• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Can't wait for AMD to finally announce the full specs and improvements of their RDNA2 architecture, really want to know what 10.2TF RDNA2 translates to in PS4 flops.

16TF? 18TF? lol 20TF?

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I must speak my frustration. (sorry for this)
Why the heck do you reveal a console and leave me with so many questions.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for AMD to finally announce the full specs and improvements of their RDNA2 architecture, really want to know what 10.2TF RDNA2 translates to in PS4 flops.

16TF? 18TF? lol 20TF?

SSD is a game changer that's for sure and as what Cerny have said with how fast devs can be up and running with PS5.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Right now, with the way things are going with folks getting laid of, i hope both Sony and MS take some bailout money and use it to bring their consoles under $400.
Cant see myself spending more that $400 in this current situation.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I tried to find an explanation but couldn't. This was awfully managed by Sony. Show PS4 demos of what can be done with PS5. Console features. Something.

If not at least let it part of GDC virtual event so people have the expectation that it's going to be very technical.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

In my mind they haven't, and that makes his presentation frustrating.
People were getting restless anyway, so it's time for Sony to just be a bit more open about their plans, you can't keep talking and not showing.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I don't blame the average consumer. That's %100 Sony's fault doing it this way. I mean no one from the marketing department told them that this was a stupid idea? What did they honestly expect the millions who are going to watch to think of this?

Tease the console design and controller with what can be possible with the new hardware like the Spider-Man fast loading demo. Show something the average joe understands.

"But but but this is intended for developers" is a ridiculous excuse. Intended for developers then send it to developers not advertise it publicly when you showed nothing and you know people are waiting for information. Your competitor had some media invited to their office to assemble the console already.
Maybe they had two choices: 1.) Put out SOMETHING minus games and console reveal or 2.) Stay silent for another 2-3 months. They chose the former. This stream was meant primarily for developers. Maybe we should feel fortunate that we got to see this info at all?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
My dream now would be PS5 with full BC at $399, and also a $499 model with 1650GB storage and a second controller.
That is definitely a dream. Doubling the storage alone would easily account for that $100.

Maybe they had two choices: 1.) Put out SOMETHING minus games and console reveal or 2.) Stay silent for another 2-3 months. They chose the former. This stream was meant primarily for developers. Maybe we should feel fortunate that we got to see this info at all?
Or the third and most obvious option.

You have Cerny sit down with the marketing team and create a 10 minute consumer focused tech breakdown video, where you explain it like you would to a non developer. This is not a hard thing to do.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Primary for developers in a video named road to PS5. How hard is it to have demos of PS4 running on PS5 to show the power of the console? They are already testing the games.

Again put it as part of virtual GDC. You know, the Game DEVELOPERS Conference?

And feel fortunate about a company giving information about a product they're going to sell? Are you serious? This isn't charity. They're not handing these for free.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020

Yes, we should be fortunate that a billion dollar company is giving us info on a $400+ product they want us to buy.

Jesus the delusion lol.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

But they did invite DF and who knows else to come and learn about the architecture from Cerny, but they chose to embargo that information until the GDC talk went live, which put the focus on that talk.

If they'd let publications put their articles out first, then that would have made a huge difference, IMO.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
That is definitely a dream. Doubling the storage alone would easily account for that $100.

No, it wouldn't. NAND flash chips are not as expensive as you would think (I've been told that despite consumer SSD prices, an internal 1TB SSD would actually only cost Sony or MS about $50), and simply going from chips of one capacity to chips of twice the capacity is even cheaper, because you're only paying the extra costs associated with higher yields rather than any additional physical hardware. I seriously doubt doubling the storage would cost any more than $30 or so.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
And feel fortunate about a company giving information about a product they're going to sell? Are you serious? This isn't charity. They're not handing these for free.
They have not revealed the console yet. This was not a reveal. Are you saying because they haven't revealed the console yet they're not trying to sell it? It's 8 months before launch. Sony really hasn't done anything out of the ordinary. It's MS that has been radical with their aggressive marketing approach. I think there's lots of credibility about the argument Sony doesn't wanna get fans TOO excited about next gen quite yet with all the games coming out this year.​

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have not revealed the console yet. This was not a reveal. Are you saying because they haven't revealed the console yet they're not trying to sell it? It's 8 months before launch. Sony really hasn't done anything out of the ordinary. It's MS that has been radical with their aggressive marketing approach. I think there's lots of credibility about the argument Sony doesn't wanna get fans TOO excited about next gen quite yet with all the games coming out this year.​

The way Sony are handling the build up is much worse than their stellar PS4 campaign.

At the moment all the momentum is with Xbox.

Confusion abounds regarding how robust their BC is.

The competition is more powerful and Sony haven't showcased anything to dispel that narrative, not even a tech demo.

They're coming off as complacent newcomers when they are supposed to be the current industry leader.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yes, we should be fortunate that a billion dollar company is giving us info on a $400+ product they want us to buy.

Jesus the delusion lol.

It's just a talk for a cancelled conference, it isn't a sales pitch to the customer, it could have just been shelved, so he feels fortunate to have heard Cerny give his talk. i don't think the buying bit comes into it.

Straffaren666

Mar 13, 2018
isnt the raw difference in flops 18%? with the higher ram bandwidth, i would imagine that would result in a minimum 20% resolution bump. so 20% more pixels vs better load times? im gonna have to go with pixels. load times are barely even a thing a nowadays since everything is open world and you only get fast travel right at the start and during fast travel. and its not like MS doesnt have an ssd. load times there will be much faster than current gen. i dont see anything taking more than 5-10 seconds max. 2.5 gbps can fill up the 13.5 gb ram in just 6 seconds.

their game resume system keeps several games in save state so initial loading times wont have that much of an impact.

if its true. time to cut ties with cerny and jim ryan. amd gave MS a pretty badass system with full BC. they arent at fault here.

Yes, the TF delta is ~18% and the BW delta is ~25%, but that doesn't necessary translate to 20% higher performance. The XSX likely has 4 SAs with 14 CUs/SA, compared to 4 SAs and 10CUs/SA for the PS5. The geometry engine is most likely identical. That means the PS5 will have ~22% higher geometry/rasterizer/ZROP performance. We don't yet know the ROP situation but it wouldn't surprise me if the PS5 will have a 22% higher ROP fillrate as well. A GCN SE is similar to a RDNA SA and GCN lost a lot of efficiency when the amount of CUs/SE increased beyond the sweetspot of 8-9 CUs/SE (I.E. compare Polaris (10/SE) vs Vega (16/SE)). I suspect the same will apply for RDNA. It's too early to predict the performance delta between XSX and PS5, but IMO it's more likely to be less than what the TF delta implies. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually around 10%, in the favour of XSX.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
The way Sony are handling the build up is much worse than their stellar PS4 campaign.

The competition is more powerful and Sony haven't showcased anything to dispel that narrative, not even a tech demo.

They're coming off as complacent newcomers when they are supposed to be the current industry leader.

I agree except for the last sentence. This is not a newcomer thing, this is.. specifically an industry leader thing to start a new generation with their fingers in their ass feeling like they have nothing to do. That's almost a tradition in videogame.

But yeah i agree with them being on wrong side of things, not building a momentum, but maybe it won't matter in the end. Microsoft is leading the match for now cause they take the lead with announcements and Sony is always late, compared and blurry in what they say about the PS5, but maybe in 6 month it wont matter.

Djavanes

Nov 15, 2017
SSD is a game changer that's for sure and as what Cerny have said with how fast devs can be up and running with PS5.
I don't see how, SSD could be a game changer, neither the sound engine. OK you could load data fast, but that doesn't change the game, unless your game have more then 400GB of data. But that is 50% of the total SSD size. So, it's not gonna happen. And developers will loose compatibility with PC and Xbox and switch? I doubt.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

And yet all these mainstream gamers following all this now care about is TF's and games. If games aren't ready to show, does it really matter?

LeFronge

May 5, 2018
United Kingdom
I'd do some reading - there have been some good responses from the dev community (there is a PS5 dev response thread i believe). There are a whole host of advantages i am not smart enough to explain that the PS5 I/O throughput and SSD can foster. The audio engine as well; it's about immersion. A lot of smart people have said this audio tech is a massive leap forward in game immersion, something gamers aren't acutely aware of but do definitely experience.

I don't see how, SSD could be a game changer, neither the sound engine. OK you could load data fast, but that doesn't change the game, unless your game have more then 400GB of data. But that is 50% of the total SSD size. So, it's not gonna happen. And developers will loose compatibility with PC and Xbox and switch? I doubt.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I missed it, there was no press release from AMD congratulating Sony and floating about their relationship with them. Any time MS did something about xsx, AMD had some sort of official statement following right after. Pretty strange given the secret sauce and deep partnership talks from last year's tech shows.

Narrow FOV is a design choice stemming from gamepad control scheme more than anything related to performance.
You are thinking due to stick sensitivity?

Doby

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair to Sony, they chose a timeline which has been thoroughly disrupted by the current health crisis. Not that Microsoft isn't also affected, but by shaping their message sooner and not planning it around a reveal event, theirs is a whole lot more coherent.

Sony have been quick to protect their workforce so anything that requires collaboration within the company is challenging when everyone is presumably working at a distance. This, I imagine, is the sole problem going forward.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to Sony, they chose a timeline which has been thoroughly disrupted by the current health crisis. Not that Microsoft isn't also affected, but by shaping their message sooner and not planning it around a reveal event, theirs is a whole lot more coherent.

Sony have been quick to protect their workforce so anything that requires collaboration within the company is challenging when everyone is presumably working at a distance. This, I imagine, is the sole problem going forward.
Perfect word to describe it.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Unless I missed it, there was no press release from AMD congratulating Sony and floating about their relationship with them. Any time MS did something about xsx, AMD had some sort of official statement following right after. Pretty strange given the secret sauce and deep partnership talks from last year's tech shows.

There was only that simple tweet from Lisa Su like she did with Xbox, but there was definitely a full Xbox Series X AMD press release on 3/16 with further information on the partnership as linked by Phil below.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well the one thing no one can deny is Sony's quick action to safeguard their workforce, they took no chances and it makes them look great.

And yet all these mainstream gamers following all this now care about is TF's and games. If games aren't ready to show, does it really matter?

The actual console/games will be the litmus test for sure.

But MS won't sit by idle and let Sony turn the momentum back to them, so I'd expect some surprises in store.

Valet Jay

Mar 20, 2018
Whether or not AAA publishers will be able to fully utilize Sony's proprietary technology remains to be seen. Maybe it really will be just faster loading times and better LOD transitions.

The only thing I am confident in saying is that the PS5 will be super easy to develop for. The extremely fast SSD will help the smaller developers spend less time optimizing their games.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Yes, the TF delta is ~18% and the BW delta is ~25%, but that doesn't necessary translate to 20% higher performance. The XSX likely has 4 SAs with 14 CUs/SA, compared to 4 SAs and 10CUs/SA for the PS5. The geometry engine is most likely identical. That means the PS5 will have ~22% higher geometry/rasterizer/ZROP performance. We don't yet know the ROP situation but it wouldn't surprise me if the PS5 will have a 22% higher ROP fillrate as well. A GCN SE is similar to a RDNA SA and GCN lost a lot of efficiency when the amount of CUs/SE increased beyond the sweetspot of 8-9 CUs/SE (I.E. compare Polaris (10/SE) vs Vega (16/SE)). I suspect the same will apply for RDNA. It's too early to predict the performance delta between XSX and PS5, but IMO it's more likely to be less than what the TF delta implies. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually around 10%, in the favour of XSX.
Microsoft are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Reminds me of the next gen speculation thread where Microsoft had to get power, but if they would be pricing themselves out.
If they were less powerful, well, that was disaster too.

CPU's are a wash basically, and that is great, everything else will scale according to resolution and bandwidth provisions.

Straffaren666

Mar 13, 2018

Reminds me of the next gen speculation thread where Microsoft had to get power, but if they would be pricing themselves out.

CPU's are a wash basically, and that is great, everything else will scale according to resolution and bandwidth provisions.

I'm not sure how your reply is relevant to what I wrote. There are advantages to scaling the clock frequency opposed to only scaling the amount of some resources of the GPU, since the former approach scales the performance of the entire GPU. We don't yet know exactly how MS have scaled the resources of XSX's GPU, but they most likely haven't scaled all the resources and it's unrealistic to believe that won't have a performance impact.

A part from that, I'm trying to stay out of the fanboy talk, but XSX seems to be a great console and I don't doubt it will have the performance lead for the next gen.

Oct 24, 2019
Right now, with the way things are going with folks getting laid of, i hope both Sony and MS take some bailout money and use it to bring their consoles under $400.
Cant see myself spending more that $400 in this current situation.

No chance they do that. Looks like you simply won't be joining next-gen day 1. And that's ok.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AMD is making an 80 CU gpu. i highly doubt that the scaling of CUs is still awful after a complete redesign plus an extra year of R&D for RDNA 2.0.

ps5 will have a 22% higher fillrate compared to a 36 cu series x. a 56 cu 1.82 ghz gpu will be on par if not better in every single way.

Cerny did say that 36 fast cus are better than 48 slower CUs so maybe you are right, but that remains to be seen.

regardless, the point i was trying to make was that the damage is already done because even if it is 10% like you said, the conversation will revolve around that for the rest of the launch and then the rest of the gen. sony has conceded the power talk which worked so well for them, and will be playing catch up the rest of the gen just like MS did this gen. Pheonix asked whats more important? resolution/framerate/performance vs loading and based on the initial response to the cerny reveal, no one seems to care about the ssd at all. everyone wanted more tflops.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Cerny specifically talked about game design and why levels were created this way. I don't know about Microsoft and no exclusive 1st party games at launch but for 1st party PS5 games it'll absolutely change game design.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I'm not sure how your reply is relevant to what I wrote. There are advantages to scaling the clock frequency opposed to only scaling the amount of some resources of the GPU, since the former approach scales the performance of the entire GPU. We don't yet know exactly how MS have scaled the resources of XSX's GPU, but they most likely haven't scaled all the resources and it's unrealistic to believe that won't have a performance impact.

A part from that, I'm trying to stay out of the fanboy talk, but XSX seems to be a great console and I don't doubt it will have the performance lead for the next gen.
Why on earth are we getting bigger GPU's or ever increasing efficiency gains then?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
AMD is making an 80 CU gpu. i highly doubt that the scaling of CUs is still awful after a complete redesign plus an extra year of R&D for RDNA 2.0.
ps5 will have a 22% higher fillrate compared to a 36 cu series x. a 56 cu 1.82 ghz gpu will be on par if not better in every single way.
Cerny did say that 36 fast cus are better than 48 slower CUs so maybe you are right, but that remains to be seen.
Agreed about RDNA2 Scaling - everything we know so far sounds amazing.

If full and optimal utilization of all 52 CU is happening most of the time, PS5 will be behind. I imagine the difference is going to come down to a dynamic resolution delta (as in time that can be spent at highest res due to on screen dynamics) in most titles.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

regardless, the point i was trying to make was that the damage is already done because even if it is 10% like you said, the conversation will revolve around that for the rest of the launch and then the rest of the gen. sony has conceded the power talk which worked so well for them, and will be playing catch up the rest of the gen just like MS did this gen. Pheonix asked whats more important? resolution/framerate/performance vs loading and based on the initial response to the cerny reveal, no one seems to care about the ssd at all. everyone wanted more tflops.

The power talk work well for them but it was also because they were cheaper .
We have to find out the price of these consoles cause if XsX more expensive it will effect things.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This is really interesting. I knew there was an argument, but I didn't know fully what it was. Hopefully DF can do some breakdowns for people like me.

It sounds like more CUs doesn't mean more everything. More TFs, yes. More RT, Yes. They will scale with CUs and Clocks. So the 17% increase.

TFs is one metric of performance, but TFs doesn't include all aspects of performance.

Who's saying MS is damed?
I think it's fair to to point out and understand the differences in system design and how they may be advantageous on both sides. TFs is not the only measure of theoretical performance, is that not okay to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.