• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
2 Tflops, .3 Ghz
giphy.gif

Better be cheaper than the X
Only getting it for exclusives anyway, and thank you based MS for releasing Xbox games on PC

Oct 26, 2017
Will non-Nintendo developers finally focus on compression this gen?

Because with 4K textures, about 6 games will fit on that SSD and the memory cards will probably be >$100 each.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Even the CPU is slower?

And the GPU is gonna run at 2.2GHZ? What's Sony gonna do to stop another console of theirs to sound like a jet engine?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 |OT| I couldn't give 2 flops [User has been banned for this OT Title]

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Series X has a faster CPU, a faster GPU, faster memory, and a larger SSD.....

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That'll make it cheaper.
Definitely getting worse multiplats like in the PS2/3 eras though.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Variable frequency on a console? What is it based on? Temps? That would be bad.

Ok, not exactly:
So how does boost work in this case? Put simply, the PlayStation 5 is given a set power budget tied to the thermal limits of the cooling assembly. "It's a completely different paradigm," says Cerny. "Rather than running at constant frequency and letting the power vary based on the workload, we run at essentially constant power and let the frequency vary based on the workload."

An internal monitor analyses workloads on both CPU and GPU and adjusts frequencies to match. While it's true that every piece of silicon has slightly different temperature and power characteristics, the monitor bases its determinations on the behaviour of what Cerny calls a 'model SoC' (system on chip) - a standard reference point for every PlayStation 5 that will be produced.

"Rather than look at the actual temperature of the silicon die, we look at the activities that the GPU and CPU are performing and set the frequencies on that basis - which makes everything deterministic and repeatable," Cerny explains in his presentation. "While we're at it, we also use AMD's SmartShift technology and send any unused power from the CPU to the GPU so it can squeeze out a few more pixels."

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, yeah this sort of disappointing. Only because Microsoft came out swinging first and had all the cards to begin with

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018
the worrying thing, MS knew this. The 2.25GHZ is the absolute limit....It's not going to run at that 100% of the time.

I'll put money that it runs at 2000MHZ and theyve pushed it just for this.
I thought it was really weird that Microsoft kept specifying that the Xbox uses locked clocks. I thought to myself, isn't that what all console's do?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
That's definitely going to be cheaper than the new XBox. Though i wonder how much since i think that one will be really expensive.

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017
Considering all the specs i understand why they're very close. Each console has it's strengths.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At long last, 4k UHD BD drive!

Tf is what I expected, but I am disappointed that it's not at least 1tb SSD

Porsche85

alt account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I mean I will probably get one for exclusives but this pretty much solidifies the series x as my main console.