• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
So the takeaway from my limited technical knowledge is that both machines are extremely powerful and because they've both come at problems in different ways there's actually negligible difference overall?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sony's messaging seems pretty messy

lot of ifs, ands, buts, and asterisks it seems like

I wonder what this could have all looked like if they had done a proper reveal prior to this talk

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Wait, the PS5 doesn't even stay at it's full TF # most of the time?

Essentially, yes, which is why this feels like they just tried boosting it because they felt 9 (which is in line with what the Github leak said) was too low compared to the Series X, but that's basically where it'll sit the majority of the time.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
If Series X can beat PS5 to market by over a month, and be priced at $499 or less, this is going to be very interesting

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
To be honest, faster loading is more important to me than minor differences in graphics. Have to see though how much faster it will be. In low numbers it doesn't matter that much, like even 3" vs 6". But something like 10" vs 20" would be big.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
User banned (1 day): Platform wars
I don't understand why MS went with the more powerful system. Their studios never put out visually impressive games, and third parties probably won't develop games with XB as the base system.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
As long as Sony keeps up their first party games I don't really care if the other console is more powerful.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
So in the summer or once your PS5 has collected some dust, your games will run worse?

Will be interesting to hear more about this.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
People should've got the memo.
It's either a big tower to cool (12Tflops) or a smaller one (9-10Tflops) that are already pushing the limits of their enveloppe.
There's no 14Tflops, there never was any.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I actually feel like he is bullshitting us here. This is a 9.2TF GPU....They have added "Variable" as a last minute thing imo.
"its dangerous to rely on teraflops for performance" to quote mark cerny from the stream.

Yikes. This is some massive damage control on their system being slower.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
I think that is the advantage. Loads.

I do not think many developers will necessarily design their entire gameplay experience around something so much slower than main memory. But I imagine some PS5 exclusive could have some "you are instantly transported here" things in scenes. That is always fun.

Nvmes full on throughput with those large files is great, but it is still not main memory. Intel Optane helps bridge that gap a bit better, but still, is not main memory.

Thanks!

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Bigger open worlds with less load times, less need for corridors also those are mainly used to hide load screens

Time will tell, but these posts sound more like comparing a SSD to a HDD, not one SSD to another. Once you're loading at 1GB/s and beyond, how much are you really loading in a scene? It's probably more about access time than the raw read rate. And both drives are so fast I really question if the results are going to be that far apart - it's not like games load 20GB of data a second every second or anything.

To me it feels like people are partially clinging to it because it's the one area that is better, but in my opinion, PS5 will still have load times (just not 20+ second load times), and the load times between the two consoles will be fairly minimal. You're not gonna see PS5 at 10 seconds and SX at 60 seconds, imo it'll be like 2 vs 4, etc. But we'll see, maybe I'm totally wrong. And obviously for indie games and non AAA games it'll be pretty irrelevant too. Your average 2GB or less pixel art indie game like Celeste etc likely won't see any difference between the systems, SSD or resolution-wise. Maybe instant resume would be the deciding factor there, dunno if the PS5 does instant resume or not.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
imagine thinking that gamers wants slightly faster loading times instead of more powerfull cpu\gpu...
if this thing is more than 400 dolars just for the ssd, sony is totally out of his mind...

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I am getting a Series X first.

I think that it is undeniable that the PS5 is easily outsell the XSX.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know that yet.

The SSD performance loads gamers fasters. And if devs take advantage of that, that means the PS5 could theoretically run games better.
Doubtful for third party devs who will largely be developing for the lowest common denominator, and both the XSX and PC markets will basically all be using slower drives

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Well, good to see Microsoft make a significant effort to be the stronger console after the debacle of Xbox One. Xbox One they dropped the ball. Xbox Series X brings the king of hardware back and has significant edges in the CPU and GPU.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
12 Tflop vs 10.2 Tflops.

The differences in games will be minimal. Diminishing returns.
yep. 16.67%
nnBIcjU.png

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Somebody explain the comparison to Xbox Series X to me, please.

The Xbox Series X is hands-down the more powerful machine, but it is seemingly a more simplistic approach - lots of brute power. The PS5 is the 'weaker' of the two, but has been developed with lots of systems and tricks designed to allow devs to squeeze more out of it. Or at least, that's how it seems so far.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
imagine thinking that gamers wants slightly faster loading times instead of more powerfull cpu\gpu...
if this thing is more than 400 dolars just for the ssd, sony is totally out of his mind...
I wanted faster loading times. Can you imagine a Bloodborne without loading times????

Nnghhhh