• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
It wont be over 500 the re not thay stupid. People were saying same thing about ps4. 500 minimum etc.

Im going with 450 or 499.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm banking on $449 though I wouldn't be surprised to see it cheaper.

Sony will happily take a loss on the hardware (assuming they are) if it gets people into the ecosystem. They make billions from PSN.

Oct 31, 2017
HZD is still the best looking game this gen for me, and imo last gen KZ2/KZ3 were the best looking too.

Wouldn't surprise me if GG has a launch game ready, but I expect it to be Killzone 4. IIRC they specifically said Shadowfall was not Killzone 4 and I am sure they want to continue that franchise. HZD 2 probably in 2022 or so.

I cannot see this being priced at 399

Same here. IIRC even the PS3 sold out at launch with its 599 price tag in 2006. Sony was losing ~200 per console then if I remember right.

You put the PS5 at 399 then it'll be another major loss leader for Sony. I think $499 is an okay expectation with $549/599 a possible one as well. I am personally expecting it to be $499 with Sony eating a loss at launch, probably around $100. It will sell like hotcakes if it's indeed a beast that it seems to be and it has plenty of big games at launch. I think both Sony and MS will be bringing some big games at launch.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
AnotherDayAnotherDollar I can hardly imagine they return to a linear not super popular shooter after the success of Horizon Zero Dawn. HZD has much more appeal to the big public and people love Aloy. There will be no Killzone.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
399 USD, and Sony will cut whatever corners they need to to get there, if they're not willing to take the hit.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Any loss Sony takes on the ps5 they will make up in plus subscriptions, ps now subs, and psn. They'll sell a $499 system for $399, and make it up easily.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I'm more curious about clock speeds. Will they play it safe as consoles tend to do?

How many GTX 1080s is this duct taped together?

Not even an 8th of one. GTX 1080 is capable of >8.9tflops.

Intel's best CPU with 18 cores, (reminder Intel>AMD on a per-core basis), can barely manage 1tflop by itself.

Wait 'til we know about PS5 GPU before asking about comparisons to PC GPU's lol.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Any loss Sony takes on the ps5 they will make up in plus subscriptions, ps now subs, and psn. They'll sell a $499 system for $399, and make it up easily.

I'm not so sure console makers will ever sell systems at a loss ever again. Especially after the PS3.

I'm very curious to see what price we're getting but I'd totally be down for a $599 again, though I know I'm in the small minority.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I'm more curious about clock speeds. Will they play it safe as consoles tend to do?

Not even an 8th of one. GTX 1080 is capable of >8.9tflops.

Intel's best CPU with 18 cores, (reminder Intel>AMD on a per-core basis), can barely manage 1tflop by itself.

Wait 'til we know about PS5 GPU before asking about comparisons to PC GPU's lol.

Hahaha I just wanna know because I bought a PC last year and I don't want the money to be wasted.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Do you really want every game hamstrung by having to work on a lesser machine?

To hell with that.

Give us one beastly bastard of a console and have it be the best it can be for a reasonable price.
What about only one version at 399$ and stop giving these companies ideas on how to get more money from us

So having a pro in later years is a better idea? i would love a beastly console too but i don't think 400$ will be the price for a beastly one.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Cits got $499 written all over it....Nailed on...My original prediction was maybe they could squeeze it out at $449...$499 it is. £450 UK.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I can't see 449$ happening unless Sony are willing to lose money per console for the first two years.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so sure console makers will ever sell systems at a loss ever again. Especially after the PS3.

I'm very curious to see what price we're getting but I'd totally be down for a $599 again, though I know I'm in the small minority.

PS4 was sold at a mild loss though around 60$ and they expected to recoup that loss with a typical purchase from a day 1 customer: couple games or PS+ subscription.

www.eurogamer.net

Sony expects to recoup PlayStation 4 hardware loss at launch

PlayStation 4 hardware will make a loss at launch, but Sony expects to immediately recoup the costs when a typical user…

So it's pretty safe to assume, that they won't sell the PS5 with a profit, considering how beastly it sounds, I could see an initial 100$ loss.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The CPU being an 8-core 16-thread Zen 2 doesn't automatically mean that the console will be priced at $499. CPU product lines include various parts that serve different markets. The chip in PS5 will most certainly be a mobile CPU (well, APU to be exact), it won't be in the same class as the behemoths used in desktop PCs, so it will have different specs than 8-core desktop CPUs and it will be cheaper. It won't be as cheap as the Jaguar CPU in current consoles but the difference won't be that big to add $100 to the price. I still think that the target price will be $399 again.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I wish I understood this techno babble better to know what all this means and if it's a big deal. I assume it's a solid situation for the PS5, which excites me for both it and the next Xbox as their competition with each other ups the ante as to what can be delivered to us.

Don't want to go off topic or start some useless console war argument but do you guys think announcing details like this is potentially risky in any form? Like, could MS learn of this and push their developers/designers/whatever to deliver an even stronger system comparatively?

Oct 25, 2017
399 USD, and Sony will cut whatever corners they need to to get there, if they're not willing to take the hit.

If they were really concerned cutting corners they wouldn't be using the latest tech they can get from AMD.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar I can hardly imagine they return to a linear not super popular shooter after the success of Horizon Zero Dawn. HZD has much more appeal to the big public and people love Aloy. There will be no Killzone.

GG is building up a second team for a MP shooter. It might not be Killzone, but it could be.

I wish I understood this techno babble better to know what all this means and if it's a big deal. I assume it's a solid situation for the PS5, which excites me for both it and the next Xbox as their competition with each other ups the ante as to what can be delivered to us.

Don't want to go off topic or start some useless console war argument but do you guys think announcing details like this is potentially risky in any form? Like, could MS learn of this and push their developers/designers/whatever to deliver an even stronger system comparatively?

No and nothing they said was a surprise to any one that has been keeping up with the topic.

Last edited:

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I'd wager on a 499 as well, but that's partly for selfish reasons. Anything more and I think I'm unlikely to be an early adopter.

Ghost of Tsushima bundle at launch?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I understood this techno babble better to know what all this means and if it's a big deal.
PS4 and Xbone use low-power netbook CPU.

PS5 and Scarlett will use top of the line high-performance desktop CPU. If it is easier for you, we are getting an equivalent of new Intel i7 CPU in new consoles.

It's a big deal.

Central console hardware is cast in stone since a while ago. Both companies can only tweak clocks, or maybe increase ammount of RAM.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

PS5 and Scarlett will use top of the line high-performance desktop CPU. If it is easier for you, we are getting an equivalent of new Intel i7 CPU in new consoles.

It's a big deal.

Central console hardware is cast in stone since a while ago. Both companies can only tweak clocks, or maybe increase ammount of RAM.

I still feel like an idiot trying to understand this but I thank you for giving me a better understanding.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
What kind of bus speed does 8k need to have for the GPU/RAM? Anyone know?
For instance the gtx 1070 can play games at 4k but at 30 or lower FPS due to limitations on memory speeds.
Wtf is this going to use?
Should be less than 4x to 4k, due to buffer compression and bigger polygons having better performance. (Less variance between pixels better compression and pigger polygons being smaller than a pixel quad and thus increased performance.)

I really doubt many games go for native 8k.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
8c/16t is a really nice confirmation. As is hardware raytracing, and a proper SSD rather than some kind of hybrid. There are a lot of things confirmed now that many of us would have considered highly unlikely 12 months ago!
Hahaha I just wanna know because I bought a PC last year and I don't want the money to be wasted.
It's never wasted =) Plenty of games on PC that aren't on console. Plenty of ways to play cross-platform games on PC that consoles can't (mods most notably).

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me if GG has a launch game ready, but I expect it to be Killzone 4. IIRC they specifically said Shadowfall was not Killzone 4 and I am sure they want to continue that franchise. HZD 2 probably in 2022 or so.

You put the PS5 at 399 then it'll be another major loss leader for Sony. I think $499 is an okay expectation with $549/599 a possible one as well. I am personally expecting it to be $499 with Sony eating a loss at launch, probably around $100. It will sell like hotcakes if it's indeed a beast that it seems to be and it has plenty of big games at launch. I think both Sony and MS will be bringing some big games at launch.

I'd be surprised if they had another Killzone title for launch as it wasn't a huge critical success and I imagine they'd want games that don't carry the weight of a mediocre previous entry as their launch titles. Same goes for Knack!

I think the price will be £399.99 in the UK. Anything over £400 is a much tougher sell to people and they're likely going to have much stronger competition from Microsoft this time around.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
think the price will be £399.99 in the UK. Anything over £400 is a much tougher sell to people and they're likely going to have much stronger competition from Microsoft this time around.

I think they could go higher for the initial Christmas launch period, and then drop the price the next year, i'm not sure what state the pound or the economy will be in by then though.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'd be surprised if they had another Killzone title for launch as it wasn't a huge critical success and I imagine they'd want games that don't carry the weight of a mediocre previous entry as their launch titles. Same goes for Knack!

I think the price will be £399.99 in the UK. Anything over £400 is a much tougher sell to people and they're likely going to have much stronger competition from Microsoft this time around.

Microsoft? No. BC with PS4, Deaths Stranding, TLoU2 and GoT + the inevitable Spidey 2 and HZD2 should be more than enough to keep the majority inside Sony's ecosystem. They have absolutely nothing to fear from MS.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this makes much sense, to be honest. Killzone got four major chances to be successful (I'm assuming nobody expected Liberation or Mercenary to rack up major sales) and although it never really failed, it also never took off. Unless I'm missing some major Killzone sales milestone announcement, It looks like Horizon exceeded the sales of any Killzone game on its first go. It's clearly a more appealing series and it'd be mystifying for them to make a fifth major Killzone (and seventh game in the series) ahead of a second Horizon game.

Oct 25, 2017
"Every enemy has a heartbeat, a blood type, actual bowels full of poop, a brain that can jostle inside their skulls when thrown to give them concussions, a set of kinks and phobias and a favorite color."
*game launches*

"I thought every NPC was supposed to have unique circulatory systems and defecation schedules Naughty Dog!! BOWELGATE!!!"

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Just built my computer last year, and I'm wondering whether to pull my hair out and prepare to upgrade or leave things be. I haven't been keeping up with every post, but do we have any idea what the likely GPU will be?

Oct 25, 2017

Xbox is probably gonna cost the same so that won't really matter for competition

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Both consoles will be £499 imo. What MS have going for them is Gamepass which should shave about an additional £100 off the cost though pending MS release more then Halo Infinite (they usually release more the 1 first party game at launch).

Oct 27, 2017
So if I was wanting to run multiplat titles for next-gen at 1440p, 60 fps maxed out, are we thinking I'd need to upgrade from an i5 8600k OC'd to 4.8 Ghz?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Probably both.

We know they hired a lot of people with experience in multiplayer games, Simon Larouche (director of Rainbow Siege Six) is heading a new team, the studio has gone from 250 people to +400, and they wouldn't do that just to release another Horizon....so something is in the works for sure, mb another Killzone, maybe a new IP, but surely mp related

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So if I was wanting to run multiplat titles for next-gen at 1440p, 60 fps maxed out, are we thinking I'd need to upgrade from an i5 8600k OC'd to 4.8 Ghz?

potentially. The console CPUs are likely to run slower and have less cache, so some brute force on pc can be applied. And maybe '8 cores' is really '6 for games' (hope not)

an 8/16 core cpu would be a safe bet but you may be fine

worth looking at GpU and SSD too

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

It's a big deal.

I7? those configurations in laptops are like $1700! I'm looking at. Surface right now.

sure this this is gonna costs $500??! I'm guessing it might be $600

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both consoles will be £499 imo. What MS have going for them is Gamepass which should shave about an additional £100 off the cost though pending MS release more then Halo Infinite (they usually release more the 1 first party game at launch).
Gamepass is probably making a loss, I highly doubt it is shaving the cost of anything anytime soon.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel like an idiot trying to understand this but I thank you for giving me a better understanding.

Don't worry about numbers or anything: an important part is getting a proper treatment next gen, and that's really good news.

Long story short, the CPU is the main "brain" of the computer. It handles AI, game logic, some physics, etc. It is what ensures the game world runs. The GPU (graphics card) just draws it all and puts it on screen, although the lines can sometimes be blurred from a layman's perspective. But still, the CPU is very important, and a low end CPU will bottleneck a system. Unfortunately, this generations of consoles were just really unbalanced with shitty CPUs. Heck, a really bad CPU can even bottleneck your storage system even if you get an SSD, because it isn't even fast enough to process the information coming from the SSD. It'd have to be really bad to do that, but I mean, that's where we're at.

Okay so

Think about a netbook, like, a shitty super thin laptop, in like, 2011. Imagine two years later you use THAT CPU in your next gen console. Imagine that hardware still being in use clear into 2020. That's what we run our games on. Would you try to use a shitty netbook from 2011 for gaming? Lol. Giving it a good graphics card can only do so much.

Whereas this time we will getting high end deskstop CPUs you'd find in a high end gaming PC that is high end the same year that it comes out, 2020, or at very least 2019.

That's a massive difference in approach, surely you can see.

Also consider, games like Destiny 2 have to run at 30 fps on console, but they can run on laptops with low end CPUs from just a few years ago at 60 fps if you drop the settings a bit. That's how shitty the CPUs are. When they can't handle all the instructions thrown at them the system is bottlenecked, and it's better for them to just run it at a solid 30 instead.

With such a CPU power leap, this is almost like a 1.5 or even 2 times generation increased compared to what will be happening with the graphics card, which with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X has been pretty decent mid end for a while now. Finally having both of these components up to modern high end standards means a properly balanced system, which will be much more efficient and should even be a little bit easier to handle. This is exactly what we want and hope for.

Then you add an SSD instead of a shitty laptop 5400 rpm hard drive which had been standard long before 2013, and well, let's just say this is going to be a very exciting upgrade indeed.