• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkSlayer

Jan 18, 2018
Pakistan
What exactly is the news here? It was confirmed in February that PS5 will use AMD's 8-core CPU based on Zen 2 cores. The 16 threads part is logical to assume given how AMD CPUs work.

DarkSlayer

Jan 18, 2018
Pakistan
Previous to this news, do you have a links that point to an official confirmation on this?

It was in the WIRED exclusive back in February.

"The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon's Navi family,"

www.wired.com

Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation

Don't expect it anytime in 2019, but the next PlayStation console is well on its way—and it's packing ray-tracing support and a loadtime-killing solid-state hard drive.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

"The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon's Navi family,"

www.wired.com

Don't expect it anytime in 2019, but the next PlayStation console is well on its way—and it's packing ray-tracing support and a loadtime-killing solid-state hard drive.

That is not the sames news, as it didn't confirm the 16 threads.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

www.wired.com

Well, it's no been confirmed. So that's the news.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is the news here? It was confirmed in February that PS5 will use AMD's 8-core CPU based on Zen 2 cores. The 16 threads part is logical to assume given how AMD CPUs work.
Anything that you think is "logical to assume" about a technical specification has probably instead been the subject of dozens of discussions containing two (or more) sides that eternally circled around the same set of arguments for and against the assumption. Confirmation about something that was previously only a logical assumption (and therefore open to question regardless of how silly you'd imagine those questioners to be) is news.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
AMD CPUs follow a multi-thread approach. Anyone with a little bit of hardware knowledge would have zero doubts that PS5's Zen 2 CPU would not feature multi-threading.

Not really. You can't say that it was impossible for the PS5 CPU not to have 16 threads CPU. The reason why this is being reported all over the place is exactly because of that.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Who's to say that they won't, on a case by case basis? It's not like you can't have SMT disabled for an app (like, say, a game from PS4 expecting all threads to correspond to a physical CPU core) in a closed off system.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
Thanks for the estimate. I have an original RTX 2080 with an i7-8700K, so my CPU is the only thing I might have to consider getting a change soon.
I'ts not like games won't work on anything less than 8core/16threads the day ps5/scarlett will be out. Your CPU is pretty beefy and will do good for a long time, don't worry about it.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Idk, price, power consumption, etc. there could be many reasons
There could be those reasons and I wouldn't rule out lowering technical aspects to keep price reasonable but at the same time their very clear messaging has been saying expect a decent jump in power. For that to happen the specs need to be considerably better than the PS4 Pro, and with an SSD coming into that playing field the price is going to be high.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
What is that in Turnips and Groats?
The standard meridian is 4 turnips for a chicken, or 50 groats, and about 12 turnips for a goat or 150 groats, your firstborn can usually be had for a couple of turnips, or, can be swapped out for a pig and half a horse! ;)

There are 25 groats to a £ (1 groat = 4p, therefore £1 = 25 groats!) - If you use the old money of £1 = 20 shillings & 1 shilling = 12p (or 3 groats) you actually get 60 groats to the £, but turnips is bad enough!...
Playstation 5 to cost 15k groats!! (new) 36k groats (old), and still you have to give half your animals and a small child away...!

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I know some of them words.

Alright, does this mean I will be able to play Destiny 2 at 120fps on console?

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
AMD CPUs follow a multi-thread approach. Anyone with a little bit of hardware knowledge would have zero doubts that PS5's Zen 2 CPU would not feature multi-threading.
It's kind of amazing that we have 15 pages anyway, even before the February Wired article there were reasons to believe both next gen consoles would use Zen 2, not to mention Jaguar also had 8 cores/16 8 threads. Clock speed is what matters, and we don't know yet.

Last edited:

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
It's kind of amazing that we have 15 pages anyway, even before the February Wired article there were reasons to believe both next gen consoles would use Zen 2, not to mention Jaguar also had 8 cores/16 threads. Clock speed is what matters, and we don't know yet.

Pretty sure Jaguar was only 8 thread both PS4 and Xbox one cpu was 8 core 8 thread

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of amazing that we have 15 pages anyway, even before the February Wired article there were reasons to believe both next gen consoles would use Zen 2, not to mention Jaguar also had 8 cores/16 threads. Clock speed is what matters, and we don't know yet.
No quite, clock speeds are important but i wont matter without a good architecture

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I7? those configurations in laptops are like $1700! I'm looking at. Surface right now.

sure this this is gonna costs $500??! I'm guessing it might be $600

Ignore retail prices [and Intel's crazy profits].

Sony pays AMD for the R&D, and then Sony can go to any foundry they want, order manufacturing and purchase chips directly from them. For each chip, then they pay AMD a small royalty free.

Same happened for PS4. For ~350mm2 chip they paid ~100$ at launch, and they will pay something similar again for PS5 APU. If all goes well, they will pay ~$100-120 for the combined top-of-the line desktop 8c/16t Zen2 CPU and ~1080Ti-class GPU [with RT].

That is how console makers are able to cram so much hardware in $400-500 box. They invest a $billion or two in initial planning/marketing/software supprot, purchase everything themselves in gigantic quantities, organize assembly, and then sell hardware to just recoup BOM. They earn their profits on software and services.

Can Sony still keep PS5 under $500?
Outside of the US? Sure.

:D

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Well, since I just did my first PC build, I'm glad I opted for a 9900k instead of the 9700k. Hopefully I can keep up through the end of next gen.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The world doesn'r revolve around the UK mate, so if it's $499 it will be 499€ and hence between £450-£499.

And that goes for both the PS5 and the next-Xbox, so not advantadge in prioce for any of them
Mate, don't be an aggressive dick for no reason. I didn't mention anything about anything revolving around the UK, especially not the price of a console outside of it. For all you and I know it could $449.99 in the US and therefore around £400 in the UK.

zireael

Nov 7, 2017
Might be a bit Oot, but now that we know PS5 is a 8 core 16 threads console, what would be the better upgrade from a 7700k between a 3700x/3800X and a 9700K ? ( 16 Gigs of 3000Mhz DDR4 and RTX 2070 to play at 1440p ultrawide and 4K )
7700k is still good cpu for gaming. Do you need upgrade now? If not, wait for Zen 3 next year.
I have 6700k and i planing to upgrade after PS5 launch.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Mate, don't be an aggressive dick for no reason. I didn't mention anything about anything revolving around the UK, especially not the price of a console outside of it. For all you and I know it could $449.99 in the US and therefore around £400 in the UK.

Sorry if I sounded dickish mate...in any case, if it's $449 in the US it will be 449€ and therefore closer to £449 than £400, specially after Brexit, were the pound and the euro will probably reach parity

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the estimate. I have an original RTX 2080 with an i7-8700K, so my CPU is the only thing I might have to consider getting a change soon.
You will be completely fine with 6c/12t on Intel CPU for next gen unless you are aiming at 100fps+ then it could become a bottleneck.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
You will be completely fine with 6c/12t on Intel CPU for next gen unless you are aiming at 100fps+ then it could become a bottleneck.

That's for the heads up. I normally get 60+ FPS with my current games, so that is something to look into. Probably won't get a new CPU for another few years, I reckon.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Don't forget Intel tax lol. They've had a problem with high prices for a while now. Instead look at the Ryzen 3700x. It's a much more reasonable $350ish depending. And that's a very similar CPU to what we'll be getting. It is an excellent CPU, not quite as good for gaming as an i7 although, like, barely.

Although of course in consoles, the boxes will need to run them a lot cooler, which means lower clock speeds, which means the CPU doesn't quite have to be as good. Heck I believe it would mean they'd have an easier time with yields since even if a piece of silicon can't run at the rated speed for a sold desktop CPU at 3.6 or whatever it is GHz, it wouldn't matter because they'd only need like, idk lets say 2.4GHz. I'm talking a bit out of thin air here but you get the general picture. We won't get literal top end CPUs in terms of performance per se, but we will get the same architecture, basically the same CPUs in general, just a bit slower in order to fit in a console. Should result in something a bit cheaper for Sony and Microsoft.

Also, bulk pricing. If Microsoft and Sony can get AMD bulk product for something they kind of basically already make, and don't even require a ton of R&D on, you bet they're going to get a MUCH better price for them.
Nice Tks for the clarification guys...I'm still salty a Surface laptop costs that much, but I'm getting PS5 days one!

zephiross

Mar 27, 2018
7700k is still good cpu for gaming. Do you need upgrade now? If not, wait for Zen 3 next year.
I have 6700k and i planing to upgrade after PS5 launch.
Ok thanks :) It's not that I really need it now, but I want to buy the next generation 3080ti for cyberpunk 2077, and knowing that I will need to change my CPU since game design will change to accommodate more cores thanks to next gen console, I'd rather not have to buy all of this at the same time. But if you think zen 3 will be available next year, it is indeed better to wait !

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope that my R5 2600 + 1070 can hold 1080p60 for next gen titles...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I just hope that my R5 2600 + 1070 can hold 1080p60 for next gen titles...
Your CPU and GPU are weaker than next gen consoles, and most of those games will probably run games in checkerboard 4k 30 in order to push for better graphics, so sorry but i would say that 1080p 60 is going to be impossible, maybe 1080p30 will.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018

Got a 8700K myself and while I don't plan to keep it that long it could very well be good enough to last the whole next gen or at least for the next few years. Clocks are high and there's a reasonable chance games won't be allowed to access all cores/threads on the new consoles because some will be reserved for the OS. Also CPU-dependent details like the draw distance can always be lowered.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Got a 8700K myself and while I don't plan to keep it that long it could very well be good enough to last the whole next gen or at least for the next few years. Clocks are high and there's a reasonable chance games won't be allowed to access all cores/threads on the new consoles because some will be reserved for the OS. Also CPU-dependent details like the draw distance can always be lowered.

Man I'll be worried if my 8700k can't keep up with next gen. Already not looking forward to new GPU cost that have better Ray Tracing technology.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I expect some parity between the consoles. Xbox got blown out when it was both more expensive and noticeably weaker. Nobody will make that mistake again.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Well, since I just did my first PC build, I'm glad I opted for a 9900k instead of the 9700k. Hopefully I can keep up through the end of next gen.

I built my Pc 6 months ago with a 9700k and 2080ti and honestly I feel like I won't have to upgrade my cpu for a couple years. It's still a super beefy cpu and I have it OCed at 4.7 ghz. I know it only has 8C/8T but intels single core performance is pretty darn good.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Your PC takes more cycles out for the OS usage than a console would reserve for its OS.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
8c/16t CPU
Navi based GPU with RT support of some type
16-24 GB of RAM if being generous
SSD / M.2 drive

That is a lot heat to pack, will Sony pony up and drop in sufficient cooling solutions so PS5 isn't furnace that makes F35 sound like silent jet?

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've 'scanned' this topic and didn't see it, if its been asked 50 times I apologize :) - What is the theoretical PC GPU/CPU combo that this is most likely to perform like. I wan't to see how badly my kids' PC's are gonna get thwacked in the next two years. (I built them both their own budget gaming g4560/1050ti/16GB Ram about 2.5 years ago - and they've been EXCELLENT performers)