• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
So XSX is more powerful by a pretty clear margin, PS5 will likely have substantially faster load times?

I'm getting both day one either way, but of those two advantages I'll likely make the XSX my main console for third party games. PS5 for exclusives.

The PS5 back compatibility messaging seems pretty murky...
I'd be very surprised if there's a noticeable difference in loading times just looking at raw numbers. I'm not actually watching this thing though so maybe Sony has some 'magic' that I'm not aware of.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Why post the boosted clock speed on the spec sheet? It'll never stay there. This sounds like PS4 all over in regards to it being a jet engine. 9 was the number all along and it looks like they just tried to push it higher after seeing 12 for the Series X.
They are running at continuously boosted frequencies, no? They better have a good cooling solution!

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Also some of these comments are kinda embarrassing. Like, calling the PS5 poorly designed when every developer has given it nothing but praise is some ridiculousness

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
circa 2x faster presuming nothing else is bottlenecking the load. Game loads on both these machines though should be completely minimal.

As a bit of a noob, what advantages do you think the PS5 can have over the XSX/PCs with such an advantage?

The biggest problem I see so far is that it's not full BC with PS4.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
honestly XSX and PS5 seem super close to me overall

If this is the new dev standard we are in for some insane games

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
The specs look awesome, looks like both companies took very different approaches. Looking forward to seeing DF videos comparing early multiplatform games. Would be cool to see the pros and cons of each approach.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Not as straightforward of a console as I expected. No 100% backwards compatibility blows, but the rest of the stuff if fascinating. Will be fun to see it in practice, especially compared to XBX.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So the difference between the Series X and PS5 TF wise is a full PS4. Just shows what a leap this next gen is.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
I just wanna know the price. Specs almost don't matter to me and most casual gamers. If it's expensive, then no buy from me until it gets cheaper.

XBOX is never an option for me since it doesn't play any games I wanna play. (And I have a decent laptop.)

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sold on the use of variable frequency on the CPU/GPU. I'd think a fixed spec would be best for devs.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I actually feel like he is bullshitting us here. This is a 9.2TF GPU....They have added "Variable" as a last minute thing imo.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the PS5 doesn't even stay at it's full TF # most of the time?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how loud that will be and variable frequencies is quite strange, wonder how that will work out for devs and user experience when it gets hot.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I think Microsoft is going to somehow make the price as similar as possible

But I don't see it being cheaper than $499 USD, I'm thinking $599. Sony could price this really good though, and I'll buy if the price is good and software is good

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I have to wonder if third party devs will really take advantage of the insane SSD speeds on PS5, considering that both XSX and the vast vast majority of the PC market for the next few years will all be using slower drives

Honest question, for whom they made this presentation? If it is for devs these are basic things explained in basic way so it looks like "explain me like i am five" to devs. If it is for consumers this is boring.
It's not for general consumers

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
As a bit of a noob, what advantages do you think the PS5 can have over the XSX/PCs with such an advantage?

The biggest problem I see so far is that it's not full BC with PS4.
I think that is the advantage. Loads.

I do not think many developers will necessarily design their entire gameplay experience around something so much slower than main memory. But I imagine some PS5 exclusive could have some "you are instantly transported here" things in scenes. That is always fun.

Nvmes full on throughput with those large files is great, but it is still not main memory. Intel Optane helps bridge that gap a bit better, but still, is not main memory.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Sony's approach kind of reminds me of Apple's pc approach where they focus really heavily on the drives and load times because that's what the majority of users notice. A lot more people complain about load times than pixel count, etc. That being said, not very many PC gaming enthusiasts own a Mac. Just different (and very valid) approaches, seems like.

Also Jason I love you but please stop with the "most impressive" thing lol, both machines are very impressive