• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Previously it was the PS4, but it seems now that the Champions League is back this has been upgraded to the PS5.

This will be a huge marketing boost for the PS5 seeing how CL is the biggest annual sporting event worldwide.

6fx6ZXWh.jpg

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Pretty sure CL deal existed even when Xbox was the console of choice for FIFA?

Anyway, Dualsense is listed as a feature in the FIFA 21 page, so we know who's got the deal.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Playstation "always" had marketing rights with CL even when Xbox had FIFA marketing.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
All this PS5 hype, I hope I can get one at or near launch.

Hallo everyone. Plz buy Xbox.

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
Champions League is a UEFA tournament. It doesn't really mean anything for who will be marketing FIFA this year.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
And this is how Playstation wins Europe, again.

edit: ok that's obviously jumping to conclusions, but yeah, CL marketing is absolutely massive in Europe. I can't think of any other widespread, popular, long-lasting event that would have a bigger impact, nothing comes close imo.

Last edited:

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure CL deal existed even when Xbox was the console of choice for FIFA?

Anyway, Dualsense is listed as a feature in the FIFA 21 page, so we know who's got the deal.
Hasn't PlayStation been a sponsor going back to PS2? It used to pop up on the ad bars quite a bit in the mid 00s. That's the earliest memories I have of UCL, not sure how far it goes back

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do they have fifia marketing for ps5? They already have mainland europe, fifa would guarantee sony stay dominant in the uk.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I do find it intriguing that this gets praise but people love to knock the piss out of MS for trying to do something similar with the NFL. Sure they fumbled that opportunity at best, but clearly there is something to be gained in associating your gaming brand with a major sporting competition, and MS hasn't been in any position to replace Sony as a UCL sponsor

OP
OP
Toumari

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Didn't know they'd been the sponsor since the 90s to be honest.

I removed my comment about the FIFA stuff as I wasn't sure if that had any barrings, but apparently not. However like Nightengale said FIFA 21 does advertise full support for DualSense which may indicate that deal remains.

lucionm

Jan 10, 2018
Good for Sony.
If MS really plans to conquer space in Europe, this is a critical point where they should be investing heavily ...

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Yea but new fifa is also probably with ps5. On their website they refer to dualsense many times for fifa 21 .
Probably, but this is not representative for that.

This is just a matter of UEFA billboards, that's it. Playstation and Sony adboards in FIFA (since they had the Champions League a couple of years ago) and PES before it were present on all versions of the game, including Xbox. It's just UEFA.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is more of a continuation considering PlayStation has long sponsored the Champions League since the late 90s. But the fact PlayStation 5 is sponsoring now is somewhat interesting. IIRC, whenever sponsorship from the new hardware kicked in, it was after launch (or in PS4's case, weeks before launch), not several months before launch.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's fair. I do question the value of such mega-deals going forward, though. I mean surely that battle is over?
They use it for marketing games and other PS products too. An equivalent marketing campaign to the level of the CL's reach would likely cost an absolutel fuck load more and probably not be anywhere close to as effective.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is more of a continuation considering PlayStation has long sponsored the Champions League since the late 90s. But the fact PlayStation 5 is sponsoring now is somewhat interesting. IIRC, whenever sponsorship from the new hardware kicked in, it was after launch (or in PS4's case, weeks before launch), not several months before launch.

The season was stopped for Covid or this would not be in place now, it would probably have been in play when the new Champions League draw was made etc.