to blessed that VVR, HDR, high refresh goodness

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Lots of them.

Let me just pick one genre to illustrate - racing games.

Some racing games that aren't available on modern machines but are available on PS3 include:

Gran Turismo 5 and 6. GT Sport exists, of course, but GTs 5 and 6 represent the last single-player focused GT games released, and both have way more cars than GT Sport.
The Motorstorm games. There's nothing like them on PS4 and with Evolution having been closed they won't be on PS5 either.
Outrun Online Arcade. Licensing issues will most likely prevent this appearing as a new release on PS5.
Split/Second: Velocity. A somewhat niche racer (developer also shut down). Available on PS Now but would be better to have locally.
ModNation Racers/LBP Karting. They're not great racing games but they have unsurpassed track design tools. There's nothing else like these games on PS4.
FUEL - stupidly huge open world racing game. This isn't a particularly great game but again, there's nothing really like it.
Ridge Racer 7. At the moment it's the last traditional-style home console Ridge Racer game.
Daytona. Another classic arcade racer - a subgenre which is quite lacking on PS4.

The list could go on for a while - I've left off a lot of more obscure stuff and some games that I don't really know a lot about. This is just one genre and I suspect the list could be pretty easily doubled in size.

This isn't true. I know it seemed like there were huge numbers of remasters - most especially near the beginning of this generation - but there was a huge number of PS3 releases. Only a fraction of them have gotten remasters.
Yeah but they cannot do every game. I know you are not saying that either.

However, my point was that a lot of great games got remasters/remakes. A good amount of classics. I get it. There is always room for more. But folks also got a lot.

Also, RIP Evolution Studios.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, if you can't afford $499+ then just wait, I think it's reckless to appeal to you guys and set the bar low for the next gen with $399 consoles, compromised consoles were perhaps a major reason for refreshes so soon into current gen. Whilst I'll continue to buy mid-gen upgrades, I expect them to be pushed back as the launch machines will be more then capable.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know what size SSD will come with the PS5? I currently have a 2TB plus 4TB external on mine and I'm starting to run out of space. I really wonder how much data is duplicated for these games currently. SSD's are still kind of pricey and these are custom so I kinda doubt >1TB.

PeterLegend

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Very excited for the PS5, but I won't be jumping in at launch. I'll wait two years before jumping so it'll be 2022, I remember having an expensive paper weight in the PS3, PS4 and Wii U after buying at launch.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy whatever the price is as long as the games are there to justify it, this isn't about that. 399 isn't about what I want, it's about what I expect.

We'll buy a powerful and expensive console because we're enthusiasts, but enthusiasts only get you so far. A $500 console in this day and age just isn't going to penetrate the mass market and with the PS4's success at $399 twice in the gen I just don't see them throwing away the sales millions of consoles to please a tiny percentage of the hardcore (who would still buy at $399 anyway).

$400 being the absolute limit for an electronic device that will give you possibly thousands of hours of entertainent and remain current for 6 or 7 years is just ridiculous to me. No other product has this stupid threshold.

I can't really see how $400 is affordable but $500 is not. If the $100 is a stretch, I'd say either wait until a price drop happens or invest in game streaming services.

100 percent agreed.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think its launching at $399.99 they are not making the PS3 mistake twice unless they have a real good reason

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
In a time people pay $1000 for smartphones that last 2 or 3 years is it really that crazy to see consoles costing $500 when they last 5/7 years now?
I'd rather spend $500 and have a better console than a $400 console that will be exploding for half of its lifespan and die during year 4 tbh.
You'd think that would be a fairly easy to understand and agreeable sentiment among people, but for some it's not. A difference of $100 (hopefully) would make a sizable difference in terms of the future proofing.

I can, however, understand price increases in other countries and the toll that takes. Those folks up North have it rough on everything video games.

Edit: oh but you do have free healthcare soooo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what size SSD will come with the PS5? I currently have a 2TB plus 4TB external on mine and I'm starting to run out of space. I really wonder how much data is duplicated for these games currently. SSD's are still kind of pricey and these are custom so I kinda doubt >1TB.

No, but 1TB seems the most likely. For people that play a lot of games cheap external storage will probably be a necessity.

I think its launching at $399.99 they are not making the PS3 mistake twice unless they have a real good reason

They do have a good reason. It's gonna be a very appealing product and worth the price. Scarlett will be $499 too. So unless people are going to abandon consoles en masse they will be fine.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
$500 for a box that doesnt do anything until you feed it $60-70 to play games isnt good value.
Especially when theres a $50 13tf alternative..

Edit: with exchange rates it's possible this launches at $700 in canada. Certified flop if that happens.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
If It is based on desktop processor will be really underclocked. The cpu can't consume more than 30w.

So if it is a ryzen 7 it will be 2.8-3ghz max

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
$400 being the absolute limit for an electronic device that will give you possibly thousands of hours of entertainent and remain current for 6 or 7 years is just ridiculous to me. No other product has this stupid threshold.

Again for users like us, I agree.

For people who use consoles as their COD/FIFA box, with maybe the occasional exclusive thrown in, $500 is a really, really tough sell. And you don't get to 100M without these people.

Oct 25, 2017
Again for users like us, I agree.

For people who use consoles as their COD/FIFA box, with maybe the occasional exclusive thrown in, $500 is a really, really tough sell. And you don't get to 100M without these people.

Those people can wait until the price stops. FIFA, COD, Battlefield, NBA 2K, Madden, Fortnite, Minecraft...all the most popular games the extreme casuals play are gonna be cross-gen for at least two years and maybe longer. I don't think Sony cares if keep buying and playing those on PS4 for a couple of years. It's not like the mass migration is going to happen overnight regardless of the initial price. The PS4's peak basically just ended this year.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Console will be beefier next gen because with fully realized cloud they'll become enthusiast devices and they're also becoming gateways into subscription services. Sony might sell at a bigger loss than usual in order to get/keep people in their ecosystem and could even have something like a subsidized plan where a sub fee gets tracked into a PSNow subscription.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Very excited for the PS5, but I won't be jumping in at launch. I'll wait two years before jumping so it'll be 2022, I remember having an expensive paper weight in the PS3, PS4 and Wii U after buying at launch.

Really depends on backward compatibility.

It's why its a big deal at launch, no so much for the lifetime of the console.

If I can just boot up my PS4 digital Library at launch, I'll be sold. If not, it'll probably be smart to wait till fall 2021 (sans a major launch title worth it)

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
What kind of bus speed does 8k need to have for the GPU/RAM? Anyone know?
For instance the gtx 1070 can play games at 4k but at 30 or lower FPS due to limitations on memory speeds.
Wtf is this going to use?

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think 500 is too much. These consoles are the best and bangfor your buck IMO. Considering they do way more than just play games.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
This isn't necessarily true. $399 is realistically $500 with tax and a game. If I said I can't afford $499 I mean I can't afford $600. Let's be honest when PS3 was $599 that's at a minimum $40 in tax depending on the county/state. Plus a $60 game? You're at $700.

I agree with the sentiment. Imo if you have to question whether or not you can afford it....don't even bother going to the store for it, you can't. Wasteful debt is unnecessary debt.

The cool thing about gamepass is you get Halo Infinite day and date

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The design for that dev kit looks kind of cool. Wonder if they will go for something similar on the final kit.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
but consoles go down in price

that 100M doesn't happen in the first 2 years

Of course not, but those 2 first years obviously matter.

Let me just ask this, what were the negative consequences throughout the gen for Sony when they launched at $399 not once, but twice, and with the same shitty mobile CPU both times ?

Why would they risk a sales slowdown for PS5 early on when they know if they launch at an attractive price absolutely everyone will buy the damn thing ?

$500 would definitely be a strategic shift, that's why I'm surprised so many people expect Sony change that after 7 years.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Make the consoles $550. And with BC you can just trade in your ps4 towards that price and still be able to play your current-gen catalog.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will probably need at least a 12-core desktop processor now to exceed the consoles and account for overhead

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I hope Gamestop will still be around so we can trade in our PS4's for half decent pricing.
I really hope it's $449 or less. $499 would be cost prohibitive for me (i.e. I won't be buying as many launch games). If it's $499 I might wait for a PS5 Pro model a few years down the road.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
As someone mentioned, I would approve of a price higher than $399 only if PS5 has 100% PS4 BC on day one, as the sale should make up for the price increase + I get to keep all my games.

Otherwise, the only thing that would theoretically make me upgrade is a new Tekken game years down the line.